The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Half-Life 2 sucks! (at a stretch). ;)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think the Antlion beach where you have to manipulate planks of wood to avoid stepping on the ground was brilliant, though. Especially when you're using the mechanic to find secret areas and climb on top of roofs and stuff.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if there is a LEAN mod anywhere? it's driving me nuts.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why people have such a big boner for leaning? I guess if you're used to doing it in other games you might miss it, but I don't. The game isn't really built around needing to lean.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think it would benefit quite considerably from leaning. Would make combat that little bit more interesting.

Lots has happened since I last posted, I'm back in City 17 wich a bunch of people constantly apologising around me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that physics puzzles are pretty contrived NOW but when the game came out it was pretty much the first game with a physics engine as realized as what it had.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, they were contrived then too. I mean, I can appreciate that they built a neat physics engine; the kinds of puzzles that they resort to are pretty obviously WE BUILT A FUCKING PHYSICS ENGINE NOW USE IT CANTILEVERS EVERYWHERE WOOOOOOOOOO though.

Which is to say, you can be the first person to do it and still overdo it.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINISHED.

Final verdict: Eh, I dunno. I'm too tired. I already started episode one, though.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle should I play the rest of this game? I was at Nova Prospect when I last played.
Cossix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle when you play through Episode 1 make sure you do it only using one bullet because I'm pretty sure that's the best way to play it! Use the gravity gun the rest of the time!

Note: Your one bullet is used to shoot a lock off a door!
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lock are you thinking of? I'm fairly certain they can also be removed with the Grav Gun.
bleak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get firearms before you get the grav gun in episode one I'm farily certain.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. You start with the Grav Gun from the very beginning. It's given seconds after the game starts. It's the weapons you find about a third or so in-game.
Cossix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lock through a door right when you first get a gun. It's the only time in Episode 1 that you absolutely need to use a bullet.
Max Cola

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you get an achievement in the XBox 360 version for getting through Ep. 1 only using that one bullet. But that's not the point!
The only girl I've ever loved was born with roses in her eyes. But then they buried her alive, one evening 1945, with just her sister at her side, and only weeks before the guns all came and rained on everyone...
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARVEYJAMES, I'd say keep playing it. Once you get back to City 17, the game really picks up again and it's pretty pimp the rest of the way. There is even a new tram ride like the one in the first game! Nova Prospekt or whatever is a bit boring though, yeah. Storming the beach with the antlions was quite a thrill, but like most of the gimmicks they throw you, they overstay their welcome just a little.

I've already used guns in the episode! Man, I don't know, I can't imagine just using the grav gun. You get swamped by zombies and antlions. Man, you get swamped way too easily in this game, it just becomes annoying and breaks all the tension, plus I feel like a jerk leaving Alyx to get swamped by antlions while I plug the holes. These guys really don't know how to pace action. Also, I wish Alyx wasn't all like OH YOU ARE SO SMART, DR FREEMAN all the damn time. It was better in half-life 2 when she only talked when she really wanted to, made her a stronger character. Also, why did she go all shy after she hugged us, WHAT IS SHE, A HIGH SCOOL GIRL? Also, FUCK Freeman, he didn't even try to comfort her after her little episode, GOD I'm getting tired of this jerk!

Back to episode one!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of replaying EP1 trying to play the 1 bullet rule (I think you can use grenades, rpgs etc though??). Should be interesting, may need a thread if any areas are really tricky.
Cossix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN use grenades, but why bother? Use the Combine's grenades instead!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode One was cool! Gonna play some team fortress then off to Ep 2.

EDIT: Team Fotress is hilarious and cool. SNIPERS DON'T SEEM OVERPOWERED!!!

Also the deus ex machina at the start of episode one is lame.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Also, I wish Alyx wasn't all like OH YOU ARE SO SMART, DR FREEMAN all the damn time. It was better in half-life 2 when she only talked when she really wanted to, made her a stronger character. Also, why did she go all shy after she hugged us, WHAT IS SHE, A HIGH SCOOL GIRL? Also, FUCK Freeman, he didn't even try to comfort her after her little episode, GOD I'm getting tired of this jerk!!

Right on, I kept wanting Gordon to find a cork so I could use the gravity gun to fire it into that bitch's mouth
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 2 has been pretty meh so far. Also, since when does glasdos work for the combine?

That part with the turrets in the cave system was pretty neat!

edit: ok fuck episode 2, i'm not bothering with this bullshit.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh. i found two far superior to one.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found it rather tedious. I'm up to the strider invasion part and it's just not any fun and I'm not interested in finishing the rest of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, the strider invasion part is the last part of it. So you're actually right at the end...? And have in fact, nearly finished it.

Why do you hate Episode 2 so much! It's way better than 1 was, and improved all the annoying niggles about the original HL2, in my opinion.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well gosh, I guess I might as well try to finish it then.

I don't hate it! I liked what they did with the flashlight, and driving isn't quite as bad mainly because the car doesn't flip over anymore, but man, FUCK hunters and those... vomit bug things. They aren't fun to fight! And really, I just think the core gameplay of Half-Life 2 is dead boring, and episode 2 didn't do much to change that. Things are a little more open I guess, which is nice, but ithe original mechanics aren't really built around open areas so it doesn't feel right. This bit with the striders has just been frustrating, too. Argh. Man. Screw those hunters. Also I like how you can't seem to be able to take striders down with rockets anymore even though I could do it fine previously! This is one thing I really hate about these games. Absolutely no room for creative thinking, even when there is no reason your idea shouldn't work. It's their way or the highway. I think I'd rather take the highway!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No room for creative thinking? Think with physics*!

How to destroy a hunter? Hold a barrel in front of you, let them fill it with flechettes, then launch it into their face for megasplosionlulztimebonus.

I agree with you pretty much though, but I find the core gameplay a lot of fun, and I enjoy dicking around with the physics to see the results. So it's horses for courses, I guess? But you really should finish it! The ending is... well, spoilers aside, it's awesome.

*Or portals.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I should probably use the grabity gun more often... I pretty much forgot about it after Ravenholm, aside from a few places where it was obvious it would be handy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dude, the gravity gun is the single winning button in HL2. Seriously, that shit should be your primary weapon. Hurling buzzsaws and desks and explosive barrels around instead of wasting time looking for ammunition for your puny gun is the way HL2 rolls. Combine throws a grenade at you? Grenade back in his face! Fighting an Antlion Guard? Explosive barrels in their face! Zombies coming at you down a corridor? Crush them with a chair!

To the face!

Gravity Gun: It's Awesome (TM)
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, whenever I see something explosive I always pick it up, same with buzzsaws and all that stuff. I just mean, it was pretty much the only weapon you used at all in Ravenholm, so it felt like it was used much less afterwards.

Oh, another thing I hate about this strider bit, the pods keep dropping off them for no reason at all before I can pull a gun out and shoot it.

Alright, finally finished it. Eh. Really didn't feel enough for the characters to care about this SHOCKING turn of events.

Really, if anything, Half-Life 2 makes me realise just how far the medium needs to keep going. NOT THAT IT'S A BAD GAME, just yeah.

I think I'm dissapointed it's nowhere as cool as those beta videos made me think it would be. USE OBJECTS TO BLOCK DOORS AND WINDOWS, yeah right, and get in the way of the scripting? I don't think so!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may give Half-Life 2 another playthrough some time. It sure did some great things, but other things just bothered the heck out of me. So I don't know.

Anyway, what are the mods I must play! This is one of the main reasons I got this game. TAKING SUGGESTIONS.

Also, where is a good place to start ni regards to getting into modding myself? I've wanted to get back into that for a long time, and I like the Source engine (apart from the load times everywhere which could be a problem).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minerva: Metastasis and its companion Someplace Else.

Intriguing map design, partially inspired from Halo's The Silent Cartographer, and a premise reminiscent of the Marathon series.

Also Valve has since accepted it as canon, as far as I know.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko that second map is for Half-Life 1! I don't have that!

Minerva is pretty fantastic though! I just finished it and it's extremely well made. The dialouge occasionally feels forced, and a couple parts could have been reworked a little towards the end, but for the most part this was pretty fantastic! Great level design and atmosphere! Love the whole vertical nature of the whole thing. I hope this guy got a job out of this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Ep. 1 after a considerable amount of time off from it. Eh.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I should probably use the grabity gun more often...

Best spelling mistake ever. Request word filter for 'gravity gun' to become 'grabbity gun'.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was on purpose.

Feeding from Cycle's unrelenting energy, I started Ep. 2 shortly after finishing Ep. 1 today. I'm in the mines right now, and they're a mite boring, but the journeys through the ant lion nests were stellar. I will squish every goddamn pupa.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article sums up one of the bigger problems I have with Half-Life 2:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/03/shut_up_and_save_the_world_the.php#comments

It's eeriely similar to an article once printed in my magazine.

I didn't like the Antlion nests! That part with the turrets and traffic lights was pretty great, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, that was my least favorite part of the ant lion nests. Cycle, sometimes I have the sneaking suspicion that you and i are not, in fact, the same person.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i view the whole silence thing and the irony of his last name and all that as being both intentional and incidental. i like the blankness of it all, really, but such is the nature of taste.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 2 is just darling. I agree with dessgeega that it's fan-service, but it's very well designed fanservice. I think it's better than the original game, and way better than episode one.

Hunters are a blast to fight.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten to the (first?) Strider battle in the Citadel, which has been pretty fun so far.

HL2 is pretty much a perfect example in motion of how difficult it is to handle exposition in games. I mean, it does it relatively well and it still feels like a carnival ride when you start prodding at it.

ETA: Mr. Freeman's Wild Ride!
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done with Ep. 2. Really, it's the best game of the three. It all starts with the levels and environments. Look, I know there wasn't as much overt mise-en-scene as with Half-Life 2 to help with the narrative, but the atmosphere was much more eerie. All the sci-fi mayhem and dilapidation of Half-Life 2 seemed a natural consequence of the society. As gruesome as it all was, you couldn't quite say it was inappropriate. Somehow the cottages, lush greens, and timber-industrial facilities of episode 2 render the hunters and striders more terrifying. It's the sparse electric reds and blues of their systems that blend too uncomfortably well that produces the unease. The neon, fluid-slick ant-lion lairs brought on an oppressive claustrophobia unmatched by all the corridors, mines, air ducts, and elevator shafts of City 17.

Hey, should I know what the hell everyone is talking about when they say "our mutual friend"?

Edit: I realize I meant to write "unease" or "dis-ease" and instead wrote "disease," which didn't read quite right.

Last edited by helicopterp on Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE G-MAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he the Rod Serling dude?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who? He's the guy who's all like MR. FREEEEMMAAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hosts The Twilight Zone.

anyhow, I'm pretty sure we mean the same person
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, my best friend is a film studies guy (marring a film studies gal no less) and i've been seeing people use "mise-en-scene" to describe games for years now, and i still have no idea what it means.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is because it has a really wide range of usage. I'm guessing that Mr. Helicopter P means that the blocking and staging (level design, character placement, user "herding") in Episode 2 is less overt than it is in Half-Life 2.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i meant the parts of a set that are used for storytelling via setting

and it's helicopterp. all one word.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can still call me mister.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
you know, my best friend is a film studies guy (marring a film studies gal no less) and i've been seeing people use "mise-en-scene" to describe games for years now, and i still have no idea what it means.

Sort of just means 'HOW IT LOOKS'
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll chalk this up to me just being dense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: