The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final Fantasy VII's translation is humorous (image thread)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Final Fantasy VII's translation is humorous (image thread) Reply with quote

Not in the usual "this has been translated too literally and it doesn't make any sense" way. There's a little bit of that, but for the most part the meaning of the dialogue is decipherable. No, FF7 is funny in a "whoever was responsible for sitting down and typing the script into the game's program is very, very confused about the English language" way.

So enjoy with me a bit of the game's better dialogue.

Oh, are he?

(Also, Aeris is supposed to be Alice, I think, so let's get that out of the way now. Not a big deal since you can rename your characters. The Wikipedia entry insists on calling her "Aerith.")

I wonder how they set up the building so having a creek in the middle of it wouldn't screw up the establishment?

They've been teaching Barret English for years and he still don't do it right, do he?

This is one of my favorites. I'm not sure if it's a typo or if this is supposed to be the only Italian character in the game.

Main Entry:
2cape
Function:
noun
Etymology:
probably from Spanish capa cloak, from Late Latin cappa head covering, cloak
Date:

1 : a sleeveless outer garment or part of a garment that fits closely at the neck and hangs loosely over the shoulders

Another classic. This is just after Aeris' death. Sephiroth says, "Because.... You are..." Then he flies off and you fight a battle with Jenova. I don't know why Jenova is finishing Sephiroth's line, especially after you kill her (temporarily), but she apparently has a funny way of speaking. This is in the middle of the most dramatic moment in the game.

The Weapon, weapon thing makes sense, I just like how awkward it is. If I were to catalogue the misplaced apostrophes, this post would never end.

This one's actually clever--there are two characters with a distinct laugh, and Cait Sith is making fun of them. But it's funnier that he can't capitalize or place a comma properly.

Maybe I'm stretching here, but is "subconsciousness" even a word?

Tifa's a dirty girl.

I'm guessing Zack's name was two syllables in Japanese. I don't know how Zac......k would be pronounced any differently from Zack.

I don't, know what, but it should be, pretty cool.

Barret gets a lot of shit for being a semi-racist stereotype. I don't think he's so bad. His dialogue has two tendencies. One, he cusses a lot (but not quite as much as Cid). Two, he shortens words. "Just" becomes "jes'," "off of" becomes "offa," etc.

But this line, Jesus Christ.

Not an error in this case, just a programming note. If you name Aeris anything else, it doesn't fix the posessive. For instance, this would say "Aerith' voice. . ."

Cloud is thinking deep thoughts.

That first-place there is supposed to be "Joe."

I SAID I COULDN'T HIT IT SIDEWAYS

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must have taken you forever!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I've just been playing through it to make this week go by faster, and the occasional screenshot struck me as a good idea right at "this guy are sick."

-seryogin
Max Cola

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aeris/Alice thing reminds me (ugh, Aerith)... wasn't "Cloud" originally intended to be "Claude"? But they changed it to sound COOLER and more MYSTICAL.
The only girl I've ever loved was born with roses in her eyes. But then they buried her alive, one evening 1945, with just her sister at her side, and only weeks before the guns all came and rained on everyone...
wourme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite one is "Off course!" in that arena part.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I'll have to grab a picture of that when I go for Omnislash.

Max Cola wrote:
The Aeris/Alice thing reminds me (ugh, Aerith)... wasn't "Cloud" originally intended to be "Claude"? But they changed it to sound COOLER and more MYSTICAL.

I've never heard that but it doesn't surprise me. In fact, I was thinking this playthrough, "Hey, all these characters have normal names. Aeris should be Alice, but then you have Barret, Tifa, and Cid. Cait Sith and Red XII don't count because they're not human, and Yuffie is supposed to be AZN or whatever. So wtf is up with Cloud?"

That would explain it!

There are a lot of mistakes that I didn't feel like recording because it would take too long and wouldn't have any cool impact in screenshots. A lot of the items you pick up are misnamed or are different in the menu. Offhand, I can remember "Lucky Plus" (Luck Plus), "Pile Bunker" (Pile Banger), "Last Elixir" (there's only one in the game, it's a Megalixir), and "Mythril" (Mystile Armlet). I know there are more.

Oh yeah, there's also "Touph Ring," which doesn't get renamed in the inventory but is obviously supposed to be Tough Ring.

-seryogin
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Cola wrote:
(ugh, Aerith)

this reaction honestly baffles me more than anything else involved with FFVII
Max Cola

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-A-I-S wrote:
this reaction honestly baffles me more than anything else involved with FFVII

What? I just don't think "Aerith" rolls off the tongue very well. Not that "Aeris" is much better. "Ugh" is pretty much what I say immediately after I say "Aerith". Because it feels really awkward to say. Thounds like I have a lithp!
The only girl I've ever loved was born with roses in her eyes. But then they buried her alive, one evening 1945, with just her sister at her side, and only weeks before the guns all came and rained on everyone...
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess one of the few upsides of being an unchangeable antisocial recluse is that I stopped talking about video games with my voice after the fifth grade.

(Has TGQ ever had a topic about playground school ideas? I'm trying to remember one, but I think it might actually be two, because I'm not sure why dinosaurs would be scuba-diving secret agents)
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to really like "Aerith" and went out of my way to change it. Now I'm indifferent. The Claude/Cloud thing is way more interesting. Wikipedia romanizes the Japanese as Kuraudo Sutoraifu. Oh yeah! HIS LAST NAME IS "STRIFE," what is this, Pilgrim's Progress?

More fun: "Cait Sith" is pronounced Ket Shee (or Cat Shee (or Caught Shee, depending on just how Irish you want to get)). See here, Wikipedia romanizes the Japanese as Ketto Shī. Also, I always pronounced Yuffie with a short U, but Wikipedia romanizes as "Yufi." Man, they really could have just called her Yufi.

Anywayyyyyyy, back to the translation. I've always been really baffled by the Honeybee Inn segment. Does anyone know if the dialogue is as vague in the original? Because in English it's totally baffling, and I wonder if they skirt around what's up because of the blatant homosexuality stuff going on.

-seryogin
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "aerith" thing just always annoyed me because it came up in various ff7 fanboy lovefests and I wanted to vomit.

Good stuff here, though, swimmy. Sister Ray is fucking great. Should have made it a joke about suckin' on a ding dong, haha.
bleak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never appreciated FF7 enough to play it more than one time. The three before it were just so much better Sad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-A-I-S wrote:
I guess one of the few upsides of being an unchangeable antisocial recluse is that I stopped talking about video games with my voice after the fifth grade.

I... really can't tell if you're trying to insult me here or not!

When I first played FF7 I had no idea what was going on at Honeybee Inn. Like, I vaguely understood the premise of the situation but the game is really, really unclear about it.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloud is hella getting anally raped, is what's going on.

ALSO THIS IS COSSIX NOT DAPHNY GODDAMMIT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, Swimmy. What version of the game is this? PC or nicely-smoothed PS1?
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude i always took a Polaroid when i got to the threesome part
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Good post, Swimmy. What version of the game is this? PC or nicely-smoothed PS1?

PS1, emulated. I'm not sure if the translation is changed at all for the PC. I had the PC version ages ago, but it gave all the character models awkward little Surprised mouths. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be like that or if something was wrong with my computer.

Edit: Wait, I remember one specific translation change. PSX version the word "shit" is not censored, but on the PC it is.

-seryogin
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better that "no way" is wrong too, at least according to common usage.

JAMES HARVEY IN LAST PLACE!

-seryogin
Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Aerith was supposed to be a pun off of Earth or something like that? I don't know about Cloud, but I remember talk that Barret was supposed to be Bullet and all sorts of other fanwankery? And I've seen Reno translated on official art as Leno.

Fun thread, though. I think it's even funnier that this is top notch localization compared to what was around at the time, too.

I believe the whole Aeris/Aerith debacle started because the first English demo of the game had Aerith as her name and then, oh no, Square changed something!

I'm surprised no one's done a hack to 'clean up FFVII' like all of the undub stuff going around.
Isfet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think mistranslating Cloud as Claude came either from Gamepro or EGM...some game magazine from around the time the game was being developed.

i haven't played this game since it first came out and...wow, i knew there were some mistakes ("off course!") but i don't remember all these errors. perhaps i didn't notice them because i was 12 years old at the time but...those are almost as bad as Final Fantasy Tactics.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:

JAMES HARVEY IN LAST PLACE!

That reminds me of

Man that would be an easy photoshop job! It's so close to saying my name.
bleak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I think the best localization of a game has to be Xenogears. "My father? You mean my dad?"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenogears had some fun localization stuff. The random voice samples that play out of nowhere are great, specifically Bart yelling "JERK!" in a very low quality sound file that the first time I heard I swore he yelled "BIIAAATCH!". My favorite moment comes in one of the fully animated cutscenes (of which there are like 2 on the first disc) where from lip movements and such it is really obvious that Fei says like a god-damned paragraph but his voice actor just yells "ELLY!!!". I always laugh at this part.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashura wrote:
And I've seen Reno translated on official art as Leno.

That's really funny that we think they gave him this rugged french name with a hint of romanticism and really they just named him after a large-chinned chat show host.
wourme

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
The random voice samples that play out of nowhere are great . . .

This reminds me of the way each character in Skies of Arcadia has a sound that plays during speaking parts. For one of the female characters, the sound is "yes." At one point, her line is an emotional "No!" accompanied by the usual happy "yes."
bleak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
Xenogears had some fun localization stuff. The random voice samples that play out of nowhere are great, specifically Bart yelling "JERK!" in a very low quality sound file that the first time I heard I swore he yelled "BIIAAATCH!". My favorite moment comes in one of the fully animated cutscenes (of which there are like 2 on the first disc) where from lip movements and such it is really obvious that Fei says like a god-damned paragraph but his voice actor just yells "ELLY!!!". I always laugh at this part.
Yeah, it's a shame that like most square games of this generation, it tries to do so much but due to poor staffing, limited QA, or whatever I don't know it ends up not being really that enjoyable at all. But hey, I at least managed to finish Xenogears completely.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subconsciousness is a word. Though it's pretty hard to mess up in English when you take a word and add a prefix/suffix. ex. prejoratively

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Aeris was just a mixed up spelling of Aesir, what with the whole Midgar[+d?] thing and Square loving their pan-mythological name dropping.
parkbench

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I never realised how ingrained in my mind the whole mythology of Aerith/Aeris was. Very interesting. Though I should say the most interesting thing about this thread is the Claude/Cloud translation. Claude! How fascinating. A 17th century RPG starring musketeers and troubadours comes to mind. Too bad we got shitty JRPG slop.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench wrote:
Wow, I never realised how ingrained in my mind the whole mythology of Aerith/Aeris was. Very interesting. Though I should say the most interesting thing about this thread is the Claude/Cloud translation. Claude! How fascinating. A 17th century RPG starring musketeers and troubadours comes to mind. Too bad we got shitty JRPG slop.

People didn't know what shitty JRPG slop was when that game came out! It was the first of its kind!
parkbench

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, I meant jpop, but JRPG works too.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a friend was telling me about the Drakengard games and they sound pretty amazing.

You've got a crew consisting of an incestuous, sociopathic dragon-rider (who hates dragons), a blind paedophile whose fairy familiar keeps calling him an impotent weakling, a barren cannibal, and a small child completely oblivious to just how fucked up his team is.

One mission has you slaughtering child soldiers while the paedophile weeps and begs you to think of their innocence.

So, as anyone played this game or what? How cutscene heavy is it?
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played Drakengard 2. It's not terribly cutscene heavy I don't recall, but it's been a while since I played it.

Whoops, this is Cossix.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in the endgame sidequests, it keeps delivering. We are the dollars and sence!

-seryogin
the drunken samurai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Aeris should be Alice, but then you have Barret, Tifa, and Cid

ive always had the theory that Tifa was supposed to be short for Tiffany.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: