The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harveyjames, when will you realize that nothing has subtext, no matter how deliberate it is
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blowjobs? rape?

you people are fucking nuts.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the homosexual rape theme was brought back heavily in Alien 3. I mean, it was set in an all-male prison! Come on!

The design Giger did for Alien 3 was.... kinda a little too weird. I'm glad they didn't use it.

THE ALIEN HAD POUTY LIPS
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't they all have pouty lips? in order to like, fit the other more evil lips in there?

hmmm...

if i were the uk's most prominent film critic i could refer to this as an update of the vagina dentata motif and have people give me checks rather than settle for change on a street corner, but god is cruel and his wrath is terrible.

or better yet, the cannibal clitoris... all the men are destroyed by their inability to deal with the wrath of female sexual agency and a reversal of the breeding pattern; the manifestation can only be combated by a whole woman, able to reconcile both creation and destruction. ripley destroys both the corporate facimile of life (the android) and literally ejaculates the monstrous manifestation of the female urge gone mad back into the void (nuit confronts isis aka the widow spider, and de-evolves her back into the original form of hathor) to prevent an even greater predation at the hands of late-late-late stage capitalism.

and then she falls back into dreamspace.

sometimes i wish i had more huckster in my blood.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Oh, I thought he was talking about Killing Time.

I assume he's talking about the 3DO port of DooM, dessycakes

I was talking about Killing Time at first, but when I had first played it I thought there was something wrong with my controller. I think RedEye initially responded, saying that all the games feel that way. I intend on going back and trying Killing Time again because I had always wanted to play it, but before going back to it I tried Doom to see how it was handled - if it had the same control issues (first-person shooters around the same time and all) and just how good it is in general.

It is, by far, the worst port of Doom that I have ever played. The framerate is so bad and the controls so screwed up that it took me forever just to get up the first staircase in the beginning area. However slow I thought Killing Time was, Doom is twenty times that.

--

Playing The Club right now. I like the combination of Loaded's approach to characters, Outtrigger's presentation, and Virtua Cop's combo system, but it's not quite clicking with me. Right when I get into the zone and think I finally have an acceptable rhythm, I end up getting creamed score-wise. I like it well enough, but it needs levels that lend themselves to tactics more than just places to run through, among other things.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing Time was arse, play Realms Of the Haunting instead as it's a much better first person horror shooter.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realms of the Haunting was rad until I used an item in some puzzle, played half-way through the game, and realised I needed that same item for another puzzle. I thought FUDGE THAT I ain't going all the way back there and never bothered finishing it.

It was awesome up to that point though!

And I had a good time with the Killing Time demo, damnit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

Here is the thing: He was responsible for pretty much all the cool, amusing and fun design decisions in the first game! Not least the hornet gun, the snarks, and the alien soldier with the chompy mouth for a hand. Man, they made the wrong move there!.

Yeah, I miss all that stuff. And still can't understand why it is all just "boring" modern weaponry + the grav gun, unless it is a statement about totalitarianism.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo justice is a game about chasing a fifteen-year-old's panties.

did maya get too old for the moe set? was that was this series had to be rebooted?

the stench of double-entendre permeates everything in this game. and while an adult sensibility is fine, even preferable to the goody-two-shoes-ness of the series in the past, there's nothing of sincerity here to grab on to. everything is a caricature of something more likable from the phoenix wright trilogy.

i think i'm done with this game.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Pheonix Wright is a game where character is very important? I've never played it.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
don't they all have pouty lips? in order to like, fit the other more evil lips in there?

No, like, cocksucking lips.

I like your cannibal clitoris reading, but how does that fit in with...

Look at that thing coming out of his mouth, man! Also, check this: http://gallery.dereck.hu/H.R.Giger/hr_giger_facehugger_I.jpg

What is that if not a blowjob?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gamersquarter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66937

bumping this over to general to avoid shitting this one up further.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
There's a flash game called 'look out behind you hunter' where you're a shotgun-toting woodsman who has to shoot naked men who run at him. It controls sort of like resident evil, except obviously it's a lot scarier because the penalty for getting caught is a bumming. I think more media should completely ecshew metaphor and subtext and just explore primal human fears in a blunt, direct manner!

Clearly you need to play Dangerous Vaults.

(Warning: Do not actually play Dangerous Vaults. Ever.)

(Also link probably NSFW.)

(Link to the actual game, also NSFW.)

(Don't play this, it is the worst game ever made, I mean that.)

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
sediment

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much like James Harvey, I've been playing through HL2 for the first time.

My fiancee got me an XBox 360 Elite for my birthday/president's day/belated christmas, so naturally the first thing I did was pick up the Orange Box for it since my computer is presently a sad old man wetting himself, except made of plastic and sensitive conducting materials and capacitors.

I already played through and beat Portal very thoroughly. Very fun little game, and I really hope placeable portals make it into way more games.

Anyway. I'm in Ravenholm, thoroughly enjoying richocheting sawblades down tightly-packed corridors of zombies. The ones that throw the darker, larger headcrabs at you are really quite bothersome.
The entire Water Hazard level was really, really bothersome - until I got the chopper gun installed on my boat, in which case it became a beautiful story of love and peace and by "love and peace" I really mean REVENGE.
I'll probably play through Episodes 1 & 2 once I'm done with HL2, but I've got Bioshock and Mass Effect scheduled to arrive from Gamefly today or tomorrow so obviously rental time trumps "games I own" time.

All I need to do now is get a long enough ethernet cable to where I can get my box networked, so I can actually play TF2 without being sad and alone in my own instance of 2fort.

helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
What is that if not a blowjob?

Vagina Dentata. I think it's all over Alien criticism.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can read Vagina Dentata into that picture then you can read it into White Meat on Black Street and any video starring Max Hardcore.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not shooting a cock out of its mouth, man. It's erecting a phallic organ of head shot gib splooge!

I love those movies.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i wasn't really looking at the picture, just thinking back to the film. Your picture is totally penis-in-mouth.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man

but what did you think of the alien pic??? OH!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between bouts of Audiosurf I've been playing Metroid Prime 3, which isn't too bad I guess. The first part is a little too Halo-ish. The second part was better bit still not all that great. The third area was great at first... the sky city. It looks beautiful and I love the harmless machines all over the place and alien techology, plus the transporation systems are lots of fun. It really reminded me of Riven... very similar vibe. Now enemies are all over the place though, and it's a bit boring again. I've also visited some kind of haunted spaceship was also pretty cool, but the design of this game just feels so lazy and unimaginative that I don't think I'll play it much further, even though I'm interested in what comes next.

The plot and characters are also pretty dumb.

So I'll probably not finish it and sell it to buy some other Wii game. Recommendations?

I was listening to some Thief 3 music, and decided to start playing the first game again since it's the only one I never finished. I played this first mission so many times in the demo... and it's still awesome.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elebits always looked kind of neat!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost squad.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycle: which thief games should i play? i have played none of them, which seems like an oversight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ideal situation is "all of them".

Thief and Thief 2 are pretty good. I have, but have not yet finished, Thief 3 as I currently have other priorities (RAVENHOLM FUCK YEAH). I will say the first two missions are really cool, though!

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
cycle: which thief games should i play? i have played none of them, which seems like an oversight.

Considering it's one of the best series ever made RIGHT UP THERE MARATHON (in my opinion), yes it's quite an oversight!

They're all good but do different things. The first one features a strong story and varied missions and the most imaginative level design, but there are those zombie levels some people hate (though they are geniunely scary) and it's not quite as tightly designed as the later games.

Thief 2 features the best levels for straight thiefery. In fact, the levels are pretty brilliant for straight thiefery. There are a few levels that aren't just about raiding different locations (one is really awesome and has a terrifying moment near the end), but it's really mostly about, you know, stealing stuff and zombies are much more rare and keep to their corners of the map which you can skip if you don't think it's worth the extra loot. The plot is also the weakest of the three.

The third one has a nice mix of straight thieving levels and some more zanier ones, has a strong plot and features a city you can walk around in between missions (though it wasn't as good as the previews said it would be) is much prettier thanks to the different engine and is also less sloppy with the controls thanks to the new engine. The levels do feel a little limited by the engine (it uses the one Deus Ex 2 used) but I think they really pushed it to its limits.

So uh, they're all good. Ideally you should play all three since all the games are linked together (though can also stand on their own, too) and the story is pretty great. RIGHT UP THERE WITH MARATHON. Almost.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Mass Effect and Bioshock in the mail from Gamefly today.

Mass Effect is currently recieving priority. I started an Infiltrator but am thinking I should maybe go with that other class, the biotic/tech one. I'll probably stick with my infiltrator and keep my biotic super-friends with me at all times.

Is it just me or female protagonists' asses jiggle when running? It's kind of mesmerising. If I make a male character and his ass doesn't jiggle, I'm going to be upset.

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
ghost squad.

bring a saved game!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so i finished professor layton and the curious village last night, after three days of being stuck on what is essentially the final "boss" puzzle. i finally spent three of my coins unlocking the hints i needed to pass it.

i started playing the game because slut was so excited about it. and though it took me a while, i grew to like it a lot. it's essentially a giant puzzle box. the puzzles frequently pull the trick of appearing straightforward, but having a hidden logical twist that the player must discover to get through. many others seem at first glance like they're straight from the canon, but have an interesting spin that makes them fresh.

i loved the puzzles. i was less enamored with the point-and-click game world, which, although beautiful and with a great sense of character design, always feels like the shallowest puzzle box. characters come up to you on the street and say "HEY DOC, HOW'S ABOUT TRYING YOUR HAND AT THIS PUZZLE I JUST CAME UP WITH". it's so shamelessly artificial that i think i'd prefer an unadorned collection of puzzles.

speaking of being stuck, i've been stuck on perhaps the last puzzle i need to solve in the new sam & max episode. well, the last puzzle before the obligatory confrontation scene. the new sam & max games always adhere to the same structure of "find three quest objects to gain admittance to the final puzzle". this episode even more brazenly asks you to find three quest objects before being allowed to find three more quest objects before gaining admittance to the final puzzle.

this game i swonderful, the end jumps the shark, how nmany puzzles have you solved
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
internisus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
apollo justice is a game about chasing a fifteen-year-old's panties.

did maya get too old for the moe set? was that was this series had to be rebooted?

the stench of double-entendre permeates everything in this game. and while an adult sensibility is fine, even preferable to the goody-two-shoes-ness of the series in the past, there's nothing of sincerity here to grab on to. everything is a caricature of something more likable from the phoenix wright trilogy.

i think i'm done with this game.

I disagree about the panties thing; I think it's just a fun joke that you're reading too much into. Yes, the game has lots of double entendre, but it's all tongue-in-cheek and in good fun. To be honest, I found nearly every panty line to be funny. At first, I mean at the very beginning, when panties first came up, yes, I was kind of OMG are they actually talking about this girl's panties like this? But they turn out to be like this big pair of bloomers, and it's all a good joke that had fun at your expense in the beginning and pans out well.

I absolutely do not think Trucy is being sexualized or anything like that (I can't talk in moe terms because I don't understand it well). She's a fine replacement for Maya, and I actually like her better in some respects. Maya was great, but her way over-the-top enthusiasm was always a bit irritating to me as well as endearing; Trucy is more balanced but with a kind of naivety that's executed well, I think. She also strikes me as steadfast and strong in ways that will probably develop in the next two games. Note also how true the game remains to the Phoenix-Maya relationship with Apollo and Trucy. You can see this in little things as well as their overall relationship: make sure you examine stepladders.

Why did the series have to be "rebooted"? Well, first of all, it wasn't. This game is VERY much a Phoenix Wright game--not just in form and style, that is, but I mean to say that it is very much a Phoenix Wright story. But yes, this is a hand-off from one cast of characters to another, largely, and that had to happen because the PW cast was getting older (though if you ask me that's a good thing. I'm tired of all the damned little kids everywhere. I really hope Apollo looks less like he's Trucy's age in the next game, though i doubt it). The writers probably decided that there weren't many stories left to tell with them. I mean, the Fey family story was resolved, all of the prosecutors' conflicts were done, etc. And that happened because they decided to close with the third game. I'm glad for it; they could have dragged things on forever like a bad manga series.

But Apollo Justice is NOT a rehash or a copycat or a simple Phoenix-alike designed to bring in our money. From one perspective it's simply more, sure, but the quality of that more is up there. I've laughed a lot at this game--more, perhaps, than at any Ace Attorney before it. The characters are constructed along the same principles that guided PW, and there are some good ones. I like the grown-up Ema a lot, although it's rough to have her be detached now in the way that Gumshoe always ways. Things aren't perfect; many characters are too focused on their gimmick. Klavier Gavin is not the kind of character whom I want to take on a series partner role in the way that Edgeworth did because he's so focused on the rock thing. I don't think that's likely, though. The writers are mirroring some things here but not others. Klavier's role in this game has absolutely no resemblance to Edgeworth's in the first PW.

On the other hand, Klavier has a decent story and is basically a good guy who wants the truth rather than to win from the very start; his conflict emerges in the game's final act and is a personal rather than ideological one or a matter of attitude or self-growth. It's absolutely not the center of the game's story. That's new and refreshing.

And what is that central story? Well, if you at least played the first case, you can probably guess. As usual, cases 2 and 3 are mostly unrelated to the real story. They're not bad really, but they're not terribly memorable either. As usual. But if you felt any sense of promise at all in the first trial, you absolutely need to play through the whole game. The fourth case is bigger and more epic than anything we've seen yet from this series. It can be a little melodramatic and over-reaches at times, but overall it's incredible and well worth it. The fourth case takes the storytelling structure that Trials and Tribulations so successfully experimented with and really runs with it in a bizarre, unexpected, and very exciting way. Separately, it also does things with form that are everything you hope they might be--I'm trying not to spoil, but I have to at least say that the game uses old graphics and music to excellent effect.

Basically, the first trial excited me. I felt that it laid out a promise not just in terms of story but--keeping in mind what the last game let us do--also in terms of the game itself. Over the course of trials 2 and 3, I scaled back my expectations for two reasons: The big story was left to simmer in the background as a couple of its key characters flitted across the screen from time to time, and the game itself disappointed me by featuring fewer opportunities to discover things in the 3D object viewer and by allowing me so little freedom and opportunity to investigate blood stains, footprints, fingerprints, etc. without set pieces and a babysitter. I wanted the game to be both more focused and more complex, and it was letting me down. Honestly, it never came around, but the execution of the story in the fourth trial makes the game very worthwhile. It fulfilled the greatest expression of the promise represented by the first trial. I'm just thrilled with it.

Also, the Perception thing is great--although, again, they control when using it is even an option, so you know you need to do that instead of press or present evidence. That's lame as hell. But the Perception itself is really cool, and the actual ticks and habits of each witness are nicely appropriate to their character design. Especially the last one. I'm glad to be done with psyche-locks. Again, I just want to see them loosen up and let me decide when I'm in a situation that calls for the use of this technique, just as I want to notice places where I should dust for fingerprints on my own.

So I only worry that, after this game, it really will be Apollo's show, and he doesn't yet have the character or gameplay I expect from him. So the next game is the one you should doubt. But this is Phoenix Wright 4, and you don't want to miss it.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
ghost squad.

bring a saved game!

I don't think the game lets you, unfortunately, or it seemed like that in KY. But it is such a fucking awesome game.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trucy annoys me for the same reasons maya does: she's an overenthusiastic, incredibly naive cartoon character, and she's a fifteen-year-old who follows the player around while talking about her panties.

i agree that the writers realized they'd done as much as they realistically could with phoenix wright and his circle of friends. instead of stopping, they dressed the game up with a bunch of new, forgettable characters and some unnecessary variations to the basic gameplay. (use your magic bracelet to find liars! the psyche-lock at least made investigations more focused and less tiring, even if it was unfortunately tied to the health system.)

apollo justice just feels unnecessary in every way.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Moe the word Lolicon ethusiasts use now we've got wise to the fact that lolicon is just a veiled term for paedophilia? Will they jump ship onto a new word with an even vaguer definition soon?

It's a bit like how furries are mostly just gay men who don't want to say they're gay men. It's furrydom for paedos.
sediment

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically yeah

btw there are some straight furries out there, they're rare but they do exist

simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a really big TV! Then I felt like I needed True Next Generation Power, so I bought Uncharted, which was a fun videogame. Though I would like a fun videogame that doesn't devolve from killing mercenaries to killing evil beasties sometime? Still, this game has an achievement thingy for hanging off a cliff while killing people on the other side with grenades. That's hard to argue with. Also, I really suck at aiming. Both those actionbutton.net reviews are truthful, really.

Also, I bought Virtua Fighter 5, before realizing this was a mistake. I don't like fighters, except possibly goofy ones like Soul Calibur (with 6 foot swords) and Tekken (with pandas). I don't have an arcade stick. I don't have anyone to play against. I don't care to play online. I think it was that damn old drunken guy with the mustache. Who can say no to him?

I downloaded a bunch of demos. The PS3 MLB (is it The Bigs? something else? I've forgotten already) demo, purporting to be the most realistic videogame baseball ever, is in fact terrible and entirely alienating. Everyone looks like Command & Conquer motion capture people on placed on a 2d baseball field backdrop. Dhex, there's actually a problematic anomaly for you here, because as compared to the heavily "J"ed MLB Power Pros (complete with college/dating/baseball training sim), this is the clear candidate for chemo of the soul.

Patapon, the PSP demo and forthcoming retail product, is everything right about rhythm games (in my world where Guitar Hero, Beatmania, DDR etc. is everything wrong about rhythm games, leaving a pretty slim selection of titles viable for such a title, but still).
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
there are some straight furries out there, they're rare but they do exist

Like women on the internet, huh?
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Separate Ways in RE4 for the Wii. Question! Every preview and review of this game claimed that it was a port of the GameCube version, not the slightly-less-pretty PS2 version.

I think this is bullshit, because on my HDTV, it's obvious that the cutscenes are pre-rendered (which was the case on PS2, NOT GameCube). They look low-res, blurry, and genuinely crappy. There's an obvious discrepancy between the realtime game visuals and the cutscenes.

Could someone out there please, please prove me right on this? I don't know why, but it's driving me nuts. I guess the easiest way to tell is to unlock a bonus costume and see if it shows up in a cutscene. Maybe I'll try to do this tomorrow.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main game features in-game cutscenes, like the GC version, but the extra chapers feature pre-rendered versions. I think it's because one of the extra chapters was PS2 only? And they got lazy? I don't know!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet Channel on Wii + MST3K on Google Video = Good Times on the Couch.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
The main game features in-game cutscenes, like the GC version, but the extra chapers feature pre-rendered versions. I think it's because one of the extra chapters was PS2 only? And they got lazy? I don't know!

Yes! You're exactly right, Cycle. I just triple-checked and this is in fact the case. I found these telling PS2 vs. GameCube videos and screenshots. Mother of God, the GameCube (and, yes, Wii) version of the game looks so much better. I didn't realize what I was missing when I first played it on PS2. Now I want to play it all over again just to appreciate these subtleties (like the lightning) that I somehow didn't notice while playing the Wii game the first time around.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dhex, there's actually a problematic anomaly for you here, because as compared to the heavily "J"ed MLB Power Pros (complete with college/dating/baseball training sim), this is the clear candidate for chemo of the soul.

outside of being shitty i presume?

total weird question: how long does it take to download stuff to consoles? do they have a normal 10/100 connection or what?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Club continues to be almost completely awesome. The characters need to be more diverse, aside from their wacky style and predictable attitude. Now stop your bleeding, combos! Damn you!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finished Thief and it's pretty much one of the greatest games I've ever played! It has its flaws, but it's still great.

So Thief 1 has the best narrative, Thief 2 has the best level design from a mechanical standpoint, and Thief 3 has the best plot and the most technically sound.

It's interesting to note that the story was written for Thief 1 first and then the levels were designed around it, whereas the levels were designed first in Thief 2 and then the story was worked into them. It's very easy to see this, and it's very interesting playing both of the games and seeing where each method hits and misses.

I should not that I played Thief Gold, which features alterations to the original levels and bug fixes. I encountered only a small number of bugs, and they must have edited the zombie levels quite a bit because I found them to be (mostly) well designed, with the zombies well spread out and easy to dispose of or avoid if you have your wits about you, though they did get frustrating every now and then.

Oh, and it's important to have your wits about you. This is a pretty smart game and I really appreciated it not treating me like an idiot, like so many other games. Or at least, not making it feel like it thought I'm an idiot. But yeah, the world is so believable, and the story is intertwined with the mission design so well, and there are sorts of brilliant game narrative tricks used here and there. Man, why did I wait so long to finish this?

Oh, the Gold version also added three new missions. I think one of them wasn't needed, but the other two are lots of fun and add to the story.

BUT the greatest thing about Gold is the Blooper Reel mission. Best Easter egg ever (next to Maniac Mansion in DOTT)! It's basically a modified version of the first mission, but filled with fun stuff. Like, it shows a bunch of weird bugs they discovered during development which are musing, such as archers launching apples at you, midget guards, monsters that fart themselves to death, dancing zombies, killer treasure boxes; that sort of thing. It also has a few things they cut out of the game or changed, such as the original Bugbeast model (which looks like a naked green lady), and they show early sketches in clever ways. Like, in the areas where there are paintings, some of them are replaced with the sketche version of them. There are signs all over the place with commentary on the various things, ALSO THERE IS A BASKETBALL COURT. So yeah, man, every game needs something like this. Also, I guess it turns out Looking Glass were the first people to provide in-game commentary! And this was before DVD commentaries! Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it, Valve.

So I’m pretty certain I’m going to play Thief 2 next!

Oh, a final note; I’m thankful that Thief isn’t a long game. It was about ten-eleven hours which is a very comfortable length for this sort of game. Hooray for no filler. It probably also helped that I was trying to be real thiefy and just grab my objective and any loot on the way while leaving as little trace as possible. Probably would have been much longer if I felt the need to explore everywhere... but even on levels where I DID do that, none of them lasted longer than two hours. Or even an hour and a half, I think.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Ravenscroft in Half-Life 2, and it would have been a really nice clean way to end my play session if the Priest hadn't glitched and failed to open the fucking door to the mines, so I was just left with him perpetually telling me to 'get to the mines, brother!' in front of a gate that was plainly closed.

I also thought it was funny when at one point on my prescribed route he told me 'you're on the wrong side of town, brother! Did I not tell you to get to the church?' Yeah, well maybe I would have gone straight to the church if some clownstick hadn't filled the place with gates and wire mesh fences that force me to navigate the town in the most twisty-turny and convoluted way ever. At one point I had to jump off a roof into a rain barrel, you crazy fuck!

I don't like the sound of these 'mines', either. The sewer was bad enough. Now I have to go to a MINE, oh joy! I hope there's a mine cart ride section like every video game ever!

Don't get me wrong, this has been my favorite part of the game so far next to the waterways. But, jeez, they make you work for the good stuff.
sediment

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a few to grasp that they wanted me to jump into the rain barrel, honestly. I'm not done with Grigori's funhouse yet, since.. I started playing Mass Effect halfway through.

Ravenholm is crazy awesome, though.

Adilegian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am crazy addicted to No More Heroes.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Ravenville exhausting, not entirely in a bad way, but it isn't my favourite part of the game. The constant ambushes are a bit grating.

I have some kind of weird reverse taste towards half-life 2 though since people keep telling me they found the highway section boring but for me it was the best. It is basically a series of apocalyptic vignettes. A whole game like it would be awesome, but in context the needs of a first person shooter mean that every investigation ends in a pile of ammo crates. Some of the puzzles are fun.

I just played through Penumbra: Black Plague. I'm really glad they decided to end it in one episode, I heard originally they planned to do it as a trilogy. It was a mixed bag and I haven't figured out how I feel about it yet, really. It was entertaining, anyway. I'm also glad to see the developers improving steadily from tech-demo to Penumbra to this, it gives me hope for the future. What strikes me about the game is that in a lot of circumstances it is really satisfying just to make things go and most of the puzzles make me feel clever and not "oh so that's what you wanted, puzzle designer?" It is a slight pity that the game is so wrapped in a survival horror game mentality.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope there's a mine cart ride section like every video game ever!

i think you will be pleasantly surprised on that count.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the mines were mercifully brief!

It's really got to the point where I'm just playing the game for the sake of having played it, since I can't claim to be enjoying the game a whole lot. Still, it's like a variety show; if you didn't like the last bit, maybe you'll like the next one.

That section where I was climbing the structure under a massive railway bridge whilst fighting a helicopter gunship can go and eat a dick, since I killed the helicopter and then fell off the bridge about 5 times. But I kind of like twiddling around in the buggy. The crane was neat, too.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I have started playing this again, although I think I'm going to have to look into trying to get my old save off of my other computer (not exactly sure how that works under Steam -- why can't it save saves across multiple computers anyhow?), since I've just gotten to the first headcrab section and it's a major relief just because I don't have to mess around with a stupid puzzle every 5 minutes or so.

Sure, the HL2 puzzles are "better" than say, modern-day Zelda puzzles; not by much though and going through the game for the second time just makes the more contrived sections that much more irritating.

(Of course my "old" save is in Ravenloft with no ammo and having lost most of the gravity gunnable stuff, so going back to it might not be any better.)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mine scene in half-life 2 is so unnecessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 59 of 85

Jump to: