The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

videogame school
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james im going to punch you in the nose
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would try but it would sort of turn into a fumbled hug and then we'd embrace, our unspoken affection finally given sweet release.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the funniest thing you've said out of caps-lock in a long time
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Dess, what do your tutors think about WiiWare? Seem it's going to revolutionize the videogames industry if the hype's to be believed, since the dev kits cost a quarter of the XBLA ones and the installed user base is enormous.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8947&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=1

Quote:
Among WiiWare developers, opinions on the cost benefits are unanimous. “We wouldn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting this game off the ground without WiiWare,” says Jesse Lowther from Medaverse, the developer of Gravitronix. “We lack the necessary funds to get the game out on retail shelves and the Wii controls are intrinsic to the gameplay. We’ve always wanted to break into game development, but the barrier to entry was high enough that it was never possible without a publisher and the nightmares which come with having to compromise your ideas because your work is on someone else’s dime. WiiWare lowered the barrier to the point where it became a possibility for us.”

Observe:

Quote:
“On one side, you have new and unproven developers creating games, concepts and ideas which could be bizarre and outlandish, and on the other you have the fastest-selling console in history with a unique and revolutionary control scheme,” says Lowther. “It’s like two comets hurling straight at each other. I couldn’t tell you what will happen for sure, but I do know one thing for certain: I’m excited about WiiWare, as both a developer and a player.”

Exciting stuff! Let's make a Wiiware game.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill make o ne with you harveyjames
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Xbox live, isn't the problem the approval/review process, like making sure the fifth level of your game doesn't suddenly throw 200 winged penises at the unsuspecting tyke who downloaded your fiendish trojan horse of a creation? Is there any reason to think Nintendo would be more relaxed?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the problem, is the approval/review process too strict on XBLA? I don't know anything about it.
fish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a resetable process.
if at any time you fail any kind of certification, the process starts over.
you can spend months submitting new builds without ever getting to the end of it.

also, MS has TONS of guidelines and CRTs that you absolutely have to comply to.
sony is much more flexible about these things.

nintendo...who knows?
i dont know anybody working with them personally anyway.
i wouldnt want to be a nintendo 2nd party dev tho.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to work with nintendo, but then I am an Iwata / Miyamoto fanboy.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

week four.

sometimes among my classmates i see that dangerous thing, that reverence to authority thing, that idea that the ability to create a videogame is something that our professors bestow upon us. sometimes classmates will raise hands and ask "is it possible for a game to do this?" as if our teacher is the authority on what is and is not possible in a living medium.

those students who've actually made games, who know that this isn't the case, are visibly frustrated with the curriculum.

i am restless in lectures. i don't feel i'm learning anything. obviously, i've had to invent my own work to feel as though i'm making any progress.

there's so much i want to say in class, so much i want to challenge, but after six hours of class, three hours of homework and three more hours working on my own project, i no longer have the energy to say anything.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it. Challenge it. This is an important time for you and for your fellow students. If all of you don't find the energy to say what needs to be said and do what needs to be done then it's damaging to you, to your fellow students and even the school itself. Otherwise you're just helping the system churn out more damaged goods.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whatever happens, never forget... that we love you, Dess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm ever in your neck of Texas, which probably won't ever happen, you can hand me an index card with all the things you want to say but can't because as a student you're somewhat subject to the authority structure of the school. I'll bust into the lecture hall during a vapid industry talk and read down the list with Gob-like gusto and intensity.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
And whatever happens, never forget... that we love you, Dess.

GAG UARLUBRLBURULUBLRBULRBRLBURUL BLECH
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

except harveyjams, primarily because he's a jerk.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you talking about, just yesterday I sent Dess a lovely picture I made of her on Wii paint, which was attached to a message where I'd put a 'less than' sign next to a three so it would look like a heart, like this ---> <3 . What did you do Cycle, beside make me LOSE MY LUNCH
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cured cancer.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to bed now. And whatever happens, never forget... that I love you, Cycle

Toodles!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know, EVERYone loves me. I'm just that kinda guy, you know? Women want me, and so do men.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i demand that you listen to anarcho-punk and public enemy every morning before class, to get that energy back
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i am restless in lectures. i don't feel i'm learning anything. obviously, i've had to invent my own work to feel as though i'm making any progress.

Welcome to almost any sort of college experience. It really sucks, doesn't it? My first year of college drove me insane because I don't work well in the lecture setting at all. Your best bet for making it through such experiences is to try to find at least one other person there with a similar perspective on it, and sit there and make comments under your breath to each other for as long as the class goes on.

Honestly, lectures were one of the reasons I ran away from any of the science/engineering majors at OSU, as most of them were lecture based, and I just didn't work that way at all.

Quote:
there's so much i want to say in class, so much i want to challenge, but after six hours of class, three hours of homework and three more hours working on my own project, i no longer have the energy to say anything.

yeah, this can be really hard. the lecture setting discourages it a lot, but try to speak up a little. even just doing it once can feel a bit better. I got out of lectures and into smaller classes as fast as I could and never looked back. I have no idea how much of an option this is for you, but if it is at all, do it ASAP for your own sanity. Being able to talk in class constantly made life so much easier for me.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really had a problem speaking my mind in lectures at film school, but that's because I'm a big show-off.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have notebooks full of snarky criticism of things my instructors said. I recommend it.
Redeye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games to play in school.

Draw a gallery of an instructors' clothes.

Divide by category.

Ties, pants, jackets, shoes, etc.

Then assign codes to each item and have a gambling pool based on projected combinations.

My brother and some friends did it in high school to one of the teachers and one of the other teachers found out about it and asked to see it.

She laughed her ass off.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

week five.

the knife i borrowed from a classmate. the paint i sent away for. the cardboard came off the box, and the newspaper was a copy of the dallas morning news i pulled out of the trash.

the shirts they gave away the first day of class, one for everyone, bright red with the school masthead emblazened across the chest. i spread out the newspaper, laid down the shirt, and put on top of it the stencil i had carved out of cardboard. i shook the paint can and sprayed.

minutes later, there's a black space invader sprayed across my school t-shirt.

i adopted the space invader as a personal emblem years ago, but it hasn't been nearly as relevent until i came here. as a queer woman, as an indie games creatrix, i have never felt more like i was intruding on a space that wasn't expecting me.

invader, i.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

week six.

this week i showed up to school without realizing i had a mid-term scheduled. i struggled with it, left three questions blank, and went home deeply upset. they were the "list three things i explicitly mentioned in my lecture" type of question.

i was angry and frustrated that despite all the work i do, for class and on my own time, despite generally knowing my shit, which i think i do, my grades are ultimately decided by my ability to memorize notes the night before an exam.

and my grades are what decide if i stay or if i go, since i'm on academic probation for dropping out of my last school. and then i got angry that anything that happened at my last school, a different experience that i abandoned precisely because it didn't engage me in the way that my current program does, should have any influence over my work in the field i actually care about.

i got my grade back today. it's an 80. i left three questions blank, but i apparently got just about everything else right.

a classmate and i were expressing our mutual dismy at the fact that so many of our classmates' experience with videogames does not seem to extend far beyond world of warcraft.

it saddens and worries me a little. an artist is expected to be able to discuss the work of other artists in her field; if you're an animator, i don't think it's out of the question to expect you to be capable of having an intelligent conversation about the work of osamu tezuka, or at least walt disney.

i appreciate that people have different perspectives and backgrounds, and i think the medium needs those people; but, at least for me, i think that if i am engaged in the medium of videogames, i should be at least somewhat familiar with the work of eugene jarvis, dave theurer, jeff minter, yu suzuki, richard garriot, jordan mechner, gunpei yokoi, shigeru miyamoto, matsuura masaya, yuji horii. i just feel as though i have a sense of my medium.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conversely do you know anything about world of warcraft? GOD THERES THIS GIRL AND SHES ALL I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT GAKMES BUT SHE HASNT EVEN PLAYED WORLD OF WARCRAFT!! maybe someone is thinking that about you gosh thats so lame
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, congrats on the test!

You know, I'm not sure I think that having a base of knowledge of other creator's work is as important as you do. I have a friend who draws comics and yet knows shit about the history of comics- that doesn't change the fact that her comics are incredible.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
week six.

this week i showed up to school without realizing i had a mid-term scheduled. i struggled with it, left three questions blank, and went home deeply upset. they were the "list three things i explicitly mentioned in my lecture" type of question.

i was angry and frustrated that despite all the work i do, for class and on my own time, despite generally <i>knowing my shit</i>, which i think i do, my grades are ultimately decided by my ability to memorize notes the night before an exam.

and my grades are what decide if i stay or if i go, since i'm on academic probation for dropping out of my last school. and then i got angry that anything that happened at my last school, a different experience that i abandoned precisely because it didn't engage me in the way that my current program does, should have any influence over my work in the field i actually care about.

i got my grade back today. it's an 80. i left three questions blank, but i apparently got just about everything else right.

a classmate and i were expressing our mutual dismy at the fact that so many of our classmates' experience with videogames does not seem to extend far beyond world of warcraft.

it saddens and worries me a little. an artist is expected to be able to discuss the work of other artists in her field; if you're an animator, i don't think it's out of the question to expect you to be capable of having an intelligent conversation about the work of osamu tezuka, or at least walt disney.

i appreciate that people have different perspectives and backgrounds, and i think the medium needs those people; but, at least for me, i think that if i am engaged in the medium of videogames, i should be at least somewhat familiar with the work of eugene jarvis, dave theurer, jeff minter, yu suzuki, richard garriot, jordan mechner, gunpei yokoi, shigeru miyamoto, matsuura masaya, yuji horii. i just feel as though i have a sense of my medium.

See, in one way I agree with you here, but at the same time I realize that there are a lot of people who are into primarily PC games, and if were to talk to them about any of the names mentioned they'd be clueless. Does this make them any less qualified to make games? In a way, yes, for sure, but in another way maybe people like you and I are actually missing out on some of their knowledge?

Lately I feel this way. There are people who have been playing American games their whole lives and here I am thinking that with an Xbox 360 the West can finally make great games. Maybe it's been happening all along but I've just been stuck behind a TV instead of computer monitor? I mean, I'm playing Professor Layton and feeling enlightened, but really what's the difference between it and 7th Guest? It kind of bothers me for a bit, then I go back to playing Picross.

-Wes
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

super wes i just said that but less eloquently why do you have to do that to me
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were concise and make the reader do the work, though. Like Confucious!
Redeye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More whining about industry worker exploitation.

I guess the Week 1 intervention business at videogame school explained all of this.
Adilegian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

This isn't too uncommon, which is unfortunate. I go to a top ranked poetry MA program, and I've discovered several people who don't even know the pivotal poets of the mid-to-late 20th century--much less anything contemporary.

This leads me to question people's motivations.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey where? And do you share your stuff?
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adilegian wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

This isn't too uncommon, which is unfortunate. I go to a top ranked poetry MA program, and I've discovered several people who don't even know the pivotal poets of the mid-to-late 20th century--much less anything contemporary.

This leads me to question people's motivations.

Yeah, granted my grad school is probably not even ranked anywhere at all, but you would think out of a bunch of lit majors someone would have read Gravity's Rainbow, but no, you would be wrong.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they might have read a bunch of books you haven't, who knows.

Seriously there are dudes in Africa who've never heard of Michelangelo but it doesn't make their carvings and sculptures any less beautiful. I don't think talent and creativity are the same thing as having an enclycopedic knowledge of other artists in your field. In fact sometimes the best thing you can do is just ignore what everyone else is doing / has done and create your own stuff completely that's completely independent of the rest of society.

Case in point, Shigeru Miyamoto has said many times over the past 30 or so years that he 'doesn't really play other people's games'.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Seriously there are dudes in Africa who've never heard of Michelangelo but it doesn't make their carvings and sculptures any less beautiful. I don't think talent and creativity are the same thing as having an enclycopedic knowledge of other artists in your field. In fact sometimes the best thing you can do is just ignore what everyone else is doing / has done and create your own stuff completely that's completely independent of the rest of society.

Case in point, Shigeru Miyamoto has said many times over the past 30 or so years that he 'doesn't really play other people's games'.

It's tough; I do see your point. But I see the other side; the artists in Africa are making art grounded in their culture, the fact that people in other cultures can appreciate it is a side benefit. Except, that's wrong, because I don't buy into beauty and wonder only being a culturally relativistic thing; I guess the upshot is, some understanding of what came before is probably useful, if only to crib ideas from, and not having that background knowledge in the case of poets and prose writers probably smacks more of laziness than an attempt at being sheltered from preconceived notions.

Bringing it back to games; I dunno. You certainly wouldn't get a Mario Galaxies or even a Rez w/o knowing something of what came before, on the other hand, it's easy to fall back to the tropes.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely- I guess what I'm saying is that snobbery of this type is kind of pointless. I mean these guys might not have played Earthbound through to the end, but the chances are they've got life experiences in areas I can't even imagine. I'm sure it all rounds out.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one's circle of familiarity often happens by chance.

and sometimes people are just plain ignorant.

or really, really monochromatic. (same diff)

it happens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Value systems guide the choices of information to consume.

OR:

Yeah, I know there's more to it than that.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly you don't have to have a varied background to appreciate or create "art" or whatever we want to call it. Media. Texts. Whichever.

The question is then given the existence of videogame "schools", whether you should expect people to have a varied background in the medium and/or whether the school should provide some sort of perspective related to that (i.e. should "art" schools teach representational art, impressionism, expressionism, cubism etc., for a given definition of teach, that is, should they make you try and replicate or art or just clue you in to its existence?).

I don't think you necessarily need to have a wide background in games in order to make good ones -- the best videogame designer I know doesn't have a console or computer in his house. Instead, it's all erector-set style toys, board games and scratch paper fucking everywhere.

In any case, I would say that a wide knowledge base in a school concentrating on production, like art school or videogame school, isn't really a requirement, it's what each individual gets out of it in terms of their personal production, although offering some sort of optional overview course seems like a good idea. Comparing this to say, graduate school in literature is a bit of apples and oranges because then we're talking about critical studies, in which case I would say a wide knowledge base would be beneficial and probably expected.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and not everyone can afford to have played that many videogames. I mean university is pretty elitist as it is, what with the tuition fees and all. Expecting people to have bought and played an enormous amount of computer games beforehand is just adding to the problem. Obviously there's emulation and piracy, but you can't expect everyone to do that, especially since emulating anything made since the Playstation is quite difficult.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wasn't saying all people at dess's school should know videogames. I guess my own schooling is a bit different, as we are there to study literature, so I would expect people to be better read, but in an environment of creation, I would expect more variation in the levels of knowledge. Like some people might know a ton of games, others, not so much.

It also could just be that people only talk about WoW because they know it is an easy common ground.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, probably, just like how in the first year most everyone at animation school talked about Scooby Doo and not Jan Svankmajer.

Then again I'm willing to bet these guys who talk about World of Warcraft are just really into World of Warcraft.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Then again I'm willing to bet these guys who talk about World of Warcraft are just really into World of Warcraft.

This is probably the case, but i am just trying to give dess some hope.
Adilegian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Hey where? And do you share your stuff?

Numma 1: The Center for Writers at the University of Southern Mississippi.

Numma 2: Not really. Unlike my prose writing (which I like to subject to all kinds of criticism), I only like to show my poetic work in progress to a few people (almost all of whom happen to me in the program here).

Harveyjames wrote:

I can accept that point, but it's always struck me as odd when someone who really likes something (purportedly) remains unaware of larger activity within the field. Encyclopedic knowledge isn't necessary, no, but I expect something closer to "general awareness of the field." When I was an undergrad, my professors made sure early on to ingrain me with a scholastic work ethic, so I'd be sure to research any topic thoroughly before I started writing about it seriously in an essay.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have high expectations of people who outwardly claim to care as much about the things I care a lot about, so I'm disappointed when I discover that their passion isn't as involved or serious. The useful thing about a university setting, though, is that it increases the percentage that you're likely to find like-minded peers.

Harveyjames wrote:
I mean these guys might not have played Earthbound through to the end, but the chances are they've got life experiences in areas I can't even imagine.

I guess a counterargument would be that life experiences don't always equate with solid visions of how to innovate the medium's craft. Sure, you can bank on the 1/100000000000000000000000000000000000000000 chance that someone blindingly original will destroy everything being done in the field as a savant, but improvements usually happen by degrees and are made by talented non-geniuses. If you're one of those (and almost all of us are), you're going to need some idea of what's come before in the craft, in order to decide what should come next.

To use an illustration from philosophy, I'm sure that all of us have reached a profound, sincere proposal about the meaning of life, then later discovered that the thought originated back in the early 1900s (or, more likely, much earlier). That's kind of the same thing... if people don't learn about the wheel, then they stand a much better chance of exerting a ton of energy re-inventing it rather than making, say, a cart.

These are all generalizations, I know, so I don't put a whole lot of stock in them when it comes to specific situations with specific individuals. At least not at first.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
[

Yeah, granted my grad school is probably not even ranked anywhere at all, but you would think out of a bunch of lit majors someone would have read Gravity's Rainbow, but no, you would be wrong.

its funny that people like ME read gravitys rainbow
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see what everyone is saying but it WOULD be nice if dess's school had A LITTLE more variety, like i met some of them and it was almost acceptable but still
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: