The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pimp-hand/jab/barrel kick/stomp!: a god hand help thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: pimp-hand/jab/barrel kick/stomp!: a god hand help thread Reply with quote

So I just got around to God Hand. It's exhilarating, but I have no real idea what I'm doing. Part of the problem is that videogame economies (buying moves, upgrading abilities) tends to be too abstract a process for me to figure out. I really hate doing it, and I would appreciate some advice on tightening up my repertoire effectively.

Also, tips for the actual fighting? So far I know that things to beat people with are optimal, dodging is necessary, and...some moves have the same commands?

Surf Music should be the default soundtrack for all beat-downy games.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unable to play this game without watching a video, and my friend was unable without my coaching him. You really do need to see someone else play it right. So, do that here. The game is much more about the launch/juggle/sweep/dodge dynamic than combo/guardbreaker/dodge. Dodging is obviously important, but often more for canceling purposes than dodging itself.

As for the economy--just worry about basic upgrades for a while. Once chihuahua racing opens up, you can bet on Lucky Clover (wins about 4/5ths of the time) endlessly and get free money, then buy whatever you want. The move "Reverse Hell Kick" makes the game quite a bit easier as it will always launch weaker enemies, even if they're on the ground.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Worm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the video to enjoy the game, but I picked it up on my own. It can be done.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
digi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I beat this game in a couple sittings on my own [on easy, of course], though that video is pretty nice to get some inspiration for combo techs.

I think the hardest thing to get down when you're starting out is properly keeping track of the enemies closing in on the sides and behind you, and how to evade and fight in those situations. In some cases you can fight while surrounded, though most of the time it's the most punishing spot to find yourself in.
bleak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General strategies for the game include putting fast yet powerful moves on your square button combo. you don't want to have too much of a delay on them since that'll take up precious godhand time while you're pummeling.

Yes Man Kablaam is a superb move, it only does 10 damage but it adds a significant portion of TP to your TP gauge.

Juggling/sweeping/dodge canceling as mentioned before is a must, but one can't really overstate the importance of it. I'm really bad at dodge canceling so I can't really tell you what you can dodge cancel but I'm sure that one of us can find/knows that information.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that the most important thing to dodge-cancel isn't any particular move, but the half-second stagger Gene goes through when he gets hit. Whenever you get hit, you should immediately backflip.

There are good suggestions on what moves to dodge-cancel in this guide. (Search for [use] )

Another one not listed is Punch X 2, Guard Breaker, Sidestep. If done properly this can be used as an infinite combo (I think there's a youtube video, but I can't find it.) Another guide claims that Right Roundhouse 3 + sidestep cancel is the most powerful move in the game, but only if canceled properly.

I never got good at sidestepping, I always relied on the backflip. So I guess practice sidestepping!

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: