The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cross-posted because I want answers: 360 media problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: cross-posted because I want answers: 360 media problems Reply with quote

Narrowing down the causes. I know I posted about this before, somewhere or other. Maybe it was here. I'm posting this both here and at IC, though, because this is driving me nuts.

My Xbox 360 media viewer seems to crash whenever I load a directory containing XviD-encoded .avi files and it tries to build thumbnails out of them. The only way I can get it to load the files is to restart and quickly go to the same directory, in which the system will have substituted generic thumbnails. Navigate too far away, though, and the problem resumes.

Is there any way I can avoid this problem? It's really irritating.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like codec issues. I've had the same problem in windows XP, which was alleviated by installing a few codec packs. dunno how much of that you can do on a 360 though.
skonrad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Tversity lately (http://www.tversity.com/home ) as it does live transcoding of files that Media Centre can't view, and does so by transcoding it into WMV. Sometimes it doesn't work, but it's probably worth giving a try.
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translate "transcode". is this a recompression, or is this, like, flipping a few bits to turn an XviD file into a DivX one?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit flipping would be more accurate, I guess.

It takes a source, reads in about a minute of it, converts it to a format the destination device can view, sends it, and begins converting the next minute. This basically allows the client (xbox) to view files it isn't specifically programmed to view. It's especially good for things like Real Media, etc. which you would have to re-encode into WMV or DivX to view.

The awesomer part of it is that it also creates a flash site at

http://192.168.X.XXX:41952/flashlib (where x is replaced with the host computer's IP address)

so that any web enabled device on your network that can play flash videos (wii, ps3, psp, etc.) can use that interface to access them. Flash video transcoding is a bit of a resource hog, though, so it doesn't work on HD files unless you have a super fast processor.
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I see what's going on here. This is clever!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sometimes annoying downside is that you have to click a reload button on the host to get tversity to update the shared directories -- there's nothing on the client side (yet) that will force the update. It's 85% awesome, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: