The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PORTAL COMBAT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my mistake. I meant Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Though Bad Company looks neat, but that is a console exclusive, yeah.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddly enough i finished that yesterday.

what it's missing, frankly, is the sense of being totally helpless in the middle of a giant battle.

on the other hand that whole execution thing was *great*.

here's a wish - games that end with player failure no matter what. that's kind of a neat narrative trick.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting take. It's true that in certain regards the standard difficulty doesn't replicate that sentiment entirely, but on the other hand, the alternative is hard as nails.

What you're asking for, though, yet again oddly enough, is part of what I dreamed up. You could only get away with that with a short title, I think. It's hard to say how popular it would kick off with a major audience. It's the sort of thing I'd see going down well with a European audience, honestly.

What did you make of the gunship session? Or the end of the first act? Or even the map/briefing narrative/loading tricks?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was very impressed with all of those elements. the gunship mission in particular was one of the more subversive moments in a while.

and the load screens fuck yes. so much better than staring at a bunch of painted backdrops or whatever.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
what it's missing, frankly, is the sense of being totally helpless in the middle of a giant battle.

Yeah, at times it kind of captures feeling lost/turned around in battle, but never really helpless. That would have been a nice addition, but much harder to do. I also think the game could have used a little more focus in areas that I tended to linger on a bit to long and started noticing things that weren't good about the game.

I kind of really want to play more CoD4 online now.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it wore off, eventually, but somehow "connect two discontinuous areas of a map" still strikes me as a great mine melter, much more so than a typical "puzzle game", even one that has a good object gimmick to play with.

Admittedly I got that more in Narbacular Drop, and familiarity bred content in Portal. But more so than the writing, scenario, puzzle design, etc--- it was this one amazing what-if.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I kind of really want to play more CoD4 online now.

yes shaper please play this more as I have been playing a lot lately and it is wonderful.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My net connection is so awful though ;_;

The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't be bothered getting on the defending-Portal-bandwagon which everyone was doing so well, but Call of Duty 4, there's something to talk about! I really enjoyed the CoD4 that I've played - the single player was incredibly well done and compelling for the three missions I played. The multiplayer too (when on team modes), was some great squad-based action, almost as enjoyable if not more so than F.E.A.R. Combat (I tried it on free-for-all though, and it sucked balls). Especially that time I unloaded the rocket launcher into my poor, reloading friend at point blank range.

My only real beef with CoD4 is that if you're new and playing against somebody who's been playing forever, their account has unlocked a hundred stupid abilities that can be used to totally beat your face into the ground six ways to Thursday, and there is literally nothing you can do about it.

Oh, and knives are stupidly powerful. What is it with FPS' and making melee weapons so horrendously overpowered to compensate for the fact you have to get close to use them. Gah.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

I know and I shed tears about this regularly. When you have a better internet connection, we are going to rock so much of this again, because I have all my weapons and stuff, and I am having fun experimenting with things. Being a total stealth asshole with a P90 is just way too satisfying. I have completely messed up teams just because they rely far too much on the UAV.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
Oh, and knives are stupidly powerful. What is it with FPS' and making melee weapons so horrendously overpowered to compensate for the fact you have to get close to use them. Gah.

Yeah, I kept waiting for a patch to come out that would make knives only kill you on one hit if you were already 50% damaged or more. It never happen and is exceptionally irritating when you have to shoot someone in the head three times to kill them with a pistol, but you only have to knife them once in the arm.
boojiboy7 wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

I know and I shed tears about this regularly. When you have a better internet connection, we are going to rock so much of this again, because I have all my weapons and stuff, and I am having fun experimenting with things. Being a total stealth asshole with a P90 is just way too satisfying. I have completely messed up teams just because they rely far too much on the UAV.

Well, I use to be able to get a decent connection at night, but now my dad set up Windows Home Server and backs up all his PCs between midnight and 6 am... so that's eating up all the wireless bandwidth Sad

Perhaps I should try again anyways.

bleak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
My only real beef with CoD4 is that if you're new and playing against somebody who's been playing forever, their account has unlocked a hundred stupid abilities that can be used to totally beat your face into the ground six ways to Thursday, and there is literally nothing you can do about it.

1. You can kill them! I find that usually does the trick.

2. The knives should be weaker than the bullets, yeah, but why complain about the knife damage being askew when the bullet damage is even worse?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
1. You can kill them! I find that usually does the trick.

2. The knives should be weaker than the bullets, yeah, but why complain about the knife damage being askew when the bullet damage is even worse?

I got a lot of things to complain about. I'm a busy man. Don't look at me.

Also, I do kill them, and then their dead body reflexively pulls, primes and spits out a grenade somehow and I have to hold down shift, sprint fifteen kilometres away, log off the server, yank my computer out of the wall and drive it across the border to get away from the fucking ridiculously huge explosion. TRUE STORY

Shapermc wrote:
Yeah, I kept waiting for a patch to come out that would make knives only kill you on one hit if you were already 50% damaged or more. It never happen and is exceptionally irritating when you have to shoot someone in the head three times to kill them with a pistol, but you only have to knife them once in the arm.

Totally, what the hell. It's still fun though. I intend to revisit the single player once I finish the hundreds of other things screeching for my attention.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:

If you mean the bullets should be stronger, just play hardcore, where most of them are one hit kills. If you mean they should be weaker, you aren't playing the right FPS.
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
bleak wrote:

If you mean the bullets should be stronger, just play hardcore, where most of them are one hit kills. If you mean they should be weaker, you aren't playing the right FPS.
no, you misunderstand. I don't have a problem with the way the damage scaling is in the game, I just think it's silly to complain about knife damage being unrealistic or what have you when you mention in the very same post the of the 3 bullet headshot kill.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like you have a (or are saying the poster you were referencing does) problem with the damage scaling.

of course, I have never seen a 3 hit headshot in CoD, but whatever.
bleak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah I was saying that I sure don't, so that only leaves one option. Smile

In any case, I've been informed that the pistol headshot magic number is 2, which is generally still 1 more than it takes to kill a person. In any case, it don't matter much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be surprised how those melons react to small calibre fire. Or heavy, for that matter: There's a reason snipers are trained to aim for the heart rather than the head.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how people know it is 2 to get a pistol headshot kill. The reason I ask it that the guns in the game all have slight inaccuracies (similar to a normal gun) and the game gives you a specific sound when you get a head shot. In other words, I am picturing a lot of people who think they got headshots but didn't complaining about how they think the game cheated them.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
There's a reason snipers are trained to aim for the heart rather than the head.

Actually, all people who use a weapon are trained to aim for "center mass"

This really messes with me when I play fps games because I hardly ever get headshots.

Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centre mass is a general rule for all firing because it's the more prominent target. However, when you're a long-range sniper who's under considerably less stress and can more or less take his time making a shot, a bullet to the heart will pretty much turn it to mash and then your target is utterly fucked.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't decide if this thread is more or less geeky than the BAM-like thread.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Centre mass is a general rule for all firing because it's the more prominent target. However, when you're a long-range sniper who's under considerably less stress and can more or less take his time making a shot, a bullet to the heart will pretty much turn it to mash and then your target is utterly fucked.

whatever dude, no matter what you do it is only going to shoot his arm off.
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is this years SOTC
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

here's a wish - games that end with player failure no matter what. that's kind of a neat narrative trick.

From your lips to God's ears

Or just read the walkthrough.

It's about losing well, perhaps.

The wiki for the story
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of an apocalyptic multiplayer zombie game is one that both fascinates and appals me with its godless depressing nihilism. take the atmosphere of STALKER, the weapons of Dead Rising and the rage virus of 28 days later.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is an ugly experience. Utterly worthwhile, though, if you can get through it.

There are a number of arcade games were you fail no matter what. I'm thinking Cyber Lip, with its twist ending, but there was another weird shooter title whose name I can't recollect wherein you played the last surviving family on Earth, after evil aliens had reversed the spin of the planet and invaded time. As I remember, once you completed the game, you had wiped out this invading force, but it was all in vain, as you were still alone and your player character turned evil regardless, slaughtering his family.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing this game on the Amiga where you're in a helicopter and side-scroll along, killing things. The final boss is some giant... hell, I can't remember, but I remember everything blowing up and the end screen says you died with it and says this little thing about people dying for peace and some crap like that.

I was about 7 years old, and this INFURIATED me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After not paying attention to any Portal talk for the past few months, I finally played it for the first time today. I just "finished" the course a little bit ago.

1. The writing is fun, with consistently demented AI, very much in holding with that brand of gonzo scientist present throughout the Half Life world (these are, as we've seen, people who turn their test subjects into pets and such). I like the turrets best.
2. I appreciate the use of "off course" areas, starting with just a couple glimpses of non-functional spaces to add depth to the course setting, which in turn alter the entire sense of play once you're actually behind the scenes.
3. Like kirkjerk mentioned, the central mechanic is wonderfully bewildering. This is no typical amplification/modification of normal physical law; it's something entirely new that the mind's just unprepared for, much like the time control of Sands of Time, or the gravity in Prey (portals there too, though never used to their potential in that environment).
4. But the brevity is what keeps that fresh. From what I'm hearing here, it sounds like there are challenges after the main game or something, which I may well never play. I'm enjoying the thrill of jumping off a cliff to catapult myself out of a wall and over a chasm here, and I'm not sure I want to turn that exhilaration into a practiced technical maneuver.
5. So far, I'm not sure why people are complaining about the PS3 Orange Box, but that's working in my favor as I just bought my rental copy for cheap!
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon finishing:

6. The final battle's fine by me, insofar as it's not really a battle but more an extension of previous concepts. The structure is pretty boring and thoroughly played out, sure, but I thought it did a good job of applying Portal's model and aesthetic sense to the "Half Life final battle" scenario. Plus the addition of weapon partially under your control was a nice touch and helped to bridge the gap between puzzle game and action game. I quickly figured out it was best to face the portal, use the turret's sight as my own, and rely on sound to get myself out of the way.

7. The graffiti road signs were a bit much, though. Who's supposed to have gone before you here?

8. Pretty good, as a whole. Lots of nice elements that the portal mechanic allowed, and a good aesthetic throughout. The fight actually gave me hope for the mechanic's ability to hold up in an action setting; and I'd love to see it further utilized. Am I silly to hope it might make an appearance in Episode 3?

9. But as I thought, I've got no desire to go back and do the challenges. Count my steps? No thanks.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplicio, you're many things, but never silly.

I'm in the Citadel in HL2: Episode 1 right now, and I can't help but wish this sterile (if volatile) environment would open up to the aperture science repertoire.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:

wish this sterile (if volatile) environment would open up to the aperture science repertoire.
Yes, I can see that if they confined the use to certain areas then it would make a wonderful addition, confuse the AI to hell.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
8. Pretty good, as a whole. Lots of nice elements that the portal mechanic allowed, and a good aesthetic throughout. The fight actually gave me hope for the mechanic's ability to hold up in an action setting; and I'd love to see it further utilized. Am I silly to hope it might make an appearance in Episode 3.

From what I've been hearing, it will.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you hearing it from?

I really hope it doesn't. They'd have to work especially hard to make it sensible and contextual without seeming restrictive. It would be a very tough sale.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that what we love Valve for though? Working especially hard?

I trust them more than anyone else to make it work sensibly, I guess.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is certainly true! It's just that trying to employ the Portal gun in a setting mostly recognised for its real-world sensibility and credibility, even once you hit the Citadel, would be very difficult to pull off if you didn't want to undermine the player's sense of freedom.

Unless they set events involving the gun in a setting similar to the experiment labs of Portal, but again, this is problematic if it doesn't want to appear convoluted.

That said, a Citadel setting might work, but how do you go about justifying obstacles in an otherwise fairly wide and sparse place?

Well, it this is the case, we'll just have to see, I suppose. I'd be glad to hear any details for Episode Three at this point. If they set it at sea, aboard the ship, it would be neat if they added the flare gun like planned in the original game.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd be surprised if "portal technology" doesn't make an appearance in half-life 2-3, but i doubt it'll be as free to use as the "make a portal anywhere you can see" gun in portal. not just because it would be difficult to constrain gameplay around it, but because it would be a nightmare to make enemy pathfinding work with it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should save it for the inevitable Half-Life 3, really. Too risky a potential inconsistency with the episodes. But that's a long way ahead either way.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i'd be surprised if "portal technology" doesn't make an appearance in half-life 2-3, but i doubt it'll be as free to use as the "make a portal anywhere you can see" gun in portal. not just because it would be difficult to constrain gameplay around it, but because it would be a nightmare to make enemy pathfinding work with it.

Of course, you could only use the Portal Gun in on certain surfaces in Portal, and discovering exactly which surfaces had started to feel like part of the puzzle by the end. The last section of that game really felt like you were playing Half-Life, so I can easily imagine the portal gun in such a scenario!

Speaking of Portal, I FINALLY PLAYED PORTAL

It's great!

Man, why do people think this game is too short? It's huge! After you've done the 19 puzzles the 'escape' sequence seems to go on for about 2/5ths of the game's running time, and then there's 5 whole 'advanced' chapters again added onto that, so you aren't left wanting.

I 'd had the ending spoiled for me long ago by reading junk on the internet, but I'd somehow got the impression the ending sequence was far better than it actually was. The details of my imagined ending are pretty specific, too, which makes me wonder where I must have got it from. In my version, by game's end you're left in a massive expanse of green field in bright sunlight, rolling hills stretching seemingly into infinity, and the ruined Aperture Science building behind you. In front of you is freedom, barred by a huge chasm. You escape by placing two portals at the bottom of the chasm, jumping into one and flying out of the other, at which point the game fades to white. Obviously, this does not happen at all. Crazy!

Also the writing is great. So in conclusion, F THE HATARZ

As an afterthought, I did think that ending flythrough leading to the cake was a little gratuitous considering there had been no cuts up to that point. It really broke the storytelling style they spent the rest of the game establishing. Also it's meaningless from a narrative point of view. So there really was a cake??! And GlaDOS is still alive!! So what on both counts? I guess these plot elements serve to make GlaDOS a more sympathetic character (she really does love you!), but it negates all the dramatic tension. I can only assume they're setting her up for a return appearance, in which case F that, I want stories with a beginning, a middle and an end.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe it was just funny?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So funny that I forgot to laugh!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

Don't joke about that Cycle, it is a serious disability and you should see a doctor or therapist as soon as possible.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Maybe it was just funny AND all my points still stand, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Cycle wrote:

We should just have a top post which says

DRACKO: really likes Portal
CYCLE: really hates Portal

So if we ever wonder what either of you two think on the subject we'll just refer to that one post, and that'll save you making any more.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycle you have butt cancer probably Sad
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read:

D-A-I-S wrote:

Don't joke about that Cycle, it is a serious disability and you should see a doctor or the rapist as soon as possible.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visisted Harveyjams last weekend!

lol c wut i did thar
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever tried kissing a girl against her will? Like pushing her into a back room at a party and holding her down and kissing her. It's kind of neat. I mean, don't do it to nice girls, just the ones who are asking for it obviously. They really enjoy it!

Before I typed that out I thought 'oh-oh, what would Dess say'

Dess might have wrote:
James, I insist you type out these charming views immediately!
Redeye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealing Kisses.

Social Gamesmanship.

Never did figure that shit out beyond the theory phase.

As for Portal:

Maybe they'll just have Passwall Mines.

Maybe even throwable.

Limit the number of mines, places you can use them, and take them away occaisionally.

I hate that last bit, oh I hate it when they do that.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Dracko wrote:

Maybe it was just funny AND all my points still stand, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Yeah, that's about the size of it.

I liked the song, but the tableau w/ the damn cake was kind of the equivalent of an 80s-era halloween costume that has the face of the character portrayed right across the chest.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also kind of reminded me of the Masters of The Universe film where you wait until after the credits and Skeletor's head pops out of the lava and says 'I'll be back!'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: