The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zombie Dreamcast Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Zombie Dreamcast Thread Reply with quote

So, in recent times I have found myself in the fortunate position of being able to buy up a Dreamcast, with oodles and oodles of games included.
Here is where I would like to resurrect the old white box from the grave for a while, to discuss some things in particular. Pirating may or may not come into question [rare games and defunct systems = justification?] and so on.
I'm surprised how many people in real life I meet don't still fawn over their Dreamcasts as much as earlier gen systems for nostalgia. I can only barely get past the second stage of Ikaruga, but I know that it's a freaking masterpiece already.

Man let's just talk about Ikaruga I mean god those Yourtub videos of people who actually got to the final boss? Maaaaaan.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People use to fawn over the DC with nostalgia pretty much instantly after it was "dead", but since then many of the games that made it amazing have since been released on other consoles, or have been emulated from their arcade counterpart. So, a little bit of the majesty has waned.

Though, there's still a ton of games that you can't get on other systems that are brilliant and fun, but mostly either in a campy sort of way (Blue Stinger and D2) or in an arcade style quick romp (Border Down, Dynamite Deka 2, and Under Defeat).

As for burning/pirating games, well, if the games aren't commerically available I don't really see the huge problem with it. With that said: be careful of having too many burned games. Since the DC's games were generally encoded backwards and the laser drives aren't so hot, playing a lot of burned games will wear out the parts on your DC quite quickly.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
digi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's definitely a risk factor, and I think that the person who had this thing before me just exclusively played burned games on it. The strain manifests in LOUD NOISES, though if it's a recently burned, scratch-free thing, the sound seems relatively normal. I guess it's pretty hardy!
All the same, I'd like to hit up some pawn shows around here to dig for stuff. I'm wary of eBay, especially considering how prevalent the burned stuff is [the last DVD I bought on eBay stunk like a Chinese Plastic Factory].
Right now I'm hitting up some Sword of the Berserk, which, for all it's clunky faults in level design, I can forgive just for the Susumu Hirasawa intro theme.
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall letting my little guy from Seaman die when he spouted off to me one day. I was sure to take good care of him, checking in on him a few times a day. Then the little bastard was snarky when I only checked in later one evening. Enjoy digital death, junior. Damn, I do love Leonard Nimoy's voice though.

I imported my system just so I could play Virtua Fighter 3tb as soon as possible. It was great, because a few weeks after I got it in, I found some guy online who would sell me his used import games for about $20. It got to the point where I was buying 2-3 new games every check, and it was a hoot to read about Power Stone and Sega Rally 2 previews and then play them right after. I recall playing Shenmue for hours on end with a friend, just checking out every little place possible after spending hours in the arcade.

During its last days, I would hit up Circuit City for all that I could find. I still have sealed copies of Virtua Fighter 3tb and Jet Grind Radio, just because they were all of $4 and I couldn't say no. I picked up a lot of good stuff then.

I broke my first system doing a damn cable swap trick just so I could play domestic games. A video store had $2 Tuesday, so I would go with my friend (same one who played Shenmue with me) and rent 5-6 of the newest titles and veg out with him for a good day or two, going through everything. Long bouts of Virtua Tennis and Marvel vs. Capcom came about from those Tuesdays.

Even though I like the Dreamcast, I was, and am, a huge fan of the Saturn, so it felt like a step down. There were so many things I enjoyed on the Saturn that didn't get a sequel on the Dreamcast or were changed in a way that I wasn't a fan of. I still play my Saturn regularly, but only every so often do I break out the Dreamcast. I most own three of the things, scattered about houses and offices. I still have a healthy collection, actually. I should break it out again.
Hospital Zone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
People use to fawn over the DC with nostalgia pretty much instantly after it was "dead", but since then many of the games that made it amazing have since been released on other consoles, or have been emulated from their arcade counterpart. So, a little bit of the majesty has waned.

This is a boat I sadly missed. When I started playing Ikaruga, maybe two years ago, I felt a serious generation gap. I played it on a friend's Gamecube, and a few other DC games, after the great Sega shift. I appreciated the chance to play the games though, as I am not a pirate and some are really worth playing.

I barely have sea legs.

Maybe this is off topic but, has anyone else felt this, about the DC or another system? Or do I just live in a black hole of being slow get while the getting's good? The Neo-Geo systems are something I also wished I'd spent some time with. I'm having fun with a Neo-Geo arcade board with a few MVS carts. I'm from a small town, so being able to play some Samuri Showdown without spending all my allowance is like releasing a breath that's been held for ten years.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, digi, get Jet Set Radio. The first is much better than the Xbox sequel, and hasn't been released on another system (yet). Very much worth spending time with.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Jet Set Radio = excellent

I have very fond memories of the Dreamcast!
Worm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it run NetBSD?

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
digi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Oh, digi, get Jet Set Radio. The first is much better than the Xbox sequel, and hasn't been released on another system (yet). Very much worth spending time with.

Hells yes I've been playing this a bit last night and all morning. I'd played the sequel on an xbox before, though this is definitely the tighter game. I really like the 'make your own grafitti' bit and the gradual escalation of police presence/force as you go along a stage.

I also just picked up the first Soul Calibur game, as well as Shenmue [which, I think, aren't available on anything else?]. More on that later.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, neither is Virtua Fighter 3tb, but that's worth skipping for a later version.

Also, I recommend looking into Giga Wing 2 (if you can have 4 person multi player and like the game) and Cannon Spike. If you're into their style they never got ported that I know of.

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we used to have piles of dreamcasts lying around becuase my best friends stepdad worked for sega, and he would hide dreamcasts in the house becuase no one was buying them, and he liked to pretend that the ghost of sega was haunting their house

i should go pick up one of those dreamcasts, ive been wanting to play a good port of MVC2

man i love that system still, it got me into the jojos bizarre adventure anime!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manga is better than the anime (JoJo). The first whole story arc is all about vampires and horse killing. The second story arc is one of my favorites and where the character of Guile is taken from in. The third story arc (the one that's currently being published and censored in the US) is my least favorite. Things get good again when they stop worrying about being 99.9% about fighting and actually have some good character development in the 4th story arc. Not that the 3rd story arc is bad, it's just the weakest. The PS2 game is based on the 5th story arc and is pretty crazy/awesome/amazing with great cameos.

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long did the anime go for? i think i only saw like 8 or 10 episodes but i really loved them

maybe i should get the manga now but manga takes up so much sppaaaacceeee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't really get into the anime because it's not part of the main story line. It's kind of in the future. The only way to get the manga for anything but the first half of the third story arc is downloading fan translations. The first two story arcs are BEAUTIFULLY treated and translated (though I can't vouch for accuracy, though supposedly it is quite accurate). The online reader for all of them is HERE. You can probably easily find them in a downloadable fashion, though I don't know where anymore.

digi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the first two arcs are amazzzzing in this kind of Indiana Jones-ish style of modern mythos and romance. It's like what if The Shaw Brothers had crossed From Dusk till' Dawn with The Temple of Doom or something.

I agree with you, Shaper, on the third arc. Dio's got that ZA WORLDO rad thing and I guess 'stands' are a pretty good idea but all it amounts to is another gimmick twist to create another tournament-style fighting [game]comic.
Cossix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to dig up a Dreamcast for the past few months now so I can play Cannon Spike again because I remember it being a fun game but I'm not sure if it really is or not.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got Arthur from Ghouls and Ghosts in it! That's all I know about that game. Does his armour suit fall off when he gets hit, leaving him running around in his pants? If not I don't wanna know.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid not - his character design was completely redone, and he's pretty much unrecognizable in-game.
Hospital Zone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
I'm afraid not - his character design was completely redone, and he's pretty much unrecognizable in-game.

I think you might get to see him parachuting from the sky in his boxers if you beat the game with him. If I remember correctly, all the characters have a few still shots after you finish a run. One screen hardly makes up for his giant robot-like suit though.

I found it odd how Capcom left most of the other characters intact, but messed with Arthur's look so much. Sure, they hadn't done much with the G&G games for a while, but they were hardly obscure enough to warrant that. A big part of Arthur's charm is dishing out pain in nothing but his underwear.

Cannon Spike is fun times though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: