The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dhex
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's interesting to say the least.

hey did you get dark messiah ok?

unrelated:
i have a pet peeve about the way people speak of pre-european america, like it was some kind of weird hippy forest land populated by angels. it's intensely - if unintentionally - racist (it fits into the whole noble savage stereotype and the white man's burden like a snug glove) and manages to inadvertantly dehumanize what were human beings.

the thought pattern (if it be such, and i don't think it is, actually) it's like if they had empires, warfare, slavery, rape and everything else (like art and language) somehow massive murder and destruction isn't a terrible crime. the aztecs and the incans were hoisted by their own petards (the first a legacy of intensely brutal empire building, the second by dynastic politics and de facto civil war) in one sense; but i don't see what that has to do with what happened afterwards. what happened afterwards was horrible because massive population and cultural shifts by brutal force is a horrible fucking thing. a tradition of human sacrifice and cannibalism neither mitigates nor excuses what happened afterwards.

this attitude is indeed ignorant (i would use the term "fucking insane" myself) but it does remind me of something a somewhat crazy man told me long ago when arguing with a (left wing) third party about slavery and its role in various cultures, including africa and the americas. he said something along the lines of "you'd be surprised how many people act as if the primary problem with slavery is that some people were making money off of it."

he was right.

dick.

i've had variations on that conversation a few times now; i don't get how saying "but it was cultural" makes the sub-saharan or arab slave trades less slave-like (much less how one ignores the profit motive on the part of traders) or - and this is what i presume motivates them - how it means dick about the sheer criminality and tragedy of the atlantic slave trade. nor does it make all kinds of slave trades exactly alike - pre-colombian american people had their own forms of slavery, many of which were lifetime dehumanizations and desocializations of whole bloodlines, moving across generations. so what? that's what being a human being meant for most of human history.

again, it taps back into that whole idea that if people aren't people - i.e. they're angels - then crimes against them are like crimes against infants.

it makes for a shallow understanding of history, to say the least.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oew-doherty17jan17,0,7220617.story?coll=la-opinion-center
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apropos of nothing: i'd forgotten what a tremendous douchebag justin raimondo was. thanks, lew rockwell, for reminding me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
it's interesting to say the least.

unrelated:
i have a pet peeve about the way people speak of pre-european america, like it was some kind of weird hippy forest land populated by angels. it's intensely - if unintentionally - racist (it fits into the whole noble savage stereotype and the white man's burden like a snug glove) and manages to inadvertantly dehumanize what were human beings.

the thought pattern (if it be such, and i don't think it is, actually) it's like if they had empires, warfare, slavery, rape and everything else (like art and language) somehow massive murder and destruction isn't a terrible crime. the aztecs and the incans were hoisted by their own petards (the first a legacy of intensely brutal empire building, the second by dynastic politics and de facto civil war) in one sense; but i don't see what that has to do with what happened afterwards. what happened afterwards was horrible because massive population and cultural shifts by brutal force is a horrible fucking thing. a tradition of human sacrifice and cannibalism neither mitigates nor excuses what happened afterwards.

this attitude is indeed ignorant (i would use the term "fucking insane" myself) but it does remind me of something a somewhat crazy man told me long ago when arguing with a (left wing) third party about slavery and its role in various cultures, including africa and the americas. he said something along the lines of "you'd be surprised how many people act as if the primary problem with slavery is that some people were making money off of it."

he was right.

dick.

i've had variations on that conversation a few times now; i don't get how saying "but it was cultural" makes the sub-saharan or arab slave trades less slave-like (much less how one ignores the profit motive on the part of traders) or - and this is what i presume motivates them - how it means dick about the sheer criminality and tragedy of the atlantic slave trade. nor does it make all kinds of slave trades exactly alike - pre-colombian american people had their own forms of slavery, many of which were lifetime dehumanizations and desocializations of whole bloodlines, moving across generations. so what? that's what being a human being meant for most of human history.

again, it taps back into that whole idea that if people aren't people - i.e. they're angels - then crimes against them are like crimes against infants.

it makes for a shallow understanding of history, to say the least.

This is why Ishmael is one of the worst books I've ever read. Well, this and that the structure is nothing but the author directly feeding political rants with no significant narrative.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i've heard you rip on this book before. i always thought it was a moby dick esque literary fanfiction thing a la the wind done gone.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

is it good?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i think i've heard you rip on this book before. i always thought it was a moby dick esque literary fanfiction thing a la the wind done gone.

man, keep that dream alive. no, it is a book about a talking ape who spouts out garbage to make liberals feel better about their horribly misconceived world view. a girl i knew once told me it was her favorite book. I died a little inside.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was responsible for a fairly brilliant music video, though.

Also, sorry I get back to this late, dhex, but did you figure out how to open the cbr file of Pax Romana I linked you to a while back? I recall you getting The New Adventures of Hitler to work, so it shouldn't be any different. The other alternative, if CDisplay or the like doesn't seem to work, is to unzip it like any other compressed file and get the images within.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
dhex wrote:

man, keep that dream alive. no, it is a book about a talking ape who spouts out garbage to make liberals feel better about their horribly misconceived world view. a girl i knew once told me it was her favorite book. I died a little inside.

Yeah. Mix the worst of Malthusian economics with the worst of Native American glorification, spread over a couple hundred pages, and you have the whole of Ishmael. No plot, no nothin' else.

It was also sort-of the basis for that movie Instinct, which at least had some Cuba Gooding Jr. strangling action.

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so like:

"overpopulation will kill us all, except these gentle beadmakers who lived with the land - instead of against it."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
so like:

"overpopulation will kill us all, except these gentle beadmakers who lived with the land - instead of against it."

You watched that video that deci linked, didn't you.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i can't find the link in that post.

let me go look again.

edit: nevermind. zeitgeist?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is it good?

sorry i forgot about this shapes.

dark messiah is the game that convinced me first person swordplay and ball-kicking could be done well.

unfortunately, the rest of the game is trash. it makes oblivion look really, really deep. but the actual fighting is quite fun.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark messiah would have been better if it wasn't so damn linear. and not forcing you to fight all the damn time. playing a stealthy character is pretty pointless.

it's a pretty hilarious game though, it's so slapstick.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the first time i got tossed off a cliff i was pretty impressed.

next 30 times not so much.

unrelated:
this is one of the stories that convinced me to re-up my reason subscription way back when.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as tax season comes upon us (and all of a sudden it seems like everyone is all fuck the state this and fuck the state that for two weeks or so) i like to peep onto mr. snell's blog for hilarious tax prep stories:

http://www.winecommonsewer.com/the_wine_commonsewer/2008/01/how-they-think.html

oh ho ho ho that's rich.

and somewhat related:
http://www.winecommonsewer.com/the_wine_commonsewer/2007/08/a-different-tak.html
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird combinations of people i have encountered:

christian occultists;
gay neo-fascists;
drug using supporters of the war on some drugs;
wiccans;

but one of the plain weirdest is the rare - and i'm not entirely sure it's not fanciful:

pro-choice but anti-breast implants.

weirdness!

i want to meet one in real life because i have *so* many questions.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome with or without context:

Quote:
Jamie Kelly | January 22, 2008, 3:14pm | #
"God, what is your stance on abortion?"

"I try not to stand on abortions. Gets all squishy between my toes."

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another dispatch from radley balko's ongoing series "lose all hope for the future."
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy shit

http://www.police
link.com/discussions
/3/topics/7742?page=2

no trackbacks people no trackbacks

Quote:
obscottw said:

i hope JIMROC and hcgale will read the white paper.

First, I suggest that you try to become a Police Officer to see if you can hack it. Second, do not come into our home, throw shit in our face and tell us it’s ice cream, we don’t appreciate it. Thirdly, this Cato Institute which you are quoting sure as hell gives me the impression it is anti-police and anti-government. And finally, walk a mile in our shoes before you pass judgment. You are here for one reason…to start trouble

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Militarization of the police? what does that mean? more training, better weapons? better tactics? I’m all for that! You say militarization like its a bad thing???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever see the first episode of the Sarah Silverman show?

Cop: "Ma'am, do you know why I'm standing here?"
Silverman: "You made straight C's in high school?"

-seryogin
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differences between law enforcement is strange. I have two friends that are state troopers, and to be a trooper here you have to be accepted, need a college degree, go through 6 months of boot camp/training, and go through constant appraisals. To be a police officer, you just sign up, go through some training, and that's it. To be a sheriff's officer, you sign up and go to a weekend training thing. I believe the latter two require a B or so on a civil service exam.

One now makes about $70,000 a year (average income here is about $36,000), basically watching DVDs in his car off-duty for $40/hr. We all second guess our career choices when we talk to him.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i mean "some of my best friends are cops" and my cousin's a cop, and i fear for their safety sometimes because they are not complete shits.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest single determinant of how well off you will be is not the college you get into, the color of your skin, your gender, or your work ethic; it’s the country listed on your passport.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tonywoodlief.com/archives/001312.html#001312
Quote:
On the Democratic side of things, Obama isn't such a bad guy, if we can get him to renounce terrorism and stop-fathering crack babies, which you didn't hear from the Hillary camp. Clinton, meanwhile, is being perhaps a little too feminine on the campaign trail, what with the cleavage and the crying, though his wife remains the shrill, cast-iron harpy we've all come to loathe and fear. John Edwards is dragging his poor sick wife across the country in a quest to improve health care. He stands on principle against any hedge fund of which he's not a partner. The rest of the Democratic field is a collection of sissies, malcontents, and nutjobs.

On the Republican side, meanwhile, Giuliani is a polygamist. No wait, that's McCain. Sorry, I meant Fred Thompson. Mitt Romney? No, he's a hard-working, family-oriented husband of one wife who stands for everything that made America great, except that he's in a Satanic cult. The one-time darling of the Libertarians, Ron Paul, used to own slaves. Mike Huckabee, meanwhile, seems to drive Peggy Noonan apoplectic, which is reason enough to recommend him. Someone just needs to stop him from channeling Herbert Hoover. The rest of the Republican field is a collection of conspiracy theorists, isolationists, and psychopaths.

As for policy positions, as best I can tell, the Democrats want to give most of the southwest U.S. to Mexico, and invite Muslim terrorists to publicly behead everyone making more than a million dollars a year, except for Steven Spielberg and George Soros. Republicans, meanwhile, want to kick anyone with a Mexican-sounding name out of the U.S., and conquer the entire Middle East so that Halliburton will have work after it kills all the porpoises while drilling for oil off the U.S. coast, which will soon be just east of Kansas City, as a result of the Bush-Reagan-Hitler global warming conspiracy.

Both parties are convinced that government is exceptionally skilled at doing things they want more of, and entirely incompetent when it comes to things they don't like. Every candidate is a candidate for change, using the failed ideas of the past, to create a brave new world for the children.

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome!

my ranking is something like:

ron paul
obama
write in for RAW

protip: root canals aren't as bad as they're made out to be.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To recap, in a matter of months we've gotten the Federal Housing Administration to guarantee up to 100 percent of loans up to $367,000, a federal fiat that adjustable rate mortgages will no longer adjust, and now federal GSE guarantees for mortgages of almost three-quarters of a million dollars. No wonder the mighty brain of Bill Kristol looks at the process and calls it a "win-win." We've nationalized the mortgage industry, surely a great thing of National Greatness.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that there is some implied censure in the decision not to eat meat, or not to eat factory-farmed meat? Well, given that I have concluded that refraining from the purchase factory farmed meat is the ethical thing to for me to do, then it is indeed logically implied that I also think it is the ethical thing for you to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on Chapter 3 of Dark Messiah. I had heard that the game wasn't very good, but I'm enjoying it so far. It feels a lot like Breakdown mixed with PsiOps. How did you like it?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loved the combat and interface. found the fighting kind of fun - especially kicking people!

was very annoyed at the way it progressed by the end, though. a good time, but i also laid out 50 bucks for it, and didn't quite feel it was finished correctly.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some people high school never dies.

i used to pity those people.

but lately it's just pissing me off. i don't care if you were picked on in high school or that society looks down on "nerds" - big fucking whoopty do dah. grow a fucking pair, or maybe thing about what it was about you that made you such an enjoyable target in the first place.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
New York's Most Critical Couple Savages Another Musical Event

Woman, about Hairspray: Harold, except for the finale number, I thought it wasn't anything special. All the screaming and the jumping and the music...
Man: You're right, Doris.
Woman: You know what was the golden era of the Broadway? The really good shows, Harold?
Man: What were they, Doris?
Woman: The Cats, The Les Mis, The Phantoms... That was the zenith, Harold. This one -- I don't know what it is.
Man: Me neither, Doris. Me neither.

--52nd St

Overheard by: izzy

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, steam weirdness. i uinstalled an entry marked "peggle extreme" from windows and it nuked my whole client. man i wanted to play some bioshock today. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicals are overall cynical shit. Honestly, Les Misérables? Thanks for raping a classic, jerks.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so long as i don't have to sit through it they can do whatever they want. i just pretend it doesn't exist and voila! it does not!

in other news, suharto's dead!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be the dumbest conversation ever had in new york city:

Quote:
And Don't Even Get Him Started on Hollywood Squares

Dude: You know what I realized? Everything I need to know or see, I get from Wikipedia, YouTube or Urban Dictionary.
Philosopher: Yes, for they form the triangle of knowledge, first envisioned by the Incas. But once their triangle of knowledge gained too much power, it destroyed their civilization, and that is how one of the great civilizations of old fell.
Dude: ... Damn, man, you always make shit deep.

--Q65A bus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
this may be the dumbest conversation ever had in new york city:

Quote:
And Don't Even Get Him Started on Hollywood Squares

Dude: You know what I realized? Everything I need to know or see, I get from Wikipedia, YouTube or Urban Dictionary.
Philosopher: Yes, for they form the triangle of knowledge, first envisioned by the Incas. But once their triangle of knowledge gained too much power, it destroyed their civilization, and that is how one of the great civilizations of old fell.
Dude: ... Damn, man, you always make shit deep.

--Q65A bus

Were they just being funny?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is possible.

on the other hand, it is also possible they were being serious, sadly.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading this article
http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=12460

i discovered there was a style of architecture known as "brutalism"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture

how cool is that for a name?

of course it just means all the sorts of shit you see on state university campuses (giant concrete blocks) but the term itself is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ugly shit.

I don't totally mind it, though.

Brutalism could be used for the underskin and the bones of a structure, then it could be faced over with marble, interconnected trellises, bas reliefs, etc. Add some classical columns plus trees and shit.

Maybe even embed stones in stucco with contours/frames of brass/bronze girders disguised as logs/planks to make something interesting looking.

The wiki article indicated that Brutalism has variant forms.

I'd extend variant to hybrid.

I like the idea of connecting a bunch of culverts, shipping containers, geodeisics, modular greenhouses, and concrete segments to make a fort (kinda like a moonbase). Then just cover/surround the whole thing with plants, fountains, murals, reflecting pools, skywalks, etc. to make it look pretty, especially if it is further connected to many other structures of similar style.

Definitely click on the shipping container link. It's like smiley-face Lego Brutalism. Smile
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the container home thing is neat as hell.

personally i've always wanted to live in a warehouse on a dead end street. alternately, a dome in the middle of the woods would be cool too. i could buy a lot of white turtlenecks to go with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warehouses are cool in principle except you need to be able to control who lives there. Everybody I know who's lived in a warehouse has eventually ditched it because there are too many freeloaders/mushroom waste/out-right criminals hanging around.

One friend did live in an old cookie factory, which was pretty neat. His loft was part of the old control room, so all the old giant control boards and stuff (with the switches all taken out) were still there.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i would own the whole thing and guard it with dogs and guns.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Brutalism could be used for the underskin and the bones of a structure, then it could be faced over with marble, interconnected trellises, bas reliefs, etc. Add some classical columns plus trees and shit.

D:<

Quote:
of course it just means all the sorts of shit you see on state university campuses (giant concrete blocks) but the term itself is pretty cool.

state university campuses are awesome because you get to see an architect live out his/her dream of being a smaller-scale corbusier. My entire campus is done in red brick and concrete. The heating plant ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmosa_bravo/382966293/ ) has more windows per exposed side than any other building around; my guess is that they wanted to show as much of the beautiful machinery and tubing and scaffolding as they could.

My brother almost lived in a warehouse ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmosa_bravo/382979696/ ) . A real estate broker in LA had made it his personal project to build a community of architects and designers in a warehouse he had bought up, but in the end it fell through because of stupid zoning junk.

That article confirmed long-held suspicions I had about IM Pei (he sucks)

the christian science building in chicago looks pretty cool (from the outside, at least)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that power plant is pretty boffo.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man so fucking weird:
http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/2004/07/28.html#a498
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julian sanchez comes correct once again:
http://juliansanchez.com/notes/archives/2008/01/rogering_the_constitution.php

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish that site had a damn RSS feed. Same for Balko.

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, seriously. it's not that hard to set up.

unrelated:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1001
Quote:
So, griefing: morally equivalent to rape, quite possibly responsible for suppressing a modern-day equivalent to Leonardo da Vinci. However, gentlemen, we’re overlooking an important point: would Hitler have approved?

this may be the only truly lucid comment in the entire thread, including my own. i'm in hot water with a bunch of my more sensitive libertoid friends because i do not equate online interactions and real-world interactions; namely i do not give them the same weight.

of course, none of us do, or someone would have stabbed me by now.

if nothing else second life needs better tools to keep their dreamhouse afloat, or at least more cops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 25 of 48

Jump to: