The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn-based battles, mainly.

I think I got to desert land and then chistmas happened, and I haven't touched it since. It's nice to know I've always got a game to play, though.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boring battles, grinding, battles popping up all over the damn place, fetch quests all over the place, boring dungeons man i'm just not having a good time with this game.

it really made me think though, if i went back to play earthbound, would i still like it as much? it was one of the like... 5 or so jrpgs i actually liked enough to play to the end. that was like... over six years ago? possibly much longer!

i've wanted to play it again because i remember it as one of the greatest games i've ever played, but now i'm thinking perhaps it's better left as a memory.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play earthbound with the rom speed-up toggle bound to R2, so I can skip the battles. It's better.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but what about the cool music i can listen to those jams all day
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing 7th Guest some more, and that thing is damn near impossible without a guide. There's a reason that stupid can puzzle was taken out for the CDi version. I recall Myst being the same way, though, when a friend showed me some underground roller coaster puzzle, way back when.

The last grind RPG I played was Enchanted Arms. I had to seriously go back and run through the last area about a hundred times before I was strong enough to beat all of the forms of the last boss. Had I not been in bed sick, I would've exploded. The last time I did that was with Evolution on the Dreamcast. There's nothing like making steady progress, defeating all minor bosses, and then realizing you can't even knock 10 health points off the final boss with your entire party. The memories ... painful ...
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i remember that stupid fucking can puzzle

is 7th guest the game with the mr death song? becuase i love that song so much almost as much as the you are dead song, infact they could probably take eachother to the prom

look here are lyrics

I CANT GO TO THE DISCO
MR DEATH WILL DANCE ON MY FOOT
I CANT TAKE A BATH
MR DEATH IS WASHING MY BACK

and its sung in this really low low low bumbily voice i cant explain it is that the game i love mr death i want to hear that song agaijn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent Monday mostly playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms X. It's pretty good and interesting, but the big battles are very, very boring if you're not the commander.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they are. This is good incentive to aim for promotions quickly once you gain an understanding of how city economies work, or just start the game as someone higher up on the food chain (also, if you're leading an attack, you should be able to bring a good portion of the other units under your control anyway; there's a combat menu somewhere where you can toggle on/off your subordinates' friendly A.I., which you want to do, because they're complete idiots who will fuck you over on turn 29 when you're one flight of arrows away from a breakthrough).

The other thing to do is suggest building towers and catapults, as these are both great ways to bust up a gate quick and otherwise speed up a slow battle (though again, fuck if the A.I. has any idea what to do with them).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing to play through 'Important' PS2 releases.

I bought Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter the other day for $8, and I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be getting out of it. It's definitely ugly, but beyond that, it doesn't seem all that interesting. The restart system is certainly unique, but the whole experience is so far needlessly convoluted, and mostly boring.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romance of the three kingdoms is one of those series that seems to get more complicated with each release without too much of a jump in quality.

(the first was, believe it or not, quite good)
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
romance of the three kingdoms is one of those series that seems to get more complicated with each release without too much of a jump in quality.

Honestly, it's not all that complicated. I mean, it seems that way, but it's mostly because the tutorials make things out to be more complicated than they actually are. It's honestly very simple.
Mr Mustache wrote:
I bought Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter the other day for $8, and I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be getting out of it. It's definitely ugly, but beyond that, it doesn't seem all that interesting. The restart system is certainly unique, but the whole experience is so far needlessly convoluted, and mostly boring.

Man. I bought the game for like the same price used about 2 or so years ago. I never got around to playing it until just last week or so. The thing is that the interface is so unintuitive and they give you so little information (making you dig through needless menus to get to all the info you need) that it's more a hassle to play than fun. After getting all three main characters I'm still enjoying the combat of it all, but everything else is needlessly complicated. Also, I kind of like the aesthetic they went for in the game. Something like DDS pulls it off a hell of a lot better but in comparison it is a much newer game. After a while I decided that I just can't go back to it because I feel like I NEED two+ hours every time I start it up because of the terribly restrictive save system. It really needed a quick save system that allowed you to stop playing but when you started back up it deletes that save instantly. Also, I agree, I don't see why so many people seem to find this a gem of the PS2. A good roguelike does everything it does and possibly better.

dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Quarter definitely has a quick save/restore.
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragon quarter was one of the only games on my list of ps2 games to try (along with TRAPT). i guess i can just stick with crawl (which is incidentally the only game i have installed on the $3000 gaming laptop my school gave me).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I've been playing 7th Guest some more, and that thing is damn near impossible without a guide. There's a reason that stupid can puzzle was taken out for the CDi version.

What, the thing with no vowels except "Y"? I found that one of the easier ones. Beats the chess puzzles! There are only so many words you can spell with the given materials.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fondly remember playing The 7th Guest with my dad. I remember when I solved a puzzle before he figured it out and he didn't believe that I figured it out myself, LOL. We had the 11th Hour too, but never really played that one too much. But yeah, fun games! Kinda!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shit, I guess I'll give it a bit longer, but I'm not too hopeful. It's a bit of a shock after Shadow of the Colossus.

At the very least I'm fairly certain I'll be able to unload it at selectbutton once I'm done.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that's the one. It has something about Crypt and Gypsies. The audio is weird on the Windows patch, so I can hardly hear the voices over the music, and I didn't get any hints for the puzzle, other than the video of the woman saying "I got it! Oh, that's not right." It would help if it made any kind of sense. I also didn't do the chess puzzle until after I did the cellar maze, so I was completely lost. Thank you, GameFaqs. Then you get the cake puzzle that is solved just by going with what the icon shows as selectable.

I really wish there was a way to tweak it more. This is the DOS version, so the video is really choppy and audio out of sync without the Windows patch, and the patch tends to crash as well as cause the aforementioned audio issues. Still, I'm having a good time with it. I do like how it is all integrated - it still holds up well.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite part of that game is that painting at the top of the stairs, with the hands pushing behind it. IT LOOKED SO AWESOME. I loved all the little animations, even if most of them looked so cheesy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
My favourite part of that game is that painting at the top of the stairs, with the hands pushing behind it. IT LOOKED SO AWESOME. I loved all the little animations, even if most of them looked so cheesy.

Same for me. I think they are more endearing now that they are older. They have a bit of charm to them that I can't get enough of. I particularly enjoyed the scene of the screenshot, where the guy is in the game room and you then go into the table pocket.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I use to really love Phantasmagoria. I've played it a half dozen times at least, though I hardly remember any of it. I never knew there was a sequel to the game until like 3 years ago though.

Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Quarter starts off a bit funky but it gets good. Once you get to some of the tougher bosses and realize how much it can kill your dragon % it's really threatening. Especially toward the end when there are bunches of them in a row. (My first time I think I beat the game with 99.7% on the meter, gah!) It's not supposed to be a roguelike. The game and the enemies are the same every time. It's about learning what monsters you can deal with and when, taking risks and learning tricks to get good treasures early, and trying not to screw yourself over completely. Roguelikes are randomized for a reason, and BOF:DQ is the same every time for a reason.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
boring battles, grinding, battles popping up all over the damn place,

while the game has fetch quests aplenty, and the dungeons can be hit or miss, I didn't find myself agreeing with any of these in my time with the game (up to the haunted mansion, which I realize is one of the best parts apparently?).

I mean, the battles are simple and efficient, unlike many JRPG battles...I don't remember any grinding, due to the EXP system....and I'm not sure what you mean by battles popping up all over the place? You mean ones that happen in the course of the story?
Lasa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, No More Heroes is pretty awesome.
bleak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell us a little about it!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-A-I-S wrote:
Cycle wrote:
boring battles, grinding, battles popping up all over the damn place,

while the game has fetch quests aplenty, and the dungeons can be hit or miss, I didn't find myself agreeing with any of these in my time with the game (up to the haunted mansion, which I realize is one of the best parts apparently?).

I mean, the battles are simple and efficient, unlike many JRPG battles...I don't remember any grinding, due to the EXP system....and I'm not sure what you mean by battles popping up all over the place? You mean ones that happen in the course of the story?

Simple and efficient, but still tedious. I appreciate the timing aspect which makes them more interesting, but it's still built upon the traditional jrpg mechanics which I just can't enjoy. Others can, sure, but I can't. Just me I guess. And also, I found myself getting into fights constantly. Avoiding them was pointless since it meant I'd have to grind up to beat some boss later in the game. I really lack any motivation to keep playing. I mean, I've already spent like 5-8 hours on it, so yeah.

In other news, Undertow is still pretty crap even when it's free. Wish they just gave us points.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a shitload of Picross lately. I've cleared all of the normal puzzles and unlocked all of the free mode ones. I figure it might be a week or two before I completely finish it.

But that's not why I'm here. I'm here to discuss Red Star. I've had it since it came out, but never got around to playing it until last night, and HOLY SHIT IS IT AMAZING. Seriously. It's like a giant smorgasboard of everything I specifically want in a game all mixed up into one.

For those not "in the know" Red Star was an Xbox and PS2 game that was going to be Acclaim's first good game, but then they went under and it never got published. Eventually, like, two years later, XS games picked it up, but only the PS2 version.

It's a 3D overhead mostly non-score-based shooter that's not too hard, not too easy, has levels that are comprised of long hallways full of interesting scripted events and a variety of enemy patterns. Enemies can be locked onto and shot while you're moving or attacked using melee weapons. There are moments when it feels like a beat 'em up, moments when it feels like a bullet hell shooter, and moments when it feels like a gauntlet-style adventure game. It's also level-based and seems to be really long.

So yeah, I'm totally and unexpectedly digging the crap out of it. Why didn't anyone tell me Red Star was so awesome?

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasa wrote:

After my infatuation with Burnout: Paradise subsides, that is what I'll be playing next. I'm looking forward to it.

But, oh my god. Burnout: Paradise is amazing. It takes everything I loved about 3 and 4 and gives you something almost completely different. I'm a little obsessed at the moment.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure 7th Guest / 11th Hour runs reasonably well under DOSBox, though after attempting to play it I'm not really sure why anyone would want to.

HOLY SHIT ROCK BAND FUCK YES, though.
Lasa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
tell us a little about it!

Sure!

The combat is immensely satisfying and plays like a much more streamlined and forgiving Godhand. The open world aspect of it is just there and features almost no interactivity, all you can do in it is ride your bike around and kick open dumpsters. The bosses are delightful. The music is really damn good.
More coherent thoughts to come later.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

There are some issues with Red Star. The upgrade system is terrible, and really offers little to no guidance on what is useful until you have already bought it and figured out that it sucks. I think there were a few other issues, but it has been awhile since I played it.

Still, it was a really fun game, defintely.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasa wrote:

I was just going to post the same thing but you stole my thunder. I agree that the combat is very satisfying. It's like button combos, then tossing the wiimote, then going at it again. Greatest use of the wiimote happens the first time you get a phone call.

Bonus points for the game being hilarious. Lots of videogame and general nerd pop-culture references. Most of the design is reminiscent of older/arcade style videogames, and "gamers" are mentioned a few times mostly that they get a bad rap. The best part is that Travis is one of these "gamers" and he's pretty mentally divergent. Add to that he's a huge perv. It's all tongue-in-cheek, but it's really interesting brain fodder.

Anyways, there is one pretty big disappointment for me: the motorcycle. It controls like shit, and a lot of the overworld seems needless. It's a small price to pay for everything else being so awesome though.

kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stop playing Earth Defense Force 2017.
Working may way up 2 player w/ a buddy at his place, and then catching up on 1 player at home.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
Wes,

There are some issues with Red Star. The upgrade system is terrible, and really offers little to no guidance on what is useful until you have already bought it and figured out that it sucks. I think there were a few other issues, but it has been awhile since I played it.

Still, it was a really fun game, defintely.

Yeah, I know what you're saying about the upgrade system, but that's such a small thing and really the only things that go totally without explanation are new weapons.

The only thing I can see hurting the game at this point is if they just kind of give up mid-way and do away with the constantly semi-clever gimmicks. I really liked how they have bombs that fall from the sky which you can only avoid because they're reflected in the ice below your feet and lasers that only shoot after the aiming site has been on the screen for a few seconds.

The scene where you kill a giant tank, causing it to explode and break through the ice leaving your characters in the sewer is awesome too. For some reason, gimmicky stuff like this is what I consider the ultimate form of storytelling in games. Your pre-scripted actions give context to the world rather than having a story that tries to give context to your actions. It's a minor thing that I think I appreciate more than most, but it's one of the things that, when done well, makes me froth.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does/Has anyone played EVE Online? With the very long Steam demo that's either available or soon to be available I figured I might check it out, but was wondering if anyone else had any input on what to expect from the game. I mean, it doesn't seem like an evercrack/woW clone, so I was kind of interested.

helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I really liked how they have bombs that fall from the sky which you can only avoid because they're reflected in the ice below your feet

The best dungeon in Twilight Princess uses this idea as well.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys the no more heros mini map is all pixelated and looks great

also your life meter is a pixelated heart

also every time you beat a boss you get awesome videogamey stuff i dont want to spoil it

also theres a wonderful slot machine every time you kill an enemy and if you win you get MEGA BONUS i wont tell what they are you have to see for yourself

also i collected coconuts in a minigame

also this game is SO PUNK ROCK I LOVE HEARING TRAVIS RAMBLE
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punk rock more like punk cock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Does/Has anyone played EVE Online? With the very long Steam demo that's either available or soon to be available I figured I might check it out, but was wondering if anyone else had any input on what to expect from the game. I mean, it doesn't seem like an evercrack/woW clone, so I was kind of interested.

My friend was really, really into EVE for a few years, to the point where he had someone from his corporation stay with him whenever they visited the U.S. The game seemed to be 99% mining and 1% traveling and fighting. My girlfriend's old roommate was seriously into World of Warcraft, and when I would watch her play she tended to be doing stuff - fighting, planning, stuff like that. When I watched him play, he just sat there, mining. I told him about all of the stories online about it and he kind of laughed, because he was aware of just how long it takes to get to the point to where you can do anything exciting. And that's the thing, it seems more exciting than it is. The engine has held up well and it's still pretty, with large ships and cool environments, but it is really rough on new players.

I would say it depends on how long the demo is, really. I would look forward to routine mining runs, staying within safe space, and falling asleep with your eyes open. Then again, it did keep him addicted for a very long time and when you get going, you can get some really cool stuff, it's just getting to that point is a pain - not a Korean MMO kind of pain, but certainly more so than a Warcraft or Tabula Rasa.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Anyways, there is one pretty big disappointment for me: the motorcycle. It controls like shit, and a lot of the overworld seems needless. It's a small price to pay for everything else being so awesome though.

Two things about the overworld. Drift Turning makes driving a lot less of a pain in the ass. Hold down A, press B and jerk the Wii-mote in the opposite direction from where you want to turn, and rock it out. Second thing, dumpsters are so awesome. I love finding free t-shirts in garbage.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixel Junk Monsters came out today. It's only $7.99! It's awesome, but incredibly hard!

-Wes
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shenmue 2 is totally awesome and very manly!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of, I found my Australian import for the Dreamcast the other day. I had to throw out the cover box due to a hamster urinating on it years back. Damn hamster. I don't mean that - it was awesome (word of the day!). The movie of the first with the Xbox version was something I didn't expect but found pretty cool.

I've been trying to play Arcanum, but the animations are distractingly fast and the fact that I can't be a gentleman warrior mage is frustrating. Don't look all badass with your handlebar mustache and offer me guns and fireballs and don't let me be rad in both!

I also downloaded Ultima IV, the graphic pack, and xu4, but I didn't get to play it for too long. I like to think that I'll eventually go through IV on.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shemue series is for girls cycle and you know it, all thje drama, all the dramatic pauses, and all teh pointless toy collecting, made so boyfriends can buy their girlfriends a videogame and hopefully they'll play it

and i love it
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daph i am in touch with my femine side alright, chicks dig it.

anyway i like how laidback this game is, it's just the game i was looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
daph i am in touch with my femine side alright, chicks dig it.

So do blokes.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha BURN
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rero are you getting fresh with me
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey people can call eachother gay without saying youre gay this is so clever

okay i just played i wanna be the guy and i have shit dexterity and instead of dying all the time i watched some playthrough videos

the guy who made this game loves videogames and i love them but man asshole mario hard? does dess play this this seems like a dess game

argh its hard
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just playing SPACE HARRIER one of the best arcade games EVER on my 360, so you can all eat it.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love playing that on shenmue as well
did ou know cossix didnt even KNOW you could play it AT HOME in the game??? gosh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 55 of 85

Jump to: