The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Magazine Graphic Novels list thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I stopped reading every day.

I only read achewood in really large chunks. Like I'll read 3 months worth in one sitting. That way I usually chuckle or laugh at least once and I don't forget little details that carry over as much. It also builds a better relationship between me and the characters so I tend to find things funny that I probably wouldn't just reading it by itself. It works pretty well this way. But yeah, it's not the greatest thing ever written, just something that's good for killing an afternoon once in a while.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By coincidence, just yesterday I started reading the Schulz biography that's making the rounds.

Its interspersed with strips. One things striking about them is: a lot really don't have a gag, sometimes barely even a point. I think THAT'S something very few cartoonists could get away with now, at least on such a big stage.

Re: Waterson. My favorite quote:
Quote:
Q: What led you to resist merchandising Calvin and Hobbes?
A: For starters, I clearly miscalculated how popular it would be to show Calvin urinating on a Ford logo. . . .

For me the finest C+H, and in some ways most representative, is that one where Calvin enters a bizarre, Picasso-esque non-Euclidean wacky-perspective world after an argument with his father where he starts to see his dad's PoV. I can't think of any other strips that could really pull that off; I'd say xkcd lacks the "known personality" needed for the closer.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench wrote:

Quote:
they're a pop band who just happens to know Yamataka Eye

UH. Are you serious? Pop? I can agree they're not "super experimental rofls" but they're certainly not pop. If anything they uncannily sound like krautrock ("be sure to loop," i'm looking in your direction) or just ambient sometimes. And sometimes, they do sound like noise pop. I wouldn't say straight "pop" by any means.

Yeah I guess my definition of pop is broader than yours. I don't use it disparagingly, I like pop music.

Shapermc wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
I stopped reading every day.

I only read achewood in really large chunks. Like I'll read 3 months worth in one sitting. That way I usually chuckle or laugh at least once and I don't forget little details that carry over as much. It also builds a better relationship between me and the characters so I tend to find things funny that I probably wouldn't just reading it by itself. It works pretty well this way. But yeah, it's not the greatest thing ever written, just something that's good for killing an afternoon once in a while.

I did go though a phase of loving it, though! Achewood is pretty amazing when it wants to be. I guess I just found it unsatisfactory to read in drips and drabs. It's steak and chips rather than m+ms.
aderack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there something I should read to understand what the deal is with Peanuts? All I ever saw was the Sunday strip in the '80s and '90s, and... there was nothing there.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah im with aderack thats all ive seen and it was terrible

are you people saying theres MORE to peanuts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

I'm trying to find the essay Umberto Eco wrote on Peanuts which prefaced the Italian edition, but all I can find is a load of quotes, like 'These children are the monstrous, infantile reductions of all the neuroses of a modern citizen of the industrial civilisation.' He's not reviewing it as the by-product of a sick society, either, it's a genuine appraisal of the strip. He compares it to long-form epic poetry like the Iliad amongst other things. ''If poetry means producing from everyday events, which we are accustomed to identify with the surface of things, a revelation that causes us to touch the depth of things, then, every so often, Charles Schulz is a poet.”

Look, just read a whole lot in one go, you'll start to get a feel for the tone and pace that's unique to the strip. Don't worry if you don't always laugh, or don't laugh at all, it's kind of unimportant.

Oh yeah, and there's this, too. I don't know if there's any Chris Ware fans here, but here's his tribute to Peanuts:
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol nerd.

In all seriousness, I bought a bunch of Snoopy books, and one contains lots of early stuff.

Yeah, his early stuff wasn't too great... it was pretty much KIDS SAY THE DARNDEST THINGS in comic book form, and snoopy wasn't much different. Pretty much just making fun of the wacky things dogs do and what they probably think.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, but what else is great is:

also

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: