The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone recommend a good...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Can anyone recommend a good... Reply with quote

PS2 arcade stick that is simple to find and won't cost more than $50.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... AGP video card for less than $100.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agp really limits your options:

7600gt for 115
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good... Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:

You might... might be able to run across a Pelican Real Arcade stick that a store still has in stock for one reason or another. I ran across one within the last year. The parts aren't AMAZING, but they're usable and if you want to put in a new stick or buttons later on it's exceptionally simple and fairly cheap.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
agp really limits your options:

7600gt for 115

$95 with the mail-in rebate. Purchased! Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price will go up, but who knows, you might get lucky.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
The price will go up, but who knows, you might get lucky.

That's the cream of the crop right there.

seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-77-6-49-en-15-hori+stick-70-10up.html

I saw a stack of these in an import store today. It was the only PS2 stick they have in stock. The problem is the price; $120 is what I paid for my DS.

I'm no expert in this stuff... how much do Hori sticks usually go for?

I also saw an opened slime controller sitting around. Seeing it in person, I really can't believe how cute it really is.

Also: the store had an amazing selection at mostly decent, play-asia prices. For the most part, anyway, I saw Riviera there for $60 and I'm going to ask you guys if you think it's worth that.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
I saw a stack of these in an import store today. It was the only PS2 stick they have in stock. The problem is the price; $120 is what I paid for my DS.

They're good, but only about $80 good. They're the top quality sticks and will work exceptionally well w/o modification, and are easy to fix with Japanese arcade parts if anything goes wrong down the road. $120 is price gouging for both rarity and size (stocking purposes: they take up a lot of room). If they really have a stack of them ask to talk to the owner and offer $80 for one, "after doing some research" kind of thing.

Quote:
I also saw an opened slime controller sitting around. Seeing it in person, I really can't believe how cute it really is.

Now you see why I can't open mine. If it was a blue one they're also nice and soft as far as those things go. Not like a plush toy or anything, but firm and soft... yeah.

Quote:
I saw Riviera there for $60 and I'm going to ask you guys if you think it's worth that.

No. I mean, it's a nice game, especially for a portable RPG, but used I wouldn't go much over $20 and new $30-40. I mean, it just got re-released on the PSP, so the game is not really a rarity, it's just uncommon. It sounds like niche gamer gouging to me.

JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $20 for Riviera, and it sells on ebay for less than that. This uh, store doesn't sound too great. Shaper's suggestion to try to talk down the price of the Real Arcade Pro is a good one, though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
I paid $20 for Riviera, and it sells on ebay for less than that.

Well something like 95% of GBA games on ebay are bootlegs, so I never really use ebay to gauge that stuff.

Six

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this seems like a good place to ask if there are still any good places to find a gamecube hori pad.

this guy looks like a good alternative, in any event.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hori pads for the GC are long dead and gone. I wish (much like my Saturn PS2 pad) that I had bought a back up just in case.

sharc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

six wrote:
this seems like a good place to ask if there are still any good places to find a gamecube hori pad.

there are no quick and easy ways to get one unless you find someone trading/selling on a forum. but if you are feeling patient you can do what i did. set up a string on ebay to search and mail you results for: hori (pad,control*,digital) (gc,gamecube,"game cube") and then wait as long as it takes for one to come along with a decent buy it now, or that idiots don't swarm all over like wasps and drive the price up to forty dollars on day two of six.

in the meantime, check your stores. you can find some surprising stuff for the gamecube in most stores because people generally don't attribute any value to the system and will trade in ridiculously expensive stuff like component cables, modems and even hori pads without thinking twice about it.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that Riviera was a sealed copy.

In the meantime, I asked about Berserk PS2 and the dude told me that it was super rare, as in worth over $100+ and that the only one he had was the dreamcast one.

I checked on ebay and it's worth about $40 when it's coming out of Jay-pan. Is it really that rare?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy sounds like he's trying to rip you off.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the store does have a reputation for jacking up prices. Though I will say that if you know what you're doing -- checked things out online -- before coming there, then you'll be fine and even find rare things for a decent price.

Still, I would like to find that game without having to deal with the ebay headache.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
The hori pads for the GC are long dead and gone.

There's a place just down the road from me that sells them. Website says they're out of stock now but I'll keep track for people.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Worm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Tekken anniversary hori stick with the Tekken Collector Case, and the guy included all the game but 2 or 4 I think. I paid sixty bucks for that. Thanks Ebay!

Is there any good converter for the 360? Or am I better off buying a new Hori for the 360?

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a decent little pixel art tool besides Graphics Gale? Ever since I put support for japanese characters on my machine it defaults into Japanese menus and I don't know how to change it to English.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
This guy sounds like he's trying to rip you off.

Yeah, that store sounds like it's having a hard time selling stuff so they need to keep the prices constantly jacked up. The PS2 Berserk game ran me about $50 shipped when it was still a bit more rare. More people are dropping it now and it can be had for that or less. Anyways, that guy probably knows what's mildly popular and has it at a price that kids will come in and look at it but not have enough and just buy some of his regular stock.

It's a rip-off, don't get sucked into it.

Worm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare video game shit is the new rare comic shit, look how much copies of Persona 3 are going for, for fucks sake.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
Persona 3 are going for, for fucks sake.

Wait... what? How'd this happen? The game is pretty much new still!

Worm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish I was more interested when Disgaea was coming out because there's a pretty interesting trend that happens when Atlus games sell out in stores.

Disgaea sold out, became super rare, some things unknown to me occur which result in it being resold at full price. I could swear somewhere a "third party" who was repressing rez (another game that sold online for obscene amounts) started reselling it and rez at full price. There's another article about Atlus selling Disgaea against (for full press I guess) in 2004 before it goes back into the vault.

I feel the issue with Persona 3 is that people who bought themselves an HDTV with reselling Disgaea saw Persona 3 with it's artbook and music CD dwindling in stock, and took it upon themselves to begin throwing it up on ebay as "RARE COLLECTORS EDITION L@@K". Since I can only imagine Atlus fans response to the Disgaea shortage only encouraged this kind of behavior.

As for Atlus, it seems petty to go through so much work to avoid repressing a "Greatest Hits" version of the game. Maybe their American operation consists of a liquidation approach, maybe extra inventory scares the fucking SHIT OUT OF THEM. I really don't know. It's very confusing, but I think the issue is mainly that Persona 3 isn't rare, it looks rare, and it comes from a company that released another game that sold for huge amounts of cash for a period of time.

boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing about Disgaea is that it went for a ton of money for awhile, then Atlus reprinted it, and it was actually cheap for a bit of time. The reprint eventually ran out, but it isn't too hard to find a copy of it now. It really is the only N1 game I have liked, but I guess I will try the second one out since I own a PS3 and all, and having another game for it might be nice.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
I could swear somewhere a "third party" who was repressing rez (another game that sold online for obscene amounts) started reselling it and rez at full price.

There was a third party who picked up "new" publishing rights for both Rez and Disgaea and started selling them at full price about 2-3 years after their initial release. I can't remember what their name was though. I do remember that when they started doing this, there was a great hue and cry from the videogame collectors about how this was ruining their investments.

There was a lot of speculation that they were going to move on to other games that were out-of-print/hard to find, with Panzer Dragoon Saga being the most notable mention; then they pretty much fell completely off the map.

Last edited by Scratchmonkey on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought my copy of rez from that company. i do not remember what the name was though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's GameQuestDirect, which is an online retailer rather than an actual publisher.

Here's an Ars Technica story on it.
Worm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
I do remember that when they started doing this, there was a great hue and cry from the videogame collectors about how this was ruining their investments.

Alright, I remember that too, we're all on the same page. I remember thinking they had something to do with Atlus, but I guess that's pretty much debunked. The thing with Persona 3 is just baffling, it's almost like price fixing by every individual reseller on the Internet.

Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

There's a place just down the road from me that sells them. Website says they're out of stock now but I'll keep track for people.

I would absolutely LOVE if you could get 1 or 2 of them controllers! How much does the guy sell them for?
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good... Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:

like these?

(subversively trying to fund more CanadianEd translations in this thread)
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
Swimmy wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

I would absolutely LOVE if you could get 1 or 2 of them controllers! How much does the guy sell them for?

Cheap!

I'll check tomorrow if there are any in-store. I think the website keeps track of what's in the warehouse, I could be wrong.

-seryogin
Six

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharc wrote:
six wrote:

there are no quick and easy ways to get one unless you find someone trading/selling on a forum. but if you are feeling patient you can do what i did. set up a string on ebay to search and mail you results for: hori (pad,control*,digital) (gc,gamecube,"game cube") and then wait as long as it takes for one to come along with a decent buy it now, or that idiots don't swarm all over like wasps and drive the price up to forty dollars on day two of six.

this is sound advice!

on the other hand, i've had a search set up for a bung game boy flashcart that's been active for at least a year and a half, and there's been nary a nibble.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need the linker too, or just the flashcart? Because I've got a spare 4M cart that I have no earthly use for.
Six

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, seriously? i will email you regarding this.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Pijaibros wrote:
Swimmy wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

Cheap!

I'll check tomorrow if there are any in-store. I think the website keeps track of what's in the warehouse, I could be wrong.

Doh!

I think these were the last guys I saw who had them abotu 2 years ago. Ever since then I've not regretted not buying one.

I kept thinking they would get a black one back in stock. Shoulda just bought an urple one.

If you live close to one though. I would totally love if you managed to score a pad.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention I checked, and. . . the place closed down in the last few weeks, which is why they were so cheap. They still have a warehouse open in another part of town, but I've had trouble finding it. The site no longer says "out of stock," so I'll give it another go soon.

-seryogin
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a decent Mac emulator that will run under Vista? Cliff Johnson's puzzle games are available as freeware but only the mac version ;_;

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know nothin' 'bout Vista compatibility, but AFAIK the best 68k Mac emulator around is Basilisk II and the best PowerPC Mac emulator around is SheepShaver. The 68k is a lot easier to emulate, and Cliff Johnson's is written for the 68k, so you're probably best off with Basilisk. (It's what Ye Olde Underdogs recommends.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: