The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Embarassing videogame-related childhood artifacts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Embarassing videogame-related childhood artifacts Reply with quote

I know you guys didn't just play games growing up. No, I'll bet you guys drew terrible fanart, made up little "game designs" -- maybe even wrote videogame-related songs. (My magnum opus was called "Laughing In The Face Of Killer Little Goombas", in reference to a Far Side cartoon. The words have unfortunately been lost, but I still remember bits of the tune.) Perhaps you even wrote some of your own games, in something like QBasic. (I've had a couple of mine up for download for a number of years now -- apologies if the hyperbolic writing style of my younger, dumber self grates.)

Today I dug out a small booklet of sorts, titled "Jer's Game Ideas", with the hand-drawn cover featuring a cross-eyed man with his finger up his nose, and a thought bubble over his head with a burnt-out lightbulb inside. Inside are two game design treatments, printed out on a dot-matrix printer, with small B+W "title screens" done in some paint program or other. Allow me to share these well-thought-out ideas with you. (All spelling mistakes preserved.)

The Psycopathic Dentist wrote:
Character:
The Psychopathic Dentist-has a drill with a scope and laser beam.

Story:
It's a full moon. Your last patient. You feel transformation pulsing through you.....
The next thing you know you're charged with murder and you've got a price on your head--and believe me, it's not a small one. But you're still in your transformed state!! You have until sunrise, then you're back to normal--and the police will definitely catch you!! You're outrunning them in planes, trains, and automobiles, not to mention horses, yaks, and donkeys!! Whatever you can get your hands on!! And police aren't skimpy with the backup. If you get to The City, you can get the snot aliens to take you to their home planet. The rest is saved for the sequel!

SUCK IT GTA I CAME UP WITH IT FIRST BUT WITH YAKS
Wait, "snot aliens"? Oh, I must be referring to
Snot City wrote:
Main idea for characters: You start off with the worst character and work your way to the best as levels progress.

Characters from worst to best:
Moe-is a bald jerk that spreads his toast with rotten oinions
Larry-doesn't know a tie from a shoe
Slimy-wears vasoline in his hair
Harry-is an Elvis impersinator
Stinky-is strong enough to smell his own shoes and live
Curly-is the smartest one of the group

Weapons for characters:

Moe-his breath. Reach: 1/8 across the screen
Larry-a tie. Reach: 1/4 across the screen
Slimy-vasoline from his hair. Reach: 1/2 across the screen
Harry-guitar riffs. Reach: 3/4 across the screen
Stinky-his shoes. Reach: right across the screen.
Curly-starts with boomerang. Can build more devistating weapons. All reach right across the screen.

Story:
Aliens have come to The City. They have snot guns that fire snot. They're trying to take over The City by covering it with snot. Only you six guys can save The City. We're doomed. The aliens will stun you with their snot guns. But each time you're stunned, the snot takes a little longer getting off. Three times and you sufficate. You can find snot repellent, which resets your stun count. The aliens have force fields around important things, but there's always a weak spot. The aliens have special skin that will stick to these force fields. If you're not motivated to play, consider this: your city could be snotted next.

I think I may have had help with that one. Naming characters after Stooges doesn't sound like 8-year-old me. I can't possibly blame anyone else for the sentence "They have snot guns that fire snot", though; that's got my name written all over it.

Post your own childhood relics in this thread! If they're lost to the mists of time and failed floppy disks, as so much of mine are, talk about them anyway! I'm interested to see just how crazy I really was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Embarassing videogame-related childhood artifacts Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Naming characters after Stooges doesn't sound like 8-year-old me.

I once thought a game up called Iggy Pop Fights the Zombie Rave From The Grave on the back of my maths homework but I dropped my design document in the dunny whilst I was adding to it whilst whizzing.

I also used to draw portable gaming machines on pieces of cardboard because I never owned a Gameboy. My Fundude™, Fundude II™, Fundude Triplet™ and Fundude XP™ were much cooler anyway since they had games about jetski bankrobbers, ancient Rome and rockers rocking out. Then I did get a Gameboy and went through piles of batteries playing Donkey Kong.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, god. Why did you have to start this thread now, when I have only just rediscovered my old archives?

When I was in 4th or 5th grade, I found a book at the library on BASIC. I was thrilled with the programs the book supplied, but I was more thrilled with the thought of subverting them to tell a story--the story of one lone programmer, and his war against his wayward creations. The programmer's ultimate nemesis was an entity that referred to itself as "Suvir".

. . .

I was probably only 11 or 12. Even with that excuse, looking at the programs now is actually painful, and I find I can't run them for more than a few seconds without cringing and closing the window.

Here they are.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow. Programs that act normal until they think you're their programmer, at which point they go bugfuck. Reading the source code is honestly kind of creepy. Fantastic.

I totally made a handheld game system out of paper once too. I don't remember much about it except that it had the fictional ability to link up to sixteen systems together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, reading your Nostalgia page is bringing back all kinds of memories. Apparently at one point I tried to make a text adventure in QBASIC, although this was before I'd ever played a text adventure, so you can imagine how well THAT worked. One of the rooms contained (sigh) a "Rabid Barney" that you could only pass if you threw a rose at it. There were also signs scattered about written by Jema, that helpful knight character from Secret of Mana.

I'm going to have to look through my archive a bit more, I can just tell. I want to see if I can find that old text-based fighting game I tried to make.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any actual documentation ;_;

But I did program a few game for my TI-86 in High School. I would probably get expelled for it now, but one of them was an RPG style combat game where all the teachers turned into zombies and you had to kill them. I even had some really horrible faux-vector art to go along with the game (ala a FPS Dungeon Hack). Anyways I gave it to all of my friends who gave it to their friends who… yeah, well I got called into the Dean’s office a few weeks later and got enrolled into this really awesome AP computer class about a year before I was supposed to because of it (it was called Multi-Media Studies). So at least something kind of awesome came of it.

The only other thing I did like this was when I was very young (early NES days before the SMB+DuckHunt pack-in when it was just SMB) I would cut out Mario images from magazines and news paper and then build these fake TVs out of graph paper. I would cut out crappy goombas and koopas and paste them onto cardboard which I would then paste onto a popsicle stick. Me and my friends would take turns going through these fake stages I made (some based on real SMB levels from what I played in the arcades) trading off between Mario and the Enemies. It was great fun for a 5 year old.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aliens have come to The City. They have snot guns that fire snot. They're trying to take over The City by covering it with snot.

I don't know why this made me laugh so much but it did.

Anyway:

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i once mapped out an enormous imaginary cadash-a-like in a ruled organizer.

i also made a few qbasic games, despite only knowing how to print typographical characters, pause for a single second, and accept typed input with a carriage return.

i also used to take empty jukeboxes, cut windows in them, and put two pencils in them with a scroll of paper draped across them. by turning the pencils, the paper would scroll through the window and create these scrolly comic book things.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's clever. I might do that one day soon. What does 'jukeboxes' mean where you come from? Presumably you're not talking about remaindered Wurlitzers.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, i totally meant to type "juice boxes".
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.

When I was a teen I used to chat to people on instant messenger all the time and one day in school I actually said 'lol' out loud by mistake, instead of laughing. True story
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames, those maps are fantastic. They reminded me of a similar thing I used to do with my friends, which was to draw single-page puzzle fortresses and then challenge each other to figure out the path we'd devised to get the key or whatever. Perhaps this explains my inordinate fondness for the single-screen puzzle platformer. I recall being especially fond of teleporters as a way of adding an element of surprise to the situation. And bombs for blowing up walls.

I did something similar with my siblings on long car trips, except those were RPG-like dungeons, made up basically on the spot one page at a time. Sort of a dumbed-down, diceless, rule-free D&D.

God! Homemade videogames on paper with the designer acting as gamemaster. What a freaking awesome idea. And I'd totally forgotten about it until this morning.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
One of the rooms contained (sigh) a "Rabid Barney" that you could only pass if you threw a rose at it.

My first successful foray into C programming was a little non-game I called "Barney Mutilator".

It actually had a fairly elaborate introduction sequence where I'd made Barney's arm wave while he sang, before the screen went black, and he was cut off by a sample of C-3PO saying "I've just about had enough of you!". Then the sounds of chainsaws and screaming kicked in as the screen slowly turned red. I'd had big plans to create a "Mutilator Construction Kit" which would have let you blow the limbs off of anyone or anything you had a picture of. I'm pretty glad now that I was never able to follow through on that one.

I was actually credited for inspiring several other Barney-killing games, which is pretty shameful. I'm not nearly as ashamed of that as I am of what my online handle was at the time, though. Irritatingly, I didn't manage to come up with an acceptable replacement to use when "ApM" was taken until I was like 23, so all my IM account names are still saddled with the embarassing sense of humour of my 13-year-old self.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I too had a little made up D&D thing. Mine used poker chips.

I also had a game that used that and a deck of map sectiions on index cards (cut to be square so they could be oriented in any direction) to make dungeons that were dynamically generated as you explored. Any player could use their cards to put traps and stuff wherever. It didn't work that well in actual practice though.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:

God! Homemade videogames on paper with the designer acting as gamemaster. What a freaking awesome idea. And I'd totally forgotten about it until this morning.

I used to do that in high school. We played a rudimentary Quake deathmatch board game based on the rules from Warhammer 40,000. We used coins for players and rulers to measure line-of-sight, and drew the levels on scrap paper. Eventually it became more about the drawing of the boards than anything. My best one had a teleport that dumped you out in a desert over the page, with a dirty old man labelled 'PAEDO'. It wasn't exactly fair.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember any of my childhood ideas Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
10 SCREEN 0,0,0
20 PRINT
30 PRINT"Welcome to the Land of Nomad."
40 PRINT"Would you like instructions(Y/n)?";
50 INPUT Z$
60 IF Z$="y" THEN PRINT"Well, too bad, 'cause there aren't any!"
70 PRINT"   NOMAD"
80 PRINT" You can:"
90 PRINT"C: Create a Character"
100 PRINT"Or
110 PRINT"Q: Quit."
120 INPUT Y$
130 IF Y$="q" THEN END
140 PRINT
150 PRINT"Do you want to be a (C)leric, (F)ighter or (M)agician?"
160 INPUT X$
170 IF X$="c" THEN PRINT"Ok, you're a cleric!":GOTO 210
180 IF X$="m" THEN PRINT"Ok, you're a magician!":GOTO 210
190 IF X$="f" THEN PRINT"Ok, you're a fighter!":GOTO 210
200 PRINT"Type c, m, or f"
205 GOTO 160
210 PRINT
220 PRINT"You are standing at the edge of a bottomless pit!"
230 PRINT"Suddenly, you are attacked by a level 25 dragon!"
240 PRINT"Do you want to (F)ight, (C)ast a spell, (E)vade, or do a (D)eath attack?"
250 INPUT V$
251 IF V$="d" THEN GOTO 600
254 IF V$="c" THEN GOTO 350
255 IF V$="f" THEN PRINT"You kick the level 25 dragon in the nads for 1000000000 hit points!"
256 IF V$="f" THEN O=O+1
257 IF O=3 THEN GOTO 580
258 IF V$="f" THEN GOTO 240
260 PRINT"You try, but the level 25 dragon pushes you off the cliff!"
270 PRINT"You're falling!"
280 PRINT"Do you want to (S)cream, (S)cream loud, or (S)cream at the top of your lungs?"
290 INPUT S$
300 PRINT"You take a deep breath, but you hit the ground head first."
305 PRINT"Maybe the pit wasn't bottomless!"
310 PRINT"Play again(Y/n)?
320 INPUT YN$
330 IF YN$="y" THEN GOTO 10
340 END
350 PRINT"You try but the computer thought you said Cast a smell!"
360 PRINT"The level 25 dragon becomes quite offended by this, and pushes you off the cliff."
370 GOTO 270
580 PRINT"The level 25 dragon gets angry and bites your head off."
590 GOTO 310
600 PRINT"***ULTRA POWERFUL MOVE***"
610 PRINT
620 PRINT"You step on the level 25 dragon's pinky toe"
630 PRINT"for 1 hit point of damage!"
640 PRINT"The level 25 dragon runs away, screaming!"
650 PRINT"You laugh at the level 25 dragon's misfortune!"
660 PRINT"As you laugh, you slip off the edge of the cliff!"
670 GOTO 270

I also have an unfinished QBASIC text adventure (which is 11K, so I won't post it) that understood commands of the form VERB NOUN and was constructed almost entirely of SELECT CASE statements. The writing is hilariously overwrought and you start the game in a locked cell, with amnesia. Of course.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizens demand a download link! I've got QBASIC, I can make it go.

SELECT CASE? Man, if only I'd been so smart when I wrote my text adventure. Here is a choice snippet from Dorkgimp Weinerstink: They're Out To Suck Your Brains:
Code:
IF typesome$ = "get cashcard" OR typesome$ = "GET CASHCARD" OR typesome$ = "take cashcard" OR typesome$ = "TAKE CASHCARD" AND cc = 0 THEN PRINT "Okay, you got it.": inv$ = inv$ + "CashCard,": cc = 1: GOSUB prskey

See if you can spot the bug!

Hint: I fixed it in a few spots where it would really cause trouble.
Code:
IF typesome$ = "open mailbox" AND openboxofmail = 0 AND gotkey = 1 OR typesome$ = "OPEN MAILBOX" AND openboxofmail = 0 AND gotkey = 1 THEN PRINT "Okay, it's open.": openboxofmail = 1: GOSUB prskey

The other way I would fix it was to write little subroutines that just checked the flags. Never did it occur to me that brackets might apply in this situation.

Incidentally, the README I made up for it was all kinds of awesome.

I also made a choose-your-own-adventure-like game about your character having amnesia. I made it with my best friend Roman and we called it "Idunno". I don't remember much about it except for the intro, which consisted of an 8x5 pixel head with a flapping mouth animating (drawn in my own terrible paint program because that was easier than deciphering anyone else's file format), with the following spoken dialogue playing in the background:
Quote:
Roman:The place... is England. The year... is seven eight seven.
Me: AD.
Roman: Well, of COURSE it's AD! What else could it be?
Me: BC!
Roman: Look, nothing happened in seven eight seven BC! Alright, look, you wake up one morning and you don't know who you are, there you go, that's the game.

Unfortunately, that lovely VOC file is gone forever.
dizzyjosh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Harveyjames, those maps are fantastic. They reminded me of a similar thing I used to do with my friends, which was to draw single-page puzzle fortresses and then challenge each other to figure out the path we'd devised to get the key or whatever. Perhaps this explains my inordinate fondness for the single-screen puzzle platformer. I recall being especially fond of teleporters as a way of adding an element of surprise to the situation. And bombs for blowing up walls.

I did something similar with my siblings on long car trips, except those were RPG-like dungeons, made up basically on the spot one page at a time. Sort of a dumbed-down, diceless, rule-free D&D.

we did the same thing! a lot! there were some neat back-and-forths over new tech, though. like how jetpacks were always tricky because the player could go anywhere, until someone started making the giant fans that blew you from direction to direction.
Patrick Alexander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, you made me stop lurking! With this thread you did it.

Christ, this text is tiny. How do people write posts and not rapidly go blind? Do you use Notepad and then cut and paste? Hey, good idea.

When I was a young'un but not too young'un -- like maybe 12 or 13? -- I got my first computer, second hand, from a friend of my mother's. It was an IBM with no hard drive and 512kb of RAM, at a time when the 486DX2-66 was about your standard new computer. DOS 3.22 it used, booted from a floppy. It had a CGA monitor that technically could display 16 colours but rarely did.

I'd always wanted a computer, fairly desperately actually, and made the most of it. It ran Bubble Bobble, and my love of and appreciation for that game continues to grow and deepen. It also ran Sopwith and The Ancient Art of War. And I think Alley Cat too, though that might have come later. Resting against the wall behind the chair I'm sitting in is an unfinished Alley Cat canvas painting, painted entirely in cyan, magenta, black and white.

I wanted to learn to program, but didn't have the resources nor any clue where to get some. But I did love to tinker with my beeping, buzzing grey machine, and eventually, through trial and error, taught myself how to code batch files.

echo Pretty fucking cool!

Getting to the point: I recall attempting to create a text adventure using batch files. Just a directory full of .BAT files that displayed text. And this was DOS 3.22, so I would have been using Edlin.

It didn't get very far, of course. Neither did the hilarious joke encyclopedia I've just now remembered. Yes, an encyclopedia. Batch files. Yes.

I'm pretty sure these projects featured delusional 'software company' text files, as well. You can imagine the sort of thing. Maybe you don't need to. I strongly suspect, in both cases, that the text files were the first thing to be written.

More successful were the 'pen and paper videogames' I created, probably at age 11 or 12, for the amusement of my classmates. Reading this thread, it gives me -- dare I say it -- the fuzzies, to learn that this was a fairly universal childhood hobby for people of about the same age. I remember a stapled booklet of scrap paper that was a fighting game, inspired, probably, by Street Fighter II. Each page was a character, and I think dice-throwing was involved. No, wait! Maybe it was a grid of numbers that you closed your eyes and pointed at with a pencil. Something like that. I can't remember. I do remember the boss was an Alfred E. Neuman lookalike. I'd like to think it was all pretty creative apart from that.

Videogame-related stuff like that would pop out of my head all the time. I was totally captivated by videogames as a child, probably in part because I didn't have any. In fact I still have a slight gut resentment towards those of you who did. Computers and Nintendo were for chubby rich kids who bought their lunches from the canteen almost every day. The closest I got to playing Super Mario Kart was when Robbie Sims brought the instruction booklet to class, to show off.

Of course, even if we could have afforded a Super Nintendo, my mother probably wouldn't have allowed it, the screeching loony. I think she confiscated an Isaac Asimov library book once. I had to hide reading books from this woman. Videogames? Forget it.

In conclusion, fuck you guys and your happy, wealthy childhoods.

PS. Nice to meet you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Slonie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From I don't know, 1985-ish?

Perhaps with today's next-generation hardware we can produce graphics such as these for the yet-to-be-announced Pole Position 3. At least that's what my friend at Namco said when I sent him the above picture.

Bonus one from a few years later, bu t in the same box:

fish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not exactly videogames but for years and years as a kid i would spend all my free time building these tolkien-esque (in magnitude, not style) worlds in dozens of books id carry around with me. cultures, technologies, alphabets, one for which i had actually made a working, albeit simple constructed language. years later i wrote this very myst-like fiction that allowed to link all my different universes together as a whole.

i found some of the books recebtly and i must say, it was some pretty solid stuff for a pre-teen.

id actually spend most of my lunch hours in my corner, writing down stuff in my made up languages, which eventually got me the reputation of totally being autistic.

in my last year of high school, i had to make one big final project for art class.
i studied in this special "arts concentration" program where for all the 5 years of high school, i had as many art classes as french and math combined! and for the lastr year, all students worked ALL YEAR on one project that had to incorporate at least 3 disciplines. that project for me was my biggest and best world yet, incorporating the best parts of all those that came before it. at the end of the year, an exhibition was held, and everybody incited their friends and families and such. you'd have big sculpture there, a painting there. and then my thing which was bsicly just a table, covered with books and pieces of fake parchemin and scrools. and a wall full of diagrams and chartsand architectural plans and alphabets. it was awesome.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slonie wrote:
From I don't know, 1985-ish?

I love the fact that you clearly had to get a grown-up to write "Pole Position 3" on it, but you could totally spell "NAMCO".

Patrick Alexander, I keep meaning to give you a shout-out in this thread, but it keeps slipping my mind. (Patrick and I, we go way back.) Welcome to the forums, yo.
Patrick Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slonie: Rock.

I know it's been done, but there need to be more and better games that look like children's drawings.

Jumblebee: Hallo! Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, brilliant thread.

I did so much of this.

A lot of fake game designing. One thing I loved was Compute! Gazette's sprite and character set editors. Probably my most elaborate game was something called "Beamers" (kind of an injoke with a friend), with a ton of little enemies running around the screen, except I think you need to herd them. Crossroads was kind of close to what I was dreaming of... probably a bit better in fact, but I had the idea of the character sets.

I spend a lot of time making elaborate title and "acknowledgments" screens for games that I would never write.

I did do some stuff in Logo and BASIC... I was fascinated with "artificial life", so I made the 4 turtles of Atari Logo (that already looked liked turtles, actually) roam around a little aquarium. And then in C=64 BASIC I made these one one character cell organism that would wander around the screen randomly, or you could press a button and drop a particle of food that they would seek out... actually it was then that I figured out the trick of giving things a x and y speed and adding that every click to the position of the character, and then only modify the speed, not the position itself. (I also learned that a simple tracking critter will orbit food in a figure 8 loop rather than find it directly.)

I think it's a bummer that no computer boots into BASIC or something similar these days. There are some neat programming environments around, and the web provides a whole host of different creativity and publishing options, but I think anyone born after 1984 or 5 or so is really going to miss out of how to get a computer to do mildly interesting things.

Finally, somewhat related, in seventh grade or so I made this book:

You can see the whole thing here, including a map of "The Place Where It All Is" which owed more than a passing nod to Loony Tunes "It can happen here" Wackyland. But the more blatant rip off was video game related: I stole the idea of a "pudding based life form" from an Antic Atari magazine type in game Rebound, Flip Ogart vs. the RotogartEatos. (ok, Ogarts aren't technically pudding-based, but the idea is there.)
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I remember paper-designing a gameboy competitor, MegaGame or some such, with a lot of Mega-* named games, which means I had MegaMan years before Capcom.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEGIN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE NERD RANT
kirkjerk wrote:
I think it's a bummer that no computer boots into BASIC or something similar these days. There are some neat programming environments around, and the web provides a whole host of different creativity and publishing options, but I think anyone born after 1984 or 5 or so is really going to miss out of how to get a computer to do mildly interesting things.

Quoted For Truth. I know it's an unpopular opinion because Dijkstra didn't like it, but I don't think there exists another general-purpose programming language as straightforward to understand for beginning programmers as BASIC. You could learn BASIC from help files, because every interesting operation was just another magic keyword. (I remember getting my first C compiler and being shocked that I didn't have any clue how to do anything even with the built-in help files.) There was nothing that was just an abstract programming entity, like objects or classes or references or scoping rules or functions or macros. (Technically you had subroutines, but I never understood them while programming BASIC.) Programmers forget how hard they had to work to first understand that stuff. All you had to work with in BASIC were the fundamentals of sequential computation: mutable variables, conditionals, loops, and branches. Until you've got those down, everything else is just magic keywords anyway*.

I mean:
Code:
class HelloWorldApp {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        System.out.println("Hello World!");
    }
}

How fucking ridiculous is that?

* Unless you're one of those "start 'em with functional programming" crazies, but what's the sense in teaching a model of computation that is based on not having side effects to someone who wants to learn how to make a computer DO something?

END PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE NERD RANT

Stuff like this gives me hope, though. If my kid draws pictures of videogames that he has in his head and I don't help him realize them, well, then I'll have failed as a father, I think.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE NERDNESS CONTINUES...
ApM wrote:
I know it's an unpopular opinion because Dijkstra didn't like it, but I don't think there exists another general-purpose programming language as straightforward to understand for beginning programmers as BASIC.

Relevant anecdote: I remember the first time I saw a program listing in (I think) AmigaBasic, some update to the old Star Trek game, and I thought... "huh, how does that work without line numbers?" And that may have been the type of BASIC Dijkstra didn't like, all line #s and what not. (though line numbers may have been nicer in a pre-fullscreen-editing age) I'm actually thinking OO is a bit overrated as an end-all be-all, but BASIC w/o named subroutines might indeed lead people down the wrong path.

Incidentally, there's a BASIC-like language for programming on the Atari 2600 now, a PC-based pre-compiler that translates everything into ASM and provides takes care of the rather difficult screen management. If that had been around 2 or 3 years earlier, I might've just written JoustPong quickly in it and called it a day. That in turn might've saved a marriage! Though probably not, the resources sunk into JoustPong probably would've been sunk into some other project. (Still I thought about trying to compose something about that for TGQ, switching between some watered down technical details of programming the 2600 and relationship thoughts and history. Eh, probably not all that readable anyway)

Other potentially kid friendly venues:
I always thought VB3 and 4 would be ok for a Windows-y raised kid, the event model is pretty straight forward. I made up a class at Tufts' experimental college on that, and made up some games for it.
There's DarkBASIC and BlitzBASIC, focused on 3D game stuff
There's that Klik-n-Create, or whatever its called, brigade
I've some interesting little toys in the Java-based processing.org, but over the years it seems to have got more boiler-plate-y and engineery and less pick up and go.

But still, there was something special about BOOTING into the language.

(Semi)Recently, Apple came close to that with HyperCard, but dropped it.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Incidentally, there's a BASIC-like language for programming on the Atari 2600 now, a PC-based pre-compiler that translates everything into ASM and provides takes care of the rather difficult screen management. If that had been around 2 or 3 years earlier, I might've just written JoustPong quickly in it and called it a day. That in turn might've saved a marriage! Though probably not, the resources sunk into JoustPong probably would've been sunk into some other project. (Still I thought about trying to compose something about that for TGQ, switching between some watered down technical details of programming the 2600 and relationship thoughts and history. Eh, probably not all that readable anyway)

I, for one, would love to read such an article.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i, for two, would love to read such an article!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, regarding the article.

I've got a dresser drawer back at my mom's house that's filled to the brim with old drawings and shit of mine from about ... fourteen accumulated years of my childhood and early teens. There's a lot of really stupid stuff in there, but next time I have a chance I'm going to rummage through it and find some gems.

One thing I can remember offhand: I once took a checkers set and sculpted little clay figurines on top of about eight pieces for each side, each of them wildly different in appearance. I then made up these horrendously convoluted and intricate rules for playing the game, inspired largely by the character interactions from Battle Chess, and desperately tried to convince friends and my sister to play it with me (to see how well it worked).
(Note I did this because I didn't really "get" chess strategy - I figure hey, I move all my guys this way and kill everyone, right? So my dad always beat me. sadface.)

After drafting scores of new villains and weapons and stages for Mega Man to be thrown against, I eventually tired of that and did a couple of new Street Fighter characters and, finally, began plotting original content. One of my first is a game that's sort of DOOM in opposite - you're a zombie, and you're out to save your zombie people from the legions of humans oppressing you. You've got a rocket shotgun (don't ask) and can throw grenades. I'd planned it as a top-down isometric sort of deal, with intricate grenade physics (bouncing!) and if you held a button and moved you'd move slowly, which means sneaky, which means you could catch humans standing at water coolers (in a ... dungeon) and do completely normal damage at them, but they'd be surprised.

Before age seven or eight I did fake movies... really early stuff is really embarassing, like when I was probably three or four my mom got me a kiddie cassette player/recorder with a big red plastic microphone. There's a He-Man tape out there somewhere that I figured out how to write to and has a really awkward conversation between a small boy and whoever the hell was voicing the pantsless hero back then. I also drew (but didn't write, because when I was younger I never really liked to write or really speak at all) out detailed scenes from a sequel to Commando wherein Arnold Schwarzenegger's character, filled with remorse for the wholesale slaughter he engaged in to rescue his family (or whomever, haven't seen the movie in ages) decides to... yep, kill more people. Sadly. I may have invented the "emo badass" archetype seen so often in modern media.
(Note, this elaborate plan is from an age where I drew mostly in squares - so Arnold's head is a giant pink rectangle. I'll provide an example when I have access to The Drawer.)

I stopped doing stuff like this because none of my friends really seemed interested until my chums and I in an AP Comp Sci class in high school rewrote asteroids as sort of an off-record group competition. My variant was pretty simple: I upped the fire rate, shortened fire distance, making the weapon more a laser whip than a gun, and so you'd just swing the ship around and lash the meteors away. My friend Jimmy experimented with object size and colour, eventually resulting in what he called AIDS, wherein you, a syringe, shoot antibody at one of dozens of tiny meteors (smaller than your ship) - but if you impact one, it'll just divide into like thirty, and impact other meteors who also divide exponentially, leading to the ultimate death of all humanity. You could not beat AIDS.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Jimmy doing now?
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some recordings of me making up songs to game music from when i was little i should find those

ducktales and mario2 and ninja gaiden with LYRICS
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH WOW I wanna hear those.

Me and my friend used to sing along to SMB1's overworld theme, 'I believe in christmas time, do-oo-oo you beieve i-in christmas?' Then the star theme would be 'Santa Claus is bakin' busicuits, what has Santa baked for you, 'Santa Claus is bakin' bisicuits, what has Santa baked for you'. We did this even in the middle of May!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for the high school note that I scanned my alien bill avatar from, so I could rescan it in a square-cropped-friendly way. And I found this:

Yeesh, that's probably high school era.
I'm not sure where it dates relative to me using Alien Bill as a signature character...

Anyway, I think the idea is that it's a bit of an Archon spin off. (With a bit of influence of this one Compute's Gazette ripoff of it, Front Line.. basically Archon, but with soldiers, and they fought for control of hills... I found out you could activate the one on one combat mode w/ a certain "POKE" command, and tried to wrap a better game in BASIC around it, but couldn't come up with a fast enough screen drawing routine in BASIC.)

So, ALIENZ, with the cool Z.... probably you started with a simple melee sword, and by capturing factories could get soliders with guns, bombs, and remote control planes (the latter is the strongest Archon 2 influence)

Maybe I should try to make this as a Glorious Trainwreck...
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You totally should. How often do people make their odd childhood ideas into real games?

(Don't answer that.)

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should make my childhood game design, 'Killer'. You are a robot programmed to explore an underground cavern. The rivers can kill you so what you have to do is press jump twice.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for your Enemies Rocket

I will!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Go for your Enemies Rocket

I will!

And by the way, that's "GOOD" weapons, not "GOOO" weapons.

Not so much gameplay wise, but I can almost see the rockets being like the ones in Chu Chu Rocket.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it said 6000 weapons!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I thought it said 6000 weapons!

At 2000 weapons a factory, that's not bad!
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the 6000 weapons is a good goal as long as you get them all at once.
Faithless

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very charming thread. I don't have anything that I can add. But I'm really happy to read what everyone else is writing.
Slonie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad this thread came back...I wonder if I have any more from the Pole Position Era.

One drawing I clearly remember doing at my friend's dining room table was the last boss of Contra...But the heart was kind of drawn from hazy memory and was more the shape of a mountain yam than any actual organ in a human (or alien) body. I'll never find that drawing though, unfortunately.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I could contribute to this thread is if I had voice recorded the conversation I had when I called Nintendo to suggest to them that they re-release Mario Bros and Wrecking Crew as the Mario Collection, back when Wrecking Crew was out of print and I was desperate for my own copy, since they had just done so with Donkey King 1 and 2. And man, the person on the other end was so awfully nice. I was like 8 at the time btw, and thank God no tape exists.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
The only way I could contribute to this thread is if I had voice recorded the conversation I had when I called Nintendo to suggest to them that they re-release Mario Bros and Wrecking Crew as the Mario Collection, back when Wrecking Crew was out of print and I was desperate for my own copy, since they had just done so with Donkey King 1 and 2. And man, the person on the other end was so awfully nice. I was like 8 at the time btw, and thank God no tape exists.

Heheh. This is very similar to my thought that DK should make a cameo as a boss in a Mario game... I think I thought this right around the SMB2 era. I thought it would be nifty to see how Mario's new skills could work against the old villain, and maybe DK could do a few new things too.

I guess this was more or less realized in DK for GB...
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has got 'spazzamatazz'. I wonder if it's possible to overuse that phrase. I don't think it is: 'spazzamatazz'.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that used to be my nickname in middle school
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: