The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Time Splitters and Way Of The Samurai 2 today. Man! It's hard going back to these early PS2 games, after playing 360 games. Even after playing Outrun 2. Time hasn't been good to them.

I'll talk about Time Splitters in the FPS thread, so I'll talk about Way of the Samurai 2. What a charming little game! It's impossible to take this game seriously, part of the charm itself, but I really like how people react to you and your actions and it looks like you're pretty free to do what you please. I'll certainly be playing more of this one, looks to be a keeper. I'm not sure if I want to be honourable, or just run around and be an asshole to everyone. It's so tempting!

It actually really reminds me of the Mystical Ninja games (partly due to the setting, I'm sure, but apart from that also)... which can only be a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I'll talk about Time Splitters in the FPS thread, so I'll talk about Way of the Samurai 2. What a charming little game! It's impossible to take this game seriously, part of the charm itself, but I really like how people react to you and your actions and it looks like you're pretty free to do what you please. I'll certainly be playing more of this one, looks to be a keeper. I'm not sure if I want to be honourable, or just run around and be an asshole to everyone. It's so tempting!

I really enjoy the first, as I believe swimmy does as well, but never tried the sequel. Does it still have branching paths based on action and time? In the original, there is a woman that is being kidnapped at the very beginning. You can either walk up and threaten the bandits and attack them, leading to a very early boss fight, assist them, or ignore them completely. I loved the fact that each one has a different result. I'm pretty sure they kept the good/bad, and you seemed to confirm that, but I was curious if they left the indifferent option in there. I recall the first time I didn't help, afterwards I met a guy who would later become my friend in the Good Guy path and he was floored that I didn't care enough to assist. Sorry, sir, I have carrots to kick into the air and expensive swords to horde away.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
I still need to root around under the couch to find another two dollars, then I can buy it.

That's how all money is obtained in Australia. It's then stored in a kangaroo's pouch. You take the Kangaroo to the shops with you on a lead when you want to buy something. Also all your soap-operas are full of really hot under-age girls. This is all I know about Australia.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Lestrade wrote:
I finished BioShock yesterday after having it for about two weeks. It was all the things people said it was, but I have to admit I was severely disappointed by the ending. It was completely anti-climactic. When will developers realize that when a player invests ten to twenty hours in a game, a thirty-second ending is a complete piss-off?

Well, don't forget the last few levels and boss fights are part of the ending, too. What do you want, Lord of The Rings? 'GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEE, GGGGGGGAAAAAAAANNNNNNNDDDDDAAAAAALLLLLLLFFFFFFFFF.'

You have become oddly antagonizing to me lately. What is your deal?

And yeah, that is what I'd like, truthfully. When the end of No Country for Old Men came down like a guillotine, I didn't feel cheated. It made sense, as jarring as it was. But here, it was that one element that just wasn't paid much attention to, and it felt disproportionate to the upstanding quality of the rest of the game.

Anyway, nevermind.

This weekend a friend and I also rented Umbrella Chronicles and blasted through most of the game in one sitting. Alone, the game is a huge dud, but with a friend it was genuinely fun. We're hoping to finish it later this week. I just wish Resident Evil games on Wii didn't look so poopy on my TV. I don't what it is with browny-greys and low resolutions; they just don't work on my set.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so last night waiting for my ear to pop i played the witcher. the witcher is...very interesting, at least an hour in. the combat makes more sense to me now than it did before, but it's hard and you get surrounded far too easily. so i die a lot.

also getting drunk is apparently quite deadly to your character. i think i have to do a bit more exploring before i try to complete six jobs at once.

the voice acting is both better and worse than i thought it would be. the presentation is pretty good, though there's too much aliasing on the close up shots during dialogue. the world so far makes sense, and uses typical tolkien fantasy stuff in a coherent and oddly realistic fashion.

the sex stuff was corny, and as much as i'd like to live in a world where every woman under 40 wore bodice boosting peasant dress things with those weird ripcord pulley things, that's the same part of my mind that wants to eat ice cream for dinner and stay up as late as i want. so we'll see! i hope to get hamstrung, or at least surprised, by later consequences of earlier choices.

anyway after i died a third time i started a new game in crysis on hard. hard is really fucking hard. but damn yes retroactive game of the motherfucking year.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:

You have become oddly antagonizing to me lately. What is your deal?

I don't know what you're talking about

But I'm sorry if that's how I came off!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
This weekend a friend and I also rented Umbrella Chronicles and blasted through most of the game in one sitting. Alone, the game is a huge dud, but with a friend it was genuinely fun.

I'm debating between getting Umbrella Chronicles or Ghost Squad because I love me some light gun games. Steer me in the proper direction!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess likes ghost squad, and lestrade thinks umbrella chronicles is poopy. I think the choice is clear.
bleak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motherfucking Ghost Squad.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt if you don't get ghost squad i will annul our friendship. it's over.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost squad is really remarkably decent, if my time in kentucky is to be any indication.

like, between it and kororinpa, the wii has almost actually started to define itself as a platform. i don't know what said definition would be (if not "japanese budget pointing GO"), but.. it fits, miraculously.
bleak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what about all those Nintendo titles?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of liked Umbrella Chronicles, but between it and Ghost Squad there's simply no choice.

Motherfuckin' Ghost Squad.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Ghost Squad?
Fred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So hey dudes I tried going back to FFXII for the first time since about the time I made this post and I just can't get into it again. It takes so long to do anything! I loaded up at the hub city with instructions to go to this other city. And after four hours I can't quit fooling around in the big plains between the one city in the other because there are always more wild horses to kill. It's fun but I can't help feeling like I should be doing something better with my time when I'm playing.

Meanwhile. At the bar I part-time at to make ends there are a few arcade machines. And the other day the leasing company came and replaced the old Shinobi machine with a Midway Greatest Hits cab. Apparently Midway's greatest hits all came out between 1982 and 1982. But I now have access to a working arcade machine of ROBOTRON 2084 and JOUST among other things (whatever BUBBLES, you don't count). I have been spending a lot more time there lately building up my twitch muscles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped playing XII somewhere in the middle of that big ice maze place, after I died a big, lossy death. I kept meaning to get back to it tomorrow or the day after, but... didn't. I really enjoyed it up to that point.

Someone sent me a copy of Rocket Slime, and so far it is even more adorable and entertaining than I expected from my E3 experience. The writing might get on my nerves eventually; right now it makes me grin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
What's Ghost Squad?

It's a Sega light-gun game from 2004 that was recently ported to the Wii. It's the ultimate light-gun game, if you ask me. It's short (three missions), but it has lots of replay value from all the weapons, mission variations and outfits you can unlock.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
But what about all those Nintendo titles?

the only one to date that hasn't been considerably underwhelming is warioware, and that.. needs to be cheaper. it does.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy and ExciteTruck were not underwhelming!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excitetruck was poo-poo

I've never played Elebits but I always thought it looked hot! And I hear Zack and Wiki is good times.

The virtual console and the channels are ace.

Oh by the way I got 120 stars in Mario Galaxy with Mario. I think my favorite Galaxy might be the Sea Slide Galaxy! It's like it's own coherent little world. You can imagine things go on there whether you're there or not.

My favorite stars are probably the ones where it seems like it's going to be too hard for you to do and then you surprise yourself by doing it on your third or fourth try. Purple coins on the Luigi blocks was spectacular in this respect.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Excitetruck was poo-poo

nonsense.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why you liked it but it didn't really endear itself to us in our house. Mainly it's the presentation which is (as my sister put it) 'YEAH! DUDE! SPRING BREAK!'

By the way my least favourite star was probably when you have to use bob-ombs to clear the trash for the second time.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excite Truck really opens up after a while. Once I "got it" and looked beyond the presentation, I was hooked. It's like San Francisco Rush, only better.

I can see how people wouldn't like it, though.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elebits is really good, for what I've played of it. I hear it gets gamery and annoying eventually. The first several levels are basically Half-Life 2 crossed with Pikmin, with shades of Katamari Damacy and Toy Commander.

It really uses the Wiimote well. The controls are so obvious and explicit that it can take a while to adjust to them. Like, I kept trying to figure out how to move the cursor in and out of the screen, to more precisely reach things closer or farther away. Then I realized there wasn't a command for it; you just... move your hand toward or away from the screen.

Beyond what I said above, it also feels like a light gun shooter.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

It's nice how we can all see each other's point of view. Probably the most civil internet foum I've ever been part of!
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
What's Ghost Squad?

Oh, it's a light gun shooter by SEGA-AM2. Apparently. All this time I was assuming it was a Tom Clancy game or something.

But... no?

Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game looks amazing, but I don't know if I want to pay full price for it...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, that's why it's (all the more strangely) appropriate that full price is $30.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh! that's ok then.

but in australia, games released at budget prices overseas oftne are released at full price here :/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, budget price for new games is usually around fifty bucks. Ghost Squad is seventy nine or something but I'm still buying it and most likely House Of the Dead 2 & 3 whenever that comes out because I really like SEGA arcade games where you shoot things with guns and get led around like you're in a theme park attraction.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79? Fuck that! There is something seriously shady with our pricing system. There is a huge hubbub right now about Activision screwing us over with prices and now people think there is a big CONSPIRACY going on.

In other news, everyone needs to experience playing Audio-Surf to Kittens. It's INCREDIBLE.

EDIT: Holy shit, Audio-Surf is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may have said this here before, but when most romhackers seem to think that making an unplayably hard hack somehow means they're more of a man, mario in zebes manages to be not only playable but interesting in a field glutted with hacks of super mario bros.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my first weekend off from school i finally found time to write about battle city, one of my favorite famicom titles that i really want nintendo and namco to bring to the import virtual console.

i've also been working through the new sam & max episode. there's a babydyke in this chapter, by which i mean an amelia earhart who has drunk herself back to infancy at the fountain of youth.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sam & max episodes make pretty good weekend games, it turns out. again i was able to finish the episode without needing to consult outside help - though i occasionally got stuck for a while - which i attribute to both well-clued puzzle design and a narrow scope of gameplay.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
a narrow scope of gameplay.

contrary to conventional writing about games, i assume you consider that a good quality
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course. especially in an adventure game. having a narrow range of action (here because of the episodic format of the series) means that i won't get stuck in the labyrinth on grass island because i didn't find some item on forest island. a small environment means i'm aware of every object in the game, and can focus on what the game should be about: figuring out what the do with them.

i've been saying for a while that more adventure games need to be divided into stages. i was having this conversation with one of my classmates a few days ago. the conversation turned to zack & wiki, which he had played and loved.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just like to reiterate that audiosurf is totally hip and with it in a far out way.

i wish my computer would let me record audio.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLB Power Pros makes me feel in 2008 like Ken Griffey Jr's MLB did in 1995, and I don't even care about baseball now.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the 2K-published Konami game with the little cartoon-y style players, right?
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's pretty fun, to the tune of it now being 3:30 a.m.

I dunno if I'll last through a whole season though. That's a LONG time. Plus this one sets you up with a ten year plan from the get-go.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so here is a video of my friend playing KITTENS by underworld in Audiosurf, since I can't record video for some reason. We're competing for the high score right now... he's leading a little.

http://www.stage6.com/user/aMac_UK/video/2076650/Audiosurf:-Underworld---Kittens

This is totally one of my favourite songs, I listened to it almost exclusively while playing Space Giraffe. It's also totally insane to play in Audiosurf, which is why we like it. It's hard to go back to slower songs now, but there are certainly songs that create more interesting spaceways.

P.S this is NINJA MONO mode, where you just have to grab the coloured blocks and avoid the grey ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox downloaded a plugin to play that video, so now the video appears, but when I click Play, Firefox instantly shuts down.

I just wanted you to know I tried, Cycle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been spending my free time with mighty bomb jack, the adventurey sequel to one of my favorite arcade platform games. i've always admired bomb jack's willingness to arrange familiar game elements in unconventional ways in order to produce compelling gameplay, and mighty is the same. a websearch turned up seanbaby's site as one of the top links, so the game has clearly been (not surprisingly) misunderstood.

i'm leaving for school soon but i'll offer that my favorite thing about the game is, predictably, the torture chamber - to which you are sent for being too "greedy" and hording items, and from which you cannot leave until you've jumped fifty times while avoiding enemies.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that audiosurf thing going to be pc or just mac only?

how is it with venetian snares or toecutter?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
a websearch turned up seanbaby's site as one of the top links, so the game has clearly been (not surprisingly) misunderstood.

Yeah, but
Quote:
Along the way you ran into dangerous enemies described in the manual like this:
"Rube: It is very much revengeful towards Jack, and it pursues him endlessly."

Translation: "Ha ha, American. Tecmo no hire no one for speak English make manual of you."

Comedy GOLD.

Seanbaby's back archive is actually pretty damn funny. IMO. YMMV. ETC.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the whole of that site back to front, back in the day. It kind of got me through high school and college.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the demo of Omega 5 last night, fired it up this morning for all of five minutes, and was so taken by it that I bought the full game. Boy, they've really done the whole 'Forgotten Worlds' thing absolutely right, haven't they?

Plus I've been playing EXIT, an old favorite. Hijouguchi: EXIT DS comes out next week, if anyone but me cares!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I read the whole of that site back to front, back in the day. It kind of got me through high school and college.

That site inspired me to make these animations of me and my then fiancee now ex:

That's what I thought we'd look like as Mega Man characters, and it was inspired by the top of the Hostess page
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what happened there patrick, works fine in both IE and Firefox for me!

dhex wrote:
is that audiosurf thing going to be pc or just mac only?

how is it with venetian snares or toecutter?

It's PC only? I don't know the answer to the other questions!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wondering what it was like with berserk breaks type stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 53 of 85

Jump to: