The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virtua Fighter 5: ONLINE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Virtua Fighter 5: ONLINE Reply with quote

http://eeemmecks.livejournal.com/3561.html

These are my intial impressions of VF5 for 360. I just got it. It's my first time owning VF5 since it came out, although I'm probably one of the better players in the US still. I don't care if you find my claim dubious, you're welcome to challenge me on live at gamertag:

eeemmecks

Discuss.
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I bought a six pack of turkish diet dr pepper and gunned through them all in about a 2 hour session. I played chf_flash, probably the best wolf in the US with my jeff and got destroyed. My throw breaking was off and that meant tons of ringouts and losing 35-40% life just do to simple timing problems(not sure if lag or me not being used to the slower speed of VF5 throws ?). This was fun. Who else has this game? RedEye, right? Who do you use? Wolf? I use wolf too. Too many wolf players, shit.

Anyways,
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're new to the game and can take it to the Final Motherfucker(tm) against me in a single match I will shed tears of manly joy

hi joe
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so

I invented new catchphrases

wolf's P+K, P, P is PHE PHE PHOENIX like chief thunder from KI

Wolf's F5 throw is the "finger of god" because that's what they call the F5 tornado in the movie, twister

will hop on live today, should be vegging this shit hardcore for the next two weeks since all I do is work and play VF5, with random bursts of going out to eat with friends and/or blowing them off entirely
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've been grinding the first arcade in quest mode, since I'm trying to get a 100% file. One 100% file means you get 999,999G with all new profiles you create in quest, but this is a pretty daunting proposition. You have to defeat all opponents in all arcades, of which there are...maybe 150-200 per arcade, and in quest you fight random opponents. I've spent 7+ hrs just playing the first arcade for completion (75% ish percent right now), with a few detours to other arcades for tournies to get more gold. It's terrible...I really don't understand why there isn't some kind of button cheat to just unlock everything, because no one is going to spend 60+ hours playing quest with one goddamn character to unlock everything. Cripes.

Last edited by ee_emm_ecks on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get a reward for 100%ing the quest mode in VF4 evo? It was easy enough to 100% the first arcade in that game, but the later ones seemed completely absurd, yes.
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. It doesn't matter though, you could download a hacked mem card file wtih 100% on everything for evo and not risk getting fucked over like with the 360
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at my parents' house over Christmas, where I can get on Live. I played a fair bit of Virtua Fighter online and found myself alternating between "This is the greatest thing ever" (when playing) and "This is the worst thing ever" (when looking for a match).

It really needs some kind of session play option, like DoA4. Something where you can connect up with a friend/friends and play a series of games using different characters.
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also:

Quote:
[...] you can play someone who just learned [Eileen's] good moves and how to use them, and if you don't know the matchup they have a huge advantage over you. Other, more vanilla characters, like the original 8, and players and characters that rely on a more conventional mixup are much easier to beat if they're shitty at the game. I don't like having to play around a character just to be able to beat someone who knows nothing about VF5's fundamentals.

I am one of these people. Hooray!

Eileen is basically the character that sold the game to me. I always used to find Virtua Fighter quite static and slow (you know, compared to Street Fighter Alpha 3 and stuff), and then I had a go using Eileen and an arcade stick, and something just clicked. It's mainly just because of her rising backflip kick... it's just one little move, but my whole game (at present) basically hangs on knowing that I can do a little crouching jab and then flip away and get some space (and, usually, a cheap knockdown) at a moment's notice. In general, I just find her a lot more intuitive than the other characters... I know what I want to do, I hit the kind of input that should do something like that, and she does more or less what I want. (Obviously this has become less of an issue now that I've had some time to learn her moves properly)

I've been trying to get into Lei-Fei and Jacky, but I get really irritated when Lei-Fei drops into stances all the time (and then becomes rooted to the spot (and yes, I know you just tap block to get out, but still)), and Jacky just doesn't seem to be able to maintain an attack the way I want. I mean, his combos seems short and everything has such long pauses afterwards. Well, this is basically the main thing that's put me off Virtua Fighter up to this point, but I'm prepared to work through it and figure the game out now (now that I've spent almost £90 on the game and a Hori stick, I mean).

But, you know, I'm not going to pretend to be a very technical player. Especially at Virtua Fighter... this is the first game in the series that I've really taken to, so I've only had a couple of months' casual offline play experience. A lot of what you say makes sense to me - I mean, I used to play a lot of Tekken, and I imagine that's where my taste for Eileen comes from (her moves are the most Tekken-ish?). Although that other guy's probably also right that you just need to get used to her quirks. She doesn't seem like the best character, by a long shot.
Worm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtua Fighter at one point became so much for Virtua Fighter fans that I can't get into it. Even logging in to play online felt like going up against the AI in VF4:EVO, it ended up just feeling very impersonal.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
Even logging in to play online felt like going up against the AI in VF4:EVO, it ended up just feeling very impersonal.

That's honestly a pretty good testament to the AI in the games.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Worm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one way to look at it. Though Online is in the title here. You think they could have thought of something more than Virtua Fighter fans would have enjoyed.

It's a good fighting game/system, sure. Though, I think there's a serious lack of creativity in the series, especially since the story mode consists of you going to arcades to play Virtua Fighter in. It just became such a tourney game somewhere, if I was already good I'd go snipe some losers, but I'm not really compelled to get good at it.
sarsamis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been nice if they released online play as a downloadable add on for the PS3 version, for people like me who already bought it on that platform and don't want to buy the same game twice. Oh well, playing with buds on the couch is more fun anyways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: