The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: arkanoid DS
I've played Quest Mode a bit. It's a series of timed challenges for each stage in the game. A fair number of them require you to just break a certain number of bricks in a set period of time or number of rebounds, and they're pretty tricky! There are a ton of challenges though, so I'm not comfortable commenting on the mode as a whole. The VS. CPU mode is pretty frustrating and uninteresting though, with you racing against the computer to clear a screen. You can send attacks over as well, but the experience isn't especially interesting as a whole. Maybe it's better if you're playing against a real person?

Also, I'm astonished by how varied and interesting the music in the game is. Zuntata's logo appears before the title screen, but it doesn't seem like any of the original members composed music for the game. I imagine that's been the case for a while now, huh?
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i FINALLY found mother three, guess where it was, it was inches away from the script that i printed out the huge white binder i was probably using it as a bookmark i dont know HOW I DID NOT SEE MOTHER THREE BUT I FOUND IT HERE IT IS

im on chapter 3 and this story overlap is AWESOME

also i cannot wait to get elephants in bladestorm, everyone follow me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relic, THQ, there are several reasons why it's annoying that you make people get a Relic Online account and install updates to play Opposing Fronts. I would like to point to the one I am experiencing now, and that is when the game doesn't install the patch after it has been downloaded. Now, instead of bypassing the patch until this is settled, I am told the patch is downloaded and the game will restart to install it, yet it never does. So, thanks, dicks.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just played through all of lala land i cant even
i just
someone needs to stop having my dreams
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the witcher ain't too bad despite being a giant hole of boobicon.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkanoid ds: quest mode is pretty neat. some of the challenges are pretty clever, like hitting two hard-to-reach blocks in ten seconds. vs computer seems like the obligatory single-player version of the multi-player game, which is actually probably neat. i think i'm going to try and collect the darius backgrounds, though they're expensive.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapter 3 in mother 3 is making me feel horrible
im trying to play through it as fast as possible so it can hurry up and end
im in a shitty mood because of this chapter, i feel so goddamn bad about shocking the poor monkey i just want to give him chewing gum

this game is so adult compared to earthbound, instead of feelings of happiness and wonder im feeling depressed and angry and i just want the happiness back

this game better get fucking happy because if this is some kind of analogy about adulthood being miserable well id ont need any more of that
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
i just want the happiness back

this game better get fucking happy because if this is some kind of analogy about adulthood being miserable well id ont need any more of that

it hardly is, don't worry, but i hope i'm not giving away too much to suggest that "i just want the happiness back" pretty much is mother 3 - for me, anyway.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah im only on chapter three but its just making me feel so bad
also its at home and im replaying it in my head over and over so i'm probably making it worse than it actually is

i expect really amazing things to happen, im just feelign bad for the monkey right now
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to cross-pimp a bit:
been going over the results of last night's Klikth Day of Klikmas at Glorious Trainwrecks. All of the entries had a holiday theme, as long as the penguin->cold and snow->holiday line isn't too much of a stretch.

Eight entries in all that you can see at the above link.

My favorite was Six's The Last Hannukah, one of the better uses of the theme, combining ancient holiday tradition with an appocalyptic scifi overtone, not to mention a good game mechanic.

My own was in Java, sugardum, where you have to help a somewhat retarded fairy climb to a christmas star by stacking gift boxes. This game was meant to be a bit more.. I dunno, like a physics-y Wario's Woods, but my homebrew physics "engine" was so insufferable that I couldn't get a satisfying "player jumping on gifts" feel, so I added a dragging mechanic and put the fairy under computer control. I kind of like the co-operative and indirect nature of the result as well as my gift-generating algorithm, but it's not the best thing I've posted on the site.

Also note worthy:
These Bastard Elves Are Trying To Santanap Christmas You Must Stop The Machinations Of Their Evil Plan Now! for its extravagent name and nifty pixel art, and T-Rex Saves X-Mas. Very challenging but not impssible, since originally you were meant to have 3 lives in what you now have 1 to do, but a satisfying reward screen.

EDIT: Oh and no dessgeega. Sad
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i had a party to be at, and when i got back i worked on an actual game. maybe someday!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cleared clear mode of arkanoid ds on the easiest (leftmost) path, rescuing a paddle that i can now play with. then i unlocked darius sound effects, blocks that resemble puzzle bobble bubbles, and my third piece of darius wallpaper. i can redecorate this entire game!

i think the zuntata logo at the title (and when did they change their logo, by the way?) refers to the fact that several zuntata songs are unlockable. the default tunes aren't by ztt.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkanoid DS sounds brilliant... I really want it with the paddle now. I have really, really fond memories of my father and I playing the game with the NES paddles.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished the aquaria demo. the mouse controls are great, at least until combat is introduced. the first big boss is a really good idea really poorly executed. the demo actually shows quite a bit, though it ends at a fairly abrupt point. i think i would like it more without narration.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
when i got back i worked on an actual game.

oh, i see how it is Mad
Six

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
when i got back i worked on an actual game.

oh, i see how it is Mad

six you are drunk it is time to go to bed
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, entirely thanks to this forum I acquired and have been playing through the Superhero League of Hoboken. It appears to be one of a gradually shrinking list of great adventure games that I somehow missed over the years!

I'm currently a level 6 League, having just acquired the maximal party size and the power 10 fellow. There are remarkably few heroines for me to run around with and I find this marginally distressing! However, the game in and of itself is beautifully kitschy and fun. It reminds me somewhat of Touche`, but with random encounters.

I also accidentally bought the lifetime version of Orcs & Elves so I might as well play it. Haven't fired it up yet though.

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fools. I've been playing Unreal Tournament 3 for the PS3, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings for the DS, Rock Band for the Xbox 360, and Mario Galaxy for the Wii. I've also been messing around with some of the customization features of the new Halo maps and they're pretty damn neat!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Mass Effect. Played a Renegade (ie, jerk) and did the jerkiest ending possible. It was pretty freaking great. Went and made a new character, a biotic Adept. Good times!

Now, to get Assassin's Creed done.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found I could trade all my old club nintendo points for wii points, so I got Yoshi's Story. It's nuts! It's a Mario plaform game which, instead of being based around conflict and skill-based challenge, is based around learning the ins and outs of a million little rules and idiosyncrasies and interactions. There's obviously depth here which I've barely begun to understand. I think true mastery of the game comes from only collecting your favorite fruit as much as possible? I'm not sure!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the MOST EXTREME POSSIBLE SCORE, you have to find all the melons on the level (in addition to all the hearts and stuff).

but it's more fun just playing it more laid back.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be having nightmares about that Neuron Jungle level.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rescued the second (of seven) paddle in arkanoid ds and have adorned every stage with a background from darius. given the amount of breakout games released every year, i honestly was not expecting to love this game as much as i do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I found I could trade all my old club nintendo points for wii points, so I got Yoshi's Story. It's nuts! It's a Mario plaform game which, instead of being based around conflict and skill-based challenge, is based around learning the ins and outs of a million little rules and idiosyncrasies and interactions. There's obviously depth here which I've barely begun to understand. I think true mastery of the game comes from only collecting your favorite fruit as much as possible? I'm not sure!

I love that game. I encountered it way before Yoshi's Island, so it was the first time I saw the "oversized normal enemy as boss thing.

Also that screen where you choose your Yoshi out of all the ones milling around, and then they scurry and jump off stage left to take their place in the adventure.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so with araknoid on the ds you control the paddle with the stylus?

i'm going to give the witcher another run tonight. i've had a lot of issues finding a good replacement mouse (though hopefully newegg will show up today).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
so with araknoid on the ds you control the paddle with the stylus?

there are a few different control options. the ideal one is a paddle controller that plugs into the ds, but mine hasn't arrived yet so i'm playing with the stylus. which works marvelously, by the way.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the stylus seems like the way to go.

but this does look pretty awesome:

Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i've had a lot of issues finding a good replacement mouse (though hopefully newegg will show up today).

Aside from being a little gaudy I really like the logitech G5. It's nice and simple so I don't have a million freaking buttons to worry about not pressing, and it's also customizable for weight and speed on the fly. It's also sickly accurate: i now find problems with mice that I use to think were really good mice.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it's less gaudy and slightly larger cousin, the 518.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

black paddles have sold out at the import stores i patronize, so i bought a pink one to plug into my black ds.

(three out of seven paddles rescued, by the way.)
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

Also that screen where you choose your Yoshi out of all the ones milling around, and then they scurry and jump off stage left to take their place in the adventure.

Yeah, that's ace. I love how the White Shy Guy appears on that screen, too, and until you click on him you have no idea what he's doing there. That's the beauty of Yoshi's Story for me, so far- just discovering what things do.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might do a mouse thread, but fyi shaper and everyone else, the 518 is nice and big. not as big as i would like a mouse to be, but big enough. lots of buttons that i don't think i'll need that often but hey you never know. being able to reload via mouse might be good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
black paddles have sold out at the import stores i patronize, so i bought a pink one to plug into my black ds.

(three out of seven paddles rescued, by the way.)

Dess, you'll be really happy with the paddle I suspect. It's amazing how close to the arcade-style dial it is.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uplink is awesome guys. It's Hackers the Movie the Game.

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU BITCHES I ACTUALLY BOUGHT A COPY OF FINAL FANTASY VI for the gameboy advance well actually it was a gift but right now im playing zack and wiki and it is my THIRD favorite game this year right under portal and phoenix wright three

HOWS THAT FOR JOURNALISM psshh
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Just thought I'd say that, yeah, it is awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've completed more than half of arkanoid ds's clear mode. i've redecorated the entire game to look and sound like darius; now i'm going to redecorate again.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
YOU BITCHES I ACTUALLY BOUGHT A COPY OF FINAL FANTASY VI for the gameboy advance well actually it was a gift but right now im playing zack and wiki and it is my THIRD favorite game this year right under portal and phoenix wright three

I'll be honest, I don't think it's Pulitzer material.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
daphaknee wrote:

I'll be honest, I don't think it's Pulitzer material.

oh wow heart is crushed JUST LIKE YOUR HEAD WILL BE
sediment

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orcs & Elves is awesome!

Especially since I can play it at stoplights and long straightaways while I'm delivering pizza, since it's turn based and the only thing that advances turns is me!

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

Just thought I'd say that, yeah, it is awesome.

Man, it really is though. It's such a brilliant idea and pretty flawlessly executed. I'm at a sticking point though because I'm pretty sure I've worked myself into a corner by buying a new PC too early (I thought that you'd get upgraded hardware with the PC, but I guess not). I've accepted a job that requires me to do things I'm not familiar with doing into a high security area where I need to break a VoiceIP and... I don't even have the software to do it, nor enough money. I've stared at it for a while and decided to go back to it later and perhaps just work on some cheap jobs I passed on pretty early this time.

So what kind of dynamic is it where when you die it is permanent death? Is that something that just makes it "roguelike" now or what? It doesn't feel write calling that a roguelike mechanic, but I'm hard pressed to figure out how best to describe it. I'm also fairly impressed that the game is 6+ years old now.

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just call it "permanent death" and say that it's a primary attribute of most roguelikes?
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: YULE LOVE IT! Reply with quote

It's Christmas so the game I always play after ROTT is the Carmageddon Splat Pack Christmas demo which I found on an old magazine coverdisc. It's Carmageddon so by nature it is completely hilarious and the Christmas theme makes the game more ludicrous.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a lousy job of thinking of games for people to give me.

Poor impulse control and a bit of disposable income mean I'm a real pain in the ass to buy gifts for.

So I asked for the Wii games Simpsons The Game, Namco-Regurgitated-or-Whatever, and Link's Crossbow Training.

Simpsons is just a joyless paint by numbers misguided-Wii-controls mehfest. Maybe because I got done with Mario Galaxies not too long ago, too say it pales by comparison is unfair to pale things.

The Namco is just... uff. The Galaga rail target game would be maybe ok if Monkey Ball didn't do it better 6 years ago. It was nice to see straight ports of Pac-Mania and Super Pac-Man I guess.

Link's Crossbow Training seemed pretty good though... funny to be revisiting the same creative material and scenes from Twilight Princess.

As usual, the big hit with my mom and aunt was 3 player Dr. Mario cut with a bit of 2 player Panel de Pon. Yay Puzzle Collection. Boo having to import it and have the updated Freeloader disc stop working so I have to cart a GC around.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I finally played (and finished) Portal. It was cute.

Not sure what I'l play next! Probably nothing because I'm going to be flatout till the end of the year.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man you guys cooking mama 2, as obnoxious as it is, is goddamn fun!

my mama is wearing a monocle!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that what the call it these days

i started playing darwinia! not sure what i think of it so far. it's ok? sure is nice to look at! we'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing SCURGE: Hive recently, along with the aforementioned Wizardry V. I put off Etrian Odyssey for a while, probably at least until I get sick of W5. Sourge is a whole lot of fun! It reminds me of what you'd get if you took Metroid and gave it a 3/4 overhead view and then meshed it flawlessly with Crystalis. It's a very well thought out, and well put together game. And the art assets are a joy to consume! I only have a couple very minor complaints about the game, those being that 1: It's hard to tell sometimes when an enemy dies if you're pelting it with ammo that it's weak against, making you waste time/energy in the heat of battle, and 2: During the mission end ranking screen, I wish it was a bit more informative of what constituted my score and ranking. But oh man, what a joy to play this game is. Perhaps I'll make a writeup of it soon...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
is that what the call it these days

i started playing darwinia! not sure what i think of it so far. it's ok? sure is nice to look at! we'll see.

In theory I love Darwinia.
In practice it can't get past the loading screen without crashing on my PC.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Darwinia! It's true. It's a little slow and kind of like an RTS-verylite, but yeah, it's pretty and fun, and relaxing. You should play DEFCON at normal speed if you want relaxing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 50 of 85

Jump to: