The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't stop listening
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and Joni Mitchell's new album is terrible. It has one good song that convinced me to pick it up but most of it is just over-produced, whiny trash. It's a real shame, because Blue is one of my all-time favorites.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know she was still alive! I need to get The Hissing of Summer Lawns, that's an amazing album.

Hey so music huh.

THE

KEYBOARD PLAYER

from

HIT INDIE BEAT COMBO 'OPERATOR PLEASE'

JUST. POSTED. ON. MY. BLOG

BECAUSE SHE LIKES MY DRAWINGS

UGHHUHUGHUHGUHGUHGHUGHHUHGUHGHUHGUHGUHGHGUHGHGHG
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GET HER NUMBER
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I didn't even know she was still alive! I need to get The Hissing of Summer Lawns, that's an amazing album.

Hey so music huh.

THE

KEYBOARD PLAYER

from

Stalk her!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick it in.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, done and done.

Hey how come I'd never listened to Ice-T's Home Invasion album before? I'd always taken Ice-T for a comedy, clown-ass rapper with no real appeal beyond the ironic, but I was wrong as a motherfucker because this is the best fucking rap album I've ever heard! My friend Petra who is a feminist filmmaker always said 'all rap is vile, except Ice-T' which I always thought was a pretty bizarre statement, but listening to it I can see what she saw in him. He's got a real respect for women that a lot of rappers don't have, which shines through even on tracks like '99 Problems' where he lists all the 'bitches' he has 'got'. Also he's got a rare gift for storytelling, doesn't hold anything back ('Race War' is direct incite to violence against the government) and is even generous, giving over a whole track to 'Grip', a 14-year-old female rapper. Not only this, but his flow is tight! One track includes the line 'rubbed me down, said she adored me / said the gunfire made her horny'. Also the production is what Public Enemy's Bomb Squad would sound like if they ever left their bedrooms and got laid. So yeah listen to Home Invasion.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! You said her music sucked. Way to go, hero.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I feel bad about that because normally I have a rule that if I'm going to write criticism on my blog I phrase it in such a way that I don't write anything I wouldn't say to the creator in person, and then the one time I off-the-cuff say a band 'sucks' one of the fucking band pops up. Being really nice, too! As if I didn't feel like enough of a jerk already.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so wow the new orb has grown on me tremendously, at least the leaked japanese version. i anticipate the feb 2008 release in america with something akin to froth.

(tower 23 is still the best song they've done in a while, but there are a few on here like mother nature that come close)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harveyjames tell me more about your blog why does it attract such musical talent from across the globe

what does it contain

how do these two correlate
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow sarcasm, that's really the highest form of wit

I wrote you a proper answer anyway, here it is: I post a lot of drawings on my blog and sometimes they're of semi-famous people, and the semi-famous people get directed to my blog either by fans or by them googling for their own name or something. Ok this has happened three times total.

Yeah probably my writing 'because she likes my drawings' was probably a bit misleading. Then again if she thought they sucked she wouldn't have posted, so it's not untrue.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh, what other famous people have graced your noble, hallowed blog?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you'll note that I'm using a pretty loose definition of the word 'famous' here, but since you asked: The guys from Pappy's Fun Club, an English comedy troupe, saw one of my drawings of them which I posted after I went to the Edinburgh fringe festival (I drew every act I saw). They used it on a few flyers and when I met them in London they gave me some £££.

Other reknowned people who've popped up on my blog include Vera Brosgol (storyboard artist on Neil Gaiman's Coraline and cartoonist), comic book artist Corey Lewis (Sharknife, Peng), cartoonist Nedroid (internet famous only) and, uh, Tim Rogers and Kieron Gillen. Not mega shout-it-from-the-rooftops stuff.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Tim Rogers, there's some important people right there Rolling Eyes
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got how the 'uh' that preceded his name meant I was playing that one down, right

What's with all the snideyness and sarcasm? Do you have a problem with me or something?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back a friend burned me a copy of Bonnie "Prince" Billy's I See a Darkness. I mostly ignored it until now, because I have to be in a new-stuff-seeking mood to enjoy new stuff.

It's competent. Some of these songs are good. But a slight majority of them are just a dude muttering over very uninteresting music. But I noticed something when I checked Wikipedia to fill out the album information: it ranked as Pitchfork's #9 best album of the 90s.

That sounds about right, for that site.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok we all know Pitchfork sucks, but seriously.

I've been getting into Radon. Their newest album, Metric Buttloads of Rock (2006) is half kinda shite and half BEST ALBUM EVER. If it were a six-song EP that just cut all the songs they whiny dude sings, I'd buy everyone a copy for Christmas. In fact, I think I'll gmail the good songs out right now.

-seryogin
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be the guy that totally demands favours of people he doesn't know, but I would love to hear those songs! If you could see your way clear to Gmailing them to thegreatunwashed@gmail.com I'm sure we could organise some sort of musical... exchange?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problemo, they're headed your way.

-seryogin
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless your cotton heart. Can I offer you some Australian delights, in exchange? I have a bit of Eskimo Joe kicking around, as well as some other old favourites.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

I wrote you a proper answer anyway, here it is: I post a lot of drawings on my blog and sometimes they're of semi-famous people, and the semi-famous people get directed to my blog either by fans or by them googling for their own name or something. Ok this has happened three times total.

Yeah probably my writing 'because she likes my drawings' was probably a bit misleading. Then again if she thought they sucked she wouldn't have posted, so it's not untrue.

I wasn't being sarcastic, thanks for the reply.

Sad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two listens in, M.I.A.'s Kala may replace In Rainbows as my favorite album of the year. I already feel devoted to it.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

Hey so music huh.

THE

KEYBOARD PLAYER

from

Lul, I also posted on that same blog entry, calling their lyrics "maddeningly dumb". Which they totally motherfucking are. Their music is okay though, even if the one that's getting a lot of airplay at the moment has the lead singer screech "INTERNET SEX, NAKED COMPUTERS" in it.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So hey, has anyone here heard of Qua? He's an Australian experimental/pop/ambient/electronic artist and he's totally rad. I plan on packing some of my favourite songs of his together and posting them here, but for the time being, here's one of his music videos which I think is RATHER BEAUTIFUL. You may have heard of the guy who made the music video, he does pixel art stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOQFxXFyZO0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Paul Robertson. Doesn't he post here, actually? Or on SB?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, really? cool! he's done quite a few videos with artists I enjoy.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alrighty, here are a bunch of QUA tracks, I demand you all check them out and buy his stuff. he has a new one coming out soon.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c1y8pm
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

:(

:(

sorry

I was on the defensive there, that was right before I wrote the post asking if everyone hated me

I am terrible at reading people's tone in the internet.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, anyone here like Underworld? I just watched Sunshine, which they provided the soudntrack for, and a couple of the tunes from the movie made their way on their latest album. It's a very solid release with some beautiful tracks, far better than the soulless Hundred Days Off (their last release). Has a few tracks that make me just happy to be alive, you know? They're pretty good at making that kind of music, and music i can just lose myself in and see beyond my own eyes. If I may sound pretentious for a moment, there.

SO YEAH, anyone dig them?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do! I really like Glam Bucket from their latest, although for some reason when I first heard it I was walking outside in the city and it just made me feel totally claustrophobic. Quite happy and free, but pressed in and a little nervous like I was suddenly a foreigner looking for a hostel. Do you know which ones made it from film to album?
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I actually kinda like a hundred days off. Sure, not as organic, but functionally comfortable like an electronic easy chair. If I was able to say "it's pretty chill" without dry-retching and feeling like having a soy latte over some Cafe Del Mar compilation, I would describe it as such.
bleak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
bleak wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

Sad

Sad

sorry

I was on the defensive there, that was right before I wrote the post asking if everyone hated me

I am terrible at reading people's tone in the internet.
*chuckle* It's okay man. I just wanted to make you feel guilty a bit.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captaincabinets wrote:
I do! I really like Glam Bucket from their latest, although for some reason when I first heard it I was walking outside in the city and it just made me feel totally claustrophobic. Quite happy and free, but pressed in and a little nervous like I was suddenly a foreigner looking for a hostel. Do you know which ones made it from film to album?

Glam Bucket is a good track, though without a doubt the most dark. I can totally see how it could make you feel that way. It makes me feel a little panicy!

To Heal was the track that played when Kapa was sending the message to his family, and also played at the end of the movie when he succesfully turned on the bomb and uh... I thought more were on this album but I guess not! Beautiful track, though. The track that wasp layed at the end of the movie was on one of their RIVERUN projects, which were also totally awesome.

Hundred days off was a funky album, but it just didn't make me feel anything. I liked some of the tracks, but it was ultimately forgettable for me.

Together, I found Faxed Invitation and Good Morning Cockerel to be my favourite tracks on my new album. Just makes me think of sunny days on the beach with people I love.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some local Iowa acts I recently discovered (thanks to the University of Iowa's radio station) who aren't bad!

they are as follows:
White Washington
Dan Deacon
and Girl Talk.

They're not my typical "thing" (protip: I really, really like Cabaret Voltaire's 12" mixes) but they're cool listening.

The DJs around here are kind of pricks though. They're way, way too into the indie scene.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

early or late cab volt?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex you shuold download that qua stuff I posted earlier you are sure to like a couple of the tracks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle, you should post some more, so at least we can complete both albums.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you should buy them and support talented australian artists >:O

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex: more the late material, but i do still like the early stuff. I tend to like the industrial musics you can dance to.

Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
no you should buy them and support talented australian artists >:O

If I promise I will when I have money, will you upload them? 0:)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like colours, their ambient house album. though the later remix album is quite good too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So uh guys I recorded a heartfelt Christmas album.

I hope it makes your insides feel warm, during this Very Special Season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuCPckU5bx0&feature=related

i didnt know she had a musical career as WELL jeez o pete
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust that 'as well' means 'as well as eating dog shit'

So now she can add 'being a singer' to her list of failures.

other failures:

being an actor
being a man
being a woman

Hey Patrick your christmas album is like everything else I've ever seen you do, i.e. MENTAL
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only christmas sentiment left in me is that being in line anywhere is hell on earth during the month of december.

also those beatles christmas songs (there's two of them?) are fucking awful. no wonder they shot that blowjob. if someone wants to grab a hacksaw and a towel i'd be more than happy to hold down any progeny that may have survived. (musicians breed like ticks, being largely irresponsible pieces of shit.)

uh in other news i've been listening to older today is the day cause it helps me forget christmas music.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love John Lennon :(
enjoy all monsters

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer ringo : )

I've been listening to a lot of roky erickson, former front man of the inventors of psychedelic music, the 13th floor elevators

here one of his very good b-movie horror styled albums

roky erickson and the aliens - the evil one
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may reveal just how shallow my taste in music is, but, aside from the pointless sound clip at the end, I'm pretty sure "Pray for Rain" by The Ergs! is the perfect song.

Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains are fantastic. They're like Ghost Mice if the lyrics (and everything else) didn't suck so bad.

-seryogin
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what do you handsome folk use to illegally download music these days? I usually use soulseek but it seems to be crap these days. In fact, whenever decided to pirate some music, the last app i use always seems to turn to crap.

Anyway, yeah, where do you get your music from? Full albums. Old ones, too

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy my music from a store.

I bought Hawkwind's Space Ritual and Count Raven's Storm Warning which is pretty sweet. Being into Candlemass and Saint Vitus makes it my kind of bag as it's basically like both of those bands all swirled into one. I'd like to be able to get the rest of their stuff but being a doom band it's close to impossible to find in stores and I don't really feel comfortable with that whole buying things over the internet deal. Oh well. I plan on listening to the first album I mentioned sometime tomorrow, when I can properly sit down to enjoy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 14 of 22

Jump to: