The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Most Daring Brit Alive!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: The Most Daring Brit Alive!! Reply with quote

So the new Dan Dare is out, which happens to be written by Garth Ennis, for whom Dracko has a boner for.

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/119602836263595.htm

Does the character still mean something to you people? Does he matter?

I'm kinda sorta involved with this and that's all I can legally say.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is preacher supposed to be good again?
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't dislike grant morrison's dare comic but it seemed kind of unnecessary, at least after alan moore's marvelman. then again, i don't have much of a familiarity with the original comics.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I remember about Preacher was that it was written by someone who was apparently shooting for Tarantino-esque dialogue and landed on 'load of dick jokes and swears'.

The original Dan Dare is pretty amazing because it's a British comic with a Japanese budget- they had a massive team working on it. They had model builders, researchers and costume designers, and even paid people to come in and act out the panels. It was a pretty huge operation. That was when UK TV was still in black and white and dominated by gritty realism and so comics, with their full-colour escapism limited only by the imagination of the artists, genuinely had something to offer that couldn't be seen in any other medium.

I haven't seen that site in years. I had a thing reviewed on there once: http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/109263105026046.htm

Hey Virgin Comics seems like kind of a weird business endeavour! Outsourcing all the art to the Asia makes sense, I guess, since it's worked for the animation industry for all these years. But why make comics that are targeted squarely at the dwindling core comic reader demographic who reads Wizard Magazine? Why aren't they doing an Iwata and trying to make comics that appeal to people who never knew they needed comics in their lives? Or, reading the market as it stands, the biggest growth sectors in graphic novels are in hugely popular Manga like Naruto and the blossoming girl's manga market, so why aren't they chasing a piece of that pie instead of going with this dated mid-90's Image Comics style of drawing? It seems a little bit half-arsed, but maybe they've got something up their sleeves.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is Garth Ennis writing, but Gary Erskine is on art and none other than the legendary Bryan Talbot does the cover!

Last week saw the release of the new Grendel mini-series by Matt Wagner, Behold the Devil, Hunter Rose era. You're damn right I'm excited to see what Ennis does with this classic character.

I didn't like Morrison's take on the character. It was just him blatantly droning on against Margaret Thatcher and then inserting a pointlessly sexualised and weird alien conspiracy into the midst. It was utterly without purpose and did nothing with the character.

Guys, Preacher isn't the best Ennis comic. It's one of the defining ones of the 90s for a reason though. All I'll say is: The apparent anti-religious themes are besides the point. It's about friendship and forgiveness. He's done better since, mainly with the likes of Punisher MAX, and I know Dan Dare is in good hands because he also wrote a mini-series abut another, lesser known classic British hero, Battler Briton, which is worth a read.

seryogin wrote:
I'm kinda sorta involved with this and that's all I can legally say.

Ah, I see. Tell us more when you can.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Dracko question, but I'm wondering which edition of From Hell to purchase?

Also, is Watchmen worth reading? I read most of it a long time ago and found it ridiculous and with bad art. A while later a man by the name of Shaper MC told me that its stupidity is kind of the point. It's like Metal Gear Solid 2 of comic books, making the stupidity of the comic book trappings obvious to all....

Now I don't like comics... other than the EC comics of the 50s... and don't care about superheroes unless they're Japanese... will this still be interesting?

I will read From Hell, though, and only because Shaper says that it's the best book he's ever read and those are some powerful words coming out of someone who's read Mishima's best novels.

So, what do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, watchmen is a complete and total homage to golden age comics. if you approach it with that in mind, it's really quite good - most of the heroes portrayed are the gutsy bare-knuckle types prevalent from the age, and it also has a modern look back at the sexual suppression of the period as a pretty significant theme.

i really liked it. your mileage may vary.

Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Watchmen has very little to do with the supposed Golden Age of comics. If you're looking for something along those lines, try All-Star Superman. Which is the only characterisation of Superman I can tolerate, even appreciate. It's really quite good.

I wouldn't recommend The Watchmen. I read it once, got the point, it was enough. Your first assessment was correct, Sergei. Get the latest edition of From Hell. I own the one before that, and the pages are horrendously fragile. You'll get the extra content out of the later ones too, such as Alan Moore's annotations and a bonus comic about Gull-catchers and other Ripper fanatics.

It's a shame you don't like comics, Sergei. There is some genuinely brilliant stuff out there, which surprised even myself. How do you feel about French BDs, or any other non-American comics, for that matter?
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracko i love you for not caring about the watchmen!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although having said that Watchmen was a bit of an eye-opener when I first read it, since it kind of made all the stuff I'd been into prior to that look kind of juvenile and rubbish (mostly Judge Dredd). It was the first comic I ever read with that level of scope and ambition and intelligence. But I can take it or leave it now.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
The Watchmen has very little to do with the supposed Golden Age of comics. If you're looking for something along those lines, try All-Star Superman. Which is the only characterisation of Superman I can tolerate, even appreciate. It's really quite good.

I wouldn't recommend The Watchmen. I read it once, got the point, it was enough. Your first assessment was correct, Sergei. Get the latest edition of From Hell. I own the one before that, and the pages are horrendously fragile. You'll get the extra content out of the later ones too, such as Alan Moore's annotations and a bonus comic about Gull-catchers and other Ripper fanatics.

It's a shame you don't like comics, Sergei. There is some genuinely brilliant stuff out there, which surprised even myself. How do you feel about French BDs, or any other non-American comics, for that matter?

I was thinking about this after leaving work and waiting at Borders for my girlfriend.

I mean, I guess my problem with American comics are the same ones that dhex has with movies. He just doesn't like them for the most part, doesn't see the point (this doesn't stop him from liking some of the worst movies known to man).

My main problem with comics was more or less summarized by Harvey James in a recent blog post, where he said, "Goku himself is a masterclass in iconic character design, since his distinctive haircut and tail give him a unique silhouette from all angles. The japanese have a leg-up on this stuff on everybody else, since they get most of their ideas on how to do comics from Osamu 'Astro Boy' Tezuka, who in turn got everything he knows from 1940's Hollywood animation. Mainstream American comics artists, however, abide by principles developed by a long tradition of, uh, 1940's American comics artists, who were all the people not good enough be 1940's Hollywood animators. So they're kind of fucked from the start."

And as wrong-headed as that assertion seems, I can't help but feel that it's true. In other words, I find most comic book art very ugly. Most of them can't illustrate a single human emotion correctly, or at least interestingly.

Again, the problem might be that I'm not giving comics a chance.

With that in mind, I went to the comics section of Borders this evening and started reading a book called "Graphic Novels: a Guide" or something to that effect. The art used in examples was pretty good actually and I thouhgt that maybe, just maybe I might be wrong. I also picked up some book called DMZ and it seemed pretty interesting. God knows Manhattan as a ruined war zone looks much prettier than the actual thing.

It's just that I've been pretty burned by comics whenever I tried to like them. They seemed to be juvenile for the most part, even when they were trying to be serious. I remember retching at the absolute shite that was the collected works of Frank Miller, an absolute moron of fifth rate noir novelist. Then there was Maus, which I guess you could call good, even though it merely exploits the same Holocaust theme that every artist without a consience or intellect will turn to. After that came, Red Star... which was kind of okay. And then Garth Ennis, who I didn't care for and then Warren Ellis, who still strikes me as a blathering idiot. As far as I can tell, all that comics do, have done, or attempt to do has already been done much better in film and prose. Comic book re-imaginings may be popular these days, but watching a lot of comic books movies has just shown me that these characters didn't need to be re-imagined at all. The BATUSI wasn't a parody guys, they ALWAYS looked and WERE this stupid.

(the only American comic I can honeslty say that I've enjoyed was Calvin and Hobbes).

Manga, on the other hand, has rarely burned me as much. For evey Rurouni Kenshin that I read I'd end up with a Battle Angel Alita (which I really liked). And then there was Akira, which I also really admire. No, you might counter by saying that all of the above mentioned works were greatly influenced by American comics and you would be right. But then, like every other trinket that the Japs reverse-engineered from the West, they ended up doing it better... Alita may have been influenced by Frank Miller, but it struck me as light years beyond his lame noir bullshit.

My favorite work of graphic fiction remains Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, recommened to me by Persona, who will never visit these forums again, and who was right in saying that 98% percent of all Japanese popular art: manga, anime, and videogames, draw heavily from it. And we'll, it helps that Nausicaa was very, very talently drawn and shown. The second and third volumes had the best drawn battle scenes I've ever had the pleasure of viewing.

Again, my ideas are unfair and, well, I'll try to fix them. To see if comics can work beyond the level that I view them. I'll start with From Hell and work from there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I suspect you've been reading the poor stuff. You might even find older works more interesting, even though I'd argue we're witnessing a pretty massive creative outburst in comics at the moment. Give Jim Steranko a go. I suggest his illustrated novel Chandler: Red Tide first perhaps, before going for his superhero stuff (Nick Fury in particular).

Frank Miller is kind of hard to "get", in a sense. It helps if you keep in mind that it's all just a big joke for him, best exemplified by his current work on All-Star Batman. I never liked Sin City in the first place. Maus is a bore at the best of times and the depiction of an abusive, selfish comic creator at the worst. Ellis is just a hack who drops pseudo-science half the time, but he has made some good stuff. Most recently, Crécy, which is as hateful and funny as a history lesson should be. How familiar are you with the works of Grant Morrison?

What works of Ennis did you read at first? And I gave you some suggestions on my LJ which I still think you should check out.

Calvin and Hobbes is excellent, of course. Have you ever read any Enki Bilal? He's a Serbian-born French comic book creator who writes and draws stunning works of surreal sci-fi and historical fiction.

You might find more joy with foreign comics, really.

I could probably think up tons of other appropriate suggestions really, but yeah, try your hand at From Hell first.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually discovered Bilal today, while looking at that graphic novel guide. His art looked pretty impressive. Is he published in English?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i keep meaning to pick up a copy of from hell.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
I've actually discovered Bilal today, while looking at that graphic novel guide. His art looked pretty impressive. Is he published in English?

He is, but the translations are just about serviceable. They undermine the serious writing somewhat. But they're not bad.

As far as sci-fi goes, most people love his Nikopol trilogy, but I prefer his latest Hatzfeld (a.k.a. The Monster) tetralogy. As for historical fiction, you can't go wrong with The Hunting Party or The Black Order Brigade. He's got a cool surreal tale in the form of Bleeding Hearts and Other Stories too.

I've just read the first issue of this Dan Dare. It's not bad at all! Exactly what the doctor ordered! It somewhat takes the same direction as Morrison's version, but more expertly and more in line with what you'd expect from a revival of an action comic in the modern day. Dare's bored (and his situation borders on the horrifying, honestly, but maybe I'm thinking too much about it and I won't spoil it for you), and his only hope to seeing active service again is by working with an idiot, self-serving Prime Minister in facing off an alien invasion force. So it bloody goes. Ennis does convey the sense of British pride as well as cynicism you'd wish from such a veteran character, honestly.

I think the way the story flows though might lend itself to better reading once it's collected.

In this vein, you should try Warren Ellis' Ministry of Space, Sergei. It's fantastic until the meaningless, arse-covering cop-out of the final panel. And yes, give Battler Briton a look too. Also known as: Our chaps show the Yanks how it's bloody well done.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:

My favorite work of graphic fiction remains Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, recommened to me by Persona, who will never visit these forums again, and who was right in saying that 98% percent of all Japanese popular art: manga, anime, and videogames, draw heavily from it. And we'll, it helps that Nausicaa was very, very talently drawn and shown. The second and third volumes had the best drawn battle scenes I've ever had the pleasure of viewing.

Nausicaa is amazing, and has some of Miyazaki's best stuff in there. If you're a Miyazaki fan and you've not read Nausicaa you haven't seen everything he's got to show you by a long stretch. It's got all the mastery of storytelling displayed in his film work, and some of the action sequences are the best he's ever done. There's a wonderful sequence in a B-52 style flying fortress, and another which sees Nausicaa leading an enormous cavalry charge on a Chocobo-style flightless bird, which would have been next to impossible to depict in animation at the time.

Hey I just finished reading Akira!! It is fucking amazing! It knocks the film into a cocked hat. In book 5 you actually get to see Kei and Kaneda share a kiss! It is a wonderful and tender moment, and is something I think I've been waiting to see since the very first time I saw Akira when I was 12. It's also something I honestly don't think I've ever seen in a Japanese cartoon before, now I come to think about it.

seryogin wrote:

(the only American comic I can honeslty say that I've enjoyed was Calvin and Hobbes).

What do you think about Peanuts?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/109263105026046.htm

Hey guys are you impressed by the review of my comic book
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really been able to get into anything other than autobiographical comics, which were a huge trend in the mid-to-late 90s. There's something about comics which is perfect for the "fly on the wall" feeling.

Otherwise, it's pretty much collections of Calvin & Hobbes, Pogo and the Far Side.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with autobiographical comics is that the life of a comic book artist usually amounts to little more than drawing comics, going to comic book conventions and J'ing O.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, you should read some Joe Sacco.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah he's good.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/109263105026046.htm

Hey guys are you impressed by the review of my comic book

You already linked this, you vain piece of shit!

Yes, we - and I'm using the royal we here - are very impressed.

EDIT: Sacco ain't bad. But his sensibility and biases usually piss me off. Since he always ends up being used as tool by the people that he interviews. Not unlike most journalists actually. The only difference is that he draws his shit instead of writes it. I guess somebody had to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
The problem with autobiographical comics is that the life of a comic book artist usually amounts to little more than drawing comics, going to comic book conventions and J'ing O.

Yeah, it's a rare one that either a) has an interesting enough life or b) can make their mundanity somehow interesting. Luckily there's enough people doing them that you still get some good 'uns.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Matt's Peepshow is only ever interesting because he's the saddest of the sad, going so far as to include his own lewd desires over members of his audience. The entire thing is a train crash, and frankly, I don't think I want to read it any more.

Scratchmonkey, give Jonathan Hickman's The Nightly News a look. It's fiction, yes, but it might be up your alley.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Joe Matt's Peepshow is only ever interesting because he's the saddest of the sad, going so far as to include his own lewd desires over members of his audience. The entire thing is a train crash, and frankly, I don't think I want to read it any more.

Yeah, I've got all three of his collections, Peepshow, The Poor Bastard and Spent and it's interesting to see how he personally degenerates even as his art gets better and better. You can't read it for too long before you start to feel pretty queasy.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sin City had its origins in Miller’s anger at Marvel Comics. As I understand it, he was exercised about the all-rights contract he had signed and gave a rambling keynote speech at the Diamond Comics con, where several Marvel suits were in attendance, excoriating the company for their malfeasance, and variously talking about being bullied as a child, how he used to wear a Superboy costume under his clothing to give him the courage to fight back, and comparing early comic-book artists like Jack Kirby to the troops who stormed the beaches at Normandy, and demanding his First Amendment rights on the grounds that Batman should be allowed to say, “Fuck!” and Superman should be permitted to kill and eat Lois Lane. But never mind the cause, let’s just say he was very angry and he wanted to do a project that Marvel (to whom he had been under contract) wouldn’t touch and thus came up with Sin City. This’ll show ’em, he (in effect) said, and screwed up his face and proceeded to vent his spleen upon the page, snickering over each drop of self-perceived clever negativity that squirted from his pen, making such a nasty, smelly comic that the execs from Marvel would weep upon apprehending it. Thus it’s my feeling that the fantasies that inform (so to speak) Sin City are the vilest spitballs that the quintessentially pre-pubescent manchild fanboy Frank Miller could serve up from the shallow pit of his imagination, which was filled to overflowing with a misanthropic glut of serial killers, pedophiles, and large-breasted hookers in fishnet and thongs.

I think this sums up why Frank Miller sucks. I need someone to prove this wrong.

Anyhow, I'm going to read The Dark Knight Returns and post my impressions later
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of enjoyed Sin City the movie. I was appalled by 300, though!
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sin City the comics come in seven freaking volumes and are really... really ... hard to capture in terms of an explanation of quality or taste. they're simultaneously really shitty and not that bad. it's like watching a t-rex have sex with a warthog while performing the rock opera Tommy.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read To Hell And Back all the way through as it was released. To start with I was gripped by it, and month by month the realisation that I was by no means in the hands of a master storyteller crept in like cancer. I mean it's quite terrible. I did think the episode with the blue chick was pretty hot, though.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you realize Sin City is just a giant vent for all of Miller's frustrations (both in terms of being a comic writer and a person), it is pretty funny. I mean, they aren't great, but they are amusing in their own little way. DKR is still really good, but it is kinda hard to judge it now seeing as how much it kinda changed Batman or at least ushered in changes for him.

So i guess what I am saying is that I find Miller enjoyable, but it is totally cool with me if you don't. I really want to read his new Batman run though. A friend of mine who is an American comics junky started out hating it, and then later told me he thinks it might be some of the best Batman in a long time.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All-Star Batman is our generation's Iliad.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to ask that.

I read Batman: Year One and enjoyed it to my surprise. Miller's corny noir heart of gold bullshit doesn't wrankle me as much when he's writing about Batman. The art was pretty okay too.

So I looked into his new Batman run and it seems pretty good. In the sense that it seems to have pissed off all the right people, since Batman comes off as a psycho asshole.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is exactly the point. Think of it in the same way as Thomas Harris and his Hannibal Lecter character: He wrote Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs, then people wanted more. So he basically goes "You want more, you fuckers? Have more!" and writes Hannibal.

All-Star Batman is clearly designed to take the extreme version he wrote out of Dark Knight Returns and tell people to shove it. I think it's comedy gold, personally.

Year One is fantastic, but it comes off as more of a Commissioner Gordon story to me, which is by no means a bad thing.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, dracko, what's the essential reading as far as Alan Moore is concerned?

From Hell is a given.

But what about the DC Stories collection? I've heard you say that The Killing Joke is the best Batman story ever.

How is Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum?

EDIT: What do you think about the All Star line in general?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so you enjoyed From Hell, did you? As far as Moore goes, V for Vendetta is quite good. I greatly enjoyed the adaptations of his The Courtyard and Hypothetical Lizard that were made (the former is a Cthulhu story, the latter a drama set in a brothel exclusive to mages and wizards).

But as far as essentials go, the adaptations he did of his performance art pieces, Snakes & Ladders and The Birth Caul, again with Eddie Campbell as a collaborator (on that note, check out Campbell's The Fate of the Artist if you can) are phenomenal. They're collected in a book called A Disease of Language, which I still need to get. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is top notch stuff too. Harvey seems to recommend Promethea and the incomplete Big Numbers too. The Ballad of Halo Jones is one of his older works back when he worked with 2000AD, and it's pretty grand sci-fi feminist stuff. As far as DC goes, you've got Marvelman and his Green Lantern shorts. If you're bringing up The Killing Joke, he wrote a similar story around Superman, called For the Man Who Has Everything.

I really want to read his novels at some point.

I didn't like Arkham Asylum first time round and I still don't, but I won't deny it has some tantalizing ideas and dialogue.

The Joker wrote:
Oh, yes! fill the churches with dirty thoughts! Introduce honesty to the White House! Write letters in dead languages to people you've never met! Paint filthy words on the foreheads of children! Burn your credit cards and wear high heels! Asylum doors stand open! Fill the suburbs with murder and rape! Divine madness! Let there be ecstacy, ecstacy in the streets! Laugh and the world laughs with you!

That and much like in The Dark Knight Returns, there's some hinting at homoerotic fetishism towards Batman on the Joker's part. It's also nice to look at. It's worth a look, yes. I mean, I get the Jungian thing that Morrison goes for, but it all feels off somewhat. I wouldn't consider it his best.

I like the All-Star line so far. I mean, they've only got Batman and Superman at this point. Batman, as I've said, is just a great pisstake, and the Superman stuff is fantastic and the only time I've cared about the character. It all started off allegedly when Morrison figured that, hold on, this guy is the most powerful being on Earth: He'd always be relaxed, no matter what. He takes from the Golden Age and Silver Age tropes, mixes it with some of the more modern mythos like The Death and Return of Superman and builds it all into these great sci-fi tales. I'm quite fond of the series.

Speaking of Morrison, I've said it before, but you really need to give his WE3 a look. It's exquisite at what it does and it's refreshing to see a Western comic understand the kinetic appeal of manga so perfectly. That and it's a positively brilliant story that I enjoy re-reading every fortnight or so. I do hope the film adaptation written by Morrison pulls through.

Also, just to give you people an idea of why I think Jonathan Hickman is one of the most promising new talents in comics, both as a writer and an artist, here's a short piece he did for Marvel's Legion of Monsters series, titled MustDie/EatSoul:

Page one
Page two
Page three
Page four
Page five
Page six
Page seven
Page eight
Page nine
Page ten
Page eleven
Page twelve
Page thirteen

Basically, he took a C-list supervillain and wrote this sweet like origins story out of him. I really, really can't wait until Pax Romana.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Arkham Asylum right when it came out in 1989 (I was 8 ). This lead me to thinking a lot of strange things, but man did I love it.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Harvey seems to recommend Promethea

When Promethea was coming out about 6 years ago I wasn't so good at articulating my opinions, and I had an exchange with my dad that went like this:

Me: I like this comic. The artwork isn't very good though. And the dialogue is rubbish.

Him: HA HA HA WHY THE FUCK DO YOU LIKE IT THEN HA HA HA

Me: ...

Promethea isn't that great a comic (although I did initially really like the setting and characters) but as a big parcel of Alan Moore's incredible ideas on magic and fiction and how the mind works it's completely fascinating. It's too clever for its own good, really. There's some incredible stuff in there.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are all reading Big Numbers as I post it week by week on my blog, right? harveyjames.livejournal.com

Next week I'll be combining the unpublished artwork for the third issue with the unpublished script, for the first time ever! After that, post-mortem, and interviews.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: