The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
daphaknee wrote:
i totally broke big brain academy with my score of 1980, they call me pythagorus now and the worm is like YOU'VE DONE BETTER THAN ME? THIS IS MY GAME!
pythagoras

dude my brain weighs 1980 grams i dont need to know how to spell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more i play that donkey kong game the more it seems designed by checklist. the mechanics are interesting enough that there shouldn't need to be a new gimmick in every stage. i'm also not sure why the game can't stick with a simple island setting; instead there are magic portals to take donkey kong to generic landscapes like the crystal labyrinth and toybox land.

it makes me want to try the gameboy version, actually.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing the original, it seems to have a real problem with aiming attacks, which makes the game very frustrating and is probably the reason i gave up on it. that's unfortunate, because it's much more simple and focused than its sequel. it's possible the problems i'm having are due to the fact i'm playing the game in an emulator, though. has anyone played this?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the DS is a pretty good translation of the title. I find it odd that this is actually being released in the first place, as opposed to a compilation, but so far so good. None of this keeps Motaro from not being a bitch though. Puzzle Kombat drags on as well, with each battle taking a long time being two rounds each, but the ability to play as an SD MK: DA era Baraka is always good times.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dess - i played the king of swing at a time when, if i recall correctly, i was just beginning some sort of horrible subconscious quest for evidence of nintendo's new(?) horrid design philosophy (which, if i still can't quite pass judgment on, i've at least made peace with), and the game had it for me in spades. the core game mechanics seemed to me like they were doing nothing with nothing. it's like- credit for doing something "new," but so much shoulder-button novelty doesn't really amount to much more than navel-gazing at the SNES era, which is just a big bowl of Confused
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems like an interesting way to explore vertical space, which is often neglected in platformers.

i'm still enjoying big brain academy. the big difference between it and brain age, i've decided, is that brain age is interested in routine: it encourages the player to play it once a day, for a few minutes, it encourages the player to work it into her routine. so the game opens up gradually, over the course of a few months, rather than immediately. big brain academy is fully open from the beginning, and leaves the player to work at the game at her own pace. i have gold medals in most of the games at easy and medium (plus a few silvers and bronzes), and my test score is B-.

i've also been replaying new super mario bros., without using the touch screen or visiting any secret stages. i posted this at another forum:

Quote:
i'm actually replaying new super mario bros. right now and i think the level design is great. as in super mario bros. 3, each stage is built around a single concept, and explores it pretty thoroughly. each of those concepts is taken from an earlier mario game, of course, so new super mario bros. is something of a codex of the mario series. there's not a real new idea in the game, except for maybe the size-changing, which isn't implemented very well.

i tried the ds version of super mario 64, because i wanted to revisit the game after finishing super mario galaxy. it's no good. the game isn't letting me play as mario, and half the stars tell me to COME BACK WHEN YOU'RE MARIO. which totally wrecks the playground-like way the goals are laid out. and the controls are awful. i'm going to have to dig up the nintendo 64 version.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some odd reason, I'm still playing Pokemon Pearl and I'm at about 357 hours.

Also playing FFVII for the anniversary and Kingdom Hearts 2. I got freaking stuck on Metroid Prime 2 a few months ago and haven't picked it up since.
Lasa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing Ghost Squad and enjoying it. For anyone that has played Virtua Cop 3, how do the two compare?
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're very different games - Ghost Squad is all about replaying the game through various routes and difficulties, unlocking different items for your soldier to goof around with, while Virtua Cop 3 is a very straightforward arcade gun game where you can press a pedal to go into bullet time and shoot the enemy's bullets for ridiculous points (so ridiculous that it's not too hard to just max out the score by shooting so many enemy bullets in a row).

I'm interested in playing the wii port of Ghost Squad, for sure.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished new super mario bros., started playing super mario 64 on the virtual console. playing super mario galaxy made me want to take another look at it, and the ds version wasn't cutting it. i'm close to done.

i've gotten all gold medals in big brain academy, except for the "compute" exercises, which are silver, and i absolutely can't do better. i have the brain of a film critic (B), which is a step up from sherlock holmes.

the slut informed me that neves apparently doesn't use the "official" tangram shapes. i love it anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing quite a bit of Virtua Fighter 5 Online. I know the inclusion of the first Virtua Fighter in Evolution was because of its 10th anniversary, but I wish they would've snuck it into Online as well. In general, the unlockables aren't that great when compared to 4. I really miss the videos of players doing moves with one hand, and there's just nothing in Online that compares. And after finally filling a disc with orbs all I received was a crappy shirt. Fiddlesticks. Once I run the ol' ethernet cable across a few rooms, I'm going to see just how bad my Lion is when compared with real competition. Humiliation awaits!
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
For some odd reason, I'm still playing Pokemon Pearl and I'm at about 357 hours.

I like Dragon Quest Monster: Joker better despite the always scowling protagonist.

This game is what pokemon wishes it evolved to. Shame on Nintendo for being so lazy.
Neal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone pick up King of Fighters 11?
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, and I'm loving the hell out of it. Great addition to the series.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Gromada for 2 dollars and it's actually pretty neat. It's kind of odd too. It's developed by Buka and published by Bethesda. Apparently "Gromada" means 'a gathering' in Polish. I'm not sure what that has to do with driving a tank around an alien testing ground.

Actually the game is somewhat dull, but it still feels very complete. I also think this is the best pre-rendered sprite art I've seen. Everything is very geometric and clean, it's a good aesthetic response to the technique used in the art making. And there's lot of incidental details like little plants waving back and forth and spores and bubbles floating through the air. Too bad these are probably the strongest features of the game!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is the point of God of War? Just a cinematic exercise in bad-assery?
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, pretty much. also to poop on a whole lot of greek mythos, but in ways i felt were at least somewhat cool.

my disc is fucked and i can't load the montage into the second part of the last battle. i am not really upset about that though.

kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me realize that it has been a while since I've seen a game with so many "you can't walk there" invisible walls.
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, can't sequence break 'em all.

i'm honestly reaching a point where if i can't desequence an action game i'm not so sure about playing it.

Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a little bit of Cave Story again today.

Cave Story is not a Metroidvania.

No, really!

See, a Metroidvania (my definition, anyway) is a "massive map" game where sections only become available once you gain a specific move, ability, or key. Metroid games are like this. So are latter-day Castlevanias. So are most Zelda games, really. I'm going to break with tradition and say that metroidvanias in and of themselves are not necessarily good; usually they're a very linear level structure that's been chopped up and glued back together such that you have to retread familiar ground over and over again. This cyclic structure is a great excuse to hide a bunch of secrets in the walls, or behind super-bomb blocks, or just past hookshot targets. This has not been awesome for a very, very long time.

Cave Story doesn't really do this. You don't need to revisit areas to find secrets you couldn't get because you didn't yet have a certain item. (Maybe once or twice, for really awesome secrets. Not thirty or forty times for energy tanks and pieces of heart.) You aren't constantly being reminded of your limited state. When you realize an amazing new ability like hovering with the machine gun, it's amazing because you had no idea this was even possible. Miyamoto's rule of always showing the player something he can't do yet shits all over the happy surprise of tomorrow in favor of anxious delayed gratification today.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machine gun flying is awesome just for that reason, it's not like you go back to a bunch of suspicious looking open ceilings to check them out. Instead it just suddenly becomes: whee! fly everywhere!
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know back-quoting is passé but I've been out of town and I just want to say to this:
helicopterp wrote:
For a game with such a highly-touted physics engine (and to be fair, I've just finished slogging my way through the canals), the lead character has no real weight to him. It feels much more like I'm piloting a hovering camera.

I'm playing through HL2 for the first time too and it gets better! There is a stage later in the game at which you become acutely aware of your own gravity... if you ever played "the floor is made of lava" as a kid you will have a particular appreciation for it.

By contrast, though, the storytelling doesn't ever seem to get better. It's like... the developers painted this huge portrait of a vast, elaborate post-apocalyptic world, then took a white paintbrush, dragged it right down the middle and said "hey, this is where you get to go." There's a lot going on that doesn't follow the line, or intersects your line only briefly, and it all has its own business to do. You can try to work it out from your narrow view-point but it takes a lot of standing around and gaping at the (beautiful) environment... so the story kind of ends up sitting on the side of your main activity of running from beautiful place to beautiful place and shotgunning zombies.

Me, I despise zombies, but I can understand that spite for the undead is not sufficient character motivation for most people.

I have a separate question for daphknee or anyone who would know. It involves some painful acronyms and I'm sorry. But do you still need to own a PS3 to buy PSX games for the PSP like--gasp--JUMPING FLASH? I very badly want to play that game again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
I have a separate question for daphknee or anyone who would know. It involves some painful acronyms and I'm sorry. But do you still need to own a PS3 to buy PSX games for the PSP like--gasp--JUMPING FLASH? I very badly want to play that game again.

Nope. Just go here.
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't know such a thing as this existed. Thanks, that's great news! I guess I know what I'm doing with my holiday bonus now...

(...and before you go calling me a horrible person for spending my holiday bonus on myself, you should know that I work in a small business and that the owner won't get around to handing out holiday bonuses 'til February.)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so the story kind of ends up sitting on the side of your main activity of running from beautiful place to beautiful place and shotgunning zombies.

well, yes.

of course whether this is a bug or a feature depends on your point of view.

i'm playing some shadowgrounds: survivor to review for dear mr. ryan. the upside is that it's far more well paced than the first game's demo (which is all i played). the downside is that the camera control is annoying as fuck and takes forever to tweak.

but gauntlet on mars with aliens and so many fucking exploding barrels, there are worse things in life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
I know back-quoting is passé

It is emphatically not. I was hoping someone would write back!

Anyway, I'll get back to Half-Life 2 after Bioshock.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
(...and before you go calling me a horrible person for spending my holiday bonus on myself, you should know that I work in a small business and that the owner won't get around to handing out holiday bonuses 'til February.)

I'd be a little upset if you don't, personally. Fred, you deserve it.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Machine gun flying is awesome just for that reason, it's not like you go back to a bunch of suspicious looking open ceilings to check them out. Instead it just suddenly becomes: whee! fly everywhere!

Yeah, area-unlocking abilities need to be fun in and of themselves, not like Donkey Kong 'hey you can do a handstand, NOW YOU CAN TRUNDLE UP THAT SLOPE' 64.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred, i spend my holiday bonus on myself as well, theres nothing to be ashamed of
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
Wow, I didn't know such a thing as this existed.

Wow, Jumping Flash!

They hedge regarding whether or not a PS3 is required, or if you can download it directly to a PSP, oh well, time to do some more reading.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geometry wars on the xbox live arcade is a game i really wanted to like. but the ridiculous amount of special effects noise on the screen makes it impossible for me, at least on my television, to make out where enemies are when the game really gets going, and the 360 pad's control stick makes swivelling to fire in a different direction much too slow.

i'm pleased that geometry wars galaxies for the ds fixes both of these problems: the visual clutter has been much turned down (i don't know if this is the case with the wii version), and the stylus controls make firing in any direction quick and accurate. i was able to break 500,000 points on the included port of "retro evolved", the live arcade game, which i could never approach playing on the xbox.

the main game survives the transition to a stage-based game remarkably well, considering one of the most interesting things about geometry wars is that it's unbroken by stage transitions. the thing with galaxies is that each stage is actually a unique arena that you play in, as you would with "retro evolved", until you die. and there are some neat ones: one i just unlocked gave me one life and no bombs and put me in a big space with ever-larger hordes of enemies coming from all directions.

and yes, by "unlocked" i mean i had to collect doodads dropped by enemies in order to gain access to new stages. but the doodads are in generous supply, and you'll probably get most by meeting score requirements for each stage (bronze, silver and gold), and the stages, so far, have been cheap to unlock - i've never not been able to afford a new stage. you can also unlock new behaviors for your option, which are pricier.

also: master of illusion might be the best piece of software on the ds. it is a collection of magic tricks, and it's so good. the game's divided into tricks which the ds performs with your input - the best part is figuring out how they work - and tricks for you to perform on other people, which are more similiar to penn & teller's unreleased sega cd game than anything else. the game gives you secret instructions on how to perform the tricks, then has you hand the ds to your audience. (there are a few mini-games, too.) it is a very smart piece of software. apparently if you buy off a shelf, and not off a rom download site, it comes with a deck of marked cards.

curiously, it features some reused art from band brothers. band brothers wasn't released in the west; i wonder if master of illusion was released in japan?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with dess on the Geometry Wars issue I'm afraid.

I'll start of by saying this, if you really liked the original Geometry Wars, you probably same joy from the DS version of the game.
I
really enjoyed the visual clutter of the original game. It's what drew me into the game in the first place. This game does indeed turn this down, as dess said, and it turns it down a lot. The grid no longer moves in a sweet wavy fashion, the black holes are just small red circles with small red particles flying into them. The amount of force the black holes have seems to have been turned down too. The game is pretty easy now too, I think I got a score of a billion in the first four minutes of playing.

So, everything dess said is pretty much true, and how you look at that all depends on what type of game you like. I liked the style of the orignal, stuff always happening all around you, the playing field warping in response to explosions and your firing. It was an awesome mess. The DS version just feels kinda hollowed out.

Also, moving with the D-Pad and moving the stylus to fire really killed my hands, and using the buttons for firing is not an option, at all. Only being able to shoot in 8 directions (Unless you count the transition sweep when you go from one button to the next) is no good.

As for the "story mode", dess summed that up really well, so there's no real point in me talking about that.

That's just my look at it though.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the ds version is just for people to feel good about themselves for sucking at geometry wars

argh
Lasa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kane & Lynch turned out to be pretty awesome until it decided it wanted to be a watered down GRAW for the last few levels.
Fragile Alliance is hit or miss, sometimes you will find games where no one wants to betray anyone, going so far as to help out the "team" if they become a cop. On other occasions everyone just ends up killing each other before getting any loot.
The 2 out of 10 times where people are smart about things, it can actually be pretty fun & unique!
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
also: master of illusion might be the best piece of software on the ds.

Yeah, it took about 30 minutes of playing it on my flash card before I decided that I would pretty much have to buy it.

The best thing about Geometry Wars Galaxies is the way they revamped the scoring mechanics for the main single-player mode. Instead of slowly incrementing your multiplier by defeating an exponentially increasing number of enemies, and getting hosed terribly when it resets back to 1x after death, you instead increase your multiplier by picking up the many clouds of "geoms" which appear after you destroy enemies. Each geom you pick up increases the multiplier by one, up to 150x, which creates a very different flow in terms of scoring which I find a lot more satisfying and significantly less frustrating, especially since it takes far less time to get back up to max multiplier on most stages.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Teddy Bear wrote:
The game is pretty easy now too

i think this is a consequence of the game having responsive controls for the first time ever. and though i love the stylus controls, they're painful on my ds fat. (mostly because of the way i have to hold it in order to hit the bomb button, which is a shoulder button.) i'm planning on buying a ds lite this weekend, though, so hopefully that will no longer be a problem.

actually, most of the "story mode" stages have too slow a difficulty curve or are unmemorable, though a few stick out: the ones where you're given a single life, for instance, or the one with the corridors.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i've gotten bored of geometry wars's stage-based mode. probably a consequence of a small amount of content stretched too thin: there's little more content in galaxies than there is in retro evolved, and yet there are so many more stages in galaxies. a few of them are interesting, which is why the game should have only four stages.

some of the larger stages, it's been pointed out, also have slowdown issues on the ds, which makes them impossible to lose. i ended up letting the enemies get me in one stage because it was going on for just too long.

but there's the port of retro evolved, at least, and i'm glad to finally be able to play that game without all the visual clutter. and i have it on a flash card, so as far as i'm concerned this makes up for paying for that unplayable copy of the game on xbox live arcade.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to unlock tricks in master of illusion you need to accumulate magic points. you get magic points by doing tricks or playing minigames. you get ten each time you do that; you need about forty to unlock a new trick, and you can only get eighty points a day.

i don't really have a problem with only being able to see two new tricks a day, though it seems kind of a needless way to pad out the game's content, but every day i need to play through seven tricks i've already seen in order to see two new ones.

this sort of thing makes sense in brain age, where the game is trying to help you cultivate a routine, but it doesn't really make much sense in master of illusion. maybe if you're more intent on rehearsing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Team Fortress 2.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

360 or PC?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I added a lot of your gamertags, people!
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dag, how unfortunate. Well, at least a few of you Gamersquarter people play the PC version. I'll have to keep a look out in the GC Vent community to see if more people play it than I know of.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm terrible at rock band. it seems like harmonix is headed further towards minimizing abstraction, by making a game where people actually sing into a mic and hit drums, while neversoft is headed (as tony hawk did) in the opposite direction: now when two guitar heroes duel, they don't play guitar at each other but use puzzle game sorts of booby traps to mess up the other player. that's a step away from realism and towards videogamey abstraction that doesn't really serve anything. rock band is the opposite and i can't decide if i like it.

i like pain (on the ps3) (aka stair dismount advance).

super stardust seems bland but i'll have to play more of it.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I kinda forgot about this. I wrote up some early Silent Hill Origins impressions

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll back you up on all points, Shaper. The scenery is really pretty though! Especially the asylum lobby.

Oh, and also the asylum is way too huge for the "CROSS THE ZONE FIVE TIMES" 'puzzle' they put in there. The hospital's "collect and assemble" deal was cute and quick, but with those dead cow monsters and all the invisible inmates in the asylum it's a real, real pain in the ass. At least your fists are a pretty effective weapon in 0rigins, I guess Travis got into a lot of barfights or something.

I have not gotten to play past the asylum as I was borrowing both PSP and game.

JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i'm terrible at rock band. it seems like harmonix is headed further towards minimizing abstraction, by making a game where people actually sing into a mic and hit drums.

Karaoke Revolution has been out for a long time, so I'm not sure what this step away is supposed to be. It's a lot easier to turn singing or hitting the drums into a video game due to the technology involved and the number of inputs required to simulate the actual act of doing either. That it's so difficult to turn playing the guitar into a video game without simplifying the inputs considerably doesn't seem to be anything more than a concession to the player, if anything.

(basically, I think you're reading into this a bit too deeply, dess)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe. i havn't played a lot of rhythm games, i just think guitar hero III and rock band merit comparison, since they're both more or less follow-ups to guitar hero. i decided, incidentally, that rock band is a lot less ugly than guitar hero, and ditches those terrible character designs and hollow attempts at rock and roll humor that make the earlier games so grating.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
Oh, and also the asylum is way too huge for the "CROSS THE ZONE FIVE TIMES" 'puzzle' they put in there. The hospital's "collect and assemble" deal was cute and quick, but with those dead cow monsters and all the invisible inmates in the asylum it's a real, real pain in the ass. At least your fists are a pretty effective weapon in 0rigins, I guess Travis got into a lot of barfights or something.

I have not gotten to play past the asylum as I was borrowing both PSP and game.

Yeah, I didn't even mention how the dark side of silent hill went from something dark and foreboding that seemed to happen for some unknown reason, to something that makes sense and is only used as for puzzle purposes.

The more I think about it the less I am actually interested in playing it.
JasonMoses wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
i'm terrible at rock band. it seems like harmonix is headed further towards minimizing abstraction, by making a game where people actually sing into a mic and hit drums.

Karaoke Revolution has been out for a long time, so I'm not sure what this step away is supposed to be.

You know--as a bit of an aside--I've always hated every Karaoke game because actual Karaoke is NOT about score. I mean, sure it's pretty awesome when that guy actually sounds like Sting, but mostly it's just about having fun, and probably being drunk while doing it. When ever anyone tries to get me involved in a Karaoke game I make sure that they know before hand I refuse to play for score and if they get competitive that I will stop playing. I have no fun at all when score + singing is involved because I suck at both in those games (meaning I either have to hum the pitch to get a good score, or sing and fail, and I'd rather sing and fail).

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rock band is fast approach nintendogs like levels of heterotopic mirage.

on the other hand, maybe preventing people from getting up and starting bands isn't a bad thing after all. Smile
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
on the other hand, maybe preventing people from getting up and starting bands isn't a bad thing after all. Smile

It eliminates those with low ambition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 48 of 85

Jump to: