The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everything I know about FPS games I learned from John Romero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rero, I totally played all of those games!

I played the (very generous) demo of Montezeum's Return eons ago (on a PCPP coverdisk) but pretty much every review slammed it. I guess they had some valid points; the save system sucked and combat was pretty stupid (your legs and fists looked like logs), but damn if it wasn't a fun game. Totally gives me Jumping Flash vibes. In fact, the game is pretty much Jumping Flash crossed with Tomb Raider. I had fun with it!

Robinson's Requiem isn't worth checking out since Deus does pretty much everything better. It's still hilariously broken, but it's somewhat playable. I have a thing for survival games (this includes rougelikes) so I dug it, but it's so hilariously unforgiving that it's impossible to take the game seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still play TF2, but none of my friends really play it any more.
=(
Slonie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report from the thanksgiving holiday:

Call of Duty 4 is evil. The lure of the ever-increasing numbers is no joke; I intentionally never tried WOW due to its ability to destroy lives, but little did I know a plain-old FPS would get me the same way...
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got it. So yes. Even though I'll get my ass kicked.

(Edit: That's an answer to the team fortress 2 question.)
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracko and i are hi-jacking this thread to talk about infinity, right dracko?

Ok, so basically, I think each Marathon game starts in a different reality. In Marathon 1, Durandal skips the universe after abandoning you on the ship, in Marathon 2 it's in a reality where he instead took you with him, and at the end of the game he fails to find what he's looking for, destined to continue searching in vein till the eventual end of time, always having a grip on the players soul. Marathon Infinity starts in a new reality where he failed to contact the S'pht'Kr and Tycho is still alive, and the Pfhor are about to do something royally stupid.

However, I think the reality of the original game is re-visisted in Infinity, where (as a result of being left behind in marathon) you are captured by the Pfhor forces that sacked the Tau Ceti colony shortly after Durandal ran off. If it doesn't seem obvious enough at first, Durandal even addresses you as "old friend" when you join forces with him later in the game. This is why you end up working with Tycho for most of the game.

This theory of mine hasn't been popular with other fans of the game, apparently they feel a little betrayed by the fact? I don't know, but it seems to make them angry when I suggest it! Yet they can never provide evidence that says otherwise.

Anyway, basically you're finding a safe passage through time, taking bits and pieces from each reality you need in order to create a new one that escapes the chaos that envelopes all the others, until there is finally only two left that are merged into one. I think the final ELECTRIC SHEEP level symobolises this, where you are finally able to go through that door that was locked all this time (hello killer 7), and you must climb two staircases (two paths) in order to reach the final one path which leads directly to the exit.

And in one of the greatest (and sadly few) moments of irony in videogames, we find what Durandal was looking for all this time, while he recieves something perhaps greater; peace of mind.

Quote:
Cycle wrote:
Oh yeah, and I need to mention Tycho. He's probably the greatest villian in any game, he's almost as interesting as Durandal.

One of the things that occurred to me was that they weren't all that different, in tone or attitude.

This is very true, the Tycho we talk to through the series is very similar Durandal as he was in his Anger stage. Whilst Durandal manages to grow and mature into the final stage of rampancy (jealously) and even becomes seemingly stable (aside from threating to teleport you into space if you screw around too much), Tycho doesn't seem to break out of the Anger stage, or perhaps his jealousy stage is worse then Durandal's since he's not jealous of humans, but of Durandal?

Tycho wrote:
Now that my brother approaches, we will set about turning everything against him, Hamlet and his uncle, only I'm not crazy.

This is what makes them truly different; their obsessions. While Durandal is obsessed with escaping death and the end of time, Tycho is purely obsessed with taking revenge on Durandal and destroying him by any means possible. I think this is what makes Tycho appear more insane than Durandal; it's just his seething hatred and himself.

Quote:
My understanding is that it's a being of awesome power, and likely responsible for the player's leaps through all the alternative scenarios. Maybe the dreams were its own? Anyway, it's a chaotic force which can rewrite reality, whether consciously or not. It's a massive impediment to the character's free will, more so than the AIs. Yet it might not even be a conscious entity. If the player is destiny (I saw the ending elsewhere afterwards), then what does that make the W’rkncacnter? I don't think the player ends up free as a result.

This is really interesting, I never really thought of the W'rkncacnter as anything but the being of chaos that threatens the universe. Yet, the dreams DO take place moments before it is released. Perhaps it's a member of the Jjaro race?

It's widely considered that Thoth is the one guiding the player through realties, though I think it may be the subconcious of the player, and the dreams and mad man rants are the results of the Jjaro technology working through the human mind. After all, wouldn't there be strange side effects from such advanced technology, such as distorting distant memories?

This leads to another interesting thought; the player is now a slave to their own subconcious. Perhaps I was wrong in assuming the game aimed to use the mind to free the player and it's actually saying that we are all a slave to something, even our own minds, like Tycho is ruled by his hate. Then again, it's the subconcious that eventually leads the player to freedom from Durandal, death and fate? I HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THIS. This will delay my article for another four months.

Regarding if the player is Destiny... it's been suspected that Durandal, Thoth and the player form a Trinity of sorts, though I can't remember the roles of the other two.

Last edited by Cycle on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

durandal wrote:
one word; two syllables; rhymes with psycho.

Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing about Tycho is that he really doesn't think he's insane (or trying to convince himself that he's not).

Durandal, on the other hand, is very aware and proud of it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Marathon series Wikiquote page. Sad

Oh yeah, I got an updated version of Aleph and now the "cutscenes" work fine.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would change this, but I vowed never to contributed anything to wikipedia ever again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
There is no Marathon series Wikiquote page. Sad

You Mac daddies better fix this pronto.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because fuck wikipedia, that's why >:O

Besides, we have the story page.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Wikipedia make you cry?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHUT UP

JUST

SHUT UP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but how do you really feel?
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone who contributes to Wikipedia beat you up and steal your lunch money, Cycle?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracko why aren't you discussing the marathon story with me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I want to know why you hate Wikipedia.

I don't see how the player becoming Destiny is liberating, though. I never thought that was the point. If anything, such an acknowledgement on Durandal's part, who does seem to get a few ideas about the player's perpetual jumps in realities later in the third game, could indicate that in the end, you were a tool to something far, far bigger than his whims, and in the end, he was just as subservient to its purposes as you were. You just caught sight of it before he did.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it was the Jjaro pulling you through? Ultimately, you end up with the same power they have; to traverse space and time (they even had technolgy that could warp entire planets through star systems) and it was their techonlogy the player is supposedly built from, and the station the game begins on (and which starts sending you through time) is of Jjaro creation. They dissapeared from the universe long ago, and one can assume that the player joined them.

It's been confirmed that, ultimately, by the end of the game the player has become a god.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How so? All I did was contain Dread W'rkncacnter using alien tech and then Durandal started waxing poetics again.

Then again, I'm sure I've missed out on so many plot points. I'm going through the series again, and the implications behind the player's creation have gone unnoticed.

Also IS THE ENDING OF HALO 3 THE START OF MARATHON???
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
How so? All I did was contain Dread W'rkncacnter using alien tech and then Durandal started waxing poetics again.

The implications behind the characters creation are actually rather subtle, aside from a few comments from Durandal, especially towards (and in the end) of Infinity. It's also important to know of the players past which is documented in a few terminals (and possible in the dreams?)

Anyway, Durandal had always thought that escaping the end of the universe would make him a god, and heard that the Jjaro had such technology from the S'pht he liberated in the original game.

The player is jumping from a number of possible futures trying to find the path (eat the path) that will allow him to survive the cataclysm on Lh'owon, and unite him with 11th clan in a way that Durandal never could. How the player is able to do this jumping has to do with the unique interaction between Jjaro technology and sentient creatures. (that's from an interview with Kirkpatrick).

So, in short, by the end of the game I'm guessing one would join the 11th Clan (not the Jjaro as a previously mentioned, though they still might be the ones guiding you) in the place they escaped to via the Jjaro techology, free from the rules of the universe and chaos (I'm guessing) making them immortal, plus, being able to jump through realities and create new ones is kinda a god-like ability.

See, the Infinity plot is deliberately left open-ended and lots of this is guess work.

Quote:
Also IS THE ENDING OF HALO 3 THE START OF MARATHON???

NO, DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THIS CRAP.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hey, I wouldn't mind reading some of those interviews, if you have them at hand. Any man that calls his cats Hastur and Grendel can't be bad in my book.

I constantly keep feeling like I miss terminals and the Story page agrees. Sad

HEY MAN MAYBE HALO 4 WILL BE A WACKED OUT REMAKE OF THE MARATHON SERIES
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been planning on making a collection of all the interviews and messages Kirkpatrick posted around, he had some brilliant ideas, especially when it came to the art of videogames.

I also have a zip file full of stuff regarding Duality (the follow-up game) that I was going to post later.

It's easy to miss terminals! Did you visit any of the failed endings, by the by? The fact that you can reach these seems to me that the player has more control over his travels than initially thought.

HALO TAKES PLACE IN A DIFFERENT UNIVERSE, THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY CONTRADICTIONS CHRIST ALMIGHTY

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually didn't. Which surprised even me because I expected to backtrack at least once during my first playthrough.

Does that mean that the series is unfinished, then? Also, should I play Blood Tides of Lh'owon? I don't even know if it's freely available, actually.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the series is finished, Duality was a brand new game unrelated to Marathon.

Blood Tides of Lh'owon is Marathon Infinty. It's the official name of the games scenerio.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see.

You mention that the player is allowed to survive even beyond the end of reality, something Durandal aspired to. Though he achieves some measure of peace, are we to understand this is not a privilege he enjoys? Because that puts quite a spin on those final words.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I don't see how the player becoming Destiny is liberating, though. I never thought that was the point. If anything, such an acknowledgement on Durandal's part, who does seem to get a few ideas about the player's perpetual jumps in realities later in the third game, could indicate that in the end, you were a tool to something far, far bigger than his whims, and in the end, he was just as subservient to its purposes as you were.

i think this is actually the game commenting on its nature as a game, that the player has the ability to replay battles until she survives, to move through time (via save and restore), to cheat death and to ultimately attain the proper ending regardless of the odds or enemies in her way. in this way, the player is destiny; she is the driving force of the game's narrative.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or she has its backing, in any case. It's the designing principle.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the script is written, but the player makes sure it's played out to its end. hence, destiny.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
You mention that the player is allowed to survive even beyond the end of reality, something Durandal aspired to. Though he achieves some measure of peace, are we to understand this is not a privilege he enjoys? Because that puts quite a spin on those final words.

I think it's more that he's simply accepted his fate and travelled the universe enjoying the time he had left. Thoth probably had a hand in this, since they were now one.

He probably had a great view of the end of the universe. Didn't even have to reserve a table!

I've heard the stuff about saving and such at a few places, I'm not really down with that theory.

Here are some screens of Duality:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I've heard the stuff about saving and such at a few places, I'm not really down with that theory.

NOT CANON

stop being such a geek. this isn't black and white, and there are probably a number of different things going on here.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah there is a difference between saying "i'm not down with that theory" and THIS IS WRONG YOU'RE AN IDIOT, dess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it isn't a "theory" like marathon's plot is some kind of science we're doing research into. i'm giving my interpretation of my experience of the game, not presenting a thesis!

you big geek!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say potatoe, i say whatever the other way is, geez!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa now, what is this Duality business?

Also I'm playing Hexen 2. For me this game is probably the highpoint of Id's designed-in-the-margins-of-a-highschool-notebook-adolescent-high-fantasy aesthetic. I love the black wizards with their cow skull masks and the fact that you throw the devil horns to cast magic missile.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing Hexen 2 and having a good time, but all the reviews I read gave it a bit of a whipping. Can't remember why...
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dess thanks, you just helped me put together a perfect conclusion. glad that's out the way!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Also I'm playing Hexen 2. For me this game is probably the highpoint of Id's designed-in-the-margins-of-a-highschool-notebook-adolescent-high-fantasy aesthetic.

Surely you mean Raven not Id.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've talked about Half-Life being really sort of the actual successor to Doom's design ethos. Well, uh. In both its design and its attitude, Portal reminds the hell out of me of Doom. Except sophisticated in that way that books and movies and albums get when they only really exist to amuse the person writing them and that person just happens to have very high standards for self-amusement. I don't know what it is about Valve that can make it seem like videogames have actually been progressing for he last fifteen years, but they manage it.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric-Jon, we're all doing IRONIC SHOUTING like Daphaknee does, WHY AREN'T YOU DOING IT
parkbench

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an ARGUMENT on THE GAMER'S QUARTER

NO

WHERE WILL I GO FOR PEACE AND QUIET
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOW ABOUT ERIC-JON'S DR. WHO THREAD
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Lackey wrote:
Also I'm playing Hexen 2. For me this game is probably the highpoint of Id's designed-in-the-margins-of-a-highschool-notebook-adolescent-high-fantasy aesthetic.

Surely you mean Raven not Id.

Oops! The presence of the Quake engine muddled my brain.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Lackey, I make the mistake often. Hexen is my favorite game of that generation too, so my friends always have a field day when I say something like, "The best Id game is Hexen, by far!"
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game has pretty tight art direction and pretty odd level design. Like the more fantastical areas have a real sense of place (the wizard's study in the first area) but like King's Court is supposed to be a town but it's mostly just huge spaces encircled by walls with randomly one shop in the middle. So I'd say they were good at making individual places, like a butcher's shop, but not thinking of a way to tie them together.

The object interactivity is pretty good for a game of its time. Also I like punching everything as a Paladin. Punch, punch, punch! Walls collapse beneath my gauntlets! Awesome! They should have taken that even further.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the avatar from, Lackey?
Slonie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to figure out a way to get Space Hulk into this discussion. Lackey's avatar kind of reminds me of it, anyhow. The PC version that is. The 3DO version is a whole nother can of (awesome) worms.

And I will get back to the rest of the story about Shadow Ops soon, I promise. It's much more interesting than the game itself...
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Where's the avatar from, Lackey?

I made it with graphics from Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures.
I had a version that went umber hulk, purple worm, necromancer, black dragon, but the file was too big.

This Space Hulk? I played it once and was very confused trying to figure it out. I thought it was curious though being such a tightly focused setting. I mean it's all on a ship, and one kind of enemy?
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more than one Space Hulk game?

Which one was on the saturn?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
There's more than one Space Hulk game?

Which one was on the saturn?

That'd be the "3DO one". I'm calling it that because it was the first platform it appeared on, much like 3DO Road Rash. It also appeared on the PC and I suppose Saturn and PSX too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 10 of 23

Jump to: