The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mario Galaxy Quest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Mario Galaxy Quest Reply with quote

This is a highly charming game.

I love the "P2 Shotgun Mode"... while it's not perfect in practice (P2 has to deal with the changing camera angle, and the cursor might distract P1) it's a brilliant idea, and very well done. Summary for those who don't know:

Both P1 and P2's Wiimote can act in pointermode w/ a crosshair that can fire "star bits" at enemies, stunning most minor enemies. Plus the same cursor can gather the Bits from on screen. So it's great because A. it lets a spectator be a little more than a spectator, B. but it's not really needed, so solo players aren't screwed, C. by letting P2 gather the ammo, they don't have to nag P1 to run Mario into it D. Most enemies that are stunnable/destroyable this way yield 3 or so Bits, so it encourages people to go ahead and use it.

I'm also grooving on how much retro music is in this game, it's a real treat for long term fans of the series. Most notably for me, the "Underworld" theme from SMB and the Bowser level music from Mario 64. I guess there's a downside, that maybe it's not making enough original music, but maybe that fear is unfounded.

The core "Little Prince Mario" works well. It's interesting to think about it in the context of a post-Wario Ware world; I think the isolated worlds encourage a bit of minigame type thinking, all within the context of the same core phsycis model, and that's some of the real strength of this game.

Sometimes I worry that the game is "too easy", but then I'm wondering why I would worry about that. Mario is no longer the series to give you a hard time. Like that one interview said, it's there to give you a lovely experience.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the consenus on this game? People are kind of talking about it like they're taking it for granted now. Sort of as if it's not a game that needed to exist, if you catch my drift.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it for idon'thaveitbecausetargetdidnothavewiissoiboughtanxboxinstead

but i'm sure it's darling

and i don't mean that in a sarcastic or bad way
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not out here yet.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it the day it comes out, because I kinda want a reason to have a Wii again.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i posted some of my thoughts on super mario galaxy in this thread.

on the one hand it's a step up from super mario sunshine because the premise (floating platforms and planetoids in space) allows exactly that kind of abstract videogame platforming that's so important to the super mario series, and the game does a lot with the fact that gravity is no longer fixed. it's probably the most 3d platformer ever developed. (and i like the way the game's setpiece-to-setpiece design allows for straight 2d platforming to be worked into the mix too.)

on the other hand, a lot of it's filler. the hub world is just a series of doors, in contrast to mario 64's castle, which connects all the stages (and many secrets) in a logical way. the new "princess" character doesn't seem to exist for any reason, since peach is still absent and must still be rescued. and there's a lot of text (more towards the beginning), either to explain mechanics that the player should be able to figure by playing or to fill in the backstory (which is the same backstory as every other super mario game).

(bosses are also repeated, and they're not particularly interesting the first time around.)

the spin attack works surprisingly well. i assume the developers chose to give mario a non-directional attack because the perspective of the game varies so much. picking up trinkets with the pointer is also better than i expected, mostly because it gives the player something to do during the gorgeous flying scenes when mario is out of her control.

(oh, and swimming isn't very good. the swimming stages tend to be the least interesting, too, because they're based around large, open areas rather than flying from setpiece to setpiece.)

i feel that the game gets respectably difficult towards the end. and i appreciate that mario's health has been trimmed to three hits (and coins made rarer), making for that much tighter a game. they also added checkpoints to minimize backtracking, which they can really only do because the game is much more linear than previous 3d marios. that makes it a bit closer to the original super mario bros., which is definitely a good thing.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want it
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty wonderful. The hub world is indeed completely forgettable; however, the level design is generally fantastic and the combination of that with a revamped Mario move set and a pretty good camera system means that it's great fun to just run around like a maniac and try and pull off various acrobatic maneuvers for the sheer joy of it all.

To make an inane historical comparision, I'd say that this is Super Mario World to 64's Super Mario Bros.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Super Mario 64 is more exploration-based and this is more challenge-based, right? So that comparison doesn't really work.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
What's the consenus on this game? People are kind of talking about it like they're taking it for granted now. Sort of as if it's not a game that needed to exist, if you catch my drift.

My friend shotgunned for a bit. he said it was more of the same, just more gimmicks. to be honest i had trouble registering that as a criticism. Many small, new interactions, that's what I expect to see in a mario game and that's what I get from this.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get about 70 stars (the linear way) the game starts to get VERY respectable in the difficulty department.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNixon wrote:
Once you get about 70 stars (the linear way) the game starts to get VERY respectable in the difficulty department.

Yeesh, I'm only around 30 stars in, and there have been some of the fights and boards I've found to be difficult. But I appreciate that the design is supportive, and Game Overs have been rare. Yeah, it means challenges tend to get foreshadowed with that 6-health 'shroom and/or extra guys, but still.

I agree with Dess points that feeding hungry guys only "counts" when you're in the right aiming mode and the same 5-Up letter again and again are both lame.

My question is, why does the letter let you refuse a 5-up? Most of the circumstances I can think of for that being a useful are pretty contrived. (For a bit, I thought if I declined "now" they would be in some kind of future stockpile, but I guess not.)
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
DaleNixon wrote:

Yeesh, I'm only around 30 stars in, and there have been some of the fights and boards I've found to be difficult. But I appreciate that the design is supportive, and Game Overs have been rare. Yeah, it means challenges tend to get foreshadowed with that 6-health 'shroom and/or extra guys, but still.

I agree with Dess points that feeding hungry guys only "counts" when you're in the right aiming mode and the same 5-Up letter again and again are both lame.

My question is, why does the letter let you refuse a 5-up? Most of the circumstances I can think of for that being a useful are pretty contrived. (For a bit, I thought if I declined "now" they would be in some kind of future stockpile, but I guess not.)

Maybe it's just for hard cases who think the extra lives will make the game too easy.

Kirkjerk wrote:
My friend shotgunned for a bit. he said it was more of the same, just more gimmicks. to be honest i had trouble registering that as a criticism. Many small, new interactions, that's what I expect to see in a mario game and that's what I get from this.

Funny, because time was each new proper Mario game would completely reinvent the genre. and change the way people thought about designing videogames thereafter. It's interesting that all it took was 10 years and Mario Sunshine to get people's expectations for a new Mario game down to 'many small, new interactions'.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Funny, because time was each new proper Mario game would completely reinvent the genre. and change the way people thought about designing videogames thereafter. It's interesting that all it took was 10 years and Mario Sunshine to get people's expectations for a new Mario game down to 'many small, new interactions'.

You think?
I don't see how, say, Super Mario World is that much more to SMB3 than Galaxies is to Sunshine or Mario 64.
SMB and Mario 64 roughly invented their genres.
SMB2 added... what, multiple characters? Better graphics and music?
SMB3 added a world map, suits, some epic feel, but maybe that's just the music.
SMW added Yoshi. And too many damn buttons.

I haven't been keeping track of the handheld games.

IFor me, "reinventing the genre" is making a new playstyle. That doesn't happen very often, and it didn't happen very often in the 8- and 16-bit eras either.

EDIT: And another thing! I think 3D and its "many small new interactions" is more compelling than 2D which tended to be more "many small new levels". There seems to be more new stuff from scratch. I tend to measure innovation in thinking about who in a higher % of work to make something new: a writer and artist, or a designer and coder. If it's all the former, you get RPGs w/ the same engine and just a new story. If it's the latter, you are more likely to get something original in a more meaningful way.

Last edited by kirkjerk on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the more I think about it, Dess is right; princess Rosalina or whatever the hell her name is is pretty gratuitous. I like that she looks like "Emo Princess". Also her one line of dialog when she's starting to read her damn storybook (well done story, actually, though I'm not sure how it ties into everything) makes her sound like she's 45 yr old deep alto.

Nintendo does that sometimes. one off characters who don't seem destined for the "stable". Like that Dicehead Toad in Mario Party 3, who was immediately replaced by someone even more unforgettable.

I guess villains might have more staying power.

EDIT: another thing that makes me wonder-- I know I'm not playing Mario for the narrative structure, but it's kind of weird how the same band of mushroom people explorers and their little space ship keep showing up on all the different Galaxies. (It took me a bit to realize I was seeing the same ship and not different ones each time.) It's creeping me out, Mario is not just flying through space, but apparently looping through time.

And as long as I'm beeing grumpy geek, I'm a little annoyed at a few chunks of floating space junk constituting a "galaxy" and not a solar system or planetoid or whatever.

Still,I find this game insanely compelling. The way it doles out new places to go see and lightly challenges without being too cruel about it is addictive as all get out.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

You think?
I don't see how, say, Super Mario World is that much more to SMB3 than Galaxies is to Sunshine or Mario 64.

Yes but ah ha ha you see, I didn't define what I meant by a 'proper' new Mario game. See I don't consider SMB2 to be one because it's just a rejig of Doki Doki Panic. Also I don't consider Super Mario World one because shut up. Seriously though Super Mario World standardized the model we now have for these types of games where completion of the game happens over several sessions, not just one, and for good or for ill it shifted the mainstream gaming landscape away from the 'completing the game in one sitting or not at all' era, permanently. It also had that whole 'switches changing already-visited levels' thing, so for the first time the levels were designed to be played multiple times in one run-through. It's a big shift from Super Mario Bros 3 (and pretty much every game of its type that came before it) in the way you're meant to play it.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
But Super Mario 64 is more exploration-based and this is more challenge-based, right? So that comparison doesn't really work.

Not in that sense, no. I meant more aesthetically. Compared to Sunshine, it just feels more 'proper' in many areas, including the controls.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

Yes but ah ha ha you see, I didn't define what I meant by a 'proper' new Mario game. See I don't consider SMB2 to be one because it's just a rejig of Doki Doki Panic.

I've always been a big fan of SMB2. And Zelda 2. And Yoshi's Story.

Hell, I clearly don't know anything.
Quote:
Also I don't consider Super Mario World one because shut up. Seriously though Super Mario World standardized the model we now have for these types of games where completion of the game happens over several sessions, not just one, and for good or for ill it shifted the mainstream gaming landscape away from the 'completing the game in one sitting or not at all' era, permanently. It also had that whole 'switches changing already-visited levels' thing, so for the first time the levels were designed to be played multiple times in one run-through. It's a big shift from Super Mario Bros 3 (and pretty much every game of its type that came before it) in the way you're meant to play it.

Hmm. I'm not entirely sold but I see what you're getting at. Though I'd argue ... I dunno, Mega Man 2, or maybe even Metroid, do as much or more for the "games you don't play in one sitting".

One thing Mario started that not enough games have taken up (which I guess doesn't mean much then for the "genre defining" argument) is giving you more game than you need. SMB had some suggestion of this with the warps, but SMB2 and then even more clearly SMB3 started saying "play these levels, or don't - you can still see it through" . Most designers are more anxious to ensure you see all the content they put so much hard work into, plus a few easter eggs held back for the hardcore.

While each level in a Mario game is a bit too "game-y" to be a good sandbox (with the possible exception of the initial joy of running around the castle courtyard in Mario 64, and then maybe learning to fly...) the "more content than you need" aspect gets repeated with sandbox games, especially my favorite series GTA. (The other thing I love about GTA and Mario is that both generally shun leveling up. You're pretty much the same character with the same verb options at the beginning as at the end, it's the player that's gotten smarter in the game world.)

Getting back to your point about switches that change an already visited level... I dunno. To be honest I don't remember that aspect much about SMW, and I can't think of too many examples that followed in their footsteps.

Anyway, in summary, I don't think Mario Galaxies does less to forward the genre than any other Mario that wasn't tied into a qualitative leap in hardware (NES from the 2600-ish era allowed SMB, N64 from the Genesis-ish era allowed Mario 64) But just because I'm not a big picture thinker, what are some other games that you feel are the best examples of redefining their respective genre? (And I'm not trying to challenge the idea of genre-making games, just trying to get the context.)
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bit about leveling up makes me wonder... is there any game with a reverse levelup? Where you start out badass, and then have to cope with fewer and fewer powers, until at the end you're a mere mortal, and maybe have to cope with a problem in a human way?

If not, why not?

(First GC Metroid had just a hint of that, but the let down was quick, and then the grind was the build back up. A game like this might help explain that old cliche of always resetting, powerup wise.)
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2003 there was a few 2d Resident Evil knockoffs. One of them started you with all of the ammo that's in the game and when it's gone it's gone. I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extrabastardformula wrote:
In 2003 there was a few 2d Resident Evil knockoffs. One of them started you with all of the ammo that's in the game and when it's gone it's gone. I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

Hey, that actually sounds pretty cool. Can you remember what the game was called?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

I've always been a big fan of SMB2. And Zelda 2. And Yoshi's Story.

Hell, I clearly don't know anything.

That's ok dude, they're great games!

kirkjerk wrote:
[Getting back to your point about switches that change an already visited level... I dunno. To be honest I don't remember that aspect much about SMW, and I can't think of too many examples that followed in their footsteps..

Well, just any game that uses a space as an area to be visited many times under changed circumstances and conditions, rather than just having each level be useful once per game. So at one extreme end you've got SMB1 where the levels are designed to just be something to get through before you move on to the next one, never looking back, and at the other extreme end you've got Mario 64 where each level is a sprawling playground, to be visited at your leisure on your terms and explored the way you want, with many incentives to keep you coming back to it during a single playthrough of the game. Mario World wasn't the first game to do this, but it was the first big leap in standardizing it and saying 'this is what games should be now'.

kirkjerk wrote:
Anyway, in summary, I don't think Mario Galaxies does less to forward the genre than any other Mario that wasn't tied into a qualitative leap in hardware (NES from the 2600-ish era allowed SMB, N64 from the Genesis-ish era allowed Mario 64) But just because I'm not a big picture thinker, what are some other games that you feel are the best examples of redefining their respective genre? (And I'm not trying to challenge the idea of genre-making games, just trying to get the context.)

I.. don't know? Street Fighter II? Definitely Quake/Doom for popularizing online deathmatch and facilitating the birth of the modding scene. I dunno, I'm no expert!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

super mario bros. 2 / doki doki panic (if we consider them to be essentially the same game) is about the physics of game objects, whereas the original super mario bros. is about the physics of the player character. i think what super mario bros. 3 does is shift the focus of the stages from obstacle courses to themes; each stage is built around a single concept. (new super mario bros. follows in this trend.)

mario bros. 3 introduces the world map, inspired by a board game, as a way of organizing the stages; super mario world expands it into a game itself, where paying attention to the map is key to finding one's way through the game. super mario 64 expanded its "map" into a world of its own, with the same physics and mechanics as every other stage (and thus a way to teach those physics and mechanics to the player while she's safely out of danger's reach.)

super mario 64's stages are, in fact, worlds in themselves, big 3d playgrounds (because you couldn't organize a 2d platformer like this), and thus it makes sense to have them connected by a hub that keeps all stages available at all times. super mario galaxy's stages aren't playgrounds: they go from point A to point B, and resemble the original super mario's side-scrolling stages more than super mario 64's wide open playgrounds. so i think galaxy's hub world is vestigal, which is why it's probably so insubstantial.

i think this game would have benefitted from being completely linear, but i don't think it's in nintendo's current design philosophy to do so.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good analysis, Dess.

Why linear, though? I kind of like the flexibility. Plus I can show off any level in particular....
Lackey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be interested in galaxy but mario is so much of a brand now that I find it kind of off-putting.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Why linear, though?

well, the shape of the game should reflect the shape of the stages. in mario 64, each stage is a bunch of stars scattered around a wide area in different directions. so it makes sense for the game world to be a bunch of stages scattered around a wide area in different directions. in galaxy, nearly every stage is about going from point A to point B, like in the original super mario bros. (there are secrets hidden along the way, but in the same way that the original hides a magic vine in the occasional block.) so it would make more sense for the game world itself to be a string of stages leading from point A to point B.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I want to be interested in galaxy but mario is so much of a brand now that I find it kind of off-putting.

Branding can be art too, ask Andy Warhol and Nigo (A Bathing Ape).
dark steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask them what?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:
Why linear, though?

well, the shape of the game should reflect the shape of the stages. in mario 64, each stage is a bunch of stars scattered around a wide area in different directions. so it makes sense for the game world to be a bunch of stages scattered around a wide area in different directions. in galaxy, nearly every stage is about going from point A to point B, like in the original super mario bros. (there are secrets hidden along the way, but in the same way that the original hides a magic vine in the occasional block.) so it would make more sense for the game world itself to be a string of stages leading from point A to point B.

I do bow to your analysis of what each Mario brings to the table but disagree with the premise "the shape of the game should reflect the shape of the stages". Besides the obvious conveniences of postponing a troublesome stage or returning to a favorite, a linear structure would imply a continuity between the stages/galaxies that just isn't there. Any further ordering (besides having to unlock the missions *within* each Galaxy in fairly strict order.)

In thinking about the "free map world" issue, it seems like in Mario 64 it was open but there was a pretty significant "chunking", with each Bowser battle board demarcating a third of the game roughly. So I'd say that's a hint of the good ol' "linearity" peeking through.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
mario bros. 3 introduces the world map, inspired by a board game,

dess stop stealing my material

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not talking about marathon
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
ask them what?

Ask them if branding can be art. I meant it rhetorically, because just the mention of their names proves that branding can be art. I don't actually want you to go and ask them. You'd have a job, since one of them doesn't speak english and the other's dead.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brand can be art, but it doesn't make the collection of signs without referents that the franchise has become any less awkward. Everything from question blocks to the character designs in mario was originally functional and invented for a specific purpose but these things have become entrenched symbols without meaning.

It's icky in the way that every Disney character living together in some kind of weird metaverse at Disneyland is.

I think Mario going to the Mario Bahamas in a Mario DC-10 in Mario Sunshine is what put me over the edge.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wonder if there's some group of fandom trying to put every frickin' Mario game into a consistent world. (At least SMB2 hands over the "it's all a dream" interpretation from the outset, or rather the ending.) (Oops forgot my SPOILER warning)

Seeing Peach's castle get taken away (in a pretty cool scene, actually) reminds me of how odd it is that its environment always changes-- from the spartan surroundings, to the almost ret-connable cameo in Mario Kart 64, to Mario Galaxies where you see the whole damn Toad town.

It's fun (if ultimately silly and pointless) to think about an effort to shoe-horn a 2D game's universe (like, say, Metroid) into a (very skinny, apparently) subset of a larger 3D space.

Kind of like that one art piece with the Pac-Man ghost gazing "transdimensionally" into our world by virtue of not having his eyes centered and not in one of the 4 usual directions.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been of the opinion that the world of Mario was really inspired placeholder art. Bizarre and meaningless so that ultimately it wouldn't distract from the gameplay, it would just disappear.

Unfortunately along the way someone decided that Mario should have a mythology. This is what really puts me off of Sunshine and Galaxy. Unless the self-satire is so subtle that I've completely missed it.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuzdu wrote:
Unless the self-satire is so subtle that I've completely missed it.

play paper mario and you'll want to believe it's there that much more?

(i have unqualified affection for thousand year door the way dess does for the original; i think i'll wait until gamecube is better emulated to replay it. that'll be nice)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've spent quite a bit of time and effort qualifying my affection for paper mario, thank you very much.

i'm planning on replaying the thousand year door at some point, too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't do any of the Mario RPGs, because I don't like RPGs. But I kind of interested in the idea of the Marioverse. Tell me how does Galaxy and Sunshine make it a mythology? I understand the "Mario Vacation" thing was a bit forced, but I wouldn't have called it mythology.

I think Mario 64 was amazing in its opportunity to do the 3D versions of the 2D critters, and in general did a pretty good job of it. Few series has so much recognizable raw material to work with.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuzdu wrote:
I've always been of the opinion that the world of Mario was really inspired placeholder art. Bizarre and meaningless so that ultimately it wouldn't distract from the gameplay, it would just disappear.

Unfortunately along the way someone decided that Mario should have a mythology. This is what really puts me off of Sunshine and Galaxy. Unless the self-satire is so subtle that I've completely missed it.

I think the original characters and objects didn't come out of anything more profound than Miyamoto's sense of whimsy. I don't know that it's developed into a mythology exactly; it's not like there's some mario timeline or actual geography to the mushroom kingdom. I get the sense that the mario 'look' was still alive and congealing in the NES run of games but now its ENTOMBED.

Quote:
I think Mario 64 was amazing in its opportunity to do the 3D versions of the 2D critters, and in general did a pretty good job of it. Few series has so much recognizable raw material to work with.

It's something you need to do once, really, and then its like an unnecessary habit. It's not anything in particular about sunshine it's just more of these silly "not a magic kingdom" moments cropping in that make the original pretense seem increasingly thin. It's nothing but a deep, personal disinterest in the franchise on my part that hasn't sunk in until now. Mario is dead to me, is what I'm saying.

For the record I still think Shy Guy is the most elegantly designed Mario character and he's a foreigner.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuzdu wrote:

That's interesting, because in the last Iwata Asks, Miyamoto revealed that the essence of Mario's visuals was for the function to always be more important for the form. So everything communicates exactly what it is and how how interact with it through visuals, and it exists only for the player to interact with it. Like the ? boxes, or the Goombas, or the spikes that exist only to tell you 'don't touch'.

kuzdu wrote:
Unfortunately along the way someone decided that Mario should have a mythology. This is what really puts me off of Sunshine and Galaxy.

I doubt that's true because to have a 'mythology' in that sense is one of those fan-wankery concepts that only the fans understand and even their understanding of it is vague, and I'm pretty sure no-one on the creative end actually thinks about it in those terms.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
it's not like there's some mario timeline or actual geography to the mushroom kingdom. I get the sense that the mario 'look' was still alive and congealing in the NES run of games but now its ENTOMBED.

How much of that is technology driven, though? It evolved in the NES era because it could, and to some extent had to. I mean, "They gave him a mustache instead of a mouth and a cap instead of hair because it was easier to see in the low resolution.", as limitations decreased they refined his look.

There's still some room in the modern age for variation. "Mario Strikers" plays with the iconography... admittedly it might be a little "EXTREEEEEME!" for some's taste, but it's also very energetic, almost demonic.
Quote:
Quote:

It's something you need to do once, really, and then its like an unnecessary habit.

What is? Staying in 3D? Or using Marioverse as the Nintendo "signature"?
Quote:
It's not anything in particular about sunshine it's just more of these silly "not a magic kingdom" moments cropping in that make the original pretense seem increasingly thin. It's nothing but a deep, personal disinterest in the franchise on my part that hasn't sunk in until now. Mario is dead to me, is what I'm saying.

Well, it's cool and dramatic to put it in such "Godfather" terms, but I'm not sure what you mean.

Mario's longevity gives Nintendo some interesting options. He's a blank enough slate that they can do the Kart, Party, Tennis, Soccer, etc with him and the crew, and he provides visual themes and hooks to provide specific playgrounds for the designers to fool around in.

Quote:
For the record I still think Shy Guy is the most elegantly designed Mario character and he's a foreigner.

Could be. I like the variants they had (like, shyguy on stilts) in the Yoshi games.

I also like the Pirahna Plant, in a "Feed Me Seymore" Kind of way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqrz2yjnreo&feature=related - around the 4 minute mark, is a rather well done Piranha Rex character.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How much of that is technology driven, though? It evolved in the NES era because it could, and to some extent had to. I mean, "They gave him a mustache instead of a mouth and a cap instead of hair because it was easier to see in the low resolution.", as limitations decreased they refined his look.

I don't think that it was even necessarily avoidable. I could see this happening to any character that went through the same process of genre and device hopping.
Quote:
What is? Staying in 3D? Or using Marioverse as the Nintendo "signature"?

The second.
Quote:
Mario's longevity gives Nintendo some interesting options. He's a blank enough slate that they can do the Kart, Party, Tennis, Soccer, etc with him and the crew, and he provides visual themes and hooks to provide specific playgrounds for the designers to fool around in.

Oh yeah, and I can see the value of such a thing for any game maker because it provides an immediately understandable framework for the audience. I'm not trying to be dramatic, I didn't just up and decide I don't like mario, I'm trying to understand my own reasons for feeling so blasé towards it.

That video is very cute, but the mario baggage seems like a burden. That's all.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
it's not like there's some mario timeline or actual geography to the mushroom kingdom. I get the sense that the mario 'look' was still alive and congealing in the NES run of games but now its ENTOMBED.

I know what you mean, but you're forgetting the Mario RPG games, like Paper Mario, or Mario+Luigi RPG, which really play around with how he's represented.

Also guys stop being so dramatic.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Mario RPG was pretty cool with that when I watched my friend play it...that was years ago though I don't remember the specifics.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess 'mythology' was too strong a word. I just mean that someone seems to feel that 'rescue the princess' isn't a good enough exposition anymore, so now you have these long sequences explaining the gravity of Mario's situation. The Mario RPGs succeed because they make light of the ridiculousness of Mario even having a situation.

I suppose I miss the weirdness without explanation of the earlier games. Anyone remember exiting a level through a bird's mouth? Haven't been getting much of that since Mario 64.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game of the fucking year. In my book, at least.
Slonie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 3 (okay, 4, I forgot to count that first one you get) stars in. Good times so far! Why oh why did Mario have to open his yap on the Wii menu though...

(still: I had to stop reading the thread on SB about this game prior to playing it, people just don't like games anymore I think)
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slonie wrote:
IWhy oh why did Mario have to open his yap on the Wii menu though...

QFT.

http://www.cnettv.co.uk/gaming/start-select/special-feature-super-mario-galaxy-uk-launch-10000118.htm

Funny how the guy i wearing a red sweater.

Also, hearing the first version of "brooklyn plumber" made sense. The Mario voice is more like wacky Italian pizza chef, as the video points out.

Really made me stop and think about the richness of ethnic stereotypes.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished this last night, to 60 star ending at least.

The ending came up more suddenly than I was for some reason expecting. When I had that big count down of stars in the center court, I didn't think that was just for the final level, which wouldn't have been much harder than other levels if they had put the checkpoint at the begining of the fire tunnel rather than a bit before that.

I guess I had trouble believing that they put 60 extra stars just in the levels I've already unlocked!

A lot of those seem to be purple coin levels, which are a pile of meh.

Though it's funny, when you come back to the main map level after the ending (and didn't you see the place shattered in the big finale??) the Emo Princess talks about how doing more stars after winning tells you what kind of person you are.... which made me feel almost guilty once I figured I wasn't too inclined to hunt down all the stars, but then I remembered, a perfectly legitimate answer to "what kind of person you are" is "someone who doesn't have an abundance of spare time for a challenge for its own sake with little promise of seeing a lot of 'novel interaction'"

SPOILERS, minor

One of the themes of the ending is how people are made out of star stuff. A casual person might not realize this is an idea that's more or less true outside of the game universe as well...

To whit:

Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain, perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside-- that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out.
-Delenn, Babylon 5

All the molecules in your body were formed inside stars. We are the future of ancient stars.
-The 1997 Nobel Conference.

People and stars are made of the same stuff.
-Bill Nye the Science Guy
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i bought this game and i prayed to A CERTAIN FORCE that it wouldn't dissapoint me like the last 23 games I've bought.

It was really bugging me at first because it played differently to 64 and there are some niggles here and there, but i've pretty much forgotten about them now that i've gotten used to all the mechanics and now i think this game is totally awesome. yay! no dissapointment!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkjerk, don't forget that Moby song!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: