The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everything I know about FPS games I learned from John Romero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenEye: Plays better this way, that's for sure. I always found it hilarious how everything, absolutely everything, explodes in this game. It's good fun, but honestly, I wouldn't pay for it. Compared to the rest of Rare's catalogue, it feels like a fluke, where the license reigned them in from being mind-skinningly stupid. Just look at Perfect Dark, by contrast: You've only got a couple of interesting maps, the rest being exactly the sort of corridor garish bullshit you'd expect from other N64 shooters, with barely any shift in mission objectives or the like. And the plot is just awful garbage. For a spiritual successor, it has surprisingly little in common. The concept of a cyberpunk super-spy story is grandiose, but they turn it into alien invasion crap. Poor show, guys, poor show.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC correctly, most of the Goldeney team left after they finished the game and a bunch of other people created Perfect Dark. You can tell!

Also yes, everything explodes! It's just like an action movie!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the only thing that could make Goldeneye more action packed would be guns that explode when shot at and badguys that do backflips when standing five metres away from any explosion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare had some cool titles like Blast Corps and Diddy Kong Racing.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting an office chair until it explodes in a plume of smoke and fire is a cherished memory.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

Diddy Kong Racing was shat. The game was basically about memorizing where every single boost pad was. That was the only way to win. Probably because the framerate was so sucky the only thing you were capable of was steering yourself into boost pads, anyway.

Goldeneye excepted (since that was a by separate team who left Rare anyway), all Rare have ever really done is take the last successful thing Nintendo did and copy it. Except they always copy the wrong aspects of it. They even did an awful take-off of Luigi's Mansion. Viva Pinata is some kind of attempt at a Pokemon/Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon type thing, but it just misses the point of all of them. They suck.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat it in 00 Mode! 007 Mode allows you to edit enemy stats, such as health, damage done and accuracy.

And yeah, Rare are pretty awful. Donkey Kong Country 2 was alright though, in spite of the obnoxious collectathon element.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

Diddy Kong Racing was shat. The game was basically about memorizing where every single boost pad was. That was the only way to win. Probably because the framerate was so sucky the only thing you were capable of was steering yourself into boost pads, anyway.

Goldeneye excepted (since that was a by separate team who left Rare anyway), all Rare have ever really done is take the last successful thing Nintendo did and copy it. Except they always copy the wrong aspects of it. They even did an awful take-off of Luigi's Mansion. Viva Pinata is some kind of attempt at a Pokemon/Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon type thing, but it just misses the point of all of them. They suck.

Rare isn't one of the all-time great companies, but to say everything but Goldeneye is derivative and/or shit is wrong. (I don't even like Goldeneye that much, but i respect what it did technology and gameplay wise.) yeah, there's a lot of derivative stuff, Battletoads, Killer Instinct, themselves w/ DKC, to a lesser extent Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Pinata
But, looking at http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/10607.html and picking worthy highlights:

RC Pro Am was just terrific.

Then they did a lot of yeoman work w/ NES Arcade ports. And Battletoads.

Donkey Kong Country was so much more than the graphics demo its sometimes claimed to be, it had good bossfights, an usual and brilliant tag-in feature that let a gamer team up with a noob, great sound work, lots of secrets and bonuses, those animals, and its big graphics gave the levels an interesting feel, relative to the smallish deliberate pace of a Mario level or the less-small hyperactivity of Sonic.

You totally ignored my comment on Blast Corps, which is a gem of an early N64 game, and deserves more attention. I'm not a great big "solve this board" game fan, but this one, with that countdown truck heading inexorably forward and a big array of physics laden vehicles and robots was fantabulous.

Diddy Kong Racing holds its own against Mario Kart. The latter probably has a bit of an edge in physics feel and level design, but the former has more variety of vehicles, very good level designs, one of the few racer story modes worth playing w/ well done boss fights, and is fair. You can use items or stack them and they show up in a consistent fashion, none of this rubberbandy "here have a lightning bolt and win" crap. Oh, plus some actually worthwhile battle modes, YMMV but I never could get into the meager offerings of any of the Mario Karts.

Golden Eye is beloved. Banjo-Kazooie was a decent extension of the Mario 64 paradigm. Jet Force Gemini is respected, if flawed. Perfect Dark is adored by some. Conker, while almost destroyed by its sophomoric humor and terrible writing and voice acting, actually is a decent wrapper around a lot of engaging minigames (plus it and that underrated-because-of-the-collect-a-thon DK64 are both great in letting the player come back to interesting missions and boss fights; going back to the lava surf race in Conker is a treat.) I think Kameo is highly regarded as well, though not my cuppa.

So yeah, there clearly past their prime, and they do some derivative stuff, and sometimes get it wrong. But they really helped to stop the bleeding of the N64, and I was dismayed when they went with Microsoft. Maybe if that hadn't happened, or if there were some personnel who stuck around, they'd REALLY be something today. And I'd have my damn Wii sequel to Blast Corps.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from R.C. Pro-Am, Snake Rattle and Roll, Solar Jetman, Sabre Wulf etc. were pretty good. You could make a good argument that Rare "peaked" on the Spectrum/Commodore 64 and then into the NES era.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

You totally ignored my comment on Blast Corps, which is a gem of an early N64 game, and deserves more attention. I'm not a great big "solve this board" game fan, but this one, with that countdown truck heading inexorably forward and a big array of physics laden vehicles and robots was fantabulous.

I should learn not to word my posts so they sound like personal attacks :(

I still don't like Rare, they come off as retarded.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

I should learn not to word my posts so they sound like personal attacks Sad

Well, same here! Believe me, I'm not taking this personally, and accusing you of "ignoring" Blast Corps is kind of dumb, it's a personal favorite of mine for the N64 but it didn't really get a lot of exposure.

I just like to argue the living fuck out of things when there's a sentiment that I think is R,O,N,G wrong.
Quote:
I still don't like Rare, they come off as retarded.

Retarded or more like, Ghetto?

Anyway, I've put forth why I think they've made at least their share of worthy additions to the pantheon. And I even forgot some nifty stuff like Solar Jetman, which is kind of like "Thrust" on steroids, and had some really nice art to boot (heh, in the way they did the rotation of the ship for that, making it a bit 3D looking even if it was just doing a simple 2D rotation- almost a prelude of what they did later w/ DKC)

So yeah, at some point I became a bit of a Rare Fanboy. It might've been when I was busy defending the N64 as a multiplayer, no-load-time wonderland when PS1 was kicking ass and taking names.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, retarded. Just look at Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Or Perfect Dark, come to that. So British in the worst sense of the word. By which I mean trying to come off as the worst parts of Americana.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Rare because they didn't port the arcade Battletoads game which is a really silly reason, not liking them because they didn't port one game, but that's just me.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing about rare is that once they started developing for consoles, their work became more and more ruled by formula and imitation. donkey kong country is a parade of rehashed mario ideas, dressed up in the prettiest clothes they could manage. banjo-kazooie does the same with super mario 64 and the mantra of "more, more, more" so you're collecting a hundred dingly gizmos at every turn, and the game suffocates under its own weight.

goldeneye was the only genuinely interesting thing rare turned out in that era, and it was developed by an outside team they grabbed out of school.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare have been very hit and miss for me (mostly miss, lately). I love some of there games, and hate some others with a passion.

Banjo-Kazooie was actually a very solid Mario 64 clone, but nothing special, Conker was lots of fun despite lots of humour that fell flat, Blast Corps is excellent, as is Goldeneye... their other N64 games ranged from medicore to crap.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bugged me about Donkey Kong 64 was there was no meat to it. All the areas that led off the hub were basically just more hub areas. Leading off those were a bunch of minigames, usually about driving minecarts around the inside of a giant barrel. So there's no actual core to the game where you get to just have fun being a monkey. All your monkey abilities you slowly accumulate serve little purpose except to act as keys, allowing access to previously inaccessible minecart barrel minigames. E.G. Funky Kong's handstand that lets you get up a slope. That's all that fucking ability does. It's not like Mario's wing-cap which ostensibly does allows access to other areas but more importantly gives you the thrill and freedom of being able to fly- this just lets you get up a slope while walking slower than you usually would. The ability and what it is useful for seem to have no logical relationship, either. I haven't tried it but I think I'd be less able to get up steep slopes if I was doing a handstand.

Also, while I'm at it, there is something else that never gets brought up when discussing Rare, for some reason. It's like not only is there an elephant in the room that no-one's talking about but a naked emporer is riding it, so here goes: RARE'S CHARACTER DESIGNS ARE FUCKING TERRIBLE

The funny thing about Kameo is that it appears to be some kind of attempt at making a Zelda game which just leads one to think 'wow, you guys don't get it at all'.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with DK64 was that it sucked! Apart from the reasons you cite, there is also way too much character switching. Like, different coloured bananas, and only certain characters and grab certain bananas. I mean seriously, to hell with that shit, amirite!

Also, I wish I could find that image detailing Rares character design philosphy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
goldeneye was the only genuinely interesting thing rare turned out in that era, and it was developed by an outside team they grabbed out of school.

Do you have an opinion on Blast Corps? I think it's "genuinely interesting", and would be at least one exception to the the rule.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i also dont get why everyone is ignoring blast corps, it was one of the golden games for the N64 in my opinion!

kirkjerk lets start a club

i call vice president

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
What bugged me about Donkey Kong 64 was there was no meat to it. All the areas that led off the hub were basically just more hub areas. Leading off those were a bunch of minigames, usually about driving minecarts around the inside of a giant barrel. So there's no actual core to the game where you get to just have fun being a monkey.

I don't remember minecarts in barrels. In terms of racing, I remember a decent toboggan-ish ride vs a scarab in the desert.

I think DK64 is a collectathon wrapper to a lovely series of boss fights.

Shit.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, blast corps seems pretty interesting. i've never played it.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well maybe you SHOULD.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Rare because they made Cobra Triangle (and Wizards and Warriors!).

As others said before, Rare was frigging prolific back in the NES era, with ports and original titles alike. I'm rather inexperienced with their work on other platforms of the era such as the ZX, since, you know, America.

Back on the FPS topic, Conker's Live component on the Xbox version was all-new to that game, right? (or not right). I played it at E3 and was confused as to why these adorable critters were engaged in NEXT-GENERATION CLASS-BASED TACTICAL FIRST PERSON-STYLE SHOOTER ACTION WITH VEHICLES.

But actually it was pretty fun. I want to try it again, and the rest of the game as well.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played cobra triangle with slut last week for the first time. the boat felt really pleasing to steer.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that game sure was difficult, as with the other RARE nes games. I think I only survived five - six levels.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the thing about rare is that once they started developing for consoles, their work became more and more ruled by formula and imitation.

I've been thinking about this argument. It's a valid criticism. But especially for video games.

I think developing in a genre is more acceptable in other forms of art (to a certain extent, you don't want slavish by the numbers work either) but what sets gamewriting apart from other arts is its ability to provide new and original interactive systems. So yeah, failing to do that is a big minus... but on the other hand I think Rare did tend to bring new concepts to the table. If nothing else I appreciate that they weren't TOO artsy-fartsy and let people warp straight to the main attraction boss fights.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo Kazooie kind of surprised me. Initially, it seemed both stupid and ugly, but there's something endearing about it. That, and there are a number of inspired locales.

Aside from hitting the bee king with the frying pan, and the incredible zombie/vampire portion of the game, my favorite aspect of Conker's Bad Fur Day, was that Conker consistently seemed about as unamused by the game's sense of humor as I was.

. . .

Rare's N64 output was obviously pretty patchy, but there is enough to like. Even Donkey Kong 64 had some neat moments. Banjo Tooie was absolute shit though.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mustache wrote:
Aside from hitting the bee king with the frying pan, and the incredible zombie/vampire portion of the game, my favorite aspect of Conker's Bad Fur Day, was that Conker consistently seemed about as unamused by the game's sense of humor as I was.

Heh. That's a good way of looking at it.

Some of the writing was so painful. Like that bit where Conker sorta breaks the fourth wall and predicts what the guy blocking his path is going to do because that's what this game tends to do in general
Quote:
Conker: Gee. So many people round here want me to solve their problems.
What are you gonna do for me, then?

it's straight out of a play I wrote in Middle School... sa

Also, the voice acting. They had one guy doing way, way, way too much. He just didn't have the variety of voices, so it's a puddle of meh.

Actually, reading the first part of the script: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/file/196973/11718... maybe it's not the writing. It's like the writing is that fairly sophisticated (in a juvenile way) wanna-be-Monty Python stuff, but then when its produced, they just get it all wrong...
Cossix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conker's Bad Fur Day is on my list of games to play before I die.

Kameo was a goddamn character design abortion. Everything that was vaguely humanoid looked like it was just modelled in Poser and the monsters were all kind of dumb looking. Ugh.

I really thought they did pretty well in Viva Pinata, though. All the pinata in the game are utterly beautiful and they really all just look like, well, pinata. Zooming out to the overhead view and just watching them all run around your little garden, it's just pretty. I was really impressed by the game though, and it seems like a lot of people really didn't like it at all. It's so busy!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/file/196973/11718[/url]... maybe it's not the writing. It's like the writing is that fairly sophisticated (in a juvenile way) wanna-be-Monty Python stuff, but then when its produced, they just get it all wrong...

No way, the writing is shithouse.

Quote:
Conker: Um...okay...what's your name?

Birdy: Birdy.

Conker: Beardy? But you haven't got a beard.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/file/196973/11718[/url]... maybe it's not the writing. It's like the writing is that fairly sophisticated (in a juvenile way) wanna-be-Monty Python stuff, but then when its produced, they just get it all wrong...

No way, the writing is shithouse.

Quote:
Conker: Um...okay...what's your name?

Birdy: Birdy.

Conker: Beardy? But you haven't got a beard.

It could be punched up. I like
Quote:
Giant Hay: So, my nemesis is defeated.
*Brush and Pot huddle together shivering. Giant Hay turns around to see
them*
Giant Hay: Hah. Yes. It's me again. Right. Time to wonder around...
aimlessly.

I still think even the Beardy line could've worked if "but you haven't got a beard!" had been read right, like that one incredulous guy from Monty Python.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey excuse me while i talk about marathon, but should any of you wish to paly through the original game anytime soon, i suggest using the music tracks from this site in the game as they are pretty swell, though some are better than others (i wish he removed the jazz piano or whatever the hell it is from a couple tracks for one thing, and was all synths):

http://www.eigenhat.com/marathon

just backup the tracks folder, make a new one and put these tracks in.

my friend did a cover of the first track in the game (landing, one of my favourite tracks) that I also really enjoy:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/upggic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So yeah, there clearly past their prime, and they do some derivative stuff, and sometimes get it wrong. But they really helped to stop the bleeding of the N64, and I was dismayed when they went with Microsoft.

Yeah. Their presence has always been a really big factor in justifying the n64 in my mind. I'm disappointed about some of their latest stuff, and I do agree with Harveyjames that they've become a caricature of themselves (re: conker...i heard it was good and all, but its some insipid bullshit).

Quote:
donkey kong country is a parade of rehashed mario ideas, dressed up in the prettiest clothes they could manage. banjo-kazooie does the same with super mario 64 and the mantra of "more, more, more" so you're collecting a hundred dingly gizmos at every turn, and the game suffocates under its own weight.

i stll don't think DKC deserves the flack it gets. the thing is, they didn't just imitate, they refined. so it is that DKC is just a really accessible, user-friendly, really rightly designed, ultimately quite standard platformer. isn't that heaps better than a shitty one?

i feel the same way about banjo-kazooie. it's got a charming enough aesthetic going for it, and the goals are slightly more complex than the ones in super mario 64. they weren't at their 'ultra-collectibles' stage yet.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
hey excuse me while i talk about marathon

You should talk more about Marathon to steer to conversation away from Rare's games and their shitty character designs.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'm still working on this article about the game which is putting me off talking about it, possible ever again!

also I think i'm pretty comfortable with saying that this article is never going to get done. i keep arguing with myself and find new things to dicuss that i didnt realise five minutes ago stupid marathon why did you have to be EVER SO DEEP AND COMPLEX.

right now its at 2,500 words. i'm gonna have to cut a lot of fat, always the most painful part of writing, i didn't want it more than 2000. not too bad considering it's covering three games though, i guess.

rero what would you like to know about marathon, i shall answer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i stll don't think DKC deserves the flack it gets. the thing is, they didn't just imitate, they refined. so it is that DKC is just a really accessible, user-friendly, really rightly designed, ultimately quite standard platformer. isn't that heaps better than a shitty one?

I'm still arguing (ad nauseum) that the tag-in system is actually a lovely bit of innovation. The pre-render concept might be as well.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycle due to your st. paul like devotion to marathon i toy with the idea of installing the pc patched versions again but man it's such a weird low resolution it's hard to tell what's going on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
cycle due to your st. paul like devotion to marathon i toy with the idea of installing the pc patched versions again but man it's such a weird low resolution it's hard to tell what's going on.

I tried the Xbox 360 port of Marathon.
I think it lacks kinetic grace, relative to Doom. It ends up feeling a bit like someone fired up a poorly written "build your own FPS kit" ("Now! With look up and down!") and did a lot of cool things in terms of story and setting etc, but its ultimately hampered by that.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a game like DooM, the original Marathon is the way to go (though it's not as good an action game as DooM). The second Marathon was less about engineering set-pieces for the player to go through, and more about creating a world and exploring the immersive qualities of videogames, though there are some very action intenstive levels when the story picks up, such as If I had A Rocket Launcher, I'd Make Someone Pay which is one of the best levels in any FPS ever.

Survival mode on the 360 port is also a good way to go if you just want to shoot shit.

Hey guys, did I mention I'm the number one marathon deathmatch player in the world? Because I totally am.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

you can change the resoluation easily in the options. there are also hi-rez texture packs available (from the same place you download the games) if you're into that sort of thing.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i'm playing the original game again since its been a couple months since i last finished it, this is probably a bad idea
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why doesnt anyone want to talk about marathon with me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks.

By which I mean I haven't played it in a while. I still need to finish Infinity, like, for real.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT.

Infinity has one of the best endings to any videogame trilogy ever! If you understand what's going on!

Dess and I e ven made a banner from it!

FINISH IT.

Though, it is the hardest game in the trilogy by a longshot. Play it on easy!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember getting pretty far, actually, but the levels just kept on getting more and more confusing.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the levels in infinity really did get pretty crazy. i know them like the back of my hand now though, so it's hard to relate to people who aren't as used to the game as I am. I remember co-opping marathon 2 with someone on xbox live and he was consistently amazed how i could clear most levels in under 60 seconds because i just knew where to go.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, by contrast, I've replayed Durandal a number of times.

I'll get round to Infinity again soon, I'm sure, on an easier difficulty. Best start fresh too to get the full story. What I saw was staggering.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll forget playing through the original game and start playing Infinity instead.

Once I get my router, perhaps we can even co-op via A1! I remember it being playable when I played with two guys, one in the USA and one in the UK, but my shitty router always caused connection problems (especiallyl if I was hosting). Hopefully the netcode is still decent.

Infinty feels like the game hates you with a fiery passion, with all it puts you through, but it's actually full of love! Look at all this stuff which makes this game totally awesome:

* CO-OP CARNAGE FESTS

Infinity has two secret levels designed for co-op. The first level can only be accessed with two or more people, and is a large open arena level full of guns and ammo and infinitely spawning aliens, giving co-opping players a break from the real game and just fuck shit up. It also gives players the chance to load up on guns they wouldn't normally get until much later. There is also a computer chip on this level which can be picked up, and it's only possible to exit the level with two players. This is important, because it's been proven you can access this level alone via an incredible amount of difficulty, but you'd just strand yourself in the level if you did manage to pull it off.

ANYWAY, in another level you find a place to put said chip, which opens up a passage in the level which leads to a second secret level, again full of aliens to kill and lots of ammo! Well, it was supposed to work this way, but you can access the secret passage without the chip due to an accident on Double Aughts part. I still wish they would fix this for the freeware release! Oh, and both secret levels have fun terminal text.

* HATS OFF TO 819

On the first level, you find a terminal with seemingly meaningless hex code. On the final level, which happens to take place at the same time and location as the first level, there is another terminal with the second half of the hex code. Put it together and it creates a map that can be played in Infinity. It even has a terminal featuring a shorty story set in the world of Double Aughts (canned) follow-up game!

* VIDMASTER CHALLENGE

As with the bungie terminal in Marathon 2, there is a Double Aught terminal hidden on the final level of Infinity. Not only does it have messages from the team, but it takes you to the vidmaster challege! No plot or objectives, just remixed versions of the toughest levels in game, made even tougher. Just kill everything then exit, with a lovely congratulations message from the team if you pull it off (I have! The second level is really fucking hard!)

Ok I have to go to work and must wrap this up, but yeah, Infinity is awesome and a great gift to fans. I would understand people hating it if it was the first Marathon game they played, though.

Interestingly enough, Infinity was the first one I played, but just the demo. I played the full games in order.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really want to see infinity ported to xbox live arcade, because it's super hard and i'm much better with the xbox 360 pad than i am with a keyboard and mouse.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also the multiplayer in infinity is about ten million times better than that in marathon 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 6 of 23

Jump to: