The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i'm going to videogame school.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: i'm going to videogame school. Reply with quote

this school. the ludicrously-named guildhall at southern methodist university. i found out this past week, while i was in california. by the time i got back to new york, my father had an smu shirt. if my father is wearing the shirt, that means i'm going to school.

the school is in dallas. i know nothing about dallas. my cousin and his partner used to live there, though (they live in austen now), and he left my grandmother his card to give to me. they are going to give me the scoop on what is shaking in dallas.

class starts in january. i am going to move. any new yorkers who want to hang out with me should probably get right on that! the school has an arrangement with a few apartment buildings, and i should be able to get a pretty cheap place at one of them. daphny is going to come stay with me for a little after i get settled.

i'm going to videogame school. my focus is in level design. i am scared that my classmates will all be overgrown boys who only play halo.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's pretty hardcore, dess. I'd say that I envy you, but I've never had any desire at all to be a videogame designer. A person who bitches about games, yes, a person who makes them now, no. Way out of my leagues.

Perhaps a going away NY TGQ party is in order.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: i'm going to videogame school. Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i am scared that my classmates will all be overgrown boys who only play halo.

I doubt this will be the case. (They probably also play Gears, arf)
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friday night will be madden WoW night

Last edited by daphaknee on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the attitude!

I'm sure there will be plenty of rad people who play tons of halo and madden there, just as I'm sure there will be snarky people who make snide comments about them, then play some generic platformer with moody music just because they don't. Regardless, it should still be good times. Guildhall tends to get some pretty good speakers. Dallas is also close enough to check out the Game Developers Conference and the Texas Independent Game Conference without too much trouble. Plus there is a good deal of potential for work in the Austin-Dallas area.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm going to videogame school. Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
i am scared that my classmates will all be overgrown boys who only play halo.

I doubt this will be the case. (They probably also play Gears, arf)

From what I've read, the largest populations at these colleges now are the MMO type gamers.

And, again, honest congratulations and good luck. Most likely you'll leave this magazine far behind and we'll miss you dearly ;_;

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
purplechair

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most importantly, it means you can join us at Quakecon next summer and THROW DOWN some EXTREME NOOB PWNING... TO THE MAAAAAX!!!

purplechair

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus... it looks like he's punching himself in his oversized nutsack while jerking off.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like listening to Cacophany then.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dess! I've heard some bad things about these "game" universities, so I hope they actually give you a real grounding in coding, graphics and engine theory as well as just teaching you the tools you need to know. Regular updates would be appreciated!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a games course start up in our university and it really took the heat off us animation students in terms of nerdiness. I didn't even realise that many people liked Mortal Kombat. I saw some of their ideas, they were like 'it's Mortal Kombat crossed with Smackdown Taste The Pain but with bigger, oilier muscles and axes'. When they left their year's work in their form room to be assessed, I used to draw pictures of muscley dudes kissing in their sketchbooks, in their respective styles. Ha ha.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deep in the heart of texas!

or not i'm not familiar with texas geography. i know some folks in san antonio though.

anyway, congrats, that sounds pretty cool and the obvious next step.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah. Congrats dess! From what I understand a majority of the people in these classes are given computer modeling software and immediately begin to model expensive cars. You'll do great because you've actually got some creativity!

I considered going to one of these schools and I still think about it every once in a while. Then I remember that I sort of already know what I need, I'm just to lazy to do anything about it. I still think about it every once in a while though...

Regardless, congrats and good luck! Is this 2 or 4 years?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seventeen months.

and i picked this school because it's not an art or programming course in disguise. students choose to focus on either art, coding, or level design, and students with different focuses work in teams. so i can actually learn about making videogames, while one of my teammates handles the art and another handles the coding.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Woah. Congrats dess! From what I understand a majority of the people in these classes are given computer modeling software and immediately begin to model expensive cars. You'll do great because you've actually got some creativity!

Yeah, Eleanor said the same about her CG course. It was either expensive cars or lifelike Angelina Jolie.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope this doesn't turn you to hate videogames. please!. we have enough of those people that don't even work in the industry, yet still immerse themselves in the hobby, for a reason i've yet to unravel.

best of luck!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, is this what that Unreal Tournament level editor question was about?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i found out a few weeks after turning in my portfolio that there was a 3d requirement. it was just a technical aptitude exercize, so i made two rooms in unreal tournament, put a hallway between them, and gave them light sources. the description for the technical aptitude part of the portfolio isn't very clear, but it only took me an hour to get the exercize done.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so now i'm not sure i've actually been accepted yet? the email the school sent me last week said "we look forward to seeing you on january 7, 2008" but a professor interviewed me via phone tonight. we talked about games journalism and i wish he had asked more about my games. i did volunteer that i'm in the igf this year, because that would look nice on their little page of notes about me. one of the teachers is apparently an igf judge.

the program is apparently very intensive and i'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to have my slut fly out while classes are going on. i could wait until my week-long break between terms - the first one's in march. but that's in march.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dear Ms. Anthropy:

Congratulations! You've been accepted into the Guildhall Cohort of January 2008 as a student on probation in the Certificate of Digital Game Development Program. The terms of your probation state that you must make a B+ or better in your level design 1 course and B's or better in all of your other term 1 courses. The Winter 2008 term will begin on January 7th, 2008.

it's official now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your terms are strict. i've only ever seen b minus work out you.

(hey congratulations--officially!)
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how they grade - I'd like to hear more about it at some point, actually - but that's pretty strict. You mentioned earlier about flying someone up to see you during a break, but I would bet that you'll have too much work to do anything during that time. The program I'm in allows for one C, the second C gets you called into a meeting where you're told to leave. Despite that, the professors have no problem piling on the work, and I'm thinking you'll find yourself in the same situation.

During this break, I have to finish up a research paper, prepare for a presentation and critique with a group of random people, study for the finals and sift through hundreds of pages of mind-numbing journals. All of this is just after having two tests and a draft. I live with my girlfriend and I barely get to see her. Thankfully the Wii + Random Mario Game tempers her irritation, but a friend of hers almost got a divorce whenever her husband was studying for the CPA. I hope it works out for you, but it's going to be tough either not seeing them or having them in and knowing you can't because you just have too much to do. You're either lonely or out of money and lonely.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's only 18 months. which can be a long time, sure, but i guess as a veteran of i'll see you in three days when you're done with your paper it doesn't seem all that long.

i feel yer pain ryan i have to write a 3000 word brief on why the fairness doctrine is totally lame and red lion can suck it and interview some saudis about the 2009 elections and do a fucking take home final. i hate take home finals. they're so pointlessly at odds with the whole idea behind finals.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had friends in art school and video game schools and they basically have time to go to school. Their basis for social interaction is sitting next to people in computer labs and that's pretty much it for the 2-4 years they're there. It's a lot of work, especially if you want to do it well!
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, this thread got depressing really quick

i guess i'll see you on your breaks, ma'am!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well before your classes start first. you have those week-long breaks about as often as we'd be seeing eachother anyway come to think of it

it'll be weird at first not being able to talk to you all the time, but just like text me from time to time and write emails or letters or something and i'll make due! the time will fly for you anyway since you'll be stuffed up the nose with awesome projects
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully they'll let me move in right after christmas. then we can spend new year's together.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a window of time from december 28-january 8th off work, hurry up and figure things out so i can get the ticket and make everything FINAL

another countdown will begin!
dizzyjosh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dess, i'm so happy for you! congratulations Smile

does guildhall end up owning the work you make while you are there, or only the stuff in class? do you get to show anything awesome off?

hahah, +1 for the academy
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah dess, this is good news that everything finalized and such. I have no idea what Dallas is like as my only encounters with Texas were at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport and I got scared shitless. They had a Fox News store. What the hell?

But yeah, I am just in general not good at coding and such, so I would probably be terrible at a game school. My semester of art school kinda sucked but was also fun because I used to go into the building at odd hours and just see who was there.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
They had a Fox News store. What the hell?

For what it's worth, those exist in a lot of airports.
Rud13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
deep in the heart of texas!

or not i'm not familiar with texas geography. i know some folks in san antonio though.

anyway, congrats, that sounds pretty cool and the obvious next step.

S'up Dhex.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an apartment now. six-thirty-three a month, which is pretty good compared to the cost of living in the city. i have a round bathtub.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
boojiboy7 wrote:
They had a Fox News store. What the hell?

For what it's worth, those exist in a lot of airports.

Goddammit they're spreading? Oh shit, no!

I think the recorded PA announcement about not joking about security or else I would be arrested was what pushed me over the edge.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the recorded PA announcement about not joking about security or else I would be arrested was what pushed me over the edge.

actually, this has been the case (at least in ny/nj airports) for decades. back oh so long ago when i was in high school there was a senior class trip to florida when i was a freshman (the year was 1991! god shoot me now!) and two of the seniors joked about having a bomb and they got his and hers little green rooms at newark where they got grilled for an hour and otherwise scared to fuck and back. and needless to say they missed the florida trip.

so yeah i would say as a rule of thumb, in any institution, joking about bombs is a bad idea. now, more than ever. (there was a guy who put an angry message in his checked luggage - i forget the exact wording of the note but it was like "fuck you!" or something pithy along those lines - and got his shit yanked out of line as well. i believe he's suing the tsa and the airlines now.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit, really? Cleveland must be lax on that shit then. They never gave us a warning about it over the PA, that is for sure. I guess if they actually thought someone meant anything by it they would bust em for a joke, but it would still be pretty odd.

Hrm. Scary world, etc.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well making jokes about bombs in airports while in an airport is a pretty hardcore dickmove.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i remember my friend got in a whole shitload of trouble over a this bike is a pipe bomb sticker on his binder

he was like 1. its a BAND 2. this isnt a BIKE

but yeah, airports dont fuck around
Redeye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of (not seriously) making an aluminum foil message on construction paper backing. It would be for luggage that would be sent through an x-ray machine.

"If you can read this the terrorists have won."

Juvenile, or at least sophomoric.

I'd like for someone else to try it so I could hear about it in the news.

Terrorists Win!

I don't really mind that much myself.

I just wish it were faster.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goddamnit im going to be flying at the end of december please dont put these ideas in my head as i am easily influenced
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.securityedition.com/

this is a good balance between saying something and finding your plans derailed by angry dhs retards.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dessgeega, congrats on getting into Guildhall!

You'll probably be working with a few of my current classmates when you're at the Guildhall. I go to SMU, so there are plenty of people in the computer science program here who are hell-bent on getting into Guildhall's programming track.

I'll definitely be interested to hear your thoughts on and experiences in the level design track, because I hardly know squat about it.

I was in a group with a fellow a few semesters ago who now attends Guildhall. He was the first person from the Comp Sci department here to go to Guildhall. Humorously enough, his goal was, in fact, to get a job with Blizzard working on WoW. He is a nice fellow, and he is a Lunar fan, so he's good people in my book.

dizzyjosh wrote:
does guildhall end up owning the work you make while you are there, or only the stuff in class? do you get to show anything awesome off?

From what I know about SMU, Guildhall will own anything and everything that the student makes while enrolled, whether or not it was made for class. I'm fairly certain that this is the case with the undergraduate program (I was told as much by a professor, though I do keep meaning to dig into the various university contracts and rules to find where I agreed to that), and I'd imagine that SMU's legal team probably extends this particular discourtesy to all of the satellite campuses as well (i.e. Guildhall).

Anyway, you may have already heard about this stuff, but in the event that you haven't, here are a few cool things that I know of in Dallas.

There are plenty of theaters around Dallas, though I'm pretty partial to:
The Inwood and the Magnolia which are both owned by the Landmark company. The Inwood does a pretty killer midnight show on Fridays and Saturdays.
There's also the Angelika, which is pretty close to the main SMU campus.
These aren’t the only theaters, obviously, but they tend to show some truly excellent movies that one wouldn’t otherwise see. I’ll be going to the Inwood to watch Blade Runner: The Final Cut on November 30th, and I am psyched.

I'd also strongly advise going to see the Nasher Sculpture Center. The Nasher has some absolutely fantastic stuff in it, including a James Turrell skyscape, which is truly an experience:

There are also the Lower Greenville and Deep Ellum areas, which have a lot of clubs, bars, and shows if those are your thing. They ain’t my cup o’ tea, but they’re worth knowing about.

If you are interested in hanging out while you are living here in Dallas then please feel free to send me a PM or an AIM message.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we should totally get together after i fly out. i'm sure i'll have lots of questions about the area too.

i should check out that nasher center. i like sculpture.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please work on getting her into movies, jesus
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, then we could finance a gender-reversal version of Pink Flamingos, starring Daph wearing a big fake moustache and eating dog poop.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that kind of into
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From what I know about SMU, Guildhall will own anything and everything that the student makes while enrolled, whether or not it was made for class.

does this mean they assume legal liability for them as well?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah release one that turns their computer into a BOMB

But make sure it turns their computer into a BOMB after you graduate.
Mr. Business

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
From what I know about SMU, Guildhall will own anything and everything that the student makes while enrolled, whether or not it was made for class.

does this mean they assume legal liability for them as well?

That's actually rather similar to the question I asked that prompted my professor to provide me with this information. However, it's not exactly the same question, so I can't say for sure.

I'm pretty sure that it all works out to "The school takes what it wants when it wants it." I'm sure that SMU's legal department would be more than capable of wrangling that, and perfectly willing to follow through with that sort of policy.

edit:
daphaknee wrote:
please work on getting her into movies, jesus

Dessgeega does not enjoy movies? Well, I feel rather silly having given the recommendations that I have given thus far.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rarely feel comfortable sitting down and spending several hours of my life watching a moving picture. the slut is helping with my belated education, mostly by showing me freddy krueger movies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: