The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oni/NOLF why so cheap?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Oni/NOLF why so cheap? Reply with quote

I've always wondered why Oni, and No-one lives forever, for PS2 are the cheapest games in game / gamestation. -Except for out of date football games obviously. Are they that bad (NOLF was great on PC). I almost feel like buying them to find out why they are so very cheap!
ryan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOLF on the PS2 has the same problems as Half-Life on PS2: the controls suck. I remember having to strafe everywhere because the reticle would seem to skip over a handful of pixels at a time, which drove me nuts because I wanted precision from the analog without fuss. I can't recall if they changed any content, but I don't think they did. I recall it wasn't a pretty game, with it hard to spot enemies at times. I was impressed by the PC version and ended up hating the PS2 version.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oni is borderline un-playable. You can certainly complete it, but the controls are so screwed up, you'd be screwing yourself over playing past the training session. The graphics aren't too impressive either, but it was one of the first PS2 games, so I guess I can't really take points away for that.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the only reason I didn't dislike Oni is because I didn't pay for it. Back in the day, I found it playable enough, though I wish it was possible to pull off neat gunplay stunts as well as the close combat silliness.

Also, I'm a sucker for any game with wide and large scale environments.
Neal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still own both games on the PS2, just figured it wasn't worth trading them in.
Slonie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oni was underrated grossly. At least on the Mac/PC. I can't speak to the PC version.

(and, sure, it had its problems, such as lousy checkpoints and big, empty environments...But it pulled off the 3D beat 'em up better than anything else at the time. Once again, I only speak for my experience with the Mac version)
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOLF on the PS2 was pretty ugly and dark, making it hard to see enemies and didn't feel too good control-wise. The levels were also smaller and more broken up IIRC, which sucked. They did add some content, some new missions where you play as Archer when she first became a cat burgler. These WOULD be cool, as they play like Thief, except it has that bullshit IF AN ENEMY SEES YOU, YOU FAIL crap going on and it just becomes a pain in the ass. Just get the PC version!

I haven't played Oni in the PS2, but I can't imagine playing it without a mouse. It's a Third-Person game with FPS controls. The game had a shittonne of problems, a half implemented plot, bland environments etc, but damn, this game still has the best 3D fighting system I've ever come across. It's just so fluid , fun and exhilarating. No other 3D brawler has come close to it in terms of control and the fighting system.

Hey Slonie, you ever played the leaked Oni beta that still had a bit of an editor in it, and perhaps multiplayer, I can't remember the exact details.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

Hey Slonie, you ever played the leaked Oni beta that still had a bit of an editor in it, and perhaps multiplayer, I can't remember the exact details.

I haven't! But I do (probably) have the original Oni trailer that was more obviously ghost-in-the-shelly and also played Oni at Macworld back when it was multiplayer-only (as opposed to how it shipped, which was multiplayer-free).

That game was in development for ever and ever.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man I totally played that oni demo too

what the hell were they thinking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oni was basically like a bunch of separate game pre-proposal ideas and projects (a fighting system tech demo, an urge to embrace the sleekness and style of classy anime, the desire to make a strong female lead, some vague and somewhat unrecognized notions that the West still had a lot to learn from Metal Gear Solid) that got together and decided to start a garage band.

(this analogy was formed with relatively no actual knowledge of the development process)

You probably already know from the fact that I'm here that I want this game to be remade with BUDGET and CLOUT and ME CONTROLLING EVERYTHING, but I feel it's a bit more justified in the case of Oni. It leaves me with feelings of distate over MGS: Twin Snakes without even having played Twin Snakes.

We can rebuild her, we have the technology, etc.

Incidentally, can anyone hook me up with some scans of the oni comic book?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The development process was EXTREMELY messy. Oni almost sent Bungie into the red; Microsoft saved them (in addition to selling the Myth and Oni IPs).

I too would love to see it remade, the way it was originally meant to be. A decent story! Proper cell-shading! Interesting levels!

Still! Great fighting system.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

I'm not Slonie, but I think I remember a friend of mine playing that. The same friend, incidentally, that went to MacWorld '99(?) and spent a good chunk of time there playing Oni multiplayer. He was sad when that was cut, and I was mad that I skipped MacWorld that year. Something about networking not being available for the PS2. I don't remember the editor being in there though, nor the multiplayer.

D-A-I-S wrote:
We can rebuild her, we have the technology, etc.

You mean like this?
http://www.codercorner.com/Oni.htm
It's not much more than a glorified engine tech demo, last I checked, but still.

Cycle wrote:
The development process was EXTREMELY messy. Oni almost sent Bungie into the red; Microsoft saved them (in addition to selling the Myth and Oni IPs).

Errr, huuum, uuh. I heard it differently.
Although I got the impression that Bungie had overextended themselves a bit with 'Bungie West', it was the bug in the Myth 2 uninstaller that deleted peoples hardrives that really impacted them financially - full recall, etc. I think that resulted in Take 2 buying a partial stake in the company, just to keep them afloat.
The Microsoft deal was purportedly because it let them (Bungie) "get in the on the ground floor" of the Xbox platform and not because Microsoft coughed up a larger sum of money than everybody else. In fact I recall a Bungie spokesman stating that other people had offered Bungie bigger sums of cash in the past. Selling Myth and Oni to Take 2 was to compensate them for the stock Microsoft wanted.
All that said, however, anybody saying the Microsoft deal had nothing to do with money is a fool.
Slonie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: That link...Konoko Payne! Awesomu Powaa!
The screenshots remind me how Konoko had different outfits in different stages as appropriate.

The explanation I heard for the missing netplay in Oni was that they just couldn't get it working right with the Oni engine, latency and all. Who knows...It's a shame.

Also holy shit, that page refers to STRIDENT as an offhanded reference/joke to Oni 2. What ever happened to that vaporware/game?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the story I heard, then again I heard multiple stories from multiple people at Bungie!

Whatever, the Oni development was still messy as all fuck and didn't help matters!

Anyway yeah, I heard that story too Slonie, they cut multiplayer because melee combat simply wasn't playable over the internet at the time. Don't see why they didn't leave it in for LANs, but whatever I guess!

ONI breaker looks cute but isn't what I was really hoping for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: