The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everything I know about FPS games I learned from John Romero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slonie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to lord the fact that the Mac ports of Doom ran in 640x480 off of my PC-using friends.

Then again, I think Quake was out by the time Doom got ported to the Mac.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible: A New Reality and Phocas Island 2 are quite possibly the greatest two ZDoom maps ever made. Impossible for it's highly original and entertainingly confusing idea and Phocas 2 for the gameplay and exquisite use of detail.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a noob, how to I run those?

I don't see them available in the GZDoom menu.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just simply drag and drop the wad file onto the GZDoom executable or you could create a .bat file which has gzdoom.exe -file *wadname*.wad in it. I quite like doing batch files since I haven't gotten with the times yet so the drag and drop method might be preferred way of doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exquisite Corpse does exactly what it says on the tin. It's a great idea but I think there's too much backtracking. However it did inspire Congestion 1024 which was one of my favourite megawads of 2005. Thirty two maps that are no bigger than 1024x1024 units all designed to be completable from pistol starts with an emphasis on quick gameplay which you kind of have to have when your maps are this small. You can get a lot out of such small dimensions surprisingly although there are a few maps which don't match the quality of the others.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search reveals to me that MassMouth 2 hasn't been discussed here yet! This is a total conversion of Doom that is very hard, and it also happens to be the biggest one that exists! As you might imagine, it's had a lot of work put into it. So if you feel like it, check it out! I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen larger wads than MassMouth 2, RTC-3057 has the largest filesize (54MB!) for any wad and Daedalus is just epic (and green!). They also don't slow your movement speed which makes the view bob more pronounced. I've said things about RTC-3057 before, mostly that it does DooM 3 better than DooM 3 did. It's a very lonely wad even when there's lots of monsters to keep you company and the very last battle is quite holy shit especially if you are playing on Ultra Violence. The rest of the wad will probably never get finished. Be prepared to do some searching to solve the puzzles but it's nowhere near as bad as...

Daedalus is similar in that you have to figure things out only it requires more thinking and a high tolerance to the colour green. Roughly two thirds of the textures feature green in some form, even the ones that are grey and maybe the one or two that are maroon. If any of those colours are your favourite ever colours you should immediately jump straight into it. Looking at the green and grey will give you something to do whilst you hit your head against your desk trying to figure out what to do. If you haven't dug out your eyes in frustration.

If you start hating the shit out of Daedalus play Void instead, because it looks very much American McGee's Alice and is far easier on the brain.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of weird mods, i'm not the only one who played the hl2 mod mistake of pythagoras?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone played the No One Lives Forever games? I've beaten them both several times and highly recommend them. They don't do too much to add to the FPS genre, but they are solid and hilarious at the same time.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played them and loved them, though the first is better than the second. They are heavily influenced by Goldeneye, but with better technology and humour, so it worked well for me!

Also, skydiving shootout.

Also, tornado showdown.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The airplane/skydiving sequence in NOLF was highly inspired. Complete with last-second grab of a henchman's parachute at the end. Would do business with again.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

within the realm of Goldeneye-progeny games, opinions on Time Splitters?

For a while, they were the only FPS going on GC save for (pauses to spit) Turok.

I thought they were pretty competent, and fun, the writing lacked a bit of grace, and the whole plot was just a "how can we make as many differing interesting environments as possible, but still, a lot of nice touches. I know some people griped about the controls.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of fun with the multi player on Timesplitters with my buddies.
Neal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
within the realm of Goldeneye-progeny games, opinions on Time Splitters?

For a while, they were the only FPS going on GC save for (pauses to spit) Turok.

I thought they were pretty competent, and fun, the writing lacked a bit of grace, and the whole plot was just a "how can we make as many differing interesting environments as possible, but still, a lot of nice touches. I know some people griped about the controls.

I adore the Timesplitters series, 100% completion on both 2 and Future Perfect. While I enjoyed the single player campaigns quite a bit, both games eventually overtook Halo for my group's LAN games of choice which was a lot more fun with the mapmakers. While they are not incredibly "deep" games by any stretch of the imagination, if you combine the multiplayer and single player games with the arcade challenges, there's a lot of game and fun to be had.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was never impressed with timesplitters myself. it feels very consoley (which is what i didn't like about nolf as well) in that the controls are chunky and floaty. that is not cool. (well it works for some people but we all have problems)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This piece has just raised my interest in Call of Duty 4 from non-existent to "fuck, I need to play this at least once".

This is the sort of thing I believe Valve introduced us too, and the pay-off is growing. My understanding with TimeShift is that all the snippet cutscenes never intrude on the present events of the game, only give flashbacks to the "past" and such, which seem acceptable to me (Perhaps someone can prove me wrong here?).
Neal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i was never impressed with timesplitters myself. it feels very consoley (which is what i didn't like about nolf as well) in that the controls are chunky and floaty. that is not cool. (well it works for some people but we all have problems)

I can't really debate that except to say that the Timesplitters games are "consoley" which is also to say that you either love it or hate it to begin with. On the same hand, I've never really viewed the games as the spiritual successors to Goldeneye or Perfect Dark anyways, they were just my only fps options on the Gamecube back when that was the only console I owned for a period of time. They worked then for me and still work now.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i played goldeneye once and i've never played perfect dark so i had no real attachment going in; the art design is solid, however.

if there's one thing that sticks out in my mind re: fps games on the console is that the fov often seems weird - which would contribute to the chunky feeling - but that might be a few years of widescreen pc talking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
yeah i played goldeneye once and i've never played perfect dark so i had no real attachment going in; the art design is solid, however.

if there's one thing that sticks out in my mind re: fps games on the console is that the fov often seems weird - which would contribute to the chunky feeling - but that might be a few years of widescreen pc talking.

I can see that. I have always enjoyed both console and PC fps games, though I've never had a widescreen pc until recently.

I've also wondered a little bit if the way the screen sways when you're walking in PC fps games is more......fluid? than the way it does on console fps games. I don't have any evidence to back this up with except in trying to figure out why I preferred Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the PC rather than on Live. It seems picky, but that's why I like these forums to begin with.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
This piece has just raised my interest in Call of Duty 4 from non-existent to "fuck, I need to play this at least once".

Hmm, I DO know quite a lot of people who will be playing this on XBL, having an interesting single player experience may just push me into the "actually getting it" camp.

Maybe.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played a Timesplitters game. I always wanted to, but there were like three out at the time and I didn't know which to get, plus it sounded mostly like a multiplayer game, and since I have few gamer friends left and they couldn't be taken online, I had to give them a pass. What's the single-player like?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Never played a Timesplitters game. I always wanted to, but there were like three out at the time and I didn't know which to get, plus it sounded mostly like a multiplayer game, and since I have few gamer friends left and they couldn't be taken online, I had to give them a pass. What's the single-player like?

As from above, I enjoy the games but they are not everyone's cup of tea. There's a lot of game there even for a single player experience. I see Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect around cheaper than it costs to rent them so even if you're not into them, you're not out much.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I decided to give Killzone a second shot today. It's still pretty awful, honestly. Top it all off with the terrible Playstation controller and I quit within 30 minutes.

Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
What's the single-player like?

Co-operative.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cod4 single player will be cod-esque; a lot of dying, uncanny grenades, and setpieces. the story seems absolutely terrible in an "invasion usa" style 80s cold war film way. i'm really not so into that, and coupled with the short length of the single player i think this might be another not really full price game.

looks frigging amazing, though.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after a little chat with Dracko, I played some 007 and Perfect Dark today, via N64 emulation. The games run mostly great, look surprisingly decent with all the graphical enhancements, and play wonderfully with a WASD+moust plug0in, though some emulation errors still exist. Really, it feels like I'm playing a PC game.

007 plays brilliantly, but I was mostly interested in Perfect Dark since I only hired that when I was all about the N64. It's not as good as Goldeneye! It's not bad though. It's a good action game, lots of shooting broken up by interesting objectives, and some good art direction (if you like blade runner) decent level design, even if it's very linear, unlike 007. The second half of the game is a bit weak though. It's pretty much all running around shooting, the level design becomes maze-like and confusing, and it generally feels like a run-of-the-mill shooter, unlike the first half of the game which felt like being part of a fun action movie.

And as imbalanced as they are, some of the weapons and items in this game are real fun, as well as the additions and fixes since 007, such as disarming enemies, enemy chatter, alt fire modes and smoothing out enemy AI and movement and stuff. Too bad most of this stuff isn't seen in the last half of the game!

Oh well, time to blaze through Goldeneye!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

I actually consider them better single player or co-op games; esp. co-op.

Probably other games do deathmatches better, but they're very competent.

The minigame challenges are good as well; "cat racing" in Future Imperfect had a nice feel to it, though it was damn tough.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new version of Synergy just came out. It's like Sven Coop but for source. Sadly from what I've played, it seems like Synergy is suffering from the same thing Sven Coop did. A lot of maps, but only a handful are enjoyable.

So maybe the TGQ crew needs to gather round and play some Synergy or Sven Coop? Just because the majority of the maps are bad doesn't mean that there no good ones.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Timesplitters might be worth a look. They came out on the GC, right? Then I can just play them on my Wii because i can't be bothered taking out my PS2.

Anyway! I've been playing Goldeneye. This game is awesome with moust look and a smooth frame rate! Still one of the best FPS games I've played. Cleared it on Agent, but anyone can do that in like an hour, so I'm going to jump to 007 mode where the real game is. I'm still convinved that if this game was updated it would still be a hit today!

I kinda feel like playing through Deus Ex again, so I'll probably end up doing that soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldeye is probably the FPS I spent most time on. I remember in Elementary school, every day after class my friends and I would all meet up at one of our houses, and just sit there and play Goldeneye for hours.

Great game, with great memories.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenEye sucks in 00 Agent mode because of the constantly respawing enemies who'll pop up behind you and shit. It doesn't matter how silent you are, or how familiar with the map you are, there's always going to be some fuck that will shoot you in the back sooner of later.

Cycle, any good graphic inputs for Project 64? Black skies are kind of a downer after a while.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Sounds like Timesplitters might be worth a look. They came out on the GC, right? Then I can just play them on my Wii because i can't be bothered taking out my PS2.

I think the first (which had had even less of a story, just a bunch of set pieces) is PS2 only but 2 and "Future Imperfect" are GC as well.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Dracko wrote:

Hmm, I DO know quite a lot of people who will be playing this on XBL, having an interesting single player experience may just push me into the "actually getting it" camp.

So, I uh, picked the game up. I haven't touched single player but I have to say that the online multiplayer is brilliantly put together. It unlocks weapons and attachments as you progress in kills and other things, and it also unlocks other little perks like deep penetrating bullets and stuff. There's something particularly awesome about watching a guy try to hide behind a cement block wall that you can tear through with your automatic machine gun.

Also, the multiplayer level design ranges from good to brilliant, with possibly more maps than any other game I've seen on shipment day (16). In most games I feel that the multiplayer maps are too horizontally oriented and wide open (Halo is one of the worst offenders), but CoD4 is both vertically and horizontally oriented, and even when it's mostly horizontal it still manages to feel less "flat" because of all the topographical shifts.

So, I guess, I'm pretty impressed. I played for 6 hours straight last night and never touched single-player. The attention to detail and "realism" are not something I'm generally use to from Western companies, especially not ones that are riding out a series I hung up for dead after what was cod3.

EDIT: also Spetsnaz

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
GoldenEye sucks in 00 Agent mode because of the constantly respawing enemies who'll pop up behind you and shit. It doesn't matter how silent you are, or how familiar with the map you are, there's always going to be some fuck that will shoot you in the back sooner of later.

Cycle, any good graphic inputs for Project 64? Black skies are kind of a downer after a while.

Dracko what are you talking about, the respawning enemies are on certain levels (or appear at certain points on levels) no matter what difficulty you're playing on! The enemy placement and frequency remains unchanged! That's the genius of it! Instead of throwing more touger/enemies at you (actually they are tougher in the chest since they all seem to wear body armour, but one shot to the head will take them down, and shooting them in the arms and legs will keep them busy while you finish them off), they give you more objectives, take away body armour so you only get like 6 or so hits before you die (I think there is still body armour on one or two levels, though) and the amount of ammo dropped my enemies is much more lower, thus forcing the player to be more tactical.

For the most part, I think respawning enemies were used in brilliant ways, but there are a few levels/moments in levels where it's like oh for fucks sake >:|, like the second surface level.

I used to have a good graphics plugin but lost it. Now I only have the updated version of the included plug-in, but it didn't solve the black skies problem.

Last edited by Cycle on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it turns out Dracko was right! They DO have a few more respawns in 007 mode!

Though only in one of the first seven levels so far.

The first Surface level... normally, the patrol men would respawn which is ok because they can be easily killed and avoided plus it was fun having people to shoot, but in 007 you get a bunch of clowns always running towards your current position! It's a bit cheap and is what made the second surface level annoying!

Apart from this instance, the first seven levels are the same, enemy count wise! So, only one cock-up on 007 mode so far! Let's hope they keep the count low as I continue through it! I'm having a ball so far, 007 really is lots of fun.

I'm glad they included the ability to turn off auto-aim even back in these days, otherwise playing with a mouse would be way too easy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what does the 007 mode over the 00 mode?

Also, all that's required to unlock the two bonus levels is to beat the game in 00 mode, right?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't mind me, I mean 00 mode, not 007 mode. OOPS. Boy, is my face red.

To unlock the first level, you have to finish every level on Secret Agent. To access the last level, you have to beat every level on 00 Agent. The first secret level is rad, based on Moonraker, the second one isn't really worth the trouble, though (but you unlock the golden gun for beating it which is awesome). You can also unlock them with a cheat code!

On another note, the Silo mission is the only one I could never finish on 00 Agent. I ended up using the cheat code to see the last level.

And now I'm going to make a list of respawns because I fell like it. Levels where respawns occur due to an enemy hitting an alarm doesn't count, since it's only briefly and it's because you weren't quick enough to kill him anyway.

DAM: No respawns

FACILITY: Four enemies spawn behind you, after you enter the door which must be opened remotely. Silly, but easily dealt with once you're aware of it. You'll also face an endless stream of enemies if you hang around after the confrontation with whatshisface at the end of the level, but it's an Evil Otto mechanic since your'e supposed to be escaping, plus I leave before it even occurs.

RUNWAY: Enemies on runway respawn, which again is an Evil Otto mechanic since you're supposed to be making a DARING escape. Also, you have a tank.

SURFACE: Patrol men respawn on lower difficulties, keeping the level populated, 00 Agent mode has stupid respawns.

BUNKER: Enemies spawn from exit once the alarm is set off by Boris, setting up yet another DARING ESCAPE.

SILO: No respawns.

FRIGATE: No respawns.

SURFACE II: Stupid respawns as seen in Surface1 in 00 Agent mode, except it's like this on all difficulties now.

BUNKER II: No respawns.

STATUE: Constant respawns, one of the few run and gun levels.

ARCHIVES: No respawns.

STREETS: No respawns.

DEPOT: Constant respawns, another run and gun level except you actually have a couple real objectives on this one, unlike STATUE.

TRAIN: No respawns, though a couple enemies will pop out of previously locked rooms.

JUNGLE: No respawns, except right at the end of the level where you have to fight your way to the elevator.

CONTROL: No respawns until whatsherface set's off the alarm, leaving you to fight your way out.

CAVERNS: No respawns.

CRADLE: Another run and gun, this time chasing the boss towards a final showdown.

AZTEC: Slowly respawning enemies, IIRC, or none at all.

EGYPTION: Respawning enemies OUT THE WAZOO.

THE END.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cycle, talk to me about pathways into darkness.

it looks like i'll never be able to play it and i'm pretty curious!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the hardest game you'll ever play!

I finished it, I can't remember if I cheated or not. Either way, I got a bad ending because I'm an idiot and forget to set us up the bomb! All the work for nothing.

It's an FPS/RPG, kinda like ultima underworld but much more FPS. Some alien warns our race of a sleeping demon at the bottom of a pyramid, so we're sent to nuke that fucker! Something goes wrong, you're seperated from your squad, and you have to find them, find the bomb, find the code to initiate it, take it to the bottom of the pyramid and set it, and do it before the demon wakes up and fucks up earth!

You can explore the pyramid freely, can only save on certain runes, can hold conversations with the dead (old skool conversations, where you have to actually type in topics), solve tricky puzzles (one involving using an item that speeds up time. Also, this is the first game to have bullet time), collect potions and different guns, rest to heal, and it is also terrifying, even if some of the monsters are hilariously lame.

There is this one brilliant part where you end up on a level devoid of monsters and find half of your squad (all dead, fyi most of the other dead people are germans who have their own story to tell), and they all got killed by certain monster. It really got me scared to face this thing, hearing them describe it in horror, only to realise that it's on the very same level you're on (of course) and has started hunting you the second you arrived. THAT THING WAS TERRIFYING.

There are a lot of problems with the game, aside from the insane difficulty, the draw distance is very low (though this helps make the game scary), the corridors are too cramped to fight in (forcing you to retreat into larger rooms) and the player character moves too god damn slowly. They took all they learned from this game and applied it to Marathon THANK GOODNESS.

Still, I liked it enough to plug through the whole damn thing, but not enough to try to get the better ending.

ON AN UNRELATED NOTE, I caved in and started Deus Ex again. Time has not been kind to this game, but I still love it.

The most amazing thing is, I looked in multiplayer as a joke, only to find several dedicated servers and people actually playing right at that time. I joined a game, and after downloading a thousand extra files, got in the game. It seems to have been improved since I played it, mainly thanks to mods, but I don't see any reason why someone would play this! It was laggy (I don't think there are an Aussie servers, tragically) so I left, but I'm gonna go back another time and ask them questions, because I just need to know why they are playing Deus Ex online.

Because, like.

Seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunker II is a pain in the arse with all those dual-wielding shitheels. There spawning is finite, yes? You're certain? Because they throw a lot at you.

P.S. Another reason to set sights on Call of Duty 4.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the hell is that?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unlockable Ragtime Mode, which accelerates the game by 20%, adds a sepia filter and mutes all the sound while adding that piano ditty. You can play the entire game with it on, apparently.

dhex, have you played GoldenEye or Perfect Dark?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok that's fucking awesome.

i played a few minutes of goldeneye multiplayer while trying to buy a fuckload of acid from this dude back in college (96 or so) and uh snooze. we'd been playing quake lan so it seemed kinda cheesy to me. (got a great deal on the acid though)

i've never played perfect dark.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COD4 for me as well but I really, really need to play through Deus Ex soon. Before the ravages of time work on it for too long.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
An unlockable Ragtime Mode, which accelerates the game by 20%, adds a sepia filter and mutes all the sound while adding that piano ditty. You can play the entire game with it on, apparently.

That is awesome.

Another thing, which I don't know if multiplayer interests anyone here, but COD4 has both unlocable "hardcore" and "oldcore" multiplayer modes. Hardcore makes most bullets one hit kills, but it also removes all of your HUD items and so forth. Oldcore is hardcore, plus the jumping and physics of one of the older games. The guys I play with haven't been willing to give either a shot yet since we're still learning the maps, but I really want to play them.

Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, beat GoldenEye in 00 mode. Then I lost interest. Sad
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you've pretty much seen all the game by that point!

Also Bunker II is one of my favourite levels! PROTIP: There are knives in the sewer at the start, get them with your watch magnet, then you can just sit by the door and wait for all the patrolmen to come, and kill them silently one by one with knives. I prefer to just go out there and bump into them, sticking a knive in their head before they can shoot me. Also, there is a safe on the level with two silenced pistols in it.

Also Goldeneye was genius when it came to multiplayer, with all the options, but the technical limitations of the engine let it down compared to Quake.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I beat that one when I realised I had somehow managed to set off the alarm without realising it. Then I wasn't hassled by those constant respawns. It's down to stealth in that one, definitely.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Also Goldeneye was genius when it came to multiplayer, with all the options, but the technical limitations of the engine let it down compared to Quake.

Yeah, it really slowed down whenever explosions were on the screen, as I remember. But it was pretty much unsurpassed for years as far as console FPS multiplayer was concerned. Halo was the first thing to sucessfully replace it, and that was about 8 years later.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved how they had handicaps, gave my friends a chance... and also, there were different weapon sets, so it wasn't all FIRST TO THE ROCKET LAUNCHER WINS crap like in Quake, plus lots of fun modes, lots of skins, decent levels..

Dracko you are asking lots of people what they think of Goldeney and Perfect Dark, what do YOU think of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 5 of 23

Jump to: