The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official TGQ Virtual Console And Live Arcade Games Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DooM plays really well with the xbox controller! It's quite awesome. I wish there was SOME kind of graphic enhancement option, though.

Then again, it could have been as bad as the Marathon ehanced graphics which are just awful. Seriously, what? Thankfully the original graphics still look nice. I wish I could leave the hi-res textures on, though. Anyway, this also plays great on the xbox, after fooling aroudn with the settings for a bit. I've been owning people in deathmatchm, yay. Also, survival mode is a great addition.

space giraffe is pretty pimp, as the kids say.

anything digital eclipse are responsible for is dissapointing, mainly because their demos always last for like five seconds.

crystal quest was fucked up in every possible way.

mad tracks isn't terribly good.

well, etc, etc. what other games should i check out? most of the other games seem pretty medicore so far.

although i must admit this cloning clyde game is kinda cool. gives me a lost vikings vibe.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Then again, it could have been as bad as the Marathon ehanced graphics which are just awful. Seriously, what? Thankfully the original graphics still look nice. I wish I could leave the hi-res textures on, though. Anyway, this also plays great on the xbox, after fooling aroudn with the settings for a bit. I've been owning people in deathmatchm, yay. Also, survival mode is a great addition.

see, you ended up liking it after all.

pac-man championship edition is one of the best games made in the past year, but i'm sure you know that already. i also like shrapnel's take on missile command, though i seem to be the only one. and carcassonne is a perfect game to play while chatting up friends.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

see, you ended up liking it after all.

Only after I turned off the crosshairs! Thankfully, everyone on xbox live seems to suck even when using crosshairs so I don't feel so cheated about it now.

DooM was tragically unplayable when I tried to play it online Sad

I do enjoy chatting up friend. I have the demo of it, I haven't tried it yet though.

I guess when my next paycheck comes I will purchase:

Pac-man CE (even though I'm dissapointed it doesn't include the original game with super duper graphics anywhere).
Bomberman, assuming other people still play it?
Carcassonne.

Will more follow? Only time will tell.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
carcassonne is a perfect game to play while chatting up babes

ryan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy Catan, but the end game can be a bit of a squeeze as the computer tends to get some really great rolls and cards. Catan and Pac-Man C.E. have accounted for more playing time than most other titles I've come across this year, combined.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super C has hit the Wii virtual console.... It has been years upon years since I played that one. What is the verdict? Does it stand-up to the original?
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's the arcade version, which I don't really care for...don't know if it's a good port.

Oops, I thought we were talking xbox. I really like Super C for the nes. Granted I haven't played as much of it as Contra. But it seems a bit smoother, has some nice top down segments, and opens really well.

Last edited by Mr Mustache on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
silentmatt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, looks like it is the original NES version.

Nintendo Press Release wrote:
Super C™ (NES®, 1-2 players, rated E for Everyone – Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points)

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
DooM was tragically unplayable when I tried to play it online Sad

it works pretty well on co-op with friends. I've played Doom way more co-op than solo, and I've probably completed the entire game about 5 times on co-op combined at this point.

I recommend also checking out Assault Heroes and Small Arms. They are both pretty fantastic (I THINK SO Motherfuckers!) but Small Arms isn't as good solo, and I don't know anyone that has it.

I also have worms.

Oh, fucking avoid Double Dragon. Not only are the HD graphics god awful, but the game (somehow) slows down to a crawl with more more than two people on screen. I bought it before playing the demo and way beyond disapointed.

Also, all Sega Classic ports use Digital Eclipse middleware. So while the presentation isn't as bad as other DE games, the emulation is.

Public Service Announcement Kids: Digital Eclipse is now Foundation 9. Don't let _the man_ trick you.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
silentmatt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Worms....

Open Warfare 2 (for PSP and, I believe, DS) is now out. I am playing a copy on my PSP and... it is really good! They fixed almost everything that I disliked about the first one, made the interface sensible, made the worms themselves customizable, added both ad hoc (like before) AND infrastructure modes, supplied a custom level editor, puzzle mode (which is actually really fun and sometimes tricky), 6 single player campaigns.... they really went all out for this game.

So good.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i thought TMNT was on live arcade where did it go

Anyway, I'm trying to get the vidmaster achievement on my own, but after reading about how the game scores and saves, I don't think it's going to happen! Freeverse sure cocked up a few things, but some of it is Microsofts fault. Losers.

Some of these levels sure are painful on Total Carnage! I look forward to when the game calms down after Durandal is dealt with.

All in all, a very solid port apart from some problems here and there, mostly to do with the console. My friend is number #4 on the deathmatch leaderboard! Too bad the scoring and stuff for this game is so messed up.

I also played through DooM, being not too far off from Alfred Packers score which I was pretty happy about since I was just playing it as I usually do, not for score. Maybe I'll attempt to beat him one day, but probably not. If it was DooM 2, on the other hand...

I'd really love to see that on Live Arcade. The whole time I was playing doom, I was wishing it was the second game which is better in virtually every way IN MY OPINION. I barely play the original DooM because of it.

Also, why are these ancient arcade ports like 40 megs? Madness!

One more thing! What has this Wing Commander game got to do with Wing Commander! The game looks interesting as a stand-alone title, but it's hard to tell by the demo! Seriously, I'd buy way more if the demos were more generous. Right now I don't buy some of them in sheer spite out of not letting me play more than two minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I also played through DooM, being not too far off from Alfred Packers score which I was pretty happy about since I was just playing it as I usually do, not for score. Maybe I'll attempt to beat him one day, but probably not. If it was DooM 2, on the other hand...

I'd really love to see that on Live Arcade. The whole time I was playing doom, I was wishing it was the second game which is better in virtually every way IN MY OPINION. I barely play the original DooM because of it.

Yeah, the old shareware and episode model makes Doom a little weird. In Doom 2 there is enough time for the game to keep building up to where it gets manic, but in the original, the game has to keep resetting its difficulty with each new episode, so you only get these peaks of difficulty. Although that does make the levels more approachable in the original, since most are pretty straightforward; some of the levels in Doom 2 are ridiculous.

I'm going through all of the Doom titles now. I don't know when I decided I was going to, but I guess I did. I finished Doom 2 and am on episode 3 of Doom. I have episode 4 of Doom left, Final Doom, Doom 3 and Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil to go. I started Doom 3 last night. I'm fidgity enough the game still makes me jump. (All of these are the PC versions.)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a content pack available for bomberman. it features two new maps, neither of which is the everybody-starts-at-full-power map. and there doesn't seem to be any effort to address any of the numerous bugs and shortcomings of the game.

come on, hudson america. this is like the only thing you have to do, besides make youtube videos. get it together.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week on XBLA we have AHAHAHAHAHA Fatal Fury Special.

nice job on the selection there, SNK. on the bright side, it looks like SNK Playmore ported it themselves, instead of some third party, and it appears to be a halfway decent port of a terrible, boring game. Here's hoping for Garou, or KoF98, or something someone might actually want to play online!
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's so bad about Fatal Fury Special?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not sensible soccer ;__;

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooohhh.

Good answer!
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
What's so bad about Fatal Fury Special?

It's clunky, unbalanced, and an all around unremarkable fighting game. It's debut is even more disappointing, since SNK could've chosen one of the many excellent games from their past, but they chose fucking Fatal Fury Special instead.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The (un)official word on Sensible Soccer is now "before the end of the year (we think)".

Bastards.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was anything released on live arcade today? where's my sensible soccer? where's my every extend? when are they finally going to reset the space giraffe boards so i can play without fear of my high score being erased?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic 2 came out!

And patches have to go through the MS approvial process just like games. So they're probably stuck bouncing back and forth with MS.

ryan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After how Sonic treated you, I don't think I'll be giving Sonic 2 a whirl. The Genesis Collection version is good enough, until I finally hook my Genesis back up (I'm coming for you, baby!). I still can't get enough of Sonic 2's bonus stages. They blew my mind when I was younger and I enjoyed them almost as much when I was going through the Genesis Collection.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just use my Wii and the Sonic Mega Collection for all my sonic needs.

Or, I pull out my Genesis (but that's not hooked up and won't be until much later this year).

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeeaaaah! PC Engine CD and Duo games comin' to Wii starting next month!

I had a dream that I was trying to buy a PC Engine last night. Am I a nerd!?

Last edited by Lestrade on Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only nerds buy pc-engines? ;__;
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In their dreams, they do. Then they find out what they're looking at isn't a PC Engine, but a rare PC Engine/NES hybrid, and according to the dream sticker price, it cost something like $2378.

I've had many dreams over the past few years about trying to buy a PCE Duo. It's really sad. Then when I was in Akiba this year I totally held one in my hands and couldn't buy it, because it was around $230, and I just couldn't justify it.

I think I have mental issues.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to have these dreams where I would go to the store and buy a Casset/CD hybrid Walkman and then take it onto the bus and listen to my cassets and CDs.

Nothing else really happen in the dreams, and nothing was bizarre about it. When I woke up the next morning (the first time I had the dream) I was honestly a little confused about why I didn't have the damn thing.

I also use to have dreams that I was Mega Man's brother and we would get all the way to Dr. Wily and when he would give his "Bwahahaha" talk I would kill MM and join Dr. Wily to take over the world.

Yeah. We kind of looked like the MM from the cover of MM2.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's terrific. We should have a page in Issue #9 in which that exact story is set in 32-point Helvetica for no reason whatsoever.

My first Duo dream found me in a bazaar in the desert. I was so excited to find a Duo, yet something distracted me (Common Sense, probably) and I ran towards a tree line, and then everything faded to white and I woke up.
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this dream when I was younger that involved me being in a small room in an older house going towards a treasure chest. Inside were tons and tons of games, the main one I remember being Aliens vs Predator for the Game Boy. Waking up sucked. I went from a feeling of joy to being shocked I didn't really have a copy of Aliens vs Predator. I should go buy it off ebay so I can put it next to my bed before I go to sleep next week.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I should go buy it off ebay so I can put it next to my bed before I go to sleep next week.

Then take like a dozen melatonin so that you can have crazy dreams in an attempt to recreate your childhood!

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I went to that local vintage game shop I mentioned before on an official TGQ mission. I couldn't find anything I wanted to buy there, and upon returning home I decided to join my wife in her cleaning frenzy.

This meant that I eventually cleaned, re-wired and re-organized my little entertainment area. It was lookin' so purty, I wanted to play something on it. Frustrated with my inability to find a classic game at the shop, I headed to the Wii Shop Channel (what treachery!).

I ended up overdosing on ninjas; I got Ninja Spirit and Shinobi III. Man, I forgot how I love Shinobi III; it's one of those utterly perfect games. It's meticulously constructed, and its sounds and visuals are just in a league of their own. I blazed through about half of it in a sitting.

Ninja Spirit is awesome as well; I think I just love the game's looks. I ended up with double shadows and was murdalizing everything in site for a while; man, does the game get hard if you die mid-game and don't have your shadows anymore! It's almost better to just start from the beginning and maintain your momentum.

Hey: if Donkey Kong Country can come out for VC, can't Killer Instinct? Give me hope, people.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSN was updated already... They added the Skate demo (which people seem to really want, considering how much bitching was going on about it prior) as well as some other crap that is already on Live.

The "main attraction", I guess, is the 'interactive screensaver' that is the new Loco Roco game. It costs around $8 Canadian and, on a whim, I decided to buy it. It is in the queue of things to download (right after the Skate demo) so, I'll probably report back later tonight, after class.

PS: OK, I officially hate the fact the Live is getting Ikaruga. That is so bloody amazing that it hurts. I am jealous (although, I can/do just play the [S]original[/S] version on the Wii, but still).

Last edited by silentmatt on Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
PS: OK, I officially hate the fact the Live is getting Ikaruga. That is so bloody amazing that it hurts. I am jealous (although, I can/do just play the original version on the Wii, but still).

The "original" version would be the DC. But yeah, you should totally trade in your PS3 for an 360.

GcDiaz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! What about Metal Gear!?

Ugh, as much as I want to play the game, I can't bring myself to spend $500 for the console. I just hope and pray that by the time I decide to take the plunge there are still some 60gb units stashed away somewhere.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anything come out for Wii VC today?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. Streets of Rage 3 (Genesis), Legend of Hero Tonma (TG-16) and Kirby's Avalanche (NES) came out today.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, two previously Japan-only (well, almost) games are out today. But you'll be paying out the nose for Sin & Punishment! I will probably get both of these (the other is SMB: Lost Levels) soon enough!
SJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Super Mario Bros 2 is the original version instead of the enhanced Super Mario All-Stars version? Nintendo gets much respect from me if this SMB2 is an English translation of the original disk version.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Sin & Punishment (alongside The Lost Levels) was released today, to celebrate Nintendo's new "Import Games" category.

I've heard S&P referenced a few times... Worth purchasing?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo yo yo I just said this, dawg!

I think SMB2 is the original, not the All-Stars version.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yeah.. Sorry Lestrade, I totally missed your post. Is Sin and Punishment really that expensive? I probably will buy it at some point.

Lost Levels I played through enough times on All-Stars (although I realize this is a different version.. but really, could that much have been changed?) that I probably don't need to play through it again.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the prices on these? I may honestly boot up my Wii just to support these (also I've really needed to play S&P since I saw it played at Wes' house).

silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
What are the prices on these?

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels™ (NES®, 1 player, 600 Wii Points)
and..
Sin & Punishment™ (Nintendo 64, 1-2 players, 1,200 Wii Points)

What that means in "real person money" I cannot, for the moment, say.

edit: According to this, Lost Levels is about $6.00 US or $7.20 Canadian, while Sin and Punishment is $12.00 US or $14.40 Canadian. I hope that Nintendo realizes that our dollar is actually much higher than that one of these days.

edit2: you seriously have to pay to download the web-browser now? According to that page, it is 500 points! Damn, I certainly wouldn't want to pay to use that piece of crap browser.

Last edited by silentmatt on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting six years to play Sin and Punishment.

I just downloaded it. It is glorious!
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be buying, playing, and maybe even making love to both of these. Sin and Punishment is in my top 10 games of all time and is easily my favorite Treasure game. If you have a Wii and you don't download it and you hate yourself. If you don't have a Wii and you don't buy one for Sin and Punishment you hate yourself.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sold on a Wii right now.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
So, Sin & Punishment (alongside The Lost Levels) was released today, to celebrate Nintendo's new "Import Games" category.

good on you, nintendo. good on you.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after spending more than a half hour updating and getting my wii wifi to work, I finally got onto the store and downloaded: Sin & Punishment and SMB2(j). Then I ended up with 800points left over so I... got Super Metroid. Yes, yes, I know, I've complained about it more than anything, but I had the points just sitting there (and I probably owe the game a second chance).

Sin&Punishment's release is odd because it's that game that's been spouted off at every point from people/sources which are known for starting faulty rumors as coming to the US Wii. So I just never thought it would happen right? Well, I guess wrong. With this and SMB2(j) I bought them mostly on principal just because I like patting Nintendo on the back for not forgetting people like me.

S&P is just as good as I remembered it being from my 15 minutes with it. Which is pretty good honestly. The controls are awful though! Well, they're juts exceptionally original I guess. They work better than I expected, but I still really don't like those analogue sticks on the wii classic controller. I should probably just pull out my Hori controller for games that don't require the analogue stick.

Also, I just found out that Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Genny) came out on the VC. This is possibly my favorite version of the old games.

Also, more Carcassone content coming out today. I wonder what it will be...

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oo.

we have not carcassonned in a while.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
we have not carcassonned in a while.

Oh, nice, the new expansion is called Barons and Kings (or something like that) which adds 7 new tiles and also new rules. Baron is the person who makes the longest road and then at the end of the game gets one point per completed road. King is the person who finishes (note that I didn't say owns) the biggest castle and at the end of the game gets one point per finished castle.

I didn't buy this last night, but a friend told me about it and it sems worth 300 ms points to me (I also bought the Rivers II expansion a while back). If you want to play dess let me know. We should try to get toups in on it too.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait you gotta pay for the expansions? what am i, made of money

is tetris live any good?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: