The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i've got my spine i've got my orange box
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: i've got my spine i've got my orange box Reply with quote

[NOW ABOUT MORE THAN TF2 I GUESS]

Team Fortress 2, even. It's in beta now for anybody who's pre-ordered the Orange Box, and it's good.

It's so good. It's the best class-based FPS I've ever played and it's so unbelievably stylishly good. All the levels are gorgeous, the animations and superb, the silly little interactions are delightful. And yet it's an amazingly deep and beautiful game. Every class is unique and potent and contributes. Gameplay is hectic and fast and seamless and intuitive.

I can't recommend it enough, and I can't believe how much fun it is and how easy it is to get into. There's been a lot of love poured into this and it really, really shows. I would urge everyone to get into it if they can, it's simply amazing and is the sort of game people will be telling anecdotes about for years to come.

Also, pre-order the Orange Box now and get PEGGLE EXTREME for free, the most EXTREME puzzle game I've ever played.

Last edited by The Great Unwashed on Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be in like flyn. For the 360.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just gonna post what I put in the other topic.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Portal more than Episode 2 actually. Episode 1 just left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe if Episode 1 lasted longer than five minutes I could of enjoyed it more.

Now I will go way in-depth, perhaps too in-depth, on some of the changes from TFC to TF2.

TF2 is a lot of fun though. For the most part, all of the original levels are still there, and you can play them in the beta. The layout for the levels remain almost exactly the same, save for a few small details and the look of the level. 2fort for example has almost the exact same layout, except for the elevator leading down the the flag is replaced with stairs. The level design also looks like kinda like a barn on the outside and upper levels of the fort, but gets all technological secret hidden base on ya on the lower levels.

All of the classes are pretty well balanced out now, especially since there are no more nades. Scout can double jump and now has a weak pistol, and Demomans timed grenade is now a sticky timed grenade so it can stick to walls, roofs and the like. The Medic is a lot more useful now in certain ways, because he can heal from a good distance away now, he actually has a healing beam. The healing beam gradually charges whenever you heal someone, and when the healing beam is fully charged, you can unleash an Ubercharge that allows you and the person you are targeting to become invulnerable for a short amount of time. Spy can cloak himself invisible, and he's completely 100% invisible. None of that quasi-cloaking where you can see the Spy because the terrain in front of you suddenly turns all wobbly and distorted. The cloaking ability is limited to a time-frame, and you must be completely un-cloaked before you can attack someone. Pyro no longer has the incendiary cannon, but his flamethrower is beefed up, and can actually deal some serious damage now. Snipers now auto-charge when zoomed in, but that's the only way to charge the rifle. Engineers haven't really changed much at all, and neither have soldiers. I don't know about Heavymen because I refuse to play as them.

TF2 seems a lot more coop than TFC. I've yet to join a server where my team isn't communicating with each other frequently. Now that the game has been out for a little bit, people are starting to fit into there favorite classes well, and can really come together with the rest of the team to form some nice teamwork. Medics typically know their job and do it well. They'll stick to a Soldier or Heavy for the most part and heal him as he rampages through the enemy defenses. Engi's know where to put their SGs on the new maps, and where to put the dispensers.

I'm really surprised at how quickly this game has come into its own. Especially since most of the hardcore TFC leaguers don't bother with TF2.

The best times I've had with TF2 though, are when I'm playing with people from my Ventrilo server. We can keep in constant communication and what-not, and typically one of us will be the Medic, another will be the attacking class, and we just let loose on the enemies.

Alright, this is one of those things where I wrote so much that I really don't want to go back and proof-read, and make sure I don't sound like a complete maniac. So, I apologize in advance if what I just wrote puts you off.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that gets me more interested in the game.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, sounds great!

I remember someone on SB was bitching about how 'you can't make any progress without the help of other players, so it's boring', obviously having misunderstood the 'team' part of Team Fortress.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I remember someone on SB was bitching about how 'you can't make any progress without the help of other players, so it's boring', obviously having misunderstood the 'team' part of Team Fortress.

I forget who it was, but that complaint about TF2 led me to the realization that serious TFC players are like tournament Smash Bros. players in that they miss the point of the game they seem to love.
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's unfortunate how most team games don't end up being so. In Day of Defeat I would do something as simple as drop ammo off or protect riflemen as a machine gunner and it would make all the difference. Those are pretty much the basic responsibilities of the classes, it's just that no one would do them.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I am looking forward to playing this on my 360, in that I know a decent number of people on Live who actually like playing as a team, which makes all the difference. Shaper knows what's up, because he is the one who got me in with the Shadowrun crew we roll with, and those dudes know how working as a team works. It makes SR an even more amazing game.
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the few friends I have that will most likely pick up the Orange Box will make the 360 version the one to get. I prefer the mouse and keyboard combo, but I also enjoy the ease of use with the 360 and larger base of players (almost none of my friends play PC games). I know PC pre-orders in brick and mortar stores get people into the TF2 beta, I just wish there was some way for that to work with the 360 version because I'm dying to try it out. Man, I spent so much time with TFC.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
Shaper knows what's up, because he is the one who got me in with the Shadowrun crew we roll with, and those dudes know how working as a team works. It makes SR an even more amazing game.

Yeah, SR convinced me that even team based FPS games can really make them team based. Shit like Team Slayer on Halo isn't even really team based, you're just pooling skill. It's fairly unfortunate. Anyways, yes, it's pretty much exactly like SSB

Pavement

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

I forget who it was, but that complaint about TF2 led me to the realization that serious TFC players are like tournament Smash Bros. players in that they miss the point of the game they seem to love.

I'm not so sure about this. The appeal of Smash Bros. is its versatility.

Tournament players play on the completely neutral Final Destination stage with no items, yes? It might sound joyless in comparison to the complete mayhem most "normal" matches devolve / evolve into, but really, there's so much to these tournament games. High-level players have taken a subtle, disorienting glitch in the game -- wavedashing -- and adopted it for the purpose of confusing their opponents. Matches usually play out as series of splitsecond twitch wavedashes, with both players moving back and forth in the tiniest increments, trying simply to surprise each other. Conventional movesets have long been mastered, and matches are pretty much games of obfuscation . . . isn't it kind of appealing, in a Hypermodern-era-of-chess kind of way?

There's some relevant videos somewhere on the internet, I know that much.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, that doesn't sound appealing to me, and I have played a lot lot lot of Melee. But Team Fortress 2 does sound appealing. I look forward to buying a 360 and joining a team!
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Shit like Team Slayer on Halo isn't even really team based, you're just pooling skill.

Not true at all. A good Halo Team Slayer team knows to stick together so that any time someone goes in for a kill he'll have someone to clean up if they don't finish the job and knows when and where a teammate with the Sniper Rifle is so that they can lure the enemy out. You'd be surprised what a difference sticking together can make.

Apart from this, a super high-level team knows where all of the choke points are on each map and where to position everyone so that they can dominate the map.

The people who are really good know that the difference between a loss and victory relies more on teamwork than on aiming (unless you're playing with Sniper rifles).

-Wes
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what! 9 out of 10 times it's shotty and snipers only. Fuck slayer!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pavement wrote:
boojiboy7 wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

I'm not so sure about this. The appeal of Smash Bros. is its versatility.

Tournament players play on the completely neutral Final Destination stage with no items, yes? It might sound joyless in comparison to the complete mayhem most "normal" matches devolve / evolve into, but really, there's so much to these tournament games. High-level players have taken a subtle, disorienting glitch in the game -- wavedashing -- and adopted it for the purpose of confusing their opponents. Matches usually play out as series of splitsecond twitch wavedashes, with both players moving back and forth in the tiniest increments, trying simply to surprise each other. Conventional movesets have long been mastered, and matches are pretty much games of obfuscation . . . isn't it kind of appealing, in a Hypermodern-era-of-chess kind of way?

There's some relevant videos somewhere on the internet, I know that much.

Man, not to add to what I'm sure is already my reputation as "that wanker who only shows up as soon as you mention Smash Bros", but nah, it's kinda true, both that I seem to only wank on about Smash Bros. (see elsewhere), and that "high level" Smash Bros. matches are so formulaic as to render the delightful childish joy of the game into a fast-character only fake-festival. Nail-biting as that is, I find it more than just a little bit, I dunno, soulless. I guess the same is true of all strictly competitive play in all games, but y'know. There's obviously different levels to approach every game and fortunately TF2's classes encourage class-based synergies to the extent that you might not progress without hot teamwork but at least you won't suck.

Also, the stage of choice is usually Pokemon Stadium, because Final Destination actually favours characters like Samus and Fox immensely as they have complete ranged domination.

Anyway, yep. Team Fortress 2 is completely mad fun. I've been whoring the Engineer lately and having a great time. It's true in many ways to say that it sort of stalls if your team is retarded, and there are also a few classes, like the Engineer which are designed so that if you suck at playing it, you suck hard and your contribution is negligible. Most of the straight-up classes like Soldier, Heavy, Medic etc have a lot more leeway but the Engineer is such a static and dedicated class that if you fuck up, you just slow shit down.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
Man, not to add to what I'm sure is already my reputation as "that wanker who only shows up as soon as you mention Smash Bros", but nah, it's kinda true, both that I seem to only wank on about Smash Bros. (see elsewhere), and that "high level" Smash Bros. matches are so formulaic as to render the delightful childish joy of the game into a fast-character only fake-festival. Nail-biting as that is, I find it more than just a little bit, I dunno, soulless. I guess the same is true of all strictly competitive play in all games, but y'know. There's obviously different levels to approach every game and fortunately TF2's classes encourage class-based synergies to the extent that you might not progress without hot teamwork but at least you won't suck.

Also, the stage of choice is usually Pokemon Stadium, because Final Destination actually favours characters like Samus and Fox immensely as they have complete ranged domination.

Hmmm fair enough that these matches are formulaic but I disagree with boojiboy's statement that tournament players are simply missing the point of the game. The point of Smash Bros., I'd argue, is how the game can accommodate so many levels of play with such grace. That you get uptight Pokemon Stadium-wavedashers frowning on the wonderfully random item-fests the more casual players have (and vice versa!) is unfortunate and not really necessary -- it's a credit to Melee's range that there can exist such a contrast.

"High level" matches have long been a bit by the numbers, as the game's nooks and crannies have been pretty well worked out, but on a competitive level they continue to be truly nail-biting. And the way they've progressed stylistically (to what is, basically, a conclusion . . . one hopes Brawl will throw another wrench in the machinery) through the use of the tiniest glitches is interesting in a sequence-break-y gamesploitation (gamesploitation?) kind of way.

Nothing wrong with being the local Smash Bros. wanker though! If I had the willpower (I don't, if that's any consolation) I'd elevate my survival horror fixation to wank status here, yeah :]
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the thing with smash is...hmmm...how to explain this.

OK, here goes. The point of Smash for me is being able to quickly and efficiently adapt to whatever gets thrown your way by players or the game. For this reason alone, I think the so-called "high level players" of Smash are actually nothing like that, as the minute you throw any sort of items or randomization their way, they turn to whiny babies about it all. When I say they are missing the point of Smash, it is because they are turning off almost everything about the game that makes it different from a normal fighter aside from the controls.

To analogize this, a good general knows perfect strategies that work in perfectly controlled environments. A great general knows that no battlefield is a perfect environment. For this reason alone, I tend to think very little of the tournament Smash scene, and only play with people that like having items and random stages and shit.

This is not to say one cannot turn some items off, or dislike some levels, or whatever, but it is to say that when you turn everything off, you are not playing Smash anymore, but some hybrid version thereof, and can't claim to be the best Smash player, just like someone who is really good at, say CTF in Halo, can't claim he is the best Halo player.

Of course, to claim to be the best player at anything is a hilarious concept, both in its booby-prize nature and its impossibility to be able to prove.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I understood of the comparison is that people are trying to take something that was developed to be more about spontaneity/sporadic and less about hardened skillz, the turned it into a stiff formulaic game.

boojiboy7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would say is that Smash is a lot about "skillz", just not the skillz that the tournament players want it to be about.
Pavement

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"High level" is a bit of a loaded term, I regret having used it.

I maintain that the tournament niche is compelling, though yes, it is by no means definitive. Stripping away unpredictable variables in a match in the name of fairness -- in order to truly judge skill -- is shortsighted. This is Super Smash Bros., where the outcome of matches often depends on players' ability to react and adapt to randomized items and environmental hazards. Then strictly-ruled tournaments are limited in scope, yes, and winners of said tournaments cannot claim to be Best Players, I agree.

But what the stripped down approach does is emphasize a different style of play; it doesn't make Smash a "normal fighter aside from the controls", it makes a bizarre and wholly entertaining sort of subgenre out of the whole thing. Look at how weird and exciting these matches are. They certainly shouldn't be paraded around as more serious or somehow "truer" than items-on play, but their existence is worthwhile and enjoyable. Again, that such wildly different game styles can be accommodated in Smash is a credit to the game's range.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand this. I kind of got bored of SFIII:3 when I realized mastery of the game depended on counting frames and understanding the rules of a kind of super-complex game of rock, paper, scissors. Soon enough all the people I played it with were playing at a much higher level than me, because I was like 'if that's what it takes to get good at it, then I don't want to get good'.

I did however love how Quake Deathmatch became about rocket-jumping and all types of crazy shit like that, because that's somehow more consistant with the tone of the game.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was a bit harsh in my assessment of Smash tournament players, I admit, but I just get sick of that crowd. They can do some amazing stuff, but it is annoying that they seem to think it is the only way to enjoy said game.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a pretty amazing write up about the game/characters

ryan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting pretty pumped about this and Portal. The other stuff is kind of lagniappe, since I never got into 2, but man am I ready to get back to Team Fortress.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Found a pretty amazing write up about the game/characters

this is a pretty great read. and told me what i wanted to know about team fortress 2, which i will probably be getting as part of the orange box.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not buying this game if the snipers are still bullshit, and it certainly sounds like they are!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define "bullshit". Because when I hear stuff like that I assume you mean "broken" which is simply not the case.

Snipers are a great asset to a team and can totally help bolster a defence, but they're very easily countered by Scouts, Spies or Soldiers. A good Sniper has to be constantly on the move to avoid getting picked off and as an added punishment, there's a laser pointer so you can always see if a Sniper is watching your position. I enjoy playing the Sniper and I'm not that great at it, but I've seen some amazingly accurate Snipers and it doesn't take long to people realise what's happening and a few spy-backstabs later that player has switched to another class.

And man, nice find Shaper. That writeup is excellent. I left a long comment on the Engineer article, fun times. Offensive engineering: the only way to be.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any multiplayer game gets an instant fail from me if you can use the sniper while moving, standing, or jumping. That shit is stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me see if I've got this right:

A gun that fires health: Okay
Using rockets to jump higher in an incredible display of unrealistic physics: Acceptable
Being able to construct turrets by hitting them repeatedly with a wrench: Cool
Disguising yourself by wearing a cool cardboard mask: Fine
Being able to move very very very fucking slowly while zoomed in as the Sniper: INSTANT FAIL WHAT THE FUCK MAN

By "on the move" in my post above I meant set-up, scope, fire, move, repeat. Otherwise everyone knows where you are and your advantage is lost. You can move while scoped in, you just move very, very, very, very, very slowly, a lot slower than any rockets that might be launched at your position, and by "might" I mean "will inevitably be".
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, sounds passable, but I won't know before seeing it myself. Sounds like you'll still be able to move around fast, find a target, zoom in, fire once, boom headshot, zoom out and move again. Lame. Shame so many games mess this up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the way it works is that your scope "charges" while zoomed in. So you need to stay zoomed in for about 3 seconds or so to get a full charge, and then you do double damage, which is enough to pop a guy in the head instantly. Other than that, you still do reasonable damage, but most classes (save the scout, who relies basically on his Brooklyn sass to ward off damage) will survive and uncharged hit, and the Heavy won't even feel it, even at full charge, in anywhere but the head.

Seriously, the Sniper is in no way a game-winner. He's so easy to mess up and the map design is REALLY good, so there's nowhere, nowhere you can snipe from without someone being able to either stab you the back or shoot you in the face. And most of the time, you'll be fighting enemy Snipers in huge sniper-wars, while the rest of you run around like ants underneath.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, that charge thing sounds like a good solution. I really hate games where you can just pop into zoom, shoot a guy in a head, zoom out again and off you go. even worse is when you can do it WHILE FLYING THROUGH THE AIR, THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE PEOPLE.

anyway, INTEREST UP.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I've always thought that Shadowrun solved my problems with snipers. Basically, you can't fire unless you're zoomed in and if you're moving slowly the reticule will bloom huge (about the size a of person in your scope), if you're moving any faster than a crawl the reticule basically fills the whole screen. Now, I did once manage to quick scope and head shot a guy that was right on top of me beating me with his gun but it was a luck/desperation move. There was only one map that snipers were a problem with in shadowrun, and they were easily countered by not going outside.

And yes, Dess, you'll be playing TF2 with us on the eXboxenTweeSixtea. After a week of Halo 3 I'm totally ready to move on to a more mechanically sound game.

Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
even worse is when you can do it WHILE FLYING THROUGH THE AIR, THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE PEOPLE.

Not a fan of Action Quake?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUCK no. For one thing, what the hell is a sniper rifle doing in a mod inspired by action movies? Snipers are used in slow, tense scenes, not high powered, energenic ones!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's totally ridiculous, all the servers I used to go on all people did was jump around with the rifle zoomed in getting headshots all the time. Don't get me started on encumbrance, dying from bloodloss and ammo limits as well, since that's not very action movie.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, tell me about it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
FUCK no. For one thing, what the hell is a sniper rifle doing in a mod inspired by action movies? Snipers are used in slow, tense scenes, not high powered, energenic ones!

Apparently you haven't seen Flash Point.

(It's a Donnie Yen film.)
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule like there is with everything else.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then logically there must be exceptions to the rule that sniper rifles can't be awesome flashy worthwhile weapons in multiplayer FPS titles.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I... didn't say they weren't! As long as they are handled correctly, which more than often, they're not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action Half-Life made some rule where sniper rifles were really inaccurate (except when diving, obviously) until you'd stood still for ages. Like, about two seconds.

In any case, I always found it made more sense to just use a pair of berettas and my eyes ;D
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaper sent me this amazing piece of team fortress 2 machinima about our new favorite character, the pyro.

things to note: the briefcase (the object players are supposed to retrieve) drops bright, white sheets of paper as it is carried away by the enemy, making it easy to locate. also notice the pyro's silhouette in far-away shots. according to a paper on the visual design of team fortress 2 that valve released, they wanted each character to have a distinctly-shaped silhouette that could be recognized from afar.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
they wanted each character to have a distinctly-shaped silhouette that could be recognized from afar.

This reminds me of Matt Groening. When ever he designed a new character for the Simpsons or Futurama he wanted to make sure each one could be identified by their unique silhouette.

This is a good design choice.

The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, and it really works. Even at a distance you never have any trouble telling who's who; and planning accordingly. Or alternatively, experiencing that sickening lurch as you realise the guy who just ran away is a Demoman, and you should not have followed him around the corner, oh whoops, stickybombs in your mouth. Or spotting a silhouette just peeking around the corner, realising it's a sniper and ducking back just in time to hear the visceral crunch-thwing of a fully charged bullet miss your head.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOUBLEPOSTSCREENSHOTDUMP

Sorry about the download!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some of that kinda sex ASAP.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "healing darkius006" image is fantastic.

aerisdead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to get this straight away, aren't I?

Darn.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
That "healing darkius006" image is fantastic.

Totally. That's what happens when you ubercharge someone as the medic - everything motionblurs out around the periphery, and you and the person you're charging glow with power. And I'm running this with graphics on absolute minimal so I don't choke out. I've seen it running with graphics on full - it looks absolutely incredible. Their eyes glow and everything. Nuts.

Being a Medic is fun times. Oh Darkius, I never met you before but we were a great team, as Medics and Heavies are wont to be. Engineer is definitely my favourite class though.

Hey everyone, buy this game. Twice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: