The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warning: he cheats!

(and by "cheats", i mean he's really really good.)
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Lestrade wrote:
I have Metroid Prime 3 reserved and am picking it up today. Many photos of me Wii-waggling my way to victoly will surely follow. Post photo requests, if any.

That comes out today? Ugh. Well, you get to tell us how it is so that I know how badly to avoid it.

Cross-posted from SB:

--

So I just finished the first segment of the first planet (Bryyo) after being seriously stuck there for a while. (PROTIP: when confused, start scanning shit.) Here are my impressions (may contain minor spoilers and my own plot speculation):

The controls still feel confusing. There is a lot of stuff mapped to your Wiimote, and it's a bit awkward. I mean, having to press Down on the d-pad to shoot missles? I guess it works well enough, but it's not perfect, you know? As I said before, more practice will probably help. Yet there are many times when everything clicks, and you're double-jumping and quick-turning to land on a platform, and you're thinking, "I can't believe how easy this is."

The first Halo-rip-off section is not at all indicative of the visual quality of the game. Even this first planet is a huge improvement, and it should be: Metroid is about organic environments, not The Pillar of Autumn.

That said, there are some major irritants, like the stupid-looking bounty hunters, and some really samey rooms. But my personal current issue is that there is often so much shit going on—enemies, grappling nodes, shit to scan, stuff bursting open—that it's really easy to feel overwhelmed. I had to dial back the opacity of my HUD because fuck if I wasn't getting visually mind-melted with everything going on at once, plus a 3D health bar, mini-map, etc. I think I did this in Prime 1 as well.

Remember Super Metroid (SM)? Man, it was so nice to just have shit out of the way, at the top of the screen.

The sound is also a bit on the crazy side; way too much stuff going on. As opposed to the fantastic-yet-unobtrusive music of the 2D games, here you come off your ship and the soundtrack fades into dah-DAH-LOOK-AT-ME-FUCKING-MUSIC! (I'm going to turn that down a bit too in the options.) The voice-acting is okay; some of it's quite good, other parts are flat but mostly inoffensive. The Aurora (WARNING WARNING MOTHER BRAIN IMPENDING PLOT TWIST) computer's voice is perfect; docile yet commanding.

But then that leads you to the part that really sort of rubs you the wrong way about MP3; what the fuck is Samus Aran doing mopping up after everyone and their dog? First I'm taking orders from Sergeant Fucking Johnson, then I'm doing what bubble-headed Ice-Man bounty-fuck tells me, and now I'm just being ferreted from one place to the next by Mother Brain.

The fuck happened to Samus Aran, bounty hunter? Is she private military now? Is she desperate for cash? Does she owe somebody? In previous games she seemed to do so much of her own free will; now she gets kicked around, beaten up, and at one point wakes up and is immediately reassigned without so much as a fucking break to piss. The hell I'd stand for that!

Anyway. I'll have to play the game more to see. Right now it's good in certain ways, but it's going to have to earn my respect, especially since I just played through the godly SM again and am coming in biased.

A side note, though: I really hate objectives in games. I really hate when you're given more than one at a time, too. It feels like a check-list at work; it makes me irritable. Can't you just convince me, by design, that going from A to B is the way to go (a la Half-Life 2), without telling me? Again, SM doesn't give you a check-list; it forces your hand through its design. You know where to go next because it's the only place left you haven't tried, etc. You find your way around. You don't need fucking Mother Brain telling you what to do.

I will report as I play more!

--

And I will do so tonight.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the summary.

My level of excitement for Corruption is so low that I don't even know if I would play it if someone gave it to me for free. Seriously, it just looks unappealing on every level - story-wise, graphical, it's basic gameplay elements...

I don't know about anyone else, but ever since a couple weeks ago when I picked up my PS3... I am totally rediscovering how much I love the PS controller and how much I frigging loathe (the often) gimmicky motion-sensing phenomenon.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it last night too and so far I'm 50/50. I actually kind of like the voice acting and step up in the production values. I REALLY like the controls, with the exception of getting buttons mixed up here and there. I always morph ball when I'm trying to switch visors and vice versa.

The bad stuff: the feeling like you've always got an explicit objective. The first thing I did when I started Metroid Prime 1 was turn off the waypoints. In 3 they're given to you in cutscenes, so I guess now they're part of the story? And my other complaint is the cutscenes. There are just too many of them. They're generally pretty short, but I'd be just as happy seeing most of the cutscene events happen in the game. Do they really need a cutscene to show a boss dying?

These are minor complaints though, and they're the same ones I had about Metroid Fusion, so it's not like they're breaking from precident. I'll have to keep playing to see if it's better than Prime 2, but so far I'm impressed!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, you didn't even get half-way through Bioshock which is a better Metroid game than MP2 or 3 will be and you stopped to switch over to a game that ... ughh. I don't understand you at all.

Anyways, I never got the conrols down 100% in Metroid Prime. There was always something that I would screw up no matter what. I thought the controls in MP1 were crap honestly: too complicated for their own good.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to that notion, Shaper: I should by all accounts have picked up Bioshock instead, and I totally understand that. I just was in the mood for Metroid, which is why I chose that instead. I'm assuming that's the case for Wes as well.

Wes, I'll be curious to see how our experiences differ or mirror each other. I agree with you on that one major point though: the game is too "cinematic" (gag) for its own good. Metroid is the ultimate "narrative over story" game, and here they're just shitting all over that.

Grapple-swinging is kind of fun, but grapple-rippin'-shit-off-things is much more entertaining. Stealing enemies' shields is satisfying.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel like i've finally gotten the hang of bioshock.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Wes, you didn't even get half-way through Bioshock which is a better Metroid game than MP2 or 3 will be and you stopped to switch over to a game that ... ughh. I don't understand you at all.

Yeah, but I'll come back to Bioshock soon I'm sure. There's nothing really great coming out between now and Sept 25th, so I've got the time to split between two games (three if you count Rune Factory).

Besides, Metroid is just more fun. I know I'm supposed to love Bioshock, and I do appreciate the things it's trying to do, but sometimes it just gets overwhelming/overbearing. And I'm not sure why everyone's so down on MP3. I guess I can understand that Retro will have to win back some people's love after MP2, but so far it hasn't done anything remotely horriffic (less horriffic than the Japanese-developed Metroid Fusion anyways), and I can't really see it getting much more offensive.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Well, to that notion, Shaper: I should by all accounts have picked up Bioshock instead

Well, you probably should have! But I say that because of a conversation we had. Either way, have fun with your overrated and bloated Metroid games!

helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I can't really see it getting much more offensive.

A resounding endorsement if I've ever heard one!

I've seen some of the environments that all the websites were embargoed from showing before the release (i.e. they were only allowed to actually preview and talk about the first two levels). They don't look nearly as boring.

That said, I don't have a Wii, so it'll be a while before I ever get around to playing it.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
Thanks for the summary.

My level of excitement for Corruption is so low that I don't even know if I would play it if someone gave it to me for free. Seriously, it just looks unappealing on every level - story-wise, graphical, it's basic gameplay elements...

Thank god for the internet!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Lestrade wrote:
Well, to that notion, Shaper: I should by all accounts have picked up Bioshock instead

Well, you probably should have! But I say that because of a conversation we had. Either way, have fun with your overrated and bloated Metroid games!

Yo, why the hate, dawg? WHY THE HATE?! :-(
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Yo, why the hate, dawg? WHY THE HATE?! Sad

It's just a rib poking dawg.

Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

Yeah, but I'll come back to Bioshock soon I'm sure. There's nothing really great coming out between now and Sept 25th, so I've got the time to split between two games (three if you count Rune Factory).

Besides, Metroid is just more fun. I know I'm supposed to love Bioshock, and I do appreciate the things it's trying to do, but sometimes it just gets overwhelming/overbearing. And I'm not sure why everyone's so down on MP3. I guess I can understand that Retro will have to win back some people's love after MP2, but so far it hasn't done anything remotely horriffic (less horriffic than the Japanese-developed Metroid Fusion anyways), and I can't really see it getting much more offensive.

-Wes

I didn't realize that I just plain hated MP2 until it was all over, and by then it was too late.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing Wario World!

I remember staying away from this game for some reason when it first came out? I think it got less-than-glowing reviews. It's still pretty fun, though, simply because the engine is so delightfully solid. It's not really a physics-based game, but it's there and all the more enjoyable because of it. I like how later in the game you have to take advantage of momentum to launch yourself to other areas.

There needs to be a company besides Treasure that realizes that grabbing things in games is almost inherently fun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword - Defense. I'm running into a problem with my units disappearing. I read that (Viking) Psycho Samurais and Grenadiers are most likely the problem, but the damn mod doesn't include that information in the combat log. If this is intentional, then a little notice would go a long way considering the alternative to what I'm going through now. What? You wanted those 10 units! Ohhhhh!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Cross Posted for great justice)

I played a bit more last night, I'm guessing I'm in around the same place as Lestrade. I just got my first ship upgrade and fought a crazy awesome boss that took a bit to figure out.

I'm loving it! It's strange, I keep reading on here about how I'm supposed to hate everything that goes on, but when I sit down to play it I'm really enjoying myself. The movement controls are absolutely perfect, and certain things that might - in theory - be terrible, like switching visors by pointing the controller at different sections of the screen, are actually really fun.

Like Lestrade, I've been getting stuck a lot, but unlike Lestrade I absolutely love this fact. The game isn't totally holding my hand, and in most cases all I need to do to progress is look around for stuff to scan.

I do agree that enemies seem to take a lot to kill, but I have a theory behind that. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use your PED shots a lot more than I have. I've been avoiding using them as much as possible, and last night I got shot by one too many plasma hits and ended up getting a game over by turning into Dark Samus. I guess you're supposed to expell that energy by going into Power Mode to fight enemies.

So yeah, it's really good so far. Definately worth putting down Bioshock (temporarily) for.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finished the original cases of the first phoenix wright. (there is a brilliant deductive leap at the end of the last case and i felt so good when i figured it out for the first time.) now i'm up to the bonus episode exclusive to the ds port: rise from the ashes. i love this case despite the presence of gimmicky stylus / mic nonsense. (apparently this stuff is also in gyakuten saiban 4, along with terrible characters i don't care about.) i think it's the villian that makes this case. that and the detective who thinks he's a frontier sheriff.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am thoroughly enjoying the everloving shit out of bioshock.

and the voice acting is superb.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
(apparently this stuff is also in gyakuten saiban 4, along with terrible characters i don't care about.)

How do you know this considering that the game isn't out in english yet?

I mean yeah the character designs do look pretty dumb but come on. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, here.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough! though i guess what i find most telling is that what makes me want to play gyakuten saiban 4 more than anything else is to find out what becomes of phoenix wright.

speaking of which, i finished rise from the ashes. it's my favorite case, like i've said, because of the villian. no other witness wields authority so casually, or menace so subtley. none of the other witnesses reveal so little of their hands. and when that hand comes down, it comes down around your throat. outwitting the true final boss of the phoenix wright games feels like a true victory. just getting the boss on the stand feels like a battle.

if replaying the first phoenix wright has done anything for me, though, it's reaffirmed my dislike for those stupid life bars in the second and third games.

in conclusion, here is my synopsis of the phoenix wright trilogy:

first game: best english script.
second game: worst english script. best moment.
third game: tightest game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have sort of a question, and an observation.

About MP3: I don't really know much about it, but is it more of the same from what we see in the first two?

Observation: MP3 seems a bit odd to look at don't you think? MP3C or something of the like might add disambiguation. I mean, when it's on a game website you kind of know what to expect, but when it goes out onto the interweb, stuff happens to it.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talbain wrote:
I actually have sort of a question, and an observation.

Well, that's a hard question to answer since the first game and second game couldn't be more different (the first one's one of the best games of all time and the second one is something I wouldn't give my worst enemy), but essentially the third game is more of what was there in the first one with the biggest difference being Wii controls and a slightly higher emphasis on combat.

I finished it this weekend and overall I'd say it's equal to the first game in quality and the only reason it doesn't sit alongside its predecessor as one of my favorite games of all time is that the first game had the advantage of feeling totally new and fresh.

The biggest difference between one and three (and it's important here) is that you get in your ship and travel to different ships and planets. The only reason this difference is so important is that it allows the designers to create totally different cultures and backstories for each planet. Now, I must confess that I totally ignore the logged backstories because "fuck reading," but even for someone like me I could tell that each planet had a different culture by things as simple as where they write their logs and how you get from place to place. It really feels like each of these fallen societies has a history and unlike the first game we're treated to several different histories.

So yeah, if you liked the first one and want more of the same I'd say go ahead and skip to 3. If you never played the first one I'd say to play it first because difficulty-wise 3 isn't very friendly to beginners. And if you didn't like the first game or played it and don't want more of the same then I'm not sure you and I can be friends!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played three really competitive matches of the latest PS2 Winning Eleven with a co-worker.

First match was very tight, he had a handful of half-chances that he couldn't convert and I struggled to get many chances while playing a mainly-defensive formation. Shortly before halftime, I had a decent chance and one of his players took a chance at trying to take it off my foot and put it past his own keeper. The second half was mainly me just trying to hold onto the ball for as long as possible, mainly successfully.

The second match, I out-shot my co-worker 19 to 8 and wound up losing 4-0, with him neatly putting away every other chance and my team conspiring to miss 2 open goals. It was kind of your classic game where one team dominates most of the passage of the play only to get ripped open by well-run counter attacks. Honestly, he could have scored more.

Third game, I went up 3-0 in the first 35 minutes, despite having my right winger sent off for a tackle from behind. I then had another player sent off just before the half as there was a breakaway and I took the chance of trying to nick the ball off of the forward's foot, meaning that I went into the second half using the untried 4-3-1 formation. My co-worker did manage to pull one back; however, I had as many chances as he did, thanks to some nice counter-attacks.

It's just amazing how much better that game is when it's two people playing against each other. CPU games have this horrible stale feeling to them while multi-player is always tense and exciting, even if the game isn't particularly close.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom 1 Episode 4 is a beast. I only have 2-3 more sections left before Doom 1 is 100%. I need to acquire Final Doom and Resurrection of Evil, but with work, review, and school stuffs, I think my plans to kick the crap out of demons (for the greatest of goods) will have to be put on hold.
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the difficulty and level variety really jump up from episode 3 to 4. 4 was added later, in the Ultimate DooM edition.

Word to the wise: don't play Hexen. Ever. You will actually get sick.

Started up Dragon Warrior VII again today! 15-ish hours in. I still haven't made it to Dharma temple yet, so the battles are sort of BORING. The rest of the game is too charming to pass up, though. Funny thing is, Wild Arms V has the inverse problem. I am going to return it and get STEAMBOT CHRONICLES!!!! which is now only $20!!!
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Bacon Lips wrote:
Word to the wise: don't play Hexen. Ever. You will actually get sick.

That said, I'm almost through Hexen since I try to do this once a month. I will be fighting the final boss after lunchtime which will give me ample time to get through the last part of Strife. Maybe later on I will reinstall Hexen II despite not liking it as much as the first game, I think it's the lack of swamps or something.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 4 is pretty easy if you know all the tricks for the first couple levels, allowing you to gather a nice collection of ammo and swing through the rest of the levels. The hardest level is the first one, really.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by "first one" you mean "second one".
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that's also difficult, but not as bad as the first since you actually have some decent weaponary on the second and some actual ammo! the best thing on the first level is a rocket launcher with very little ammo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry, there are like thirteen barons on the second map.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are 5 on the first one, and you barely have the eqiupment to deal with them! worse yet, the level design makes your encounters with them very intimate! on the second level you can keep your distance!

i'll give you the second level has a cyberdemon, but you just telefrag him!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultimate doom is just ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried out Hot Shots Tennis, which was released a while back. It's pretty neat, in that like Hot Shots Golf, it takes a system, breaks it down to a relatively simple basis, then adds a good basic-to-intermediate level of strategy and then coats it with a layer of good-naturedness that doesn't wind up being twee or creepy.

My main complaint is that it's really basic. You play as characters, you beat other characters, you unlock them as well as courts and costumes and you move up the ranks. Compared to the Hot Shots Golf series, it's pretty bare-bones. There's no tournaments and there's no equipment that you can use to modify your players, which is pretty disappointing. I was looking forward to taking a guy who had a decent net game and then seeing if I could upgrade his serve or topspin. Oh well, it's still worth it with the discount price.
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DooM in general is just fucking ridiculous. I mean, look at that capitalization.

Seriously, how am I supposed to kill a baron in a 7 x 7 room with a 9mm? The rocket launcher just kills us both anyway! Fuck that.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROTIP: walk out the room

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROTIP: turn off your computer and walk out of the room.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just walk away. It doesn't have to be like this. Just walk away.

Tonight I realized that Dragon Warrior VII is a real snore. I want to play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne instead, but that game is somehow considered rare, you know, just because people on ebay started putting "rare" in the listing title; now it is like a hundred dollars.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tonight I realized that Dragon Warrior VII is a real snore.

you only just realized this?

(sorry swimmy)
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
The hardest level is the first one, really.

Okay, good, I'm glad it's not just me.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't remember who it was I was playing Ultimate Doom with co-op, but it was a fucking ball-ache. And I love Doom.

EDIT: Moved my 'news' to the news thread.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to play a bit of Age of Conan, at the Funcom booth at Dragon*Con.

I only got to play a melee character, but it was pretty fun charging up to the guy sitting next to me and throwing his life-goo all over the ground (with my sword). They removed dismemberment from this iteration of the game because it was the same version used at the Leipzig Gaming Expo, but the guy there told me they'd be reintegrating it for the US release.

I lament that my computer may never be able to handle this game as it currently stands, and that I can't really afford a new one. I'm really looking forward to being a necromancer and riding on a mammoth and tearing peoples' arms off.

(and I generally don't like PVP!)

also: when not at work or in class, I've been playing Bully, Fable, and (as always) crawl. Bully and Fable actually complement each other very well when you vary between them, especially since you can play dress-up in both games.

I have to say I get a certain thrill out of kicking high schoolers around as a punk. the spud gun is especially delightful.

ryan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 4: done. The last map was a bit anticlimactic considering what all came before it.

Once I start digging into Doom 3 I'm going to install Dark Forces and give it a go. It's been years since I played it, and I really can't remember whether or not I played the demo a ton or actually beat the full version. I do recall finally understanding how the storm troopers could be such poor shots though - damn inaccurate blasters.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having finished replaying the original, i tried replaying the second phoenix wright. i can't do it. the puzzle logic is just too obtuse, and combined with that terrible lifebar that never replenishes (and is depleted in totally inconsistent amounts) it just wasn't worth playing through a second time. and i didn't even reach the circus murder, which is the real low point of the series.

i think i'm going to play that game by the hotel dusk people. i've still never played it. i've never finished hotel dusk either.

you know, a handheld adventure game seems like a pretty bad idea - how can you get engrossed in a game during the ten-minute wait for your bus? - but i absolutely love that i can curl up and play these games in bed. it is a cozy experience for which i am grateful.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to love Dark Forces. I thought Jan Ors was proper sexy.

I thought it was genius how polygonal opjects would appear in game, like your spaceship coming to greet you at the end of each level. Amazing!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am playing trace memory. it took me only forty-five minutes to get hopelessly stuck. i hate that you can see objects while you're walking around, even mash your little polygon body against them, but you can't interact with them unless they appear somewhere in the picture on the top screen. and there are fewer of these pictures, and at fewer angles, than there need to be.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that game is for 8-year-old girls.

There's one really good half-implemented feature in it, which is the memory quizzes at the end of each chapter. MILD SPOILERS: These turn out to be significant to the game's finale, except there's no penalty for getting them wrong so it doesn't really have the power it should have. For a second though, it's like you are the character, and your failing memory is her failing memory. If there were actually consequences for incorrectly remembering things, that ending would be amazing.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i am playing trace memory. it took me only forty-five minutes to get hopelessly stuck. i hate that you can see objects while you're walking around, even mash your little polygon body against them, but you can't interact with them unless they appear somewhere in the picture on the top screen. and there are fewer of these pictures, and at fewer angles, than there need to be.

Yes, I heard some really good things about Trace Memory, but it's not that good. I stopped playing the game when I was just hunting pixels looking for shit. I don't know why I bought Hotel Dusk after giving up on Trace Memories. HD at least looked gorgeous. Have you played Lost in Blue yet Dess?

Also, I've been playing Boktai and Metroid II (oh, yeah, and Shadowrun). I got about halfway through M2 and for some reason I can never pick it back up after I stop playing. It feels like a game meant to be played though in one sitting. I also nearly finished Boktai over the weekend as well. I may finish it soon if it ever gets light here. I forgot how much I really loved the first game. The gimick works perfectly, I honestly never understood the complaints about it. DESS: If MGS were a videogame it would be Boktai.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harveyjams wrote:
I think that game is for 8-year-old girls.

i don't think that eight-year-old girls like to play shitty adventure games.

and yeah, this game is all pixel hunting and soup cans*. it's done a few clever things, though, and i keep hoping it will do more.

i tried to play lost in blue 2 once, and quit pretty soon because i couldn't stand it. i'm planning on buying a copy of metroid II sometime soon - it's the one (non-prime) metroid i've never finished to this day.

* referring to the seventh guest, and signifying a puzzle which has no relationship to the world it's part of.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just mean I think it might have been developed for and targeted at the pre-teen girl market, in its native japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 39 of 85

Jump to: