The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bioshock my monkey! (now also about SPOILARZ)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the last LE edition at the local Circuit City. 10 bucks off, not bad. Now to see how long I can stay at work before I break and ditch to go home and play it.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted to go to circuit city myself. I hear one is on the way, but I'm often teased with that, only to have nothing show up. I don't know how much longer I can hold out.

I did play the PC demo earlier today and ... well, if you could imagine me whistling, please do so, because the game was gorgeous.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what really impressed me about the game was that i realized we're finally at the point where realtime graphics can look as good as pre-rendered.

the bathysphere trip may as well be a movie but the fact that you can turn your head just does that much for the experience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the same reason that being able to look around and move during the 'cutscenes' of Half-Life 2 is important.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at work and haven't had time to take any pictures, but you should be able to tell if your figure is broken by looking at the tip of the drill. Rather than being pointy at the end, my statue has a small piece broken off and you can see the plastic underneath. It's not bad, but it's obviously busted.

-Wes
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't felt such a fawning joy for a games opening since Half Life 2. Hell, even since Super Mario 64. It's sort of like the stark foreshadowing of American Beauty, were the narrator knows the weight of the issue of his own demise, or curse or whatever you call it. And in the safety of a retelling, there's calm and comfort in their voice, as if God himself were doing the narration. And then the beautiful panning of light that crosses over on the emblem, perhaps curling as a sign of a new vision or rekindling. Oh, and the games nice, too.

*minor spoilers from the demo following*

I felt during the demo that after leaving the bathery, the game wanted to keep the presentation up without any breathing room, as I'm sure most of the game is built like. But, although your first fight encounter felt a little soon for me, I guess they wanted to get a raise of adrenaline from you, giving the sense that you can't let your guard down in this world for a second, as while you're knocked out you get visited by, like, four people hovering over your supposed corpse trying to pickpocket your guts.

But, I still really liked it. I feel that everyone once in a while a game needs to represent our times that we live in, and I guess I've chosen Bioshock as that marquee.

Last edited by RaBeeWilliams on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaBeeWilliams wrote:
It's sort of like the stark foreshadowing of American Pie, were the narrator knows the weight of the issue of his own demise, or curse or whatever you call it.

I assume you're talking about American Beauty, here.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i was kinda wondering about that too
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got though the first section of the game. The intro is mostly the same as the demo, but gets a little different w/o as much action towards the end.

I stopped shortly after getting the access key from Steinman and, well, so far it's brilliant. This discussion may have a few spoilers, but I'll keep it as vague as possible.

I'm pretty glad that I played the demo actually, because I could pay attention to a few things that I had questions about afterwards. Most importantly, in the demo on the recording you get near the New Years party has some shouting in the background when things go wrong and you can hear someone shout "Long live Atlas!" or something similar. This makes me quite nervous about the man who is basically in control of our characters destiny.

Also, the game takes place in 1960 and the new years party was from 1959, so this all happens within a year of the "fall" of Rapture. I had thought that there was more of a gap just from the amount of decay.

The AI in the main game shows really how brilliant the programmers are. Little things like cover and reloading are very natural and organic. Enemies will rush at you and then seem to disappear, when you follow them they will jump out from behind the doorway you just passed through. They will also run and take cover behind desks so they can reload. I’ve seen a couple fights between enemies who are angry with each other for one reason or another. I saw a man and a woman fighting and calling each other names running around some stairs and chasing each other through pillars. I watched to see how long they would go at it and they fought each other to the death, it was a fantastic fight.

I’ve also had one very Doom-esque moment: I grabbed a new weapon and the lights went out on the floor except for a spotlight. I could hear enemies walking and talking around me, but I didn’t dare move from the spotlight. Suddenly they were coming at me from every angle and it was, well, brilliant.

Also, the enemies are better than they seemed to be from the demo based on their dialogue. The writing in this game is brilliant to say the least. But the little bits that the area specific dialogue that the enemies have is amazing. My favorite was when a doctor attacked me he shouted “How dare you question my practice! It’s all legal now!” as he lunges at you. The level design in also amazing as is the attention to detail on things.

I’m also happy with the amount of narrative that’s told through the recordings. In System Shock 1 (I haven’t played 2) there seemed only to be very important messages in the recordings. That game didn’t spend a lot of time with character development through them, and what there was, was usually included with information on where to go or how to progress. SS2 may have progressed this a little more, but I still can’t get that damn game to work.

Anyways, I’m only a couple hours in and I get the feeling that this game is going to have to do something offensive beyond what I’ve experienced previously to let me down.
Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Just picked mine up! And... The figurine's broken Sad

Please take pictures so I can see where to break mine if it's not broken.

No need! The drill arm was completely broken off. I took photos of it in the package just incase. It was like getting a prize!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
RaBeeWilliams wrote:
It's sort of like the stark foreshadowing of American Pie, were the narrator knows the weight of the issue of his own demise, or curse or whatever you call it.

I assume you're talking about American Beauty, here.

Well, on a dare I could still make some gushy polarity between the two. Sort of. But, yeah, typing through fatigue can do that to you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm a bit further than Shaper at this point. I've taken down 4 or 5 Big Daddy's and played the sympathetic savior every time. I was rewarded with something that kind of makes me wonder how the reward for being violent is presented to you.

So far I'm surprised at how much of an FPS it is. There's a lot of shooting and a lot of exploring and a lot of story all coming at you at the same time, but the shooting is always top priority. I think some people are going to be disappointed at how much shooting there is and some might really love it who otherwise wouldn't. It's a good balance, it's just surprising given their supposed inspiration.

If I have one complaint it's that the hacking game comes up way too often. Maybe I'm just too stingey to pay cash money to hack things, but yesterday I got to an area where I'm just bombarded with machines (the Wharf) and I feel like I'm running from stationary gun to camera to helicopter gun, playing the pipe game over and over again until I die and have to restart. Kinda blah. Next time I play I'm going to pay.

-Wes
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes, this is a serious question. Is this the game that makes the 360 a "must-have" console?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, that's pac-man championship edition.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Dudes, this is a serious question. Is this the game that makes the 360 a "must-have" console?

What's your PC like?
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
seryogin wrote:

What's your PC like?

Ancient, and beefing it up is out of the question.

So far, Bioshock and Call of Duty II are the only games that seem worth the investment for the 360. I'm reticent on joining the "next generation" but Bioshock's overall dystopian design make this game look like something that I'm really willing to sink the money into.

Also, Shapes, speaking of dystopias, you do realize that Blade Runner Final Cut is coming to DVD soon?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yes.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Also, Shapes, speaking of dystopias, you do realize that Blade Runner Final Cut is coming to DVD soon?

Is it really? It's been coming to DVD soon for a very long time as far as I know.

seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
seryogin wrote:

Is it really? It's been coming to DVD soon for a very long time as far as I know.

There's a big article on amazon comparing the five different editions that are coming out in December (with pictures). The super-special one comes in Deckard's briefcase and includes five disks.
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I got is this:

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's dream time Mr. Bubbles.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in love with a girl who lives in my house with me.

I'm like a moonstruck calf. She's gorgeous. This doesn't have anything to do with Bioshock, though.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james:

you should get over her.

<3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have named my Big Daddy figurine Bacchus.

This has nothing to do with James' crush, however.

P.S. Who feels that Andrew Ryan has a Vincent Price air to him?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
james:

you should get over her.

<3

I just lay in bed with her watching south park. Her hair is like spun gold. She smells of froot loops.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james harvey, listen to me. i am a considerate analyst.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day I'm going to throw caution to the wind and just give her a kiss on the mouth.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one day she is going to throw politeness to the wind and just give you a slap in the face.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just one display of fiery passion is what she's been waiting for!
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cute. It can lust.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok back on topic, my big daddy isnt broken Sad PLEASE INSTRUCT ME ON HOW TO BREAK MY BIG DADDY.

i cant wait until october 2nd and i can actually play this!

speaking of games i wont be able to play yet, shaper i sent out your stuff plus some bonus stuff because i love you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Big Daddy has a broken finger. His rude finger, in fact. Outrage.

The box is sitting on my desk at work, taunting me. I can play it in exactly 65 minutes.

Hnnnggggh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Jarveyhames, start a crush thread. I'd read it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the Wharf, then, since I love that Tonic that gives you health and Eve every time you hack something.

Cycle wrote:
PLEASE INSTRUCT ME ON HOW TO BREAK MY BIG DADDY.

I don't understand.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
Also Jarveyhames, start a crush thread. I'd read it.

Just read my blog, it's practically all I talk about on there anyway.

Dracko wrote:
How cute. It can lust.

Fuck off
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Yes! And it works perfectly with his character and the time frame the game takes place in.

Anyways, I just finished the 3rd/4th main section (they kind of overlap). I'm still enjoying the game, but I don't feel like it's introducing as many unique ways to play anymore. It feels much more shooty than the first main section does. And the plot elements aren't as great as the first section. The game is very front loaded so far, but there are some really excellent things still happening.

Also, I've run into a few videogame clichés that bug me in this kind of game. They work well enough, but they feel a little forced. During these sections I try to make the AI work against itself for me to win just because that's the most interesting thing for me to do.

My wife is playing this game simultaneously. I play at night, and she then plays the same part I did the next day. She's doing things differently and having way too much fun killing stuff. She's playing on Medium and having no problems, so she's joshing me a bit about not playing on hard. She's enjoying it much, much more than I expected her too considering that she doesn't really do well with first person games. She's caught a few things about the environment that I missed so it's nice to be able to ramble back and forth a bit with her.

The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fuck. I was all tent-panting over the glorious water at the start and the amazing atmosphere of the descent chamber and then suddenly a hear a small faint buzzing and I realise Atlas is talking at me and despite picking up the radio I still can't hear him at all and then I go to step out of the bathysphere and my graphics card explodes, shutting down one monitor entirely and booting me back to 16-colour windows until I restarted.

Gonna try again in a sec, I guess.

Harveyjames wrote:
Just read my blog, it's practically all I talk about on there anyway.

Friended, mmk.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The John Galt Corporation of the Bronx, hired last year for the dangerous and complex job of demolishing the former Deutsche Bank building at 130 Liberty Street, where two firefighters died last Saturday, has apparently never done any work like it. Indeed, Galt does not seem to have done much of anything since it was incorporated in 1983.

Public and private records give no indication of how many employees it has, what its volume of business is or who its clients are. There are almost no accounts of any projects it has undertaken on any scale, apart from 130 Liberty Street. Court records are largely silent. Some leading construction executives in the city say they have never even heard of it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that's just fucking creepy.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko, 50 words on the topic of love! The clock is ticking!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finished Bioshock and, while this is a very good game, it is just short of being a great game and never really takes advantage of what it sets up very early on.

It's a bit disappointing just because of what it sets out to achieve as opposed to what it actually succeeds in doing.

aerisdead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Er he is obviously supposed to be Orson Welles
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Walt Disney.

Sander Cohen reminds me of Salvador Dali.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i mean i figured they hooked his corpse up to a car battery or something and said DANCE FOR ME.

Quote:
Ok, that's just fucking creepy.

by creepy you mean funny ha ha weird coincidence, right?

now see if these guys had been hired to dig a big pit - a gultch, say - and then disappeared...now that'd be creepy. or really predictable. not sure which.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Or Walt Disney.

No, it's obviously Orson Welles. See: Citizen Kane.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, obviously.

Wait, what were we talking about again?
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else beaten this game, once or twice, outside of Shaper and I?

If noone says anything for a while, I'm going to take my turn early and froth for, like, 8 minutes. >:I

Last call.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beat it earlier. The last act wasn't as enjoyable, though a lot of the small touches were really great. It's tough to talk about most of the story or characters without giving anything away.

I did get the good ending. I'm tempted to take some time off and go back through for the bad one.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beat it, with both endings.

Still utterly disappointed with it on the whole.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't expect anything from it. Also, I didn't play it. I think this is the healthiest attitude to take.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Still utterly disappointed with it on the whole.

Yup, me too. I mean its not bad, just very disappointing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: