The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

one small thing the Wii got somewhat right

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: one small thing the Wii got somewhat right Reply with quote

I'm grateful for the SD-card route the Wii went down, especially for save games.

(I know some people aren't happy about the DRM-aspect of the virtual console game saves, but I can kind of see Nintendo's reasoning)

Especially for multiplayer; being able to grab someone else's saves lets me make up for certain game designer's indiscretions... especially Mario Party 8's way of forcing you to play their dreadfully placed board games when you really want minigames in as convenient a wrapper as possible. (At the risk of sounding like a dumb middle schooler, I really wish I could talk to the project manager for Mario Party 9 and discuss the Pros and Cons of making a minimalist "Minigame Stadium"-like board available on every future Mario Party.)

Also, multiplayer games where unlocking all the content you paid money for requires one player honing skill in a one player mode; that's just lousy for semi-casual multiplayer game enthusiasts.

So being able to go to gamefaqs.com, raid my camera for its SD card, and use my PC or laptop to get the save... it's a nice option.
aerisdead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I never even realised that was possible, but obviously it is.

I don't know if I'll ever use a gamefaqs save but it's cool enough I suppose.
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used to be able to direct-download to VMUs, via the Dreamcast browser.

I got the save with everything done in Sonic Adventure 2 to play the Green Hill remake, because that game was shite.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. VMUs were such a nifty idea, too bad the implementation had so many issues, from tearing through batteries to that annoying beep sound at power up to getting wedged in place to poor controls. Still the way they foreshadowed some of what Nintendo did with the GBA connection on the GC (not that that set the world on fire either, but 4 swords and Pac Man Vs are pretty swell) and them being so darn cute...

Having been working and able to buy computer hardware, I never did get into any console based web browser.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still disappointed that nobody took the "LCD screen on the controller" idea and ran with it. There were a ton of great possible applications that have gone completely un-utilized.

If nothing else, you could seriously clean up the HUD that way. Or use it to display the map, or a compass or use it for codex conversations, etc.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
I'm still disappointed that nobody took the "LCD screen on the controller" idea and ran with it. There were a ton of great possible applications that have gone completely un-utilized.

If nothing else, you could seriously clean up the HUD that way. Or use it to display the map, or a compass or use it for codex conversations, etc.

Well, it's expensive, even more problematic battery-wise now that wireless is the norm, it takes you a bit out of the game, and usually the screen isn't great, and there can be ergonomic issues...

handheld-as-control holds more promise, espeically now that there's so much WiFi, but even then there's the issue of how handheld controls tend to severely lag those of consoles. (In my heart of hearts I would rather the DS have had some kind of small analog stick rather than a touch screen)
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all good points, although I don't mind the quality of the screen so much -- a non-backlit B&W LCD screen should have a fairly minimal power footprint (I could be totally wrong about those).

Best use of a VMU: Allowing users to pick their plays VMU-only in NFL 2K.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought a Wii bundle...almost.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
I almost bought a Wii bundle...almost.

Congratulations!...almost.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't like the principle of a bundle. I think you should be able to buy a console how you like.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
Well I don't like the principle of a bundle. I think you should be able to buy a console how you like.

I agree that Bundles are not particularly consumer friendly...
But what does bundling have to do with the previous conversation?
I thought the emphasis was on you not buying a Wii or something, maybe because of some related gripe.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is related to Wii because the only consumer bundles left are Wii bundles.

I do like the idea of SD memory card slots. Yes groovy! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: