The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DiRT Demo (PS3)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: DiRT Demo (PS3) Reply with quote

I remember Wes mentioning this game a while back... well, the PS3 demo just hit the PSN network for download.

Grabbing it now (although I doubt I'll buy another racing game til Burnout hits)
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe shapermc has been playing this game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say... it is very pretty. But I don't know if I like the actual gameplay much.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this happen to run at a better framerate on the PS3? The 360 demo was pretty awesome, but it was not running at 60fps.
fish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that game is all about its menus.

seriously, it made BIG waves in the dev community.
it left everybody wondering why their menus werent a quarter as awesome as dirt's.
its not like its hard to have a few 2d planes floating about.

all the interface nerds just about exploded when they saw it.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true! As nice as the game looks, the menu interface is frigging gorgeous. Especially when compared to Motorstorm's extremely annoying interface.

(the fact that I just choose the first car when given a choice because I don't want to spend 5 minutes waiting for each car - and then each car's variation - to load on that damn mountain speaks volumes).

It seems like DiRT has managed to make the entire process appealing.

As far as the framerate... how does one tell?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 360, the main game was way better than the demo. Not sure if the PS3 demo is the same as the 360 one.
ryan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get the demo now off of the PS store now, but it's going sllooowww. What's with this thing? Everything takes forever to download.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually tell the thing to "download in the background" and go do other things (I think you can still play downloaded games, i.e. flOw or Calling All Cars, and it will still download... nothing with BR discs though). The demo isn't even very large!
silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played this again for a few hours... I think I can say that the menu is the best part of the game.

I don't like hows the cars control... it is a combination of not feeling fast enough and not feeling like I have enough control. I guess I've just been spoiled by Burnout and it's more "arcadey" nature... but the gameplay in DiRT really doesn't interest me.

It isn't helped by the fact that THREE TIMES during the "rally race" (the second car in the demo selection menu), I got stuck on small things - like medians - for a good 30 seconds apiece. The car just wouldn't dislodge itself and I couldn't find a "reset car on track button" (i.e. select in Motorstorm). So, I had to just sit and wait for the car to slowly slowly slowly pull itself towards the ground to get back to driving. Needless to say, I came in 20th place or something ridiculous.

Plus, that announcer during rally mode who keeps giving you information about the turns... damn, that is annoying. Either keep him or the mini-map. The game seriously doesn't need both.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I reviewed the game if you want my opinion.

Honestly, I didn't have a huge problem with the frame rate. It does a solid 30fps for 98% of the game. There's occasions where the game hits lower frame rates and those occasions are a pain in the ass.

The menus are gorgeous, and honestly shocking that it took this long to get menus that look like shit out of sci-fi movies.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
I usually tell the thing to "download in the background" and go do other things (I think you can still play downloaded games, i.e. flOw or Calling All Cars, and it will still download... nothing with BR discs though). The demo isn't even very large!

Actually I've played Resistance while downloading stuff in the background no problem. Don't underestimate the power of the CELL!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really?

Damn, that is impressive. I thought I had rather otherwise in the manual... but maybe they tweaked it in one of the firmware upgrades or something.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I think that's a firmware upgrade thing. Initially it couldn't do it. But it is nice to have a download running and fire up a game. Then when it is complete a message will pop up like always. Good times indeed.

I wish they had more stuff in the PSN store, but it is a young entity and in time it will fill up with crap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: