The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't stop listening
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word to the unawares:

Explosions in the Sky's The Rescue EP can be found in full on their own web site. A bit of a concept album, they put it for download as a result of fans apparently having a difficult time finding it.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of you probably won't be able to avoid hearing this one for much longer, but I thought it deserved a shout-out anyway: Kanye West's new single, "Stronger," is going to be unstoppable. Fortunately, it's delightful. West samples a Daft Punk song and fashions it into one of the best dance beats in the last few years.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Christs may come and Christs may go but Caesar is forever. Reply with quote

Boy is Reverend Bizarre's In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend album absolutely fantastic. It's heavier than a dirigible filled with stone masonry, stands endlessly monolithic through the eons and is a pitch black well full of infinite poetic sadness. Everything that proper doom metal should be. If you have any passing interest in the genre or in metal in general you should definitely try and locate it as they are arguably one of the best bands to pop out of anywhere in the last ten or eleven years (and then to slip back into the swirling mists of time to disappear from everywhere except out minds).
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Most of you probably won't be able to avoid hearing this one for much longer, but I thought it deserved a shout-out anyway: Kanye West's new single, "Stronger," is going to be unstoppable. Fortunately, it's delightful. West samples a Daft Punk song and fashions it into one of the best dance beats in the last few years.

That's not tough.

I've heard that song, I reckon it's just ok, no more no less.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in the saddle i am
Venetian Snares: A User Guide of Dubious Value That’s Slightly Not Safe For Work

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!

I'll cop to starting my exploration of VS with Nymphomatriarch, due to that recording method, and it took a few years after that to get back in with Rosz Blahdeda. And I really haven't gotten much farther than that.

He does this to a lesser extent that current Autechre, but I still see him as falling in a little too deep with that old IDM abyss of 90% rhythm tracks, 10% everything else. Which is fine in its own right, but for straight polyrythmic appreciation I just get a little more from something performed, along the lines of Zakir Hussain or Steve Reich. Yeah, I know that doesn't answer to all the timbrel latitude Aaron provides, but along those lines I'm more likely to go with free jazz/electronics anyway.

Actually, a companion article on Autechre might be really good, but I don't think I've got the patience to write one.

Bravo though- a good read, and I gleaned a few directions to go from it. Thanks!
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yesterday I sort of wet myself a little when I found that "The Running Free," the first single from Coheed and Cambria's upcoming album, was up on iTunes. I loathe iTunes too, but in a profound weakness I gladly paid the dollar to download it (and promptly stripped the DRM from the file). I could rave about how excited I am for the album and what I think of the single, etc., but judging by the almost complete absence of any artists I recognize on this thread, I think Co&Ca just might not be indie enough or something. Only time will tell, I guess.

This is really old news, but Harvey Danger have made their latest album totally free on their website for like, over a year now. They had a super-catchy radio single in the days of my younger youth that unfortunately was the best thing by far on the whole album, but this new one is quite an enjoyable listen. It's one of the few full albums to occupy space on my not-iPod, which is quite an accomplishment, and I just felt like sharing.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coheed and Cambria aren't too indie, they're just too shit.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

He does this to a lesser extent that current Autechre, but I still see him as falling in a little too deep with that old IDM abyss of 90% rhythm tracks, 10% everything else.

well over the body of his work i'd have to say it's closer to 50/50, but i would also put ae at 70/30 in the other direction (every bit of perc is also a melodious bit) so take that for what it's worth. also, i really like confield a lot so again salt and whatnot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Coheed and Cambria aren't too indie, they're just too shit.

Well there you go, then. Don't mind me, just trying to join in on the discussion with my shit tastes.
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Well there you go, then. Don't mind me, just trying to join in on the discussion with my shit tastes.

Hey, is this seat taken? I need a place to hum Heaven Isn't Too Far Away.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw Fiona Apple last night. She needs to be singing in small clubs, not outdoor ampitheaters. She has better stage presence than nearly anyone I've ever seen, and she covered "After Midnight" and another older song that went like "whenever I'm feeling low, I get high" that made my nipples give a standing ovation.

Too bad she was sharing the stage with Nickel Creek. They were pretty good as her band (her bluegrass version of "Criminal," one of the best pop songs of the nineties, set the place on fire), but their own stuff was just bland by comparison.

And too bad I was so far away.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to tracks from Alec Empire's upcoming The Golden Foretaste of Heaven, and I really can't explain it at all, but it reminds me of Scott Walker. I really can't.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanye West's new album, Graduation, is a puzzle. It's a real departure from his first two albums, but I can't decide whether or not that's a good thing. He's daring in his production--the whole album is layered in electronics, but the whole things can get soullessly metallic. I miss the organic samples of strings and horns that gave such genuine warmth to his earlier music. And it seems like his vocals are an afterthought, oftentimes swallowed by the beats that they should be playing with. While the big themes in West's rhyming still provide some interesting food for thought, the intrigue that he always stitched so carefully into his previous songs now captivates by accident. Kanye is on top of the world, but that has made his lyrics an unattractively grotesque portrait of megalomania, rather than the brash and vulnerable challenges and confessions he used to spit.

To my extreme disappointment, he manages to drop the word "dyke" twice to refer to women he claims to have convinced to have group sex with him. None of his older songs featured that kind of ignorance.

The most interesting most moments on the record, though, are when he drops in bits of his old lyrics and riffs on them. In that respect, every now and then it feels like a Beatles record.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the hottest things about the internet is that, if a band is sufficiently obscure, you can google their name plus the word "download" and instantly come up with 5 or 6 albums.

So yeah, Les Rallizes Denudes is some hot shit. Japanese psych from the late 60s / early 70s. Of course some of it is boring, but when they have a quick pace it's really intense. And wonderfully noisy.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy, you'll also find some joy with this: http://g2p.org/.
jordan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to a mix I made that includes such gems as:
Eagles - Take It Easy
Dire Straits - Walk of Life
Roy Orbinson - Drove All Night
Alan Jackson - 5 O Clock Somewhere Rolling Eyes
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I've been listening to Roy Orbison non-stop all week!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Kanye West's new album, Graduation, is a puzzle. It's a real departure from his first two albums, but I can't decide whether or not that's a good thing. He's daring in his production--the whole album is layered in electronics, but the whole things can get soullessly metallic. I miss the organic samples of strings and horns that gave such genuine warmth to his earlier music. And it seems like his vocals are an afterthought, oftentimes swallowed by the beats that they should be playing with. While the big themes in West's rhyming still provide some interesting food for thought, the intrigue that he always stitched so carefully into his previous songs now captivates by accident. Kanye is on top of the world, but that has made his lyrics an unattractively grotesque portrait of megalomania, rather than the brash and vulnerable challenges and confessions he used to spit.

To my extreme disappointment, he manages to drop the word "dyke" twice to refer to women he claims to have convinced to have group sex with him. None of his older songs featured that kind of ignorance.

The most interesting most moments on the record, though, are when he drops in bits of his old lyrics and riffs on them. In that respect, every now and then it feels like a Beatles record.

People need to get over Kanye West, he's never really been all that good.

Hey I saw Prince last week!
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't the slightest idea Einstürzende Neubauten had a new album in the works until last week or so. I thought Perpetuum Mobile was intended to be the last before they moved on to their online projects (Still need to get a membership for those). Alles Wieder Offen, it's going to be titled, and it's planned for released mid-October.

They've a track up for download here. Its called Weil Weil Weil. A digital single of this song is also planned, with radio mix and remixes by the band members, including a karaoke version.

Also: "Last time I was here, I was doing a lot of complaining about the ridiculous prices of CDs down here. And that story got picked up and got carried all around the world and now my record label all around the world hates me, because I yelled at them, I called them out for being greedy fucking assholes. I didn't get a chance to check, has the price come down at all? I see a no, a no, a no... Has anyone seen the price come down? Okay, well, you know what that means - STEAL IT. Steal away. Steal and steal and steal some more and give it to all your friends and keep on stealin'. Because one way or another these motherfuckers will get it through their head that they're ripping people off and that that's not right."

TRENTU FITE THE POWUH!
silentmatt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Trent ran his own record label? Didn't he start nothing records? Or does that not exist anymore? (I haven't kept up with NIN in years...)
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defunct since 2004.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few more listens to Graduation: There are a couple very neat moments (only two that I've noticed so far) when Kanye quietly grooves along with his own production. He doesn't cut them out, but includes them as part of the beat, as though he had a mic on him when he was chopping and layering to begin with. It's achieves a sweetly vulnerable effect, that reminds us that Kanye is still human even when he raps like the Louis Vuitton Automaton for most of the record.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Protomen!!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new angels of light is fucking amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it has a completely different feel from their previous material.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't go that far; it's mostly evil country and western which fits in with a lot of gira's solo stuff.

the stuff that isn't evil country and western is more like acoustic swans in terms of tempo and whatever the italian word for BARUMPH is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cops' "Drop it in their laps" is one of those albums which makes a man want to stuff a sock down the front of his tight black jeans and strut around the city like he owns the place.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkthrone's newest F.O.A.D.. It continues The Cult Is Alive's further descent into the very beginnings of the genre. Or maybe it's just a NWOBHM tribute album, it could well be both!

The sleeve art is even more old-school than on Cult... (it's kind of like Horrorhammer by Abscess, it's probably by the same artist), there's colour(!) photos of Nocturnal and Fenriz in the book and some humorous written introductions to the songs. Then there's the list of album you should buy which includes bands like Repulsion, Agent Steel, Manilla Road, Attacker and fucking Slaughter.

Shit, this album is metal as fuck. It's black metal you can actually bang your head to instead of standing stock still and looking grim and anti-fun. I can tell that everyone who takes this shit way too seriously is going to absolutely hate it and bitch about how Darkthrone isn't going to do another Transylvanian Hunger or similar with a shitty production. They probably never really listened to Venom or Bathory's first album anyway.

Oh, and the new vocals on the song Canadian Metal will elicit a chuckle when they go a bit King Diamond at the end.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in love with Spoon right now. Their recent album "Ga ga ga ga ga" is superb.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanye West is the modern Samson.

When he takes off his sunglasses, he loses the ability to remember the words to his own songs and must instead spit clumsy freestyles.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was really strange. Too bad it happened during the best song on his new cd. I wish he messed up on one of his songs that is already clumsy to begin with.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Cacophony album. I really don't know how I came into possession of it because I'm pretty sure I never would have bought it. Speed Metal Symphony is either the best album you have ever heard because of the guitars or it is the worst album you have ever heard because of the masturbation. There is so much wank flying around the fretboards were probably so slick that fingers just glide effortlessly across to deliver hot man on guitar action. The jewel case should come with a sticker with the legend 'WARNING: Includes unhealthy amounts of guitar salad tossing'. But I guess that's to be expected from that whole neo-classical metal subgenre.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Jesu EP is beautiful as can be.

I didn't know Jarboe appeared on it until I heard her singing. That was a pleasant surprise.

I will definitely be picking this one up.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow spoon spoon spoon spoon spoon.

I don't know what took me so long to discover this band. They've been around for a while. They've released a lot of really good music.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I think it's appropriate for these forums to add that on the end of a song on Girls Can Tell, the lead singer just yells "FINISH HIM!" over and over.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look into Firewater.

P.S. You'll enjoy this, I think. And this.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko, you're the best.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danke.

Gizmos like that make me happy. I hope it's available for public purchase soon.

Oh, you should also check out this: http://www.lodger.tv/

Specifically the music videos. I Love Death in particular is worth seeing.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P. Lady Jaye Breyer P-Orridge

This sucks. A lot. Almost as bad as John Balance's death.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be the only music thread on the internet where no-one's talking about the new Radiohead album.

(It's good)
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY SHIT i'M LISTENING TO DAVID BYRNE DOING A COVER VERSION OF 'THE FUTURE' OFF PRINCE'S BATMAN ALBUM
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new venetian snares is quite delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
(It's good)

Three songs into my first listen, I'm fairly with you.

While Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga has continued to grow on me with each new listen--I can't wait to see Spoon this Friday!--I have made the time for other albums:

Help! by the Beatles -- Gorgeous pop. I love the way Lennon shouts before counseling "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away." George Harrison's strange fade-in/fade-out guitar chords make "I Need You" into a timeless love ballad. And "I've Just Seen A Face" stays in my head for days at a time.

Da Drought is Ova 2 by Lil Wayne -- This is one of Weezy's mixtapes as he preps his Carter 3 album. You can almost here him think these verses into being, and he spits them in alternatingly playful and ferocious tones, tones that most popular rappers have expunged from their repertoire. Coincidentally, one track samples the song"Help!" as Wayne turns Lennon's plea into an earnest tribute to his fans.

The Con by Tegan and Sara -- Outside of the intensely catchy single "Back in Your Head" this album is fairly boring.

Hey track 8 on this new Radiohead album does not stray far from their typical sound palette, but it's really good.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like House of Cards and Arpeggi, but the live versions that are knocking about are better than the ones one the record I reckon.
Six

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Oh, and I think it's appropriate for these forums to add that on the end of a song on Girls Can Tell, the lead singer just yells "FINISH HIM!" over and over.

Fun fact: frontman Britt Daniel worked as a composer at Origin for a while. Not sure what titles he worked on, though.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live music update: I saw Spoon last night. Britt is an unabashed spaz, and it totally makes him a rockstar. It's nice to see a band that understands how effective stacatto notes can be.

The show was a little uneven--it essentially highlighted the enormous gap in quality between most of their older albums and the new one. And it was a shame that the horn section, the drummer, and Britt had trouble synching up the tempo for "The Underdog," which could have been the highlight of the show. Not the way they played it, though. They were very generous with high points, though, and when they hit them the energy in the crowd was thick thick.

Public Service Announcement: if you ever get the opportunity to see a show at The Electric Factory in Philadelphia, do not pass it up. Great venue.

Tonight is jazz at the incomparable Ortlieb's Jazzhaus.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the new Prefuse 73 album in the mail, and I'm giving it a listen. So far, it's godly. I haven't given the bonus CD a listen yet, but I immagine it'll be good as well.

In related news, I'll be going to a Prefuse concert on the 17th of November. I'm so damn excited, and I'm bringing lots of cash so I can get decked out in merch.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty exciting: Saul Williams' new album will be released on November 1st. You can get it for free in 192kbps on release. Alternatively, you can pay $5, at which point you'll be able to choose from 192kbps, 320kbps or FLAC lossless.

Check it out: http://niggytardust.com/

helicopterp, you ever listen to any Saul Williams?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 12 of 22

Jump to: