The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ScummVM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malons

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: ScummVM Reply with quote

I recently downloaded the ScummVM program wanting to try some old PC adventure games, but I'm apparently incapable of figuring it out. I can't find where to get the adventure games themselves, and I'm not sure exactly how to make them work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games that ScummVM supports that are legal to download.

Pretty much you unzip the game's data files someplace, then run ScummVM, say "New Game" and point it to where you put the files. It figures out the rest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to want to play Beneath a Steel Sky, that's for sure.
David JS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might as well get this out of the way: is there anything I'm overlooking about the R4DS, or is that all sorted, and Scummvm does indeed run straight off the directory?

I'm seeing noise about DLDI patching, something or other...
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I just played through The Dig, Day Of The Tentacle and one path of Fate Of Atlantis two days back. You should really try and acquire copies of those three games as well as Full Throttle, which is a good game but not an exceptional one. DOTT has Maniac Mansion as a hidden game in it so you're basically getting two games there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I can't offer help; I just wanted to take advantage of this thread to talk about ScummVM games.

WHEN YOU GET IT WORKING, tell me and I will ramble.
Malons

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After figuring out and taking care of a small mistake I kept making I managed to get Beneath a Steel Sky to work.

I don't have much experience in the adventure genre, so I had to look some stuff up at various points, but it's a very enjoyable experience. My friend also has a copy of Sam and Max Hit the Road so I'm going to play that after I beat Beneath a Steel Sky. Then I'm going to search for Day of the Tentacle

Oh and feel free to ramble parkbench.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ending of Beneath a Steel Sky really bugged me.

I can't recommend Day of the Tentacle enough, though!

P.S. I've not played Fate of Atlantis but this amuses me no end: http://www.reddragonreptiles.net/music/FateOfAtlantis-MCRon.mp3

there's a Grim Fandango one here: http://sa.nextwish.org/Music/FateOfAtlantis-MCRon.wav
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that last act of beneath a steel sky is sort of a train wreck. it has a few strong moments though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indiana jones wrote:
it's pointing at sophia's box!

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how any non-specific pronoun is dirty in the mind of MC Ron. 'Glotis is busy with / it / right now!'
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy wow, they've added support for, like, a bunch of Sierra titles to ScummVM!

Unfortunately, the two King's Quest titles I own, V and VI, are conspicuously absent. Does anyone know of an interpreter like ScummVM that supports these?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's FreeSCI, but it only supports the 16-bit EGA-era games and the project is pretty dead. DOSBox works pretty well, though.

I was wondering when they'd get around to finishing their merge with Sarien. And AGI support is available in the DS port, too! Ooh. You guys should play the Manhunter games. They're totally brilliant, years ahead of their time, and brutally flawed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Patrick Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
You're going to want to play Beneath a Steel Sky, that's for sure.

Not necessarily!

Malons wrote:
...it's a very enjoyable experience.

Oh! Never mind then!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malons

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so I got my hands on a copy of Sam and Max, like I mentioned already, and a copy of Day of the Tentacle as I've heard only good things about it. The next games I'm looking for would be King's Quest and Monkey Island.

After playing a bit of Beneath A Steel Sky I ended up getting side tracked and sucked into Hotel Dusk. Ha, as soon as I finally have the potential to play a ton of classics I end up playing a game I've been putting off for unknown reasons ever since I purchased it. At least it's an adventure game, or adventure gameish.

So as soon as I beat Hotel Dusk, which I've spent all day on, I'm going to look into these ScummVM games.

Also: Can anyone help me with what I need for the ScummVMDS program, like the best/cheapest equipment and where to find them. I can probably figure out to put it all together, just which is the best/cheapest stuff to get it on my DS is usually my problem.

Thanks for all your help.
Adilegian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway to get ScummVM to run on a console? I'd love to play these games on my TV, especially since my wrist has started to hurt while using the comp.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malons wrote:
Also: Can anyone help me with what I need for the ScummVMDS program, like the best/cheapest equipment and where to find them. I can probably figure out to put it all together, just which is the best/cheapest stuff to get it on my DS is usually my problem.

probably the most popular DS flash device currently is the R4, owing mainly to its pretty low price and ease of use. however, if you have any interest at all in using the thing to load GBA roms/homebrew, i'd suggest the EzV instead, as it's kind of a much better card overall.

order from winsunx - www.passcard4.com - they cost about $17 to ship from hong kong or wherever but their prices are generally the best in spite of this. an R4 + 1gb microsd will run you about $40 plus shipping from them; the EzV + microsd is $50.

scummvm will work on an xbox or a dreamcast.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to pimp out Maniac Mansion Deluxe now because its slightly more legal than trying to find the original online.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adilegian wrote:
Is there anyway to get ScummVM to run on a console? I'd love to play these games on my TV, especially since my wrist has started to hurt while using the comp.

It looks like the Dreamcast port is still kept up to date.
Adilegian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Adilegian wrote:

It looks like the Dreamcast port is still kept up to date.

I'm very, very happy about this.

But I don't have my Secret of Monkey Island CD anywhere handy!
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can probably make something to that effect happen if you'd like..
Adilegian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
i can probably make something to that effect happen if you'd like..

Yes, please! How?

I put the CD into storage after I stuck the contents on my HD so I could play the game on my laptop, so I have all the game files. Just not the media I need to disc-swap on the DC.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make me a list of games you want. this is the last week i'll have all this time on my hands for a long time and i'd love to be helpful.

edit: ok, do me a favor and see if this bad boy works in your dreamcast, and if so we can add stuff from there.

(80 meg rar'ed nero image which is admittedly not entirely scumm stuff - you'll see)

(PS - anything on that CD which may or may not lead to your playing umihara kawase should have its options configured as mono sound, transparencies off, interpolation off, optimzation on. just, y'know, should anything like that happen to come up.)
Adilegian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
make me a list of games you want. this is the last week i'll have all this time on my hands for a long time and i'd love to be helpful.

edit: ok, do me a favor and see if this bad boy works in your dreamcast, and if so we can add stuff from there.

(80 meg rar'ed nero image which is admittedly not entirely scumm stuff - you'll see)

(PS - anything on that CD which may or may not lead to your playing umihara kawase should have its options configured as mono sound, transparencies off, interpolation off, optimzation on. just, y'know, should anything like that happen to come up.)

Sent you a PM!

Oh, God, I'm listening to Eduardo Gouveia's rock arrangement of the Monkey Island theme, and it's got me crying with nostalgia.

EDIT: OH MY GOD IT WORKS.

JKL:SDFJKL:SDJKL:SDFJKL:SDFJKL:SDFJKL:SDFJKL:

VIOLENTLY HAPPY.

EDIT EDIT:

Cat knuckles?

How barbaric!

*dies*
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good!

oh! i forgot to mention: burn it slowly if possible.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, my favorite thing about Beneath a Steel Sky is how well the colours are chosen in the scene where you're talking to the mechanic guy who's got green dungarees and an orange moustache. That's seriously my favorite part of the game and the rest I can take or leave.

I liked the main character's relationship with JOEY but they fuck that up in the last act and the game is therefore dead to me. Dead!
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to get the sampled instruments from the mac versions working in scummvm? the squeaky-clean midi is totally ruining Fate of Atlantis for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: