The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lestrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a terrific low-fi video for a surprisingly good song. Love that freeze-frame punching action (not to mention the laser blasts).
Rud13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Why can't I get a version of Killer Instinct (arcade) anywhere? Sad Come on, Rare, release that shit! If I had it for MAME I wonder how it'd run? Probably like ass.

There's a specific Ultra64 emulator.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm submitting again to Lifemeter. I have submitted before—three things, in fact. Can you believe that I—I, who has wasted more of his life drawing video game characters than anyone within this entire city, no doubt—was not even rejected, but completely ignored? I mean, I'm not claiming to be God's gift to video game art, but seriously; compared to what they have on their site, nothing I sent them tickled their fancy?

I said to my wife, "Wife, a video game character art site is ignoring my submissions." I know I am down on myself oftentimes, but I know in my heart of hearts I am not so bad as to be completely ignored by a goddamn video game art site.

What is it with me? Try and try—I bounce back more times than a nobody writer trying to sell a manuscript, and yet I get nothing but contempt from all sides. I have gone from disbelief to rage to just blinding confusion. I am the most approachable, sociable guy (I know that sounds weird, but it's true!). I'm the guy everyone asks directions of, because nobody figures I'll knife them, I guess—so what is with the constant disdain and dismissal? Man, you should see me in art circles; I'm the most genuine, down-to-earth dude in the crowd, and I just get shit on. It's like I'm trying to speak another language and accidentally confuse "Hi, nice to meet you" with "Go fuck your mother," considering the response I've received thus far.

Anyway. The wife and I watched a gorgeous, fantastic performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream in the largest park here in Toronto. It was just great. All this after feeding an inexplicable appetite alongside the weirdest assortment of dinner guests yet—the table was awash in English, Japanese, Cantonese and Korean—at a restaurant best described visually as the Jedi Council.

Happy Canada Day!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear pirates got turned down too.

clearly, something in their heads is wrong.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is this pirates thing? ME CONFOOOOSED!

Wait, is "pirates" an automatic censored version of "your mom?"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirates is that winged assassins fellow who hangs around.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FORGIVE ME DESS, FOR I HAVE SINNED

DOA4 on mah new HDTV!
aerisdead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went canoeing in Algonquin this weekend.

I got 34 mosquito bites.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really purrdy Lestrade. Congrats!

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerisdead, awesome! I'm going canoing in two weeks. We really should hook up soon, man. I'm stupid-busy all of August but I can work a game night (or beer night) if you want.

Thanks, Wes. It's not top-of-the-line but I'm really happy with it. I'll take a photo with better light so you can see it.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, peoples: I have an Xbox 360. I have an HDTV. How worth it/not worth it is the HD-DVD add-on? How badly is Blu-Rray winning?

My wife—bless her—almost sounds interested in getting a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player. We were talking about HD movies and which format is better, etc. DAMN, why can't we get HD movie downloads (or any movie downloads) over Xbox Live here? I would absolutely use this service. I mean, the Fountain in HD? ARRRGGGHHHH
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, basically... no one's winning enough yet. For a couple of months Blu-ray will have a 60% market share, then a couple months later HD-DVD will have a 60% market share. I mean, do you really think that DVDs look that bad on your TV? Because, like my wife doesn't notice much of a difference at all between HDvideo and DVD quality. I honestly only notice a major difference in the quality of text. Anyways, getting a PS3 as a blu-ray player isn't a horrible idea because I know you want the games on it and it improves the quality of PS2 games (I don't know canada so I don't know if you gents get hardware BC on yours, sorry). The main thing is that you'll probably see very quickly that it's not worth the extra $10+ per movie to get the quality difference. It is nice to have a blu-ray player on the PS3 so that I can put blu-ray movies on my Net Flix queue. The first movie that I'm going to buy on Blu-Ray is 300, and that's mostly because there is a large benefit in audio quality more than anything (it also helps that it's only $1 more than the DVD... even though the DVD has tons of special features I won't be getting.)

ANYWAYS, my point is that it's probably a bad idea to get anything specifically to get HD-movies currently. It's probably going to take one more holiday season before there is a "winner" if there even is one. If you get a PS3, make sure it's mostly for games, not as a blu-ray player.

Also... like do you have a surround sound system at all? And if you do does it take HDMI in for audio purposes (or just pass through HDMI for video)?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade, if you don't mind ebay, I would suggest that route. I don't know the BC situation there, but you can get one of the older 60 gig systems with 100% for a hundred or two less than new. I purchased a 60 gig unit for $405 (another $30 for shipping), then I found a $1 HDMI cable off Amazon (a mistake, but monoprice.com has them for $5-15), and am enjoying Blu-Ray at 1080p. I also use Blockbuster Online, which is a nice alternative to buying the movies (or netflix, as shaper mentioned). I rarely watch movies more than once or twice so renting makes a lot more sense to me, and a lot of the newer Blu-Ray releases just aren't releases I'd want after a viewing. Planet Earth is a pretty fantastic rental if you're making that jump, in either HD DVD or Blu-Ray.

I looked for sellers with 100% feedback and who had made $200+ transactions before. Luckily, there are a ton on there. And because there aren't many games out for the system, a lot of people are dumping them now. I believe your TV does up to 1080i, which means you could get a 20 gig version since you wouldn't miss HDMI/1080p, unless you wanted it for audio. The good thing about that is the 20 gig version can be found for around $200, or maybe less. You can get a wireless adapter and bigger HD later, if you would prefer that. Not to mention the extras you will get with it - I got a copy of Blazing Angels that I traded in for $15 in credit. Most people don't register their systems, so you can send off the card when you get it in to be covered as well.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, folks. I do have a 5.1 system but it doesn't accept HDMI (I don't think; I'll have to check).

I just got back from my family reunion of sorts. It was awesome. My two nieces are adorable and hilarious 11 and 9 year olds. One of them once said while my brother was walking past, "Uh-oh, Dad's in the hizzouse!" It's like I taught them personally. My wife had them playing Trauma Centre and New SMB on their white and pink DSes. So cute.

Anyway, while heading to the elevator after returning to the city with my nieces and their parents, I heard some bleepy music coming from another apartment.

"That's Ninja Gaiden!" I yelped.

"Ninja what?" my sister-in-law said.

"No, wait—Ninja Gaiden Two. Someone must be playing an old Nintendo!" I exclaimed. Then for a second I got excited because I thought Ninja Gaiden II was out for VC. (I know it isn't.)

Also, today's my five-year wedding anniversary!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Also, today's my five-year wedding anniversary!

Late congrats! Sep26 will be my 7th! I feel old Sad

Also... lestrade I need you to email me you address so I can send that stuff out to you.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll congratulate you in September, assuming you don't forget your anniversary because of Halo 3.

I've also emailed you what you need.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a dad teaching his kid to play hockey or something. I met my younger friend today to help him haul an absolute motherload of stuff—an Xbox, PS2, GameCube, PSP, DS, and several dozen game—to my favourite local game shop, the eternally awesome Game Centre. I sort of know the owner (since I've been going there for 10 years!) and they tallied my friend's stuff up on the spot. He walked away with an Xbox 360 Elite and a copy of Gears (it wasn't a direct trade; he still had to pay a bit). Man, that's a nice looking system. It felt like vicarious Christmas.

I also pre-ordered Halo 3, which now has me excited. I was going to go for the Legendary Edition but I just can't pay $150 for a game. I'll gladly get the Limited Edition, because damn iffin' I don't love metal cases, but I'll forgo the cat helmet, thanks, and "find" those other two DVDs that come with the Legendary Edition somewhere else.

Also! My friend had the Document of MGS2—I was more than happy to take that off his hands before we brought everything to the shop. I'm going to watch/play it tonight; I'm very excited!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Lifemeter actually got back to me. Who knows what will happen, but at least they acknowledged my email.

This weekend is the Fan Expo uber-comic-fest. I will be selling my comic and, of course, The Gamer's Quarter. Photos and video will abound, and I'm going to do the same thing I did last year; every night I'll update that day's footage online for all to see.

I'm sort of depressed right now about the whole fucking comic thing again, so right now I'm not actually excited about the convention. Usually I'm hysterical; hopefully by Friday I'll be in better spirits.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I survived the first day of Fan Expo 2007. It wasn't a great day; never mind the mad rush from work to get to the convention, or the usual fuck-ups by the convention staff. The business wasn't great today (it never is on Friday), but more people seemed interested in my plush Mario mushroom than anything I was selling.

I did sell a few copies of TGQ, though, which was great. Some guy from DC Comics felt compelled to stop and check it out, though never bought a copy. One guy—middle-aged, confused-looking—stopped by my table, mouthed the words, "Gamer's Quarter?" and then debated himself for quite a while before picking up an issue to look at.

Fucking mouth-breathers, man. Seriously.

I'll have video up as soon as iMovie starts behaving.

DAY ONE FOOTAGE
Check out the MLG set-up and on-stage Guitar Hero madness!

DAY TWO FOOTAGE Link, Heather and Midna sound off on The Gamer's Quarter. Plus: Halo 3 Legendary Edition and controllers, competitive gaming and Gandalf the White!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAY THREE
I had to leave early. I'm sick. :-(
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those videos are rad man. Day Two looked like it was a lot of fun!

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, glad you liked 'em. Here's the very short Day Three video.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shit, local retro games store, very close to my home!
jordan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game certainly looked good, and in a very Sony-esque nod opens with — gasp! — lots of FMV. Rolling Eyes
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I kind of want a super-cheap Sega CD so I can play its shitty games. I've never owned one. I'd like a CDX ('cause it's all in one), but I don't want to pay more than $50 CAD for the whole shebang.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a CDX and it's amazing!

But enough bragging! It's also worth it for the really great games. Like Snatcher for one.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to see if I can get on from eBay. :-(
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to a chiptunes show last night. The DJ was TouchBoy, someone I met through a mutual friend. (Surprisingly he remembers me, though I haven't been able to make it to a show in months.)

He put on a fucking terrific set. It was only an hour, but holy shit was it good. He's really hit his groove as far as composition and programming goes. I danced the whole time (you'll probably see that in a video of the event on his site!); it was just a bunch of strangers and I gettin' down to a brick Game Boy—the stuff dreams are made of.

TouchBoy was invited to the Blip festival in New York, and said with a big, shit-eating grin that the event was fantastic. Man, I'd love to write/draw something on a show of his for the magazine.

And now I'm hung over.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I've got a CDX and it's amazing!

But enough bragging! It's also worth it for the really great games. Like Snatcher for one.

Well, you asshole, I just bought a CDX on ebay. I hope you're happy with what you've done. Joyful photos when I get it!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really excited because my CDX should be arriving tomorrow!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrival yes/no?

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet... :-(
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no CDX. I think it's stuck at customs.

After meeting my Japanese tutor I was wandering about Yonge & Bloor a bit. The weather has been terribly odd lately; muggy and constantly in flux. For October this is really, quite honestly frightening.

A fog hung over the city, ashen grey and flat, muffling sounds and making small streets feel cozy and intimate, like an outdoor living room. Buildings seemed eerily lit with the side-effect backlighting provided by all the ambient light trapped in the low clouds. I love walking around the city when the weather's like this; it feels more real, more natural. Much more human.

I got on the subway, looking like a student with my cheap shoes and backpack, but feeling much older; I've been so tired and cranky lately, I'm half-expecting to see a shock of white hair appear on my head as a mark of so much time spent being irate.

Tomorrow morning I head via bus to the country; a much-needed respite from grey and concrete and asphalt and windows. I will get to see my mom's harvest, and probably a deer or two in the yard, if I'm lucky. I'll be travelling sans wife, unfortunately. She's going to miss out on a nice 11-pound Thanksgiving turkey.

I was going to bring my Wii, but I've decided against it because: (a) I should be communing with nature instead!, and (b) I have grown to loathe taking non-portable systems anywhere with me. I wish I had made this decision before I unhooked it. I also downloaded SMB2:Lost Levels and Ninja Gaiden to take with me, but oh well.

I'll probably bring my DS. I like to travel light, but I have to bring our (thankfully resurrected) iBook with me, and that's luggage (and technology) enough for a long weekend in the country.

Have a lovely weekend, all. Happy Thanksgiver to my fellow Canucks.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo, Canadian Thanksgiving!

Note: I am not actually Canadian; however, in college I was friends with two Canadian grad students who invited everybody over for Canadian Thanksgiving. I brought Kraft Dinner and Moosehead, which was a big hit and helped them out with the pinata, since they didn't know about the

a) blindfold
b) that you move it up and down
c) that you don't fill it with dried cranberries, popcorn and nuts because that shit is going on the floor, holmes.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey piñata! That'd be fun.

My CDX comes in today, albeit with an extra duty charge I wasn't expecting. Shouldn't my eBay seller be sending my system as a gift so I don't have to pay duty?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on the bus back to the city yesterday I met an old high school friend whom I haven't seen since—well, since high school. As we were catching up, she intimated that among her musical endeavours, she contributed a song to GTA3! Sure as shootin', her credit appears on the Wikipedia page for the game's soundtrack.

Also, my mom is addicted to Wii Sports. Plus, I almost injured her while playing Wii Tennis. Sweet!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent. Next get her some VC games to play when she's tired then she's hooked.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah—I forgot to tell the story of how I got the Wii along in the first place!

So, after I arrived at my mom's, she gently asked. "So, did you bring your Wii?" Crestfallen, I had to admit that I did not (for the reasons above). But fear not!, I thought, there was a way.

I phoned my best friend, who lives here in the city but also comes from the same town as I do. I knew he was coming home, so I asked him if he could swing by my place and pick up, "a parcel I forgot for my mom."

Nancy wrapped up my Wii in a box all sneaky-like, and sure enough, it found its way to my mom's eventually.

--

Now, Sega CDX!

Sega CD-X

Guess what my first game for it was?

MK Sega CD

Yeah! It's shitastically awesome.
aerisdead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDX is made of win.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean I'm a winner?
aerisdead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You knows it!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to graduate to a six button pad next!

Oh, and play Snatcher. It's pretty easy to get an ISO. Just make sure you burn the games at as slow a speed as possible.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, will do. I'm going to swap one of my 3-button pads with a 6-button next month.

Man, Sega CD FMV is highlarious. The Mortal Kombat commercial at the beginning of this disc is like a 120x90 video upscaled to whatever the Sega CD's resolution is (with MASSIVE SCANLINES), reduced to 16 colours at best, then shit all over, then upscaled again to my HDTV. It's glorious.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to play Final Fight CD for the intro. Also: Home of the Underdogs has a fairly decent collection of Sega CD games for download.

ryan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there something that combines a Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X? Or do I need to get a CDX and toss on a 32X? I have a Genesis and second generation Sega CD somewhere, but I need the extra shelf space a smaller unit would provide.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the Neptune (below), which was never actually released. I wonder why? Sega only had the Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Game Gear and the upcoming Saturn going on at the time.

You can technically use a 32X with a CDX, but Sega once warned of overheating. According to some websites, though, this is a very unlikely event. I've yet to try it out, but that copy of Cosmic Carnage at my local game shop is egging me on!

ryan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Neptune was just a standalone 32X? I really should have bought that 32X for $5 from that traveling discount sale deal. ARGH. I always wanted to try a few games on it - Virtua Fighter, DOOM, Metalhead - but I also want to try Clockwork Knight, so I suppose I should go for the lower fruit.

I really can't wait until I get a job that pays more than the anxiety-inducing wages I earn now. Heaven help my 'office' when that happens, invaded by every CD attachment and their accompanying console bases that the '90s had to offer.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can avoid it, don't use a 32X with the CDX. It makes a very loud noise like it may blow up, or is charging to blow up. I played Knuckles Chaotix for about 30 minutes in it once and decided the game just wasn't worth possibly blowing up my 32X for.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Knuckles Chaotix ... wasn't worth possibly blowing up my 32X for.

Hmm, which element of this situation was the worse, do you think?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I still haven't put much time into Chaotix!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: