The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shin Reading Thread Gaiden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
love in the time of cholera is good. no worries.

i have not yet started the new pynchon yet. i will at some point next week.

i will report back.

Mike, the new Pynchon sucks. I mean.

I know you like to read boring shit and all, but the new Pynchon just falt out sucks. It's like he's not even trying to try to write an okay book.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if he ever set out to do that in the first place.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i like pyncho de muerte, he makes me laugh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.

Sergei, what's the best translation for Bulgakov? I've heard Penguin Classics is horrible.

I finally broke down and bought a new copy of Moby Dick to replace my lost ancient hardback last night. I still think The Sermon is one of the finest chapters in literary history.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Me too.

Sergei, what's the best translation for Bulgakov? I've heard Penguin Classics is horrible.

I finally broke down and bought a new copy of Moby Dick to replace my lost ancient hardback last night. I still think The Sermon is one of the finest chapters in literary history.

The consensus seems to be that Roger (Robert?) Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky do the best translations of Russian litaterature. In fact, that's they are the ones that did the Penguin translation. So I don't know what to say. I rarely read Russian literature in English, though I would give them a shot over anyone else (if merely for the name recognition).

And, mike, I really, really tried liking the new Pynchon, but it still sucked. Consider this a warning
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm re-reading A Clockwork Orange because the film is playing at our local theatre next Friday/Sat/Sun at midnight. I haven't read the book in about 10 years now, so I've forgotten a bit of the slang. Outside of animal farm this is the first book that I read in HS for pleasure that I still find to be well written in life after HS. Not that I've re-read a lot of books I read in HS (some that I didn't like I do now like To Kill a Mockingbird for example) but a good chunk of things that I read in HS for fun are just kind of trashy now and I wonder what I saw in them then.

Anyways, yeah, ACO, Kubrick, Theatre!! hell yeah.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Roger (Robert?) Pevear

Richard.

He and his wife Larissa have done phenomenal jobs on Dostoevsky and Gogol, but I can't say I've read their (or any one else's) version of Bulgakov.

Also, um, Harry Potter 7. Every free moment I get. I'm about halfway through. Is anyone else around here a big dork?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with my wife to the midnight sale when she got hers, if that counts.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Moorcock's Epic Pooh, wherein he lambasts the works of Tolkien.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel less stupid now that i'm up to chapter 2 of women, fire and dangerous things. i'm starting to wrap my head around the terminology and all that.

man i'm so glad the wife is done reading the potter book so i don't have to hear about it anymore. (i think her reading some fan community stuff effectively killed a lot of the enthusiasm she felt. and not just the harry's magical pregnancy stuff.)
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My library system is all kinds of awesome for having The Fat Man on Game Audio: Tasty Morsels of Sonic Goodness. The Fat Man is this insane, scrawny nerd from California who pretends he's from Texas, tells massive fish stories, wears Nudie suits, and has been working in videogame music since the Intellivision. I'm finding it startlingly entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine just bought me The 13 and 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers today. I started it. It's a nice complement to The Book of Imaginary Beings and, to quote dhex, "the Potter book."

Did I mention it contains lots of illustrations?

Last edited by helicopterp on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i think her reading some fan community stuff effectively killed a lot of the enthusiasm she felt.

That's pretty much what killed it for me, way back when the second book came out. And it wasn't even the scary Internet fan communities, but just (well-meaning, I'm sure) friends and neighbors telling me "You'd really like this book. You NEED to read it." The last thing I ever want to hear is someone telling me I "NEED" to read anything, and so I swore a vow that if I ever read Harry Potter, it would be a decade from now when the buzz of the whole thing has completely died down. The thing is, though, I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Part of my resistance comes from my own childhood reading Tolkein and Terry Brooks; while I won't pretend the latter is in any great literary class (though I do find him a great storyteller), I'm honestly appalled as to how many of the Potter-reading youth are only familiar with Tokein's work through the recent movies.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do tell people that they need to read something, but only if i'm really sure they would like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah, I get that, but when I've got people unfamiliar with my literary tastes telling me repeatedly I need to read something that almost runs contrary to said tastes, I get a little hostile about it, you know?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be sure.

what they mean to say, of course, is "*I* am so glad *I* read this book!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although finding it hard to take that they don't share your tastes is a bit, uh, similar?

I mean, I loves me some Moby Dick (I'm re-reading it again); I'm not going to feel like people are heathens if they're not interested.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

between you and me, that means they are heathens.

and yes exactly in that bad project pitchfork burning sage kinda way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to join this persecution party.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find someone writing bad folk songs about norse gods and the death of the christian one and hit them in the head with a guitar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
The 13 and 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear

Bluebear's sixth life is as a student. I want to share a couple of the more hilarious passages about his classmates:

Quote:
On returning to the classroom we found Fredda's desk occupied by a newcomer, a timid unicorn named Flowergrazer.

Flowergrazer was as unlike Fredda as anyone could possibly imagine. A quiet, attentive pupil, he spoke in a low, inaudible voice and was boring in the extreme. He devoted his spare time to writing poems, all of which dealt with unicorns who were lonely, deeply distressed by their solitude, and called Flowergrazer.

or:

Quote:
[Knio the Barbaric Hog] was continually uttering oaths in which prominent roles were played by all manner of gods, giants, or other legendary creatures. 'By the Midgard Serpent!' he would cry, or, 'May the Megadragon devour me if it isn't true!' When we were in bed at night he used to torment us with his prodigious flatulence, of which, to crown everything, he appeared to be proud. 'Watch out,' was the customary prelude to one of his phenomenal farts, 'here comes Wotan's revenge!'

Finally, on a related note to some of the discussion in this board:

Quote:
[Our teacher] also said something about Yohan Zafritter's The Black Whale, a 4000-page novel describing the hunt for a Tyrannomobyus Rex, and before long I had not only memorized the entire text but knew how to attach a line to a harpoon and coil it round a bollard in the stern. I also knew what 'whale' was in Latin, Greek, Icelandic, Polynesian, and Yhollian.

This book is a clever delight.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am reading nawal el saadawi's woman at point zero (aka firdous). it is harrowing, and i have to follow it with about half an hour of reading through old issues of hothead paisan to keep my mental equillibrium.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met William Gibson today, who was a slouched over, thin, balding, bored-looking dude with a difficult to place hick accent. The inoffensive blandness of actually seeing him slowly rise up from the escalator in a black parka, green button-down, and cargo pants brought a smile to my face; another legend brought back down to earth. The amused look on his face as the announcer gave the usual speech about him being "father of cyberpunk" was also pleasant. He's been listening to the same shit for twenty-five years and I liked that he looked about as tired of hearing it as I was. I mean, I only like his cyberpunk works and consider everything else that he's written to be trash that's been popular because of the reputation of Neuromancer, but the dude's obviously stopped caring about that all of that long ago and it must be annoying to have everyone bring the same thing up about your past for such a long time.

He seemed pretty uninterested in being in B&N and read from his new novel without enthusiasm. He made a few amusing jokes that I can't remember, mostly making fun of the stupid questions that the audience threw at him.

The only thing that that seemed truly interesting was when he said that the ad agency in Virtual Light was described from his memory Ridley Scott's agency in London. "It's basically RSA with another logo in the lobby and new carpets."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
I met William Gibson today

GODDAMN YOU SERGEI, STRAIGHT TO HELL! YOU HAVE TAKEN ALL THAT I HAVE TO LIVE FOR FROM ME!

But uh, anyways. I'm like 3/4 of the way through Spook Country, and while I'd hate to impose any more on you when you're already so tolerant of my incessant Gibson fellating, I'd recommend at least reading the first few chapters. I know you hated Pattern Recognition, though, and Spook Country continues the modern-day setting, albeit with a very different focus. Gibson must be doing some heavy internalizing of recent events with regards to domestic spying and wiretapping, etc. because Spook Country is essentially a Cold War spy thriller of today and really goes to town on the idea that They Are Watching You.

I suppose one of the things I like most about Gibson is the way his writing has changed. With the Sprawl Trilogy and Burning Chrome, he was at the helm of the regrettably short cyberpunk movement. With the Bridge trilogy he took things a little closer to home and started working out the effects and affects of concepts like celebrity in the digital age, and with Pattern Recognition and now Spook Country it's like his focus has tightened even more in a most timely relevance.

Not sure if you've seen this, but its a fairly interesting interview with Gibson that covers, among other things, just why he's not doing much sci-fi anymore.

Just out of curiousity, have you seen No Maps For These Territories? I'm thinking the whole 'completely unenthusiastic/mildly amused' thing you said he had in B&N might just be the way the guy is. If you watch the documentary, though, beware of U2.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to Bioshock's foot being based in Ayn Rand objectivism I picked up the only book by her on my shelf: the fountainhead. Is it terrible that I'm kind of enjoying it?

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.

(no i mean we all have weird tastes. i get funny looks when i mention that the godfather is a great book. it's not as good as fools die, which i recommend to anyone who ever wanted to write anything.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I burnt that book once I was done with it.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not as bad as Anthem.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started a short story collection by Nathanial Hawthorne called Mosses from an Old Manse. I love the title. I do not love the contents.

"The Birthmark," one of his more famous stories, feels as though it were outdated the minute he published it. It's about a "man of science," a boring, underdeveloped caricature, really, who wants to fix a blemish (the birthmark) on his wife's face. It's a little bit sci-fi, and a whole lot heavy-handed moralizing. It's also completely devoid of the humor that makes his introduction to the collection (fittingly called "The Old Manse") so engaging.

I'm going to stick with it for a little while longer since I inherited the book, but I'm running out of patience quickly.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Due to Bioshock's foot being based in Ayn Rand objectivism I picked up the only book by her on my shelf: the fountainhead. Is it terrible that I'm kind of enjoying it?

Well, Ok, around page 140 it started to take a nose dive and shove the characters morals down the readers throat for some of the more minor characters. I still like Roark and kind of wish that the book would just freaking keep him as the focus. YES, I understand that other dude has a completely overbearing mother, yes that guy is gullible, yes you have complete polar ends of the emotional levels and metal capacities as friends. I get it. But what about that crazy architect? I want to know more about him.

I'm pretty much going to stop reading this book when Roark's character becomes crap.

seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rand has always been on my list of really good bad writers.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I kind of hate this book at this point, but can't stop reading it. I mean, Rand has to be one of the most neurotic people/writers ever. I don't like being inside the heads of people. These "heroes" are so unwilling to compromise it's disgusting. It's compelling a little because it's like watching a trainwreck over and over again. I don't know if I'll be able to finish it, but I'm still reading. I can see why you would actually dispose of the book when you were finished with it Dracko.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man valis must have been kinda rough on you shapes.

hey for fun read death on the installment plan next.

no scratch that have you read black spring by henry miller?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Adam Gopnik essay on Philp K. Dick has apparently been causing a stir of sorts.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i read that. didn't seem very crazy. i disagree with him on the value of valis and all that but i am a connoisseur of the paranoid fringe.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
man valis must have been kinda rough on you shapes.
no scratch that have you read black spring by henry miller?

Valis wasn't rough, I just wasn't expecting it: you know?

I have not read anything by Henry Miller. So no.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, shit, I realized why you said that about Valis dhex. Probably because of this right?
Shapermc wrote:
I don't like being inside the heads of people.

It should read "I don't like being inside the heads of _these_ people." Specifically about the characters in the fountainhead.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
This Adam Gopnik essay on Philp K. Dick has apparently been causing a stir of sorts.

I couldn't finish reading this. The writer seems to have just recently started to study Dick and in a very nonchalant kind of way. He seems to gloss over major points to focus on minor bits. He uses examples from Dick's writing but he uses poor ones (like the state of consumerism and escapism is much better portrayed in Galactic Pothealer than Three Stigmata, and Stigmata is better about how humanity will continue to ruin itself even beyond what is "livable")

I do agree with the writer on one thing: Ubik is probably Dick's masterpiece.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should read black spring.

if i find one i'll send you an extra copy. i should have one lying around here somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just done reading Vladimir Nabokov's Mary. It's a peculiar novella, to me, in light of its solemn tone. But Nabokov manages to deal with matters of obsession and nostalgia without falling into melancholy. It's almost sobering.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I am just done reading Vladimir Nabokov's Mary. It's a peculiar novella, to me, in light of its solemn tone. But Nabokov manages to deal with matters of obsession and nostalgia without falling into melancholy. It's almost sobering.

I remember stumbling upon this five years ago in Moscow. It's called "Mashenka" in Russian. I recall enjoying it, though I can't remember a thing about it now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name change is very telling. Supposedly the name, in one of its forms (or one like it) was the name of his real-life first love, long before Vera ever came into the picture. He uses the inspiration again for his Tamara Gardens in Invitation to a Beheading, somehow.

I'm reading Henry James's The Golden Bowl. It feels like Anna Karenina. James uses an awful lot of commas.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
He uses the inspiration again for his Tamara Gardens in Invitation to a Beheading, somehow.

God, I loved that book. It's one of my favourites of his, alongside Pale Fire, which I vastly prefer over Lolita. Most everyone tells me I should follow with The Real Life of Sebastian Knight, which does sound very compelling and right up my alley. I probably will and grab Laughter in the Dark while I'm at it. I've heard wildly differing opinions on Ada or Ardor: A Family Chronicle, though. Worth the look?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Lolita

HAVE YOU HAD IT OFF WITH KIDS
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowtorches and drills for everyone and everything!
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
helicopterp wrote:
He uses the inspiration again for his Tamara Gardens in Invitation to a Beheading, somehow.

God, I loved that book. It's one of my favourites of his, alongside Pale Fire, which I vastly prefer over Lolita. Most everyone tells me I should follow with The Real Life of Sebastian Knight, which does sound very compelling and right up my alley. I probably will and grab Laughter in the Dark while I'm at it. I've heard wildly differing opinions on Ada or Ardor: A Family Chronicle, though. Worth the look?

Invitation to a Beheading and Pale Fire are my favorites, too. Laughter in the Dark is the first one I ever read. It features the best opening paragraph you'll ever read, and you can finish it in a weekend easily. They aren't steering you wrong with Sebastian Knight, either.

Ada is difficult. I don't think I even made it halfway the first time I tried it. I'm going to pick it up again sometime, but not before I really have time to sink my teeth in. What makes it so tedious is that it feels torn between wanting to parody nineteenth century family novels and wanting to be a nineteenth century family novel. He doesn't make a secret of its inspiration coming largely from Anna Karenina--just read the first sentence. In addition, it's his most direct attempt to reconcile his Russian birth with his American and Western European life. Like, to the point that he tries to combine their geographies. It gets very complicated very quickly.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm reading the satanic verses. it came in remarkably handy on monday, when crazy preacher dude decided to make his appearance in the incarnation of the very angry haitian man no one can understand.

thank you mr. rushdie.

i have a weird history with this book, as i first read it when it came out (i was 12 at the time) because i thought hey this book is making assholes crazy and therefore must be really good (or really filthy, which when you're 12 is the same thing). instead i was deeply, deeply, deeply confused, and didn't really clear that up until i was 18 or 19.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i'm reading the satanic verses. it came in remarkably handy on monday, when crazy preacher dude decided to make his appearance in the incarnation of the very angry haitian man no one can understand.

thank you mr. rushdie.

i have a weird history with this book, as i first read it when it came out (i was 12 at the time) because i thought hey this book is making assholes crazy and therefore must be really good (or really filthy, which when you're 12 is the same thing). instead i was deeply, deeply, deeply confused, and didn't really clear that up until i was 18 or 19.

I'd hate to disappoint you, Mr. Hexler, but Rushdie really sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Sergei here. His writing is so heavy-handed that it's just tiresome, and Satanic Verses really loses any of its focus about a hundred pages in.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd hate to disappoint you, Mr. Hexler, but Rushdie really sucks.

dude have you read midnight's children?

for reals.

REALS.

no i mean i like the guy a lot and he's fun to read and i dig on his themes despite not being very diasporic myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 18 of 23

Jump to: