The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The E3 (or Whatever It's Called) 2007 Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, they were still working on this?
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
is Everyday Shooter going to be a PSN exclusive? I'm, uh, starting to feel the PS3.

supposedly not? jonathan mak would probably accuse himself of selling out.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Lestrade, The director for SH5 will be the director from SH1, and Siren 1&2. Honestly, the engine has never been that great for SH games, the only problem is that it may not look as good as previous SH games have. Either way, if the right people are on the project in the right places, the people developing the engine/game aren't the most important.

Also SH5's main protagonist is a war vet: Jacob's Ladder's main protagonist is a war vet. SH1's main inspiration is Jacob's Ladder: SH1's director is SH5's director. Don't get too down about the US dev team, there's still hope. Also, for a bit I thought that the icon for SH5 was the same that the prisoner drew on the wall in SH2, but we looked up a texture rip of it, and it's not the same unfortunatly.

Everyday Shooter = amazing. One reason I'm glad for my PS3 (plus the whole hardware emulation thing). The best part is that Everyday Shooter was demoed at IGF using a 360 controller hooked up to a PC.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Wes, please don't ever use the phrase "actual gamers". What you really mean is "me". Thanks.

Ha! Well in any case, you knew what I meant. Still, I'll play devil's advocate for a bit.

There is a huge difference between most people who buy Wiis (most meaning above 50%, but not necessarily much more than that) and everyone who's ever been to this website. My sister's got a Wii. Her and her kids play Wii Sports every once in a while and Raving Rabbids here and there so I bought them Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros for the virtual console and put Smash Bros and Donkey Konga in their Wii controller basket. Guess what? They STILL haven't tried any of them and they've been given to them for nothing!

Despite this, I have no doubt that they'll buy Wii Fit the moment it comes out and play a whole lot of it. It's made for them, and even if a lot of the people on this site buy it and enjoy it too, that doesn't make those other people gamers, it makes them people who buy popular Christmas toys. To clarify, my mom (who plays Solitare and Backgammon on her computer for two hours a night) is actually a gamer, but most of the people who will buy Wii Fit are not.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we just never use the term "gamer" again, please?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
can we just never use the term "gamer" again, please?

magazine am cry

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how awesome would it be if we just called ourselves "the quarter"? i posit that it might be pretty awesome.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Player's Quarter

nahhh, we're not that kind of man!

(the quarter does have a ring to it though, unfortunatly it sounds more like a club then)

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Hey, Lestrade, The director for SH5 will be the director from SH1, and Siren 1&2. Honestly, the engine has never been that great for SH games, the only problem is that it may not look as good as previous SH games have. Either way, if the right people are on the project in the right places, the people developing the engine/game aren't the most important.

Also SH5's main protagonist is a war vet: Jacob's Ladder's main protagonist is a war vet. SH1's main inspiration is Jacob's Ladder: SH1's director is SH5's director. Don't get too down about the US dev team, there's still hope. Also, for a bit I thought that the icon for SH5 was the same that the prisoner drew on the wall in SH2, but we looked up a texture rip of it, and it's not the same unfortunatly.

Damn you and your uplifting logic!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how awesome would it be if we just called ourselves "the quarter"? i posit that it might be pretty awesome.

shaper can tell you how long i've been saying that.

(hint: a long time)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been thinking more about the PS3 Press Conference and I think the thing I liked about it was the lack of sequels and established franchises. Sure, most people bought PS3s because of the Playstation brand name, but Sony's not relying on established brands to sell their games. The same cannot be said for either Microsoft or Nintendo, and in many ways Nintendo's the worst offender.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
So I've been thinking more about the PS3 Press Conference and I think the thing I liked about it was the lack of sequels and established franchises.

Ummm, Killzone 2 was their "big ending"

SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
So I've been thinking more about the PS3 Press Conference and I think the thing I liked about it was the lack of sequels and established franchises.

Ummm, Killzone 2 was their "big ending"

What were the original exclusives that Nintendo and Microsoft showed again? I guess I didn't mean "lack," but relatively it may as well have been. Also: Killzone 2 is barely a sequel.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wii FIt seemed pretty original and not a sequel.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it's not designed for serious manly man gamers like wes i mean that's obvious c'mon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Also: Killzone 2 is barely a sequel.

Buh?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here we have a prime example of the phenomenon i have taken to calling the "wesism".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by Golden Axe. Aside from being really happy there's the option to turn smoothing off, the controls feel so much more responsive than on the PS2 Genesis collection version. A better experience overall, I'm finding.

Last edited by ryan on Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hidden subtext in trailer reveals metal gear solid 4 as ps3 exclusive. 5000% true.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you guys looking at? It seems like there's some kind of crazy Nintendo fanboy subtext going on here that I totally don't get. Are you guys seeing something that I'm not? From what I can see, these are the original titles:

Nintendo - Wii Fit

Microsoft - Mass Effect, Too Human, Lost Odyssey, and Bioshock (sort of) (This doesn't count download-only games like Space Giraffe)

Sony - Folk's Soul, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Infamous, and Eye of Judgement (This doesn't count download-only games like Echochrome, Pixel Junk, and Everyday Shooter.)

Am I off base in this assessment? Is Nintendo showing something that I overlooked? Yeah, The Killzone comment is a definate Wesism, but it's based on the fact that the new one looks like such a big departure from Killzone 1. Then again, the same could be said about Mario Galaxy, so we'll leave both of these out.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, outside of Infamous all of those games had been shown (or already released in Japan). So they're not really announcing anything. They seem to have just as much original IP as MS, if not less total. The thing is not that I'm having some kind of favoritism towards another company: they all sucked pretty bad.

ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone through the press releases a few times and can't find any mention of upcoming PS Network stuff regarding PS One titles. There are a handful of games that I wouldn't mind buying, and the $6 price tag is just right for me, so I was hoping to hear a bit more of that. A lot of the press releases just restarted portions of others, hopefully I just glossed it over. Was there any word on this?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
hidden subtext in trailer reveals metal gear solid 4 as ps3 exclusive. 5000% true.

I just heard about this on a 1up podcast. Hilarious! Get off the internet, 'turds!

Hey Wes, I think the major difference is simple subjectivity. You are factually quite correct, especially in regards to the fact that Sony, technically, had the most original games on display.

But, as an example, the only game you mention that interests me personally in Sony's camp is Little Big Planet. Wii Fit is more exciting to me than anything else they showed. And Shaper is right; all the MS stuff is old news, so to a lot of us they didn't even have any announcements.

The whole show, while containing some interesting developments, certainly lacked the big-bag ZOMG moments of E3s past. This is probably more indicative of where each company is right now in terms of all their products and schedules than anything else, I think.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lame and far-fetched as that is, I do think that's the sort of thing Hideo kojima would do. I'm not convinced it isn't real!

also, Super Smash bros. has an Animal Crossing Stage!!

'The Simpsons Game' has a collection sub-quest throughout the game where you collect videogame cliches. So during the boss fight when you jump into the giant robotic Lard Lad's ass-hatch, you collect cliche no.5: 'obvious weakness'. This is brilliant. I wonder if the last one will be 'pointless collection sub-quest'.

Somehow I'm finding things to be excited about this E3!
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to their website, the Simpsons Game is coming out on every platform ever!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird!

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they're making all the jokes about games that no-one's thought to make yet! Games are pretty much virgin territory for their kind of satire.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Hey Wes, I think the major difference is simple subjectivity. You are factually quite correct, especially in regards to the fact that Sony, technically, had the most original games on display.

But, as an example, the only game you mention that interests me personally in Sony's camp is Little Big Planet. Wii Fit is more exciting to me than anything else they showed. And Shaper is right; all the MS stuff is old news, so to a lot of us they didn't even have any announcements.

Technically MS had two new games announced: Scene It! and Viva Pinata Mini Game Party. But since both of these are casual games that aren't by Nintendo, nobody noticed.

And I agree with you on the subjectivity thing, but I also think the fact that everyone's so ho hum about these original titles is a huge indicator of the hypocrisy in our community. We say that sequels and licensed games are what's causing the industry to stagnate, but when someone does something about it we don't give a shit because we don't already have anything invested in it. What if one of these games is actually the next Ico or GTA? We won't know until we play it, and we won't play it because we don't know. How many of you paid full price for Ico? How about its sequel, Shadow of the Colossus? I rest my case.

The reason every game Square Enix is showing at this E3 has "Final Fantasy" in the title can be summed up the same way. Call something Crystal Chronicles and nobody gives a shit. Call something "Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles" and you've got yourself "The return of the Final Fantasy series to Nintendo consoles!" It's bullshit, but it's the way things are.

Wii Fit is very exciting, but I swear when I was watching the conference I kept thinking "oh man, here comes Wii Sports 2," and when they announced Wii Fit, I was like, "hey, I was actually sort of right. This takes the reason Wii Sports was popular and does it again!" It's a sequel to the ideas found in Wii sports, and I don't think anyone would take it seriously at all had Wii Sports not popularized those ideas just last year. Actually, I'm sure of it because the same game was released sans controller in 2004 (Yourself Fitness) and nobody cared at all.

I'm just bitter because I usually go to E3 and spend the whole time wading through the sequels trying to find something new and different. The only one who came even close to providing that was Sony, and everybody seems indifferent because the system costs too much and Sony's full of idiots. Looking at how the market responds to original games, it's obvious that it takes an idiot to release them. I'm glad the industry's still got some idiots left!

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
aerisdead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
'The Simpsons Game' has a collection sub-quest throughout the game where you collect videogame cliches. So during the boss fight when you jump into the giant robotic Lard Lad's ass-hatch, you collect cliche no.5: 'obvious weakness'. This is brilliant. I wonder if the last one will be 'pointless collection sub-quest'.

Surely that should be the first one you collect?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes;

Microsoft in general has had more Brand New IPs released on the Xbox than Sony even has lined up. There's possibly more on XBLA alone than on the PSN and PS3 combined. One of the stats from that interview with the Sony Guy on that CNN Network crap was a stat that said: "100 games on the PS3, 15 exclusive." While I don’t know off hand, I’m going to guess that of the 15 exclusive 90% are either sequels or derivative (Resistance= Call of Duty + Fifth Element). Of the entire current library flOw is the most interesting, and it’s not even that fantastic at that.

Outside of that you have a bunch of “news” about games that have been sitting on the shelf since before the PS3’s launch, or were announced months ago. Little Big Planet is still their most compelling game in their entire line up, with a few curiosities which are getting lukewarm impressions (Lair).

Honestly, of the entire show so far, Everyday Shooter is the best news coming out of the show. Everything else is like getting a pat on the back for something you already got recognition for previously. It’s just filler.

Wii Fit bores the crap out of me and is a little despairing honestly. Of the “big three” none of them had anything that was worth holding an entire press conference for.

EDIT: Basically, all I'm saying is that Sony is just as bad as anyone else is.

ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Actually, I'm sure of it because the same game was released sans controller in 2004 (Yourself Fitness) and nobody cared at all.

Your MOM cared.

Also AUGH:

If it's any consolation, I'm way, way more excited by the original download-only stuff than anything else. A $5 copy of Space Giraffe is going to sell me a $400 Xbox 360. Personally, I don't think sequels and licenses are what causes industry stagnation, but rather this unfathomable fixation on epic fantasy bullshit. All I want is a game set in a world not designed by someone who doodled dragons in his notebook in high school.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
ll I want is a game set in a world not designed by someone who doodled dragons in his notebook in high school.

I doodled Mortal Kombat!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Get off the internet, 'turds!

what is "turds" short for?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

returds?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought.

I think Wii Fit is a bloody good idea, as a business move. I imagine in Japan it'll become the Wii's equivalent to Brain Training (i.e. a system-selling phenomenon). It remains to be seen if it'll be all that popular in the rest of the world, though.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
returds?

like if someone ingests their excretia and poops it out again?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metroid Prime 3 Developer "Walkthrough"

Looks good! Though it makes me want a 2.5D Metroid game in that same style.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Six wrote:
returds?

like if someone ingests their excretia and poops it out again?

Rabbits do that! Their digestive system is inadequate for the food they eat, so they have to digest everything twice.

'Coprophagy of cecotropes is an essential part of the rabbit's breakfast of champions. A cecotrope is a specialized product of a rabbit's digestive system. Often called "night stools" the soft pellets are vital to your rabbit's nutrition and digestive health.'

I couldn't find a diagram :(
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
How many of you paid full price for Ico? How about its sequel, Shadow of the Colossus? I rest my case.

I bought SotC the day it came out, and I paid MORE than retail price for ICO when I finally got a PS2 (It was a bit of a collectors item, especially the PAL edition with the extra stuff and art cards and stuff).

I wish Retro would stop making Metroid games and do something original. I'm glad they are milking the Prime series, though, and not the real series.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I paid MORE than retail price for ICO when I finally got a PS2 (It was a bit of a collectors item, especially the PAL edition with the extra stuff and art cards and stuff).

So you paid extra money that didn't go toward anyone that had anything to do with the game? That's not making them feel the need to make more! The point stands!

-Wes
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if it was actually still available in stores, I'd buy it ok, gosh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:

metroid looks more and more like zelda with each iteration.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

That's great. It's a bit more tasteful than the diagram I saw in the book I read, which had the rabbit improbably curled in a ball happily gobbling its shit straight out of its own arse. He was the happiest looking rabbit I've ever seen. This is gold for Furry shit fetishists who draw comics. Or if your'e making the next Starfox game. 'Try a somersault! I'm going to, so this shit I've just done in the cockpit will rise into the air and then plop into my mouth!'

dessgeega wrote:
Tim wrote:

metroid looks more and more like zelda with each iteration.

They're still doing that confoundingly retarded thing of creating alien worlds which have machinery in them only Samus can operate. Yeah, they've got a cannon which is aimed at their own buildings, with a backplate to catch the cannonballs on the other side. What the fuck is this, Bowser's castle?

I guess it made sense in the Chozo worlds since Samus's suit was meant to be handed down to her from the Chozo, but on the Space Pirates' ship for example it just seemed fucking stupid. 'Insert metal sphere to open door.' Why?

I'm glad to see they've toned down Samus' Spiderman stances in the cutscenes since Prime, though. Previously you got the impression they didn't have a very good understanding of the character. So that's something.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

So like the PS2/Xbox Raving Rabbids port, then?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
They're still doing that confoundingly retarded thing of creating alien worlds which have machinery in them only Samus can operate. Yeah, they've got a cannon which is aimed at their own buildings, with a backplate to catch the cannonballs on the other side. What the fuck is this, Bowser's castle?

i loved that the retro studios staffer who was playing the game seemed to realize just how ridiculous it was too.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame the game won't have that degree of self-awareness.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know what I meant by "'turd" either, but I'm glad it has led to both laughter and learning.

My wife is playing TokiMemo: Girls' Side for DS right now and it's kind of disturbing.

I was a bit disappointed to learn earlier today that MP3 is going to use Hunters-style locations. Man, that really bugs me. It looks more like a combat game set in a (very) vague Metroid style now, as opposed to an actual Metroid game. I like the Wiimote-enabled ball jump though.

Man, who else here wants to see a beautiful 2D Wii Metroid?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who noticed that Samus and Ridley have a Gandalf and Balrog fight at the end of the trailer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: