The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video Games that play like Comic Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
table_and_chair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Video Games that play like Comic Books Reply with quote

Other than Comix Zone. But that would be valid. I've just begun Vagrant Story and really love the comic book-style cut scenes, and it leads me to wonder what other games adopt this look. Hotel Dusk immediately springs to mind, as well as playing sorta like one would imagine an interactive comic book. On a related note, Masq, the game this article over at 4cr talks about probably helped.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but you hate comics!

masq would be a stronger game if the interesting decisions weren't restricted to the last chapter. replaying it gets boring fast because the game just doesn't branch very far until it's nearly over. it definitely has a pulp sensibility, though.

i'm going to nominate attack of the yeti robot zombies.

and maybe doom.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in a little wading through the mud, you're likely to find a few titles of interest in the "comics" sub-genre at Mobygames. Most of it is just stuff based on comics licenses, but there's the rare original title like Comix Zone, and some of the earlier (mostly pre-3D) license-based games actually tried pretty hard to emulate reading a comic book. Of course, that probably won't turn up any games like Vagrant Story, but that's kind of a special case.

Unfortunately, I'm drawing a blank on titles I personally know of that have used this style....instead, what comes to mind is stuff like Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, where the comic panels are a gameplay mechanic that is seperate in presentation from the main gameplay. I'm also reminded of Black Jack DS, which is a lot closer to a sound/visual novel with minigames than, uh, a "real" game. (that said, I would slobber all over a US release just because of the sheer Tezuka fanservice)

(and I guess the cutscenes of Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents are kind of along the same lines?)
table_and_chair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Basically, I've realized that I am easy to please. Reply with quote

Jump Superstars reminds me: Viewtiful Joe. So that's why I was so excited. Fuck yeah Ouendan, good call. Pretty much any of those early Matsuura games like Um Jammer Lammy if only for the flat drawings moving in 3-Dimensional space, but I`m pretty sure they also used word bubbles, too. Though that raises the point: video games that play like record albums. That doom comic is very Evil Dead, suspiciously so!
Basically, I've realized that I am easy to please. Also basically, Dan Clowes the video game. Or even Acme Novelty Library. Either would be nice. We are talking Convergence.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Code was a bit like a comic book. For six-year-old girls!

table_and_chair wrote:
Basically, I've realized that I am easy to please. Also basically, Dan Clowes the video game. Or even Acme Novelty Library. Either would be nice. We are talking Convergence.

Pantheon books once converted Chris Ware's diagrammatic history of the Corrigan family that was on the inside of the Jimmy Corrigan dust jacket into a sort of choose-your-own adventure flash thing, but I can't seem to find it online any more.
table_and_chair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six year old girls are cool like The Fonz.

Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XIII?

Too obvious?
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberMage was a bit comic book. A bit obscure these days even more than it was back in the day so there might only be a few people here who have heard about it let alone played it.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"CYBERMAGE SHALL RULE THE EARTH!" It had the best voice acting ever.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume we're not just talking about talk bubbles?

Anyways, Odin Sphere reminded me of comic books during it's story. Not only because of the talk bubbles rather than subtitles, but also the way the characters moved. Odd thought.

Anyways, the Dynamite Deka (Die Hard Arcade) games have very comic book action sections (like sliding under doors by pressing the button at the right time).

Huh... Dragon's Lair?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Redeye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I assume we're not just talking about talk bubbles?

Floating text in Fallout?

Plus the comic book theme in some loading and intro screens.

Mebbe stretching a bit.
table_and_chair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely see it in fallout, they use that little boy as a sort of retro futuristic icon or whatever, and all of that, how that affects you, is tied up in paper publishing and the charm of an out-dated medium. Maybe it has a "found-object" quality? Please forgive me, I`m an art student. But an emphasis on the "object". I guess what I really like is the idea of a game that uses the "look" of a comic book as the sense of style. This could even be stretched to story book, I imagine. Which opens up a myriad of connections, most precient to my mind being something like Yoshi's Story. Nevertheless, I see no real closure to this discussion. Just putting it out there.
Redeye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

table_and_chair wrote:
I can definitely see it in fallout, they use that little boy as a sort of retro futuristic icon or whatever, and all of that, how that affects you, is tied up in paper publishing and the charm of an out-dated medium...

That little boy.

It's supposed to be Vault Boy, technically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: