The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edge's top 100 games list
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Edge's top 100 games list Reply with quote

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6231&Itemid=2

I know getting annoyed at these lists is easy and probably tiresome, but let's use this as an opportunity to slay a few sacred cows. First up, number two in their list is is Resident Evil 4. People need to get the fuck on over Resident Evil 4. Yeah, the opening few stages are great, but beyond that it doesn't deliver on any of the excitement it promises. As soon as that shopkeeper turns up, the clever, considered, utterly fresh and heart-poundingly exciting game you thought you were playing dies and you just stumble from setpiece to setpiece like Rambo. What is this, Duke Nukem Forever? By the end they may as well just call thegame Tom Clancy's Special Ed Oilrig (guest stars: Slipknot and The Legion of Doom) because that's what it basically is.

I would have thought the best games of all time are perfectly formed, with nothing out of place, like the best novels or pop songs or films. So let's get rid of half of the junk in that list:

Super Mario World: This shit is ill-concieved. 100 coins = 1up, so half of the little bits of gamplay 'business' involve coin collecting, but: you don't need to collect the coins. There are so many ways to get extra lives that the coins are effectively worthless. And incidentally there's so many coins around, you almost can't be bothered to pick them up. One more will come along. You didn't have to work to find that shit. You can save the game anyway, so there's really not much use for the 99 extra lives you'll have accumulated by level 5.

Ok so it was a learning process then- they were just learning that the exploring the world could be more important than the challenge, but gee, shit or get off the pot. It's a game that doesn't know what it wants to be. Discard. Super Mario Bros. 3 knew exactly what it came to do, however. Replace.

Super Metroid:

Let's not pretend the Metroid games ever achieved what they set out to do. It's incredibly rare that I feel a sense of wonder or discovery when I'm playing those games. Maybe when I first discovered those space koalas in Super Metroid? Mostly it's just, whee, another missile pack. A new weapon that lets me get to a new area. Key, lock, bing, bong, repeat. It's a very gamey game, that doesn't need to be. People who're really into Metroid just talk about it in terms of tiles and sequence breaking and all this crap: if that's all it boils down to I'm not interested. I want wonder and excitement and adventure and mystery (Seiklus made an ok go of this, but ruined it with the dumb collecting shit).

I want to be thrown into an alien world and have to wonder how all the pieces fit together. In Metroid Zero Mission there's are sections where you'll find Samus is crawling with lots of lttle parasites. You can shake them off, but besides that they seem to do nothing. Until! You discover by chance that they actually eat a certain type of plant, and you've seen that same plant elsewhere blocking certain passages in the underground labyrinth. You take them to the blocked passages, and you can guess the rest. It's brilliant. That's what Metroid games should be all the way through. Elegant, beautiful and alchemical solutions to problems. I want to ban game makers from putting fucking guns in their games for like 5 years so they just have to come up with clever shit like that.

I suppose I'm mostly frustrated with how underdeveloped the medium of games still is. And the thing that frustrates me the most about that is how most gamers seem to like things the way they are now- the staff of Edge magazine seem to, and they're not exactly GameFAQS pond scum, so this makes me feel like The Bony King of Nowhere, feel free to call me a jerk Sad
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list is pretty dubious.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames, I would just like to state for the record that even though I get lots of 1-Ups in Super Mario World, I also die enough to actually need to continue, at the same place, multiple times, until I finally just give up in frustration. I think this is probably because I am bad at jumping? Really I don't think I like Mario games very much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey we need a cover feature for this issue but all of our writers are tapped out okay how about a top 100 games list havn't done that in a while alright make sure there's a mario and a zelda in the top ten ocarina maybe and uh put yoshi's island in there somewhere sure thing chief i'll have it on your desk by two

so yeah, we here all know better than to suppose that all videogames can be graded and ordered on the same arbitrary scale, but slaying sacred cows is usually worth doing (unless you are a sacred cow with a zest for life).

geometry wars is basically unplayable. the firing stick is too stodgy to aim where you want to be shooting in tight situations, and after five minutes the screen becomes indecipherable because the development team kept piling on layers and layers of visual effects to compensate for the fact that it's a vector game on a console designed for high-definition tvs. people seem to praise it because it's a throwback to arcade game design but ignore the fact that it's impossible to play beyond a few minutes.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
hey we need a cover feature for this issue but all of our writers are tapped out okay how about a top 100 games list havn't done that in a while alright make sure there's a mario and a zelda in the top ten ocarina maybe and uh put yoshi's island in there somewhere sure thing chief i'll have it on your desk by two

I actually think this is an entire issue dedicated to the feature? they've been doing this lots lately.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's interesting that they chose R-Type Final over R-Type or R-Type Delta. I love all three, but Final takes third place in the series for me. Same with the Mario games in the top ten, I guess. I think 1 and 3 are easily the best in that series. World was fun but its appeal didn't last for me, and I didn't like 64 much at all, innovative as it may have been.

Also, I'm once again reminded of how much I would have liked to help promote Okami, if only I hadn't gradually come to despise the game as I went along, due to the writing.

dessgeega wrote:
geometry wars is basically unplayable.

I like Echoes, which is kind of similar.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we're slaying sacred cows, Ocarina of Time is just not that fucking good. Italicised for emphasis. I remember the first time I played the game at its release, and I just couldn't quite get why everyone was so excited. Years later when I got a N64 of my own, I sat down with the game fully expecting to be as blown away as every "Top XX Games of All Ever" list I've ever read said I should. Again, I was completely nonplussed. Aside from Link's incessant noises which drive me up the wall, I can't quite put my finger on one particular irritating factor. It's just that the game itself is startlingly bland. It's solid, sure, and did a lot to change the nature of 3D platformers at the time, but a decent engine doesn't mean the game itself is fun. The game just doesn't make me want to play through the end. I don't care about saving Zelda because I can't get over how dorky the new Ganon looks. After spending an hour in the fire dungeon backtracking and trying to find a key I overlooked so I can open up a door to a new area so I can engage the clever machinery to make the area I saw at the start of the dungeon accessable... it's just too much fucking work with no worthwhile payoff. I'll be charitable and call it a decent game, but it shouldn't be at the top of any list.

I do agree with Harveyjames re: the Metroid series. Metroid, Super Metroid, and Metroid II accomplished nothing more than leaving me hopelessly lost and irritated. I much prefer the way Metroids Fusion, Zero Mission, and Prime handled the exploration: they gave you a destination on the map and made you find your own way. The secret areas felt so much more rewarding because you knew they were secret because they weren't on the map; the first three games you had no idea if you were in a room you were supposed to be in because you were so damn lost. The argument that the first titles in the series were all about the lonely exploration always just seemed really hollow and disingenuous to me. Metroid Prime, now that I can see--those are some damn beautiful and strange environments to get lost in. But finding joy in wending my way through identical tilesets that might only change color or music? Bullshit.

There are just some freaking weird entries in that list, too. I mean, for example I love Puyo Puyo Fever, but I'm not sure I'd ever place it at number 48.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part of Resident Evil 4 is the Island. So shoot me. Any time I find myself screaming "FUCK YES!" at the screen in excitement is a good time. Not to mention the fact that the game upped the self-referencing at that point, which I enjoyed. The only issue of RE4's final act is that it's just too easy.

I re-evaluated Ocarina of Time for myself a couple years ago and discovered that yeah, it's not that good. At all. I've owned Twilight Princess for months and haven't touched it. I'll never understand why Ocarina is so praised; it's boring. It holds my hand. Link shrieks at me. It's lame. Super Mario 64, one of my personal favorites, managed to do more to push 3D gaming and holds up a hell of a lot better, to boot. Not to mention that it's actually a lot of fun.

I find the original Metroid unplayable. Those who brought up Zero Mission's structure (the parasites, etc.)--you're onto something. Metroid shouldn't be about sequence-breaking: fuck that shit. I've never understood why people have turned the series into a bunch of time-attacks and game-breaking techniques. Metroid should be about accidental discoveries, about the player using their utilities to their advantage. Unfortunately, the games have only given us glimpses of this direction. (Sidenote: I still love Super Metroid anyway).
table_and_chair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about Ocarina: It was very good at the time. When i walked up to the church, and it vaguely looked like something from Final Fantasy 7, in my impressionable youth I remember thinking "this is nintendo's response to FFVII" and it was such a better game. So, things like that. Context.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:

I do agree with Harveyjames re: the Metroid series. Metroid, Super Metroid, and Metroid II accomplished nothing more than leaving me hopelessly lost and irritated. I much prefer the way Metroids Fusion, Zero Mission, and Prime handled the exploration: they gave you a destination on the map and made you find your own way. The secret areas felt so much more rewarding because you knew they were secret because they weren't on the map; the first three games you had no idea if you were in a room you were supposed to be in because you were so damn lost. The argument that the first titles in the series were all about the lonely exploration always just seemed really hollow and disingenuous to me.

OH MAN THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT AT ALL

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Metroid Prime, now that I can see--those are some damn beautiful and strange environments to get lost in. But finding joy in wending my way through identical tilesets that might only change color or music? Bullshit

Ok yeah, I see what you're saying. In fact one of the best experiences I ever had with a Metroid game was when I used to take drugs, and I was playing Metroid Prime thinking it was the most beautiful game I'd ever played; I was tumbling through glittering ice cavern after glittering ice cavern, not knowing where I was going, not even caring that I'd probably never find my way back to where I was originally going. So much of the game seemed to be open to me to explore and yet it would take so long to make sense of it. Just as I thought I'd got out of one chasm I'd fall down another one, getting ever deeper into the labyrinth.

Then I realised I was just climbing our of and falling into the same hole over and over again. Don't do drugs, kids.

Nah, I thought Metroid II managed to be pretty beautiful- It gives you a lot of room to use your imagination. (I thought that about Pokemon Red, too, playing a ROM months before before Pokemania hit the UK - monochrome game boy games do that to me.) It's just the mechanics of the Metroid games I have a problem with. I'm not even sure there needs to be enemies in them. Metroid II is cool with its hunting and killing the Omega Metroids thing, but I really don't think we need Octoroks and Bloopers and every room. Seiklus was on the right track with the stuff like the encounter with the big mother eagle (if I'm remembering that correctly). You should feel like you're encountering strange creatures instead of constantly having to cut a swarth through the bloody things. The challenge should come from exploration, not combat.

elvis.shrugged wrote:
My favorite part of Resident Evil 4 is the Island. So shoot me.

bang

elvis.shrugged wrote:
Metroid shouldn't be about sequence-breaking: fuck that shit. I've never understood why people have turned the series into a bunch of time-attacks and game-breaking techniques.

Yeah. I think it's because the games don't really deliver on what you want to like them for, so people just find their own ways of enjoying the game. Sort of misdirected creativity, in a way.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while we're slaying sacred cows, the mode-7 stages of axelay have awful hit detection and look hideous despite being super graphics-wanky.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oblivion's spot on this list belongs to Morrowind.

Also, Resident Evil 4 is worthy of a Top 3 ranking for including The Mercenaries.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since we're in the sacred cows thread:

i was not that impressed by shadow of the colossus. the presentation was great. the graphics were beautiful. the animation sublime. but the puzzle aspects of the game, while laddering up (is that even a term?) from each encounter started to feel kinda generic after a while. perhaps i am a little too fogeyish to appreciate the "lonely game" aspects, however.

i do applaud any reach towards ambiguity with regards to games, however. it makes up for a lot. (maybe not enough to finish playing, but at least to applaud their efforts. and hell i bought the thing at nearly full retail so bravo, etc.)

Quote:
Then I realised I was just climbing our of and falling into the same hole over and over again. Don't do drugs, kids.

the right drugs are too sublime to waste on games.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, am I crazy for thinking that 90% of these actually belong on this list even if it’s way out of order? I mean, yeah, it does point out how poor the state of the medium really is, and there are some over rated and over/under ranked items, but nothings perfect. It’s a fair share better than most lists of it’s sort.

Also, I’ve always tossed around the idea of doing a “Great Games” series much like how Ebert does his “Great Movies.” The understanding of the Great Movies books/essays is that the films shouldn’t be ranked, but they’re all just a step above others and are all top teir films.

elvis.shrugged wrote:
I find the original Metroid unplayable. .... Metroid shouldn't be about sequence-breaking: fuck that shit. I've never understood why people have turned the series into a bunch of time-attacks and game-breaking techniques. Metroid should be about accidental discoveries, about the player using their utilities to their advantage.

Honestly, exploration and seemingly accidental discoveries is what I feel the first Metroid does better than any other game in 2D lineage. While it didn’t age so well in play mechanics, it’s far from unplayable (it’s just a bit stiff). Either way, due to the lack of map I feel the game forces exploration to be it’s key point. I remember building all kinds of maps for the game as a kid and really exploring everything because there were no maps. Not that this experience sounds like fun to do today, but exploration was an emphasis in the first game whether it holds up well or not.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
since we're in the sacred cows thread:

i was not that impressed by shadow of the colossus. the presentation was great. the graphics were beautiful. the animation sublime. but the puzzle aspects of the game, while laddering up (is that even a term?) from each encounter started to feel kinda generic after a while. perhaps i am a little too fogeyish to appreciate the "lonely game" aspects, however.

Yeah, you should ignore all that 'Lonely Game' faggotiness. I think that's a term people use because they're unable to articulate what it is they really like about these games. It's kind of a new thing and the magazines haven't invented a cliche for it yet.

dhex wrote:
i do applaud any reach towards ambiguity with regards to games, however. it makes up for a lot. (maybe not enough to finish playing, but at least to applaud their efforts. and hell i bought the thing at nearly full retail so bravo, etc

I like it because it's like a work of modern art- it's a space designed to make you feel certain emotions as you pass through it.* This is the true potential of videogames as a medium being realised before your eyes!

dhex wrote:
the right drugs are too sublime to waste on games.

Amen to that.

*I'll explain that statement if anyone wants me to, although I've probably said a billion times before on this forum anyway and you're probably sick of hearing it
not a zombie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know every top whatever list is subjective and blahblahblah, but it's dissapointing to see that Card Fighter's Clash was absent from the list, given that the list at least looked like it delved deeper into the trough of cult games.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of just happy that Silent Hill 2 and Killer 7 are on the list because they are easily the best games of the "last" gen. I mean, they may not play the best, but they sure try their hardest at saying something rather than just "kill everything." Anyways, Half-Life 2 was near the perfect spot on that list.

EDIT: Am I crazy, or is that screen shot for Puzzle Bobble not a Puzzle Bobble screen?

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt, stop being a list apologist! you're going to end up like kiken, posting top XX lists on your livejournal and complaining about how the staff of nintendo power could have possibly overlooked r-type delta
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess, did you see my edit?

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i don't know what that is. it's definitely not the original puzzle bobble, and it's not any version that i know of either (being devoid of cute taito characters and monsters in bubbles).
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I actually read all the little blurbs for the games. I’m guessing most people didn’t. Perhaps even the editor.

HAHAHAHA! Ok, this is a next-gen issue: Ridge Racers 2: they have a screen cap for RR2, not the PSP game. On top of that... ok, this is the one "pick the best example of the series" pick that baffles me the most.

Also: "Guitar Hero: Created a new genre by combining a rock-out controller and simple gameplay." I'm kind of glad I can blame next-gen for shitty run downs on these. I mean... not to be a prick, but Guitar Freaks was at least 5 years old by this point in time, and on top of that it's not a new genre either way.

I don’t even know what this means: “Virtua Fighter 5: Bang up-to-date arcade fighter from Sega.”

Let’s find the irony: “Metal Gear Solid 2: Hideo Kojima’s highly regarded adventure in which Snake sneaks up and whacks terrorists.”

dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent OP.

Is Tetris too sacred of a cow to defame? When they put Tetris in the top 10, is it representative of all falling-block puzzle games? Does anyone really like the game that much? Are there not several similar games that are much better?

Also, I don't know if these guys have been away from gaming for too long, but Goldeneye 007 sucks now. It has aged terribly. Yeah we all loved it years ago, but take it off the list or give it a courtesy slot closer to 100.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that's part of the problem. there's no context behind this list. are the games being praised for their contributions to game design? are they all being ranked on the same objective scale? is there even a single scale on which all of these games can be measured?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd, but I'm most confused by Vice City's placement instead of GTA3 or San Andreas. It attempted some sort of narrative and refined many of 3's features, but San Andreas went even further in those aspects.

Would it be unreasonable to suggest that the next issue be composed of some sort of reformed version of these top # lists? I know these articles are fairly useless, but it would be interesting to take 3 or 4 writers and have them each form a hierarchy based on their opinions and proper context. Or maybe in the form of a roundtable?

Also:
Quote:
The list was drawn together by thousands of reader votes, games industry insiders and the view from Edge's own editorial team.

It's just a melting pot of "what game do you like the most at the moment?" responses.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
well, that's part of the problem. there's no context behind this list. are the games being praised for their contributions to game design? are they all being ranked on the same objective scale? is there even a single scale on which all of these games can be measured?

Yeah, it's the sort of list that kid who told me Shadow of The Colossus was 'awe-inspiring' and 'lonely' would make (i.e. someone whose mind is clogged with the sediment of years of recieved opinion and videogame magazine cliches).

dmauro wrote:
]Also, I don't know if these guys have been away from gaming for too long, but Goldeneye 007 sucks now. It has aged terribly. Yeah we all loved it years ago, but take it off the list or give it a courtesy slot closer to 100.

Seconded. It took a long time for Halo to come along and do Goldeneye's multiplayer better than Goldeneye did, but it happened and now it seems baffling that we ever put up with it. Likewise I loved playing the mission mode at the time, but the bad points really eclipse the good now.

I do love the way it's structured though- no saving inside of a mission, each mission is a self-contained little adventure in itself, extras are rewarded for being quick / completing missions on high difficulty. It really made you want to play each level again and again, which can only be a good thing.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
and I was playing Metroid Prime thinking it was the most beautiful game I'd ever played; I was tumbling through glittering ice cavern after glittering ice cavern, not knowing where I was going, not even caring that I'd probably never find my way back to where I was originally going.

I don't really believe this. It sounds like you just romanticized a memory.

Also:

Harveyjames wrote:
faggotiness

I get the impression that you're using the term at worst flippantly and at best ironically, but it still really puts a bad taste in my mouth to read. I mean, I agree that the whole "lonely games" movement is ludicrous, but can you think of a less offensive way to say it?

I don't really have any sacred cows to slay. I don't think it matters one way or the other. I like the thread of this conversation that deals with the reasons and mindsets and merits behind putting together a list like this. We should talk more about that aspect?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacred cow to slay: Yoshi's Island. At least their description of it as a "platformer par excellence." Yoshi's Island is a highly enjoyable game, but it's far too floaty and imprecise to qualify as a good platformer. There's something else to it, but the platforming? Ugh.

And yeah, Ocarina of time isn't too hot. It's really empty and barren and too large for its boots. Majora's Mask is a much better game, through and through.

Anyway. Genre-specific lists never do any better, for the same reason as we've mentioned: the rankers mix up any number of variables and just try to pick their favorites. But that doesn't tell us anything, and the crappy little descriptions by the pictures of each games don't tell us anything either. They think that because it's such a long list, nobody wants to read through an essay about each game, but that's the only thing that could make it remotely interesting.

Also The Godfather isn't the best movie of all time and GameFAQs tournaments are horrible. Blah dee blah.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
and I was playing Metroid Prime thinking it was the most beautiful game I'd ever played; I was tumbling through glittering ice cavern after glittering ice cavern, not knowing where I was going, not even caring that I'd probably never find my way back to where I was originally going.

I don't really believe this. It sounds like you just romanticized a memory.

No, I was really, really stoned, as mentioned. That's what drugs do. Like I said, the game wasn't really that good, I was just climbing out of and falling into the same hole over and over. To quote the Ghetto Boyz, "My mind was playing tricks on me"

helicopterp wrote:

Also:

Harveyjames wrote:
faggotiness

I get the impression that you're using the term at worst flippantly and at best ironically, but it still really puts a bad taste in my mouth to read. I mean, I agree that the whole "lonely games" movement is ludicrous, but can you think of a less offensive way to say it?

Not really. I hate faggots!

EDIT: That's a joke

Last edited by Harveyjames on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

dmauro wrote:
]Also, I don't know if these guys have been away from gaming for too long, but Goldeneye 007 sucks now. It has aged terribly. Yeah we all loved it years ago, but take it off the list or give it a courtesy slot closer to 100.

Seconded. It took a long time for Halo to come along and do Goldeneye's multiplayer better than Goldeneye did, but it happened and now it seems baffling that we ever put up with it. Likewise I loved playing the mission mode at the time, but the bad points really eclipse the good now.

Guys, don't you remember the last time we talked about this? Yeah, it hasn't aged well technically, but it brought about twenty thousand things to the FPS table, and it deserves recognition. Hell, if it was updated to todays standards (with improved graphics, updated AI, a way better engine and what have you) it would still be more fun than 90% of the FPS games that have come out in the past 5 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I do love the way it's structured though- no saving inside of a mission, each mission is a self-contained little adventure in itself, extras are rewarded for being quick / completing missions on high difficulty. It really made you want to play each level again and again, which can only be a good thing.

Good point.

Cycle wrote:
Guys, don't you remember the last time we talked about this? Yeah, it hasn't aged well technically, but it brought about twenty thousand things to the FPS table, and it deserves recognition.

dmauro wrote:
...or give it a courtesy slot closer to 100.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i'm really confused why people like golden eye, but it might be 'cause of the whole console thing. you didn't have any other choices for anything interesting and fps games were for people who bought sports games.

you know, undesirables.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to Goldeneye long after I'd played Solder of Fortune and SiN and Half-Life and Kingpin or whatever the cutting edge of PC FPS's were at the time. Goldeneye really offered a lot of thrills those games didn't. I think the smartness of the level design, and in particular the whole 'no saving' thing were what set it apart.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, we differ.

(sin and soldier of fortune were terrible, btw.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never played a multi-player FPS before Goldeneye and the singleplayer was worthwhile as Harveyjames pointed out. And even if I had played multi-player FPSs, I don't think I would have enjoyed them as much because it would have been over the internet rather than in the same living room. This was the first video game that I ever played with several people at a time actually. Before this it was me and my brother co-oping in Contra, and suddenly we were able to play every man for himself with my cousins at family gatherings. I mean, the game was undeniable at the time.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of curious as to why Perfect Dark is on the same list with Golden Eye. My guess is that they are there for pretty similar reasons.

dmauro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect dark introduced neat gadgets like the sentry gun and the missiles that you could control, which surely counts for something, but like Godeneye, it is unplayable to anyone who has gotten used to 30fps+ and a decent screen resolution.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely forgot about those controllable rockets. Those were neat, but completely useless.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
eh, we differ.

(sin and soldier of fortune were terrible, btw.)

Yeah. Kingpin wasn't that hot, either.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I completely forgot about those controllable rockets. Those were neat, but completely useless.

those were definitely in the first unreal tournament, which i think predated perfect dark? though not by more than a year.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked SiN. It's the closest we've gotten to Duke Nukem Forever! Soldier of Fortune was a piece of crap though. Loved the violence, but it got old. Also the plot goes batshit insane towards the end. As with most videogames... I never played much Kingpin, but I would like to. I remember how controversial it was when it first came out! First game to make liberal use of the word "fuck", I believe.

dhex, goldeneye is awesome you know i love you but shut up ok. I'll post my list later. I've been thinking of turning it into an article, but I gotta finish the marathon one first.

Also, the best thing about those rockets in UT was a mod that let you ride on top of them, Dr Stranglove style, complete with WOOO-HA-HHOOO!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Actually, there were two multiplayer levels, Ravine and....the one with all the walkways over the pit, that didn't have any doors between any of the rooms. The slayer (the name of the guided rocket launcher) was perfect for it. I particularly liked the presentation of it: yellow screen, fish-eye view, and in addition to changing the direction of your rocket, you could speed it up or slow it down, almost to the point of a hover. It was really fun to just have a rocket waiting in a room to explode on someone. Ravine was a really great level with a lot of neat areas.

Actually, a lot of the Perfect Dark multiplayer maps were wonderful because they seemed designed as playgrounds for specific weapons. Using pinball grenades in the two enormous rooms of Grid made for some deliciously hostile environments.

Perfect Dark would absolutely make my personal Top 100 (based on my own unclear arbitrary criteria, of course) and probably a Top 40.

GoldenEye would not.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VC games get tweaks to make them run smoother right? I think they do. In that case, it would be totally motherloving badbutt if Goldeneye was put on, with a smooth framerate and what have you. Too bad that won't happen.

I could give or take Perfect Dark, it was good dumb fun, but a little too dumb.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
liked SiN. It's the closest we've gotten to Duke Nukem Forever!

what?

duke nukem 3d was also terrible. at least triad tried something vaguely fun.

Quote:
dhex, goldeneye is awesome you know i love you but shut up ok.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i used to buy tweed from a kid who did nothing but play goldeneye against his roomate and listen to incubus. that pretty much objectively proves you're wrong here.

console short bus, awaaaaaaaay!

(explanation of american slang: "short bus" is a derogatory term based on the use of small school buses to move special needs students. i.e. "man, goldeneye really rides the short bus.")
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the hell ROTT gets tired after the first couple levels when you realise it's just a pool of ideas without a good game to back it up, unlike duke which is badass and a half. get the fuck out.

i watched a movie called shortbus and it had lots of sex and gay people and this one guy ejaculating in his own mouth which was actually in the opening scene, it was very shocking and i ordered the videostore to ban the film immediately.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Perfect Dark would absolutely make my personal Top 100 (based on my own unclear arbitrary criteria, of course) and probably a Top 40.

i remember being struck, even then, by the extent to which it should not have been on the n64. having to explain the hold-b-to-switch-to-secondary to each of my friends seemed so unintuitive that i was embarrassed each time i got started on it, and timesplitters was so much better not six months later that i felt like i immediately knew who to blame.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i used to buy tweed from a kid who did nothing but play goldeneye against his roomate and listen to incubus. that pretty much objectively proves you're wrong here.

console short bus, awaaaaaaaay!

A good thing does not become bad just because a retard likes it.

Goleneye, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, and Super Smash Brothers put the lie to PC multiplayer for me. The games themselves may have been objectively flawed but I enjoyed my time with them more than I enjoyed Unreal Tournament, Quake, Age of Empires II, Dark Age of Camelot, or Starcraft.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
objectively flawed

No offense to you, but I would like to nominate this phrase for the overused/unhelpful videogame description words thread.

And I agree with you that the multiplayer in those games was way more fun for me.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i used to buy tweed

that pretty much objectively proves you're wrong here.

Man, I didn't even have to type anything new for that.

I enjoyed Duke Nukem 3D and Rise Of The Triad!

I liked the first level of Sin but it's a bloody mess after that. They should have spent their time making 20 levels they made sense rather than 40 levels of BBLBLLBLBLBLBLLBLBLBBLBL. The game is full of half-baked ideas that aren't properly implemented. You can pick up packets of 'evidence'! That do nothing! You can hack into Alexis' bank account and transfer all her money into your account! This also makes no difference to events to come. If the whole game was as polished as the first couple of levels it'd be quite good.
parkbench

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's odd, but I'm most confused by Vice City's placement instead of GTA3 or San Andreas. It attempted some sort of narrative and refined many of 3's features, but San Andreas went even further in those aspects.

Vice City was the perfect balance between the simplicity of the first game and the hulking beast that is San Andreas.

on perfect dark: honestly i liked it better than goldeneye. Goldeneye was classic, but Perfect Dark refined every aspect of the GE formula. Too bad that, as others have said, the game suffered from the under-powered (in that case) n64 hardware.

where's banjo-kazooie?

civ 4 deserves number one as far as i'm concerned.

also: next-gen is kind of a joke.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTA 3D has gone horribly downhill since GTA3.

Don't mind me, I'm contractually obliged to say that in every thread that mentioned GTA mainly because I found Vice City boring (read: flat) and San Andreas limp and unfocused.

March on, ye soldiers of videogames!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: