The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dhex
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creative sentencing, i guess...

wouldn't the better thing be to charge him with assault where applicable and otherwise let the market sort it out?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying: "That's yours."
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, Duh

Mom to screaming child: Shut the fuck up!
Man: Yeah, keep telling your kid 'Shut the fuck up' so he can grow up and steal my car someday.

--6 train

Overheard by: ChickyWang

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The best part is this: no matter how hard you hit them, their hair never moves.

go here

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay I just accidentally went to the first page of your ramblings, where it seems that you don't have a cellphone. Is this stil the case? If so, (1) kudos, and (2) please elaborate.
ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could encourage you to use LinkedIn a little more, I am now talking to GSC Game World (STALKER) about working on some of their upcoming projects. We also picked up another assignment from Sarbakan through a contact via LinkedIn.

It's handy!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will peep linked in later this week when i have some time off. if i make it

Quote:
okay I just accidentally went to the first page of your ramblings, where it seems that you don't have a cellphone. Is this stil the case? If so, (1) kudos, and (2) please elaborate.

1) it's still the case.

2) uh, i don't have a cell phone.

in 2002 this shit became real heated on a long-term mailing list i'm on because i guess people figured well "i can't live without this so surely you can't, ye whose idea of a good time is reading about aztec warfare"

and i wrote a document called "defend your inner monologue" which was mostly attempting to avoid having an argument for why i don't give a fuck about cell phones. but mostly uh, i don't have one and enough people have one now that i can borrow one so why bother having one? in a small "e" emergency i can borrow one; in a big "E" emergency a cell phone won't exactly help me.

final question of no real context: who the hell taught people to embed images in word documents until said word docs are 14mb, then have them email them to everyone in hell's creation on a system that can't even handle most files that large?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honouring and commending an apostate and hated figure will definitely put the British officials [in a position] of confrontation with Islamic societies," Mr Hosseini said.]
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one grating passage, boys are encouraged to carry a handkerchief, among other things, for "offering one to a girl when she cries."
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the more interesting things about the american political landscape is how people who would not hesitate to call the vast majority of the country "redneck religious bigots" or "right wing scumfucks" etc will hesitate to call the above "hillbilly retards." or make excuses for the obviously heartfelt and sincere religious devotion to punishing apostasy.

but this is a very old trend with regards to rushdie, who has always - and i do not exaggerate here - been treated with a mixture of contempt and cautious sidestepping by much of the american lit studies left (har har as if there were anything else going on there?) even after translators were murdered and the berkeley bookstore was firebombed.

though i think i've posted about this before, but whatever totally lame -50 to all involved. the best part is if he had been pissing on jesus it would have been cool. and if he had been a lesbian in a wheelchair literally pissing on someone else dressed as jesus and taken photos of it, he'd be the chair of a performance studies department in the SUNY system now.

shit, putting it that way he lucked out.

but yeah long boring story short ideologues are fuckfaces and free expression shouldn't be limited to making fun of christianity or having a seven-category sexual identity. duh.

also i think this lady is wrong too.

in other news my ladylove is in tulsa looking through jean riis' personal letters and we've ((i.e. mostly her) come up with some awesome book/website project to do but, again due to the left-ocracy in the lit world, she has to wade through a bunch of nonsense first before being able to do something like, you know, original research. her diss has to be filtered through a bunch of layers of largely nonsensical and inapplicable lit theory, and that makes her sad. which makes me sad, since i am largely a puppet.

eh, i get pissy about but expecting things to be any different than they are is expecting the sky not to be. i sometimes forget we are all scorpions and squirrels sometimes.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this story cannot be real.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Honouring and commending an apostate and hated figure will definitely put the British officials [in a position] of confrontation with Islamic societies," Mr Hosseini said.]

At this point, Iran is just begging for trouble. I already think the UK made an ape of itself handling the sailor hostage situation. We've let Iran put the foot in the door, and I don't see why we should give them any more ground.

Like a knighthood means anything at all these days.

And that woman writes for the Daily Mail. What else is to be expected?

dhex wrote:
In one grating passage, boys are encouraged to carry a handkerchief, among other things, for "offering one to a girl when she cries."

I want this book.

Relevant.

Quote:
A Swedish heavy metal fan has had his musical preferences officially classified as a disability.

Makes sense to me.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
one of the more interesting things about the american political landscape is how people who would not hesitate to call the vast majority of the country "redneck religious bigots" or "right wing scumfucks" etc will hesitate to call the above "hillbilly retards." or make excuses for the obviously heartfelt and sincere religious devotion to punishing apostasy.

Word the fuck up, duder. Some of the quotes from this story are cuh-rah-zee. I think my favorite was a Pakistani government official saying that suicide bombings done in order to protect the honor of Muhammed are "justfiable".

I, however, have no problem calling shennanigans on both sides. All sides!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there were pictures of the metal guy in a swedish website's version.

Quote:
Rogers handikapp — hårdrock!

JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
this story cannot be real.

Damn. If only I could live in a nice welfare state like Sweden.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad they couldn't underwrite pansonic or something, you know, useful and good. depriving the world of a chronically underemployed pizza delivery boy seems downright sinful.

unrelated:kill bill is such a fucking great pastiche i want to wear it to bed.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best thing about summer in my area is the hipster baby sales, where they put all their cds and fun books on the block because someone couldn't bag it.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

i've never seen kill bill but lines like this are why i love you.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
too bad they couldn't underwrite pansonic or something, you know, useful and good. depriving the world of a chronically underemployed pizza delivery boy seems downright sinful.

That's it, mike. I watched ten minutes of sin city and hated it. It's been so with every movie that I've seen after hearing a breathless bit of praise from you. I am never trusting another one of your judgements on films ever again.

And, yeah, I hated Kill Bill.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude i have bad taste in film. mine are never boring. there is no real characterization. it is nothing but action action ACTION all night long.

sin city was pretty.

i also really admire certain clint eastwood films quite a bit.

and i'm about to watch over the top, which is basically citizen kane + arm wrasslin'.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

social sanctioning is often fatal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often keep a hat near me, in the event that I need the power of a diesel engine.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the question "can i make a dish so spicy even i cannot eat it" has been answered and the answer is maybe. intentionally i mean. this batch of chili paste i got is like, 3x spicier than the last batch. wtf, food maker?

man i walked four about four hours today. it was nice. and nothing like a trip to the big and tall shop to remind you that ice cream is not a breakfast food.

tomorrow i hope to get up stupid early (6 ish) and walk across the brooklyn bridge. and maybe through chinatown and then up to the f train. or maybe a round trip. dunno.

when peeps come to town and they don't want to get their drink on, i try to encourage them to take long walks instead. it don't always work. it's the ideal way to learn about where you are visiting, really, beyond peace corps or something.

bored last night and did this:

http://dhex.org/audio/dhex/jeight.mp3

i've also gotten no love for my ambient mix. and i figured out why. including that time machines track.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the best anti-drug-war ad i've ever seen.

quoth i:
Quote:
that was fucking great!

ok here's the gameplan:

we kidnap the staff of high times, sell them into slavery, and use the money to get this played on fox news all the fucking time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
the question "can i make a dish so spicy even i cannot eat it" has been answered and the answer is maybe. intentionally i mean. this batch of chili paste i got is like, 3x spicier than the last batch. wtf, food maker?

i know you're into spicy stuff but it never really dawned on me till just now. if you know some good places, we should go there. and/or we can have some sort of spicy food showdown.

Quote:
when peeps come to town and they don't want to get their drink on, i try to encourage them to take long walks instead. it don't always work. it's the ideal way to learn about where you are visiting, really, beyond peace corps or something.

yes! i completely agree with you on this point. when i went down to DC about two months ago, i spent three hours just walking around and trying to get a feel of what was around me. i ended up finding some really great stuff and it sort of made me want to move to DC (but since i've heard the rent there is not much better than here, nevermind).
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man i did about 9.5 miles today, across the bridge, down to the financial district, looking for a fucking coinstar machine. hung out in the park a bit by the bridge on the way back. didn't get hit by anyone thankfully, which sort of cemented something:

yeah the nypd is bullshit on the whole parade permits thing in the city, but why are so many cyclists such obnoxious fucking twits?

and now something we can all agree upon:

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so bloodlines is basically a really good game that wasn't finished.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the living hell?

oh:

Quote:
Meet Prince Pickles, the adorable mascot of Japan’s Self Defense Forces (SDF). For years Pickles and his girlfriend, Parsley-chan, have been spreading warm, fuzzy feelings about Japan’s military. The star of his very own government-sponsored comic book, Prince Pickles’ Diary, the doe-eyed prince plucks Japanese citizens from floodwaters, mans balloonish tanks, and disarms underwater mines. More recently, he’s been spotted—under the banner “For the Future of Iraq”—shaking hands with a cartoon sheik.

Japanese citizens have tended to be suspicious of the SDF, a fact that helps explain Pickles’ back story. A native of the peaceful Paprika Kingdom, he at first didn’t understand the need for his small country’s defense forces. It wasn’t until the neighboring Sesame Kingdom invaded that the prince learned the value of a military. Pickles went from wary skeptic to willing soldier.

Japan is addicted to all things kawaii, so it’s no surprise that the propaganda architects should consider the cuteness craze a fitting foundation. In April, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told the press that Japan, pacifist since losing World War II, would adopt a more assertive military role in world affairs. Can deft use of the pencil ease brutal memories of the sword? Prince Pickles’ next mission may be to find out.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/120355.html
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch michael savage video, drink, rinse, repeat.

people, man. people.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.danah.org/papers/essays/ClassDivisions.html

basically smart middle upper class kids move to facebook and the hoi polloi go to myspace. i've never seen facebook (just to continue my no cell phone using, tv getting rid of being a total fucking dick about selective media consumption thing) but myspace is an aesthetic nightmare from which humanity is trying to awaken. this converges with danah boyd's analysis, as guidos and hoodies are also aesthetic nightmare.

man, part of me thinks i should pursue the whole e-ethnography thing but i'm never going to pass anyone's political litmus tests.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of litmus, an associate of mine has been attempting to come up with a value neutral analogy for abortion. an interesting - if futile - task, but he's come up with a very interesting set. out of the three this is the most value neutral i think.

Quote:
Another:

You have a yacht, and you are sailing in deserted waters nine hours from land. You've discovered that, before leaving port, someone put a "Free Boat Rides! Come aboard!" sign on your yacht. Now you find that a man, having read the sign, is on board without your knowledge. You do not want the man on your boat, but if you push him into the water this far from land, he will surely drown. Do you have the right to expel him from the boat nonetheless? If you do, should you be prosecuted?

what needs to be added is this line from another analogy:

Quote:
One of the following is true (choose any of these): a) you left the door unlocked; b) you thought the door was locked, but the lock was faulty; or c) someone else forced the door and left it ajar before the stranger arrived.

and mentioning that the man may very well end up living on your boat for 18 to 35 years (depending on how much sci-fi channel he watches as a child).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
http://www.danah.org/papers/essays/ClassDivisions.html

basically smart middle upper class kids move to facebook and the hoi polloi go to myspace.

facebook was started for and initially restricted to college students, so I'm not really surprised that the majority of people use myspace. if anyone can use facebook now, then it's a relatively new thing. I first got on to talk to my brother when he was overseas, but didn't use it much, and I just signed on the other day to add someone and they still won't let you put someone's name down if they aren't a member. So, yeah, it was/is much more controlled than myspace.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i don't claim to know a lot about any of that stuff. which is probably, again, my loss, but i have bad focusing issues so i never bothered with myspace, etc, back when all my friends in bands were wetting themselves over it. i couldn't even be bothered to sign up. probably just another boat missed, etc, but it seems more like the equivalent of a crowded bar filled with people who make their own clothes but shouldn't. this may or may not be elitist, but who the fuck cares? (the elitism thing doesn't ring so very hard anymore since so many people are so willing to denounce huge swathes of the population due to political/social affiliations.)

this is interesting:

Harvard political scientist Robert Putnam, author of Bowling Alone, is very nervous about releasing his new research, and understandably so. His five-year study shows that immigration and ethnic diversity have a devastating short- and medium-term influence on the social capital, fabric of associations, trust, and neighborliness that create and sustain communities. He fears that his work on the surprisingly negative effects of diversity will become part of the immigration debate, even though he finds that in the long run, people do forge new communities and new ties.

i think truth is a far better god than politics, but of course i would think that. (hegemon, hegemon, heresiarch)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, his fears aren't unfounded. but people will always find fodder to support their politics, whether true (or relevant) or not.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

granted, but his long-term findings seem to cancel that out. (i haven't read the work yet, but i will.)

and furthermore, one would think this would either temper stances across the board (har har har) or, what would be more desirable is a reframing of the understanding of society, family, community and all that jazz. it is changing. families are far smaller, unrelated networks are getting larger and periods of long ethnic and cultural change always result in odd things that were not as they were before. is it gross? yes. is it not fun to live through? often. does it leave open the danger to populist, nationalist and authoritarian movements? yeah, usually.

are there any other alternatives? none that i can see.

i was not particularly impressed by bowling alone (it was kind of a thing when it came out in some circles) but i think his notion of community involvement is somewhat overblown and old-fashioned. but his research seems to be largely solid, even if his conclusions sometimes puzzle me.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a borges biography review.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also are folks going to be around for the boredoms 77 drummers thing on july 7th? i am getting there early even though i hate waiting a lot. also going to regulate the fuck out of some interstate commerce and probably get really drunk afterwards.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh great maybe we'll have another blackout and i won't ever get home tonight hooray!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah not safe for work too

edit bah

http://horribletattoos.blogspot.com

http://horribletattoos.blogspot.com/2007/01/muscle.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria and I (and some friends) are planning to go to the Boredoms show. you apparently need to RSVP here in order to go.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck well here's hopin'.

sorry i blew you off monday, btw, but i didn't get back til late and was pooped.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, no problem, i figured something like that happened. anyhow, i ended up getting a call later asking me to come in for an interview early Tuesday morning so i probably couldn't have come out for too long anyway.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, how'd it go?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, ron paul namechecked lysander spooner on fox news. i'm pretty sure the eschaton is here.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also i can't find anyone to go to today is the day with me in september except my friend brian who will probably have a session that day anyway.

man that brings me back to high school.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/NoTreason/NoTreason_chap3.html

Quote:
the government, like a highwayman, says to a man: "Your money, or your life." And many, if not most, taxes are paid under the compulsion of that threat.

The government does not, indeed, waylay a man in a lonely place, spring upon him from the roadside, and, holding a pistol to his head, proceed to rifle his pockets. But the robbery is none the less a robbery on that account; and it is far more dastardly and shameful.

The highwayman takes solely upon himself the responsibility, danger, and crime of his own act. He does not pretend that he has any rightful claim to your money, or that he intends to use it for your own benefit. He does not pretend to be anything but a robber. He has not acquired impudence enough to profess to be merely a "protector," and that he takes men's money against their will, merely to enable him to "protect" those infatuated travellers, who feel perfectly able to protect themselves, or do not appreciate his peculiar system of protection. He is too sensible a man to make such professions as these. Furthermore, having taken your money, he leaves you, as you wish him to do. He does not persist in following you on the road, against your will; assuming to be your rightful "sovereign," on account of the "protection" he affords you. He does not keep "protecting" you, by commanding you to bow down and serve him; by requiring you to do this, and forbidding you to do that; by robbing you of more money as often as he finds it for his interest or pleasure to do so; and by branding you as a rebel, a traitor, and an enemy to your country, and shooting you down without mercy, if you dispute his authority, or resist his demands. He is too much of a gentleman to be guilty of such impostures, and insults, and villainies as these. In short, he does not, in addition to robbing you, attempt to make you either his dupe or his slave.

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his dissent on a recent free-speech case, Justice John Paul Stevens wades into the war-on-drugs debate, comparing modern-day pot smokers with "otherwise law-abiding patrons of bootleggers and speakeasies," during the prohibition era.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
In his dissent on a recent free-speech case, Justice John Paul Stevens wades into the war-on-drugs debate, comparing modern-day pot smokers with "otherwise law-abiding patrons of bootleggers and speakeasies," during the prohibition era.

It's things like this that make me think that Americans can be decent.

note: winners don't use drugs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 13 of 48

Jump to: