The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, a first person shooter fan walks into a game store...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chlazza

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: So, a first person shooter fan walks into a game store... Reply with quote

...and walks out with a PSTwo and a copy of Killzone.

Halo killer my pasty white ass.

Hi. I'm Chlazza. I'm new here. (Please be gentle?)
The above scenario is not a work of fiction. I've been a die hard PC gamer my entire life (That second hand Dreamcast doesn't count, it runs Windows! Sorta!), so I need a hand here.
I'm looking for some solid games for the PS2. Everybody I've talked to so far has listed off the old standbys (GTAX, God of War, Guitar Hero, ect.) but I've read Gamers Quarter since its first issue and if there is anybody on the Internet's that can come up with a decent list of lesser-known titles I'm sure it'll be you guys.

For reference, here's what I've played so far and what I thought:
- I dislike Katamari damacy. Sorry. Nice game mechanic, but it really isn't entertaining to me. And the music gets stuck in my head.
- I throughly enjoyed MGS3/MGS2 (and plain old MGS for that matter) although after the first two run throughs the games kind of lost their appeal.
- Guitar Hero was a blast, but I've limited exposure and I'm worried that most of the fun I have with it is due to the novelty of the expensive controller.
- God of War is also a blast. I'm playing through it as a friends house, as that game is a lot more fun with an audience. I am kind of worried about the linearity having an adverse effect on the fun if/when I replay it.
- GTA3 got boring in about 15 minutes. I was impressed by its technical chops in terms of a (mostly) uninterrupted city landscape, but it tried to be both a third person shooter and a driving sim with arcade elements at the same time and (in my opinion) it didn't do either well.
- R-Type Final was fun for a bit, but again it was that 'replay this a bunch to unlock new stuff!' game mechanic that turned me off from it.
- I'm interested in the art and story threading its way through Disgaea, but I really can't bring myself to spend hours just mindlessly leveling. That why I don't play MMORPGs, or most RPGs for that matter. Well, except for Deus Ex, but that was a different can of beans...
- Ace Combat...4? The little I played was okay.

In general I should note that I'm a huge sci-fi/military first person shooter fan. I cut my teeth on Doom, hold the Marathon Trilogy as The Golden Standard, and think Deus Ex was one of the best games ever made.
Sadly, consoles aren't exactly havens for FPS games (except for this upstart Halo franchise...), which is why I've held off for so long in buying one.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Ace Combat games. All of 'em. Even the ones that are especially silly like 5. You've usually got to crank the difficulty at least one notch to make them worth your while, though. Zero has an emphasis on dogfighting over destroying ground targets, which makes it more engaging to play than any of the other PS2 sequels (04 is almost meditative in spots, which is enjoyable in a different way, however. Also it's got a classy story).

For console FPS games on the PS2, Black is hard to beat. Looks gorgeous too, none of the fast and dirty xbox-downport corner cutting you'd expect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always suggest Way of the Samurai. Despite not being your normal cup of tea, it is an exceptional game. It really captures the '60s samurai movies so well. There is also a branching system that can change each play through so much that it feels like a new experience. Your responses impact how others treat you - you can mix up good, bad, and indifferent - allowing you to be your own character. It has a weird save system, and it sucks that you have to sacrifice a sword in order to use it after you lose, but its timed branching system and exceptional combat engine make it a must.

I also got a kick out of the action-platformer I-Ninja.
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prince of Persia, immediately. All three games really are worth playing, even if Warrior Within gets a bad rap (it's actually better than Sands of Time, mostly).
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should pick up Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies. One of the better titles available for that console. I also recommend Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex video game. It's a well designed third person shooter with ingenious close quarters combat and a plot as smart as you'd expect from the franchise, even managing to, quite easily, justify you taking on an army of people. I'll second the Prince of Persia recommendation, though I haven't played beyond the Sands of Time.

If you've brought Killzone already, you'll find that it does have a few redeeming features all the same. But if you're looking for a good FPS series on the PS2, you can't go wrong with Free Radical's the Timesplitters games. Though to be honest, I much prefer their third person psychic adventure game, Second Sight. One of the best told stories in the last generation of consoles.

The PS2 version of Deus Ex: The Conspiracy is interesting, to say the least. It probably has some of the best controls you could expect of a console FPS, new animations and models, as well as cinematics. It makes the story an easier experience to swallow than the underwhelming and frustrating PC version does.

You might also enjoy Resident Evil 4 or Cold Winter. And Black is over-rated twaddle.

Last edited by Dracko on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like FPS games I'm not sure they get better than Black on the PS2. Not to say that it's an unbelieveable must-have or anything, just that the system never had a great FPS presence.

If you like fantasy military stuff though, I'd recommend Psi-Ops. I played it on the Xbox so I can't vouch for the port quality, but assuming they're the same I highly recommend it. It's a game about a telekinetic army dude who can tackle the levels in any way you can dream of. You can set dudes on fire with your mind, you can throw them at each other, or you can just shoot them with your guns. It's great.

Also if you're into Transformers at all, I'd highly recommend the Melbourne House Transformers game. It's oddly Haloesque, but I actually like the single player a lot better than Halo's. Basically you're given an enormous stage with a boss at a pretty obvious location and you've got to run around the stages searching for upgrades then fight a boss and move on. The cool thing about the upgrades is that you can slowly customize the game to play it however you want. There are sticky grenades, sniper rifles, hang gliders, etc. I like to run into enemies at full speed, tranform into a robot while they're still flying through the air, and blast them as they fall to the ground. It's superb.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
If you like fantasy military stuff though, I'd recommend Psi-Ops. I played it on the Xbox so I can't vouch for the port quality, but assuming they're the same I highly recommend it. It's a game about a telekinetic army dude who can tackle the levels in any way you can dream of. You can set dudes on fire with your mind, you can throw them at each other, or you can just shoot them with your guns. It's great.

Seconded! Same as Wes though, in that I only played the Xbox version. It's a ton of fun. You can mix the powers as well: you can get on top of a crate, then levitate the crate and navigate it over fires and stuff; or you can set someone on fire and throw them into others to burn them as well.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah black is fairly disappointing but it's about as good as it gets on the ps2. i actually thought killzone was better in some ways, or at least more compelling. or perhaps i was more bored. who knows?

hey if you find it maximo: ghosts to glory is actually really fun and incredibly hard. and should be about 50 cents at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the Katamari Damacy music stuck in your head is a favorable side effect, not a detrimental one!

But, yeah, you might get your rocks off on Black. And Resident Evil 4 is really, really, really worth it (but I've only played it on the Gamecube).

And Rez might not be your thing, but it is everything it's cracked up to be. You might try to borrow it from somebody rather than pay the asking price, though, if you're skeptical.
Chlazza

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Black, and RE4 are on the list, and I've got a friend I can borrow most of the Ace Combat games and the GitS game from. I'll see if I can find a cheap copy of Psi-Ops as well.

I'll look into Cold Winter as well (one of the few games I've seen with an HK G11 in the weapon lineup), but Black/GitS may fill my mediocre shooter quotient quite well.

Maximo: Ghosts to Glory - Gamespy: "Inspired by Capcom's classic Ghouls 'N Ghosts series..." Erk. I've heard storys about Ghouls 'N Ghosts. I'm not much of a platformer fan to boot, but we'll see.

I've played the Prince of Persia PC demo and honestly I had a rather violent negative reaction. I don't respond well (or at least in a positive manner) to jumping puzzles (anybody remember that spinning cube elevator at the end of Dark Forces 2?), which is what PoP seemed to consist entirely of. I'll give it credit for being original, but I'm not going to spend money on it.

I'll look into that Transformers game; big robots are always awesome. Too bad the MechWarrior license went to Microsoft and the Xbox. (Which reminds me, I still need to play Steel Battalion somehow...)
Speaking of which, what about the Armored Core series? Any good?

I'll also take a look at Way of the Samurai, but it might be a bit to close to fantasy to entice me.

I've played Rez, on the Dreamcast no less. I've gotten to the stage five(?) boss with my character at pretty high levels but I've never managed to get past that point.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fond memories of playing Timesplitters on the PS2, but I'm not sure if that's because of quality or because of nostalgia--my friends and I might not have known better at the time.
Lasa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Timesplitters is quite unforgiving in single-player, the two sequels are the things to buy if you're looking for a fun single-player experience.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget R-Type and play Gradius V.

The Armored Core games are wickedly hard, but amazing if you're up to it, if my understanding is correct. This should tell you all you need to know.

Having vibration in Rez makes it an entirely new experience.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, unless you're a robot that is unable to understand the concept of love, you should get Gitaroo-Man.

Also, some of the titles we're throwing at you aren't common and might not be found at your local gamestop. Gamequestdirect.com is pretty cool; they have lots of out-of-print stuff.

SKYGUNNER SKYGUNNER SKYGUNNER SKYGUNNER SKYGUNNER

Cute aerial combat with an initially awkward but interesting control scheme. There are five or six levels, and all of them last quite a while. Each of the three fighters plays differently, and depending on which one you choose the level is completely different. A bit hard, a bit flawed, but defnitely one of my favorite games on the PS2.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black should only be played on the XBOX. Custom soundtracks make the game.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:

and how!

(my trance vibe is broken ;_; )

the only ps2 games i can really recommend that aren't arcade ports are god hand and outrun 2006.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: So, a first person shooter fan walks into a game store.. Reply with quote

Chlazza wrote:
And the music gets stuck in my head.

Do you hate good music?

You may want to check out Subsistence if you played the original MGS3. It's almost a new game.

I was going to suggest Second Sight as well. RE4, of course. God Hand.

No one's dropped Ico or Shadow of the Colossus yet, so. I consider those the best the PS2 has to offer.

I only played demos of Black and Killzone, but I remember feeling a little more engaged by the latter. Either way I just hate playing FPSs on consoles, with analog sticks.
Chlazza

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News: Watching that GTA3 speedrun over on speeddemosarchive.com has rekindled my interest in the game. Thanks to the sheer popularity of the game, discount bins probably have their fair share of the title.
(OT: Has anybody else seen the time on that new Deus Ex speedrun? Holy crap!)

Quote:
The original Timesplitters is quite unforgiving in single-player, the two sequels are the things to buy if you're looking for a fun single-player experience.

Noted!

Quote:
Forget R-Type and play Gradius V.

Another title that looks interesting; thank you sir.

Quote:
The Armored Core games are wickedly hard, but amazing if you're up to it, if my understanding is correct. This should tell you all you need to know.

Thank you for the link, that was quite an interesting read.

Quote:

Does it now? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Quote:
Hey, unless you're a robot that is unable to understand the concept of love, you should get Gitaroo-Man.

Sounds Australian.
*bleeds oil*

Quote:
Gamequestdirect.com is pretty cool; they have lots of out-of-print stuff.

Ah, thank you for pointing that out.

Quote:
SKYGUNNER SKYGUNNER SKYGUNNER SKYGUNNER SKYGUNNER

Noted! Looks like it could be interesting if I can grab it used or discount.

Quote:
the only ps2 games i can really recommend that aren't arcade ports are god hand and outrun 2006.

God Hand, eh? I keep hearing about that game, I'll look into it.
As for Outrun, sadly, I'm not much of racing game fan.

Quote:
Do you hate good music?

Define 'good music' - I suspect we have wildly differing requirements. Smile

Quote:
You may want to check out Subsistence if you played the original MGS3. It's almost a new game.

I skipped straight over the original MGS3 and got Subsistence. Sadly, I got it after they shutdown the online portion.

Quote:
I was going to suggest Second Sight as well.

Ah yes, I saw that come out a while back and then completely forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
No one's dropped Ico or Shadow of the Colossus yet

I watched an Ico speedrun and tried my hand at Shadow of the Colossus for a few minutes. The game is pretty much nothing BUT atmosphere and style, but I don't think its my cup of tea.

Quote:
Either way I just hate playing FPSs on consoles, with analog sticks.

Agreed.
To be honest, in my original post I should have probably mentioned I wasn't specifically looking for FPS or related games when I spoke of my interest in the genre, but rather that I gave that information in the hopes of being useful to people giving recommendations.
Regardless, it sounds like I got a lot of good titles here. Thank you all!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything over half an hour isn't a speedrun.

and! outrun isn't a racing game. it's a driving game. there is a distinction, honest to betsy. you ought to at least try to borrow a copy.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if you're still around I highly recommend Silent Hill 2. The combat is a bit clunky, but keep with it, the payoff is more than worth it.

Also, I haven't played the PS2 version, but Killer7 is one of my favorites. If you think of it as a lightgun game it might help.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Chlazza

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
and! outrun isn't a racing game. it's a driving game. there is a distinction, honest to betsy. you ought to at least try to borrow a copy.

Gotchya. I'll keep an eye out.

Shapermc wrote:
Hey, if you're still around

Oh yes. I never went away.

Black is a barrel of fun, even if the story depth registers in the negative. Don't know if there is much replay value though - it has an awesome cinematic experience the first time through, but I have a feeling a lot of the events I see are scripted. Still, I buy movies on DVD, don't I?
RE4 is, sadly, fairly frustrating. I'm probably doing it wrong. And is it just me or is it missing some of the dynamic lighting that I saw on the Gamecube version? I swear Leons flashlight actually did something at one point.

Shapermc wrote:
I highly recommend Silent Hill 2. The combat is a bit clunky, but keep with it, the payoff is more than worth it.

Minor problem: I don't like scary games. I barely made it through Doom 3, couldn't finish the FEAR demo, and only got a couple of seconds (yes, seconds) into the AvP2 demo.
However, I have a couple of friends who are horror fanatics who keep telling me that they're going to plop me in a chair one night and play through the whole thing for me.

Shapermc wrote:
Also, I haven't played the PS2 version, but Killer7 is one of my favorites. If you think of it as a lightgun game it might help.

There is a PS2 version?
*checks Gamespy*
Huh, how about that. I'll keep my eyes open for a copy.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Minor problem: I don't like scary games. I barely made it through Doom 3, couldn't finish the FEAR demo, and only got a couple of seconds (yes, seconds) into the AvP2 demo.
However, I have a couple of friends who are horror fanatics who keep telling me that they're going to plop me in a chair one night and play through the whole thing for me.

Well, it's more of a drama game smashed into a "horror" skin. It's gory, but it probably won't make you jump too bad. It's worth giving a try. Side note: the greatest hits version actually has a whole other scenario that the original version doesn't.

About Killer7: the game is worse on the PS2, so expect some poor loading times.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
antitype

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Hill isn't about "jumps", though. It'll scare you shitless through sheer atmosphere alone.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chlazza wrote:
RE4 is, sadly, fairly frustrating. I'm probably doing it wrong. And is it just me or is it missing some of the dynamic lighting that I saw on the Gamecube version?

I haven't done the comparison myself, but the Gamecube version is supposed to be the prettiest. I know it was the lead SKU.

As for playing it wrong, I obviously don't know how you're playing it, but it doesn't play at all like most shooters, even though you use a gun most of the time. You shouldn't have an easy time running around and strafing everyone. It's meant to be very stifling in terms of the level layout and in terms of your own freedom of movement and in terms of what kind of vision you are given over the scene. You should always feel very threatened, and not like a superrunandgunherodude, which is more like Black.

In terms of playing well without dying, I can't offer too many other suggestions other than to say that using the 180-degree turn (it's back on the analog stick while pressing 'b' on the gamecube controller) is extremely effective for monitoring all sides of you, and you should use it much more if you aren't now.

Hope that was helpful.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE4 is mostly about crowd control. Learn to shoot people in the head and then kick them while they're stunned; it's wide enough tha it'll stun large crowds. Don't be afraid to waste your incindiary grenades, do be afraid to waste your real grenades, save the flashes for those special monsters they take out instantly--play around if you don't know what I'm talking about.

If you're having trouble with ammo, remember you have a knife that's usually good enough to kill a solitary villager.

Don't experiment with weapons the first time through, just live by this guide. (Except for the shotgun thing. I hate the striker.)

That's pretty much it.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: