The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True or not, I wouldn't want to be the one to slog through all the dialogue boxes to test it out.

And yeah, it asks at the beginning if you want the dialogue in Japanese. This would, in theory, make the story less audibly offensive if you don't understand Japanese. I probably should have picked that option.

That being said, shin'nen omedeto gozai-mas five months ago everybody!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The gamebox tried to tell me the writing was Shakespearean.

with a name like odin sphere shouldn't it have been wagnerian? i call wotan-igans.

voice acting in a language you don't understand seems to be the best way to go unless someone's willing to do it right.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
There are some aspects of it that are awful. The game's story, for instance, falls into this category. It's badly told. It's badly scripted. It feels extra awkward because there are load-times between different scenes within the cutscenes. The gamebox tried to tell me the writing was Shakespearean. It's not. The characters use the word 'Tis an awful lot. It's terrible. I can't disparage the storytelling aspect of the game enough. Oh, and it's all voice-acted. Voice-acting in games is really bad, and Odin Sphere is no exception.

dessgeega wrote:
hypothesis: all game stories told through dialogue boxes are bad. i hear you can at least set the voice-overs to the original japanese though?

The storytelling and voice acting ranges. Most of the time it's in the "poor" section. It ranges from awful to good, but it never gets into the excellent range. The story isn't "bad," it's just very children’s story/fairy tale-esque. I mean, have you read any Hans Christian Anderson or Brothers Grimm recently? It's no better/worse, this is just more long form. Honestly, the voice acting would be at least twice as good if it was just acted naturally, but they have these unnaturally jarring pauses between sentences which just makes everything feel off. At least it's an interesting change of pace from standard clichéd game stories.

However the story isn't offensively bad (most RPGs seem to insult my intelligence), it's just not good. I come closer and closer to switching to the Japanese language option ever time I play because I have a feeling that the story wouldn't seem as bad in a foreign language.

Also the pendulum of emotion on Odin Sphere has swung back in the favor of loving it last night. I finished up two more chapters with the second character and found out that his combat is much different than I had initially expected. I learned how to do an awesome (and dangerous) spin attack that you can chain for as long as you have the power to keep it going. Also, his general attack is much more flexible than it initially appeared to be, which leads to more interesting combat. It seems like the game has an odd learning curve that doesn't gel right with me. Like, in most levels the last mid-boss is more challenging than the final boss, and the first level or two of each character seems to give me the wrong impression of things.

I also decided that I can’t keep away from Etrian Odyssey and need to play it at night. I kind of jumped back in after a week off and found my place again. I really like this game!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
with a name like odin sphere shouldn't it have been wagnerian?

Oh, don't worry, it tries for that, too. One bad character (I've lost track of which one exactly) is named Wagner.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
dhex wrote:
with a name like odin sphere shouldn't it have been wagnerian?

Oh, don't worry, it tries for that, too. One bad character (I've lost track of which one exactly) is named Wagner.

How is a DRAGON a bad character? The dragons are awesome. (refering to design)

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean, have you read any Hans Christian Anderson or Brothers Grimm recently? It's no better/worse, this is just more long form.

yeah but dude...they've had hundreds of years to improve the forumula!

also if wagner had a friend named freddy and they had a falling out over a surrender to nationalism and piety that would be cool.

i've never understood why japanese game makers will take a foreign religious figure and change everything but the name. why was shiva an icy woman? wouldn't have blasting fools with his third eye been cooler?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i've never understood why japanese game makers will take a foreign religious figure and change everything but the name. why was shiva an icy woman? wouldn't have blasting fools with his third eye been cooler?

Harry Potter did some of this too. I have no freaking clue why they do that.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, to take a guess it's a familiar name, it's already from an existing language (or corruption of the existing language i.e. wodan/wotan/odaan/odin) so it makes "sense" and has at least some familiarity to it.

and i guess making shiva in to a woman who shoots ice is a way around hindus complaining that they're maligning their religion. (though to be fair it seems to be making even worse light of a religious symbol. no one's going to complain about wotan being used for silliness - and with odin they usually got the horse with eight legs right and i think dude had an eyepatch. only thing missing were some ravens)
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

igarashi is worse. i remember seeing "durga" described as a demon in one of his metrovanias and thinking that's like the opposite of true.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's like describing krishna as celibate.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
simplicio wrote:
Kinda nice, though I resent the grinding!

What grinding? This game has about as much of a grind as Dragon Quest titles. All the levels I've gained are from wandering around the levels, hitting FOEs, dead-ends, and getting lost. Some of the maps get quite large!

I'm calling it grinding because of the forced repetition. There's no way to simply waltz through the floors down to the first warp point on 6 without returning to town dozens of times, and every single time you've got to march through a few levels you cleared hours ago. They could have alleviated that with a few more well placed secret passages (on 2 and 4 in particular) at least.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
They could have alleviated that with a few more well placed secret passages (on 2 and 4 in particular) at least.

While I agree with you on 2 (and there were some pretty obvious places for it), 4 is a pretty straight shot.

Also, grinding is when you have to kill enemies (or harvest something, or mine a lot) in an easy fashion just to gain something. This can be levels, or money, or armor, or whatever. But it's generally considered boring and tedious because you're killing enemies that are extreamly easy to kill only for the sake of leveling up (and you have to do it over and over again). Etrian Odyssey tends to have you on a sloped progression where everytime you can survive a bit further until you have to go back. Also, use a warp wire! I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I only found myself wandering around fighting weak enemies so that I could level up because I thought you needed to defeat FOEs to move on. When I found out that was incorrect and that it's best if you just avoid them, I haven't had to grind at all. Hell, I don't even use the money trick anymore.

JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:

I'm calling it grinding because of the forced repetition. There's no way to simply waltz through the floors down to the first warp point on 6 without returning to town dozens of times, and every single time you've got to march through a few levels you cleared hours ago. They could have alleviated that with a few more well placed secret passages (on 2 and 4 in particular) at least.

Stalker (the protector/survivalist skill) does a good job of letting you just walk down to where you need to get to unmolested, for the most part.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Also, Wes needs to tell us (me) about Dawn of Mana in this thread.

Finally got a chance to play it this weekend. It's not bad! Not as bad as I was expecting after some of the previews and the travesty that was Children of Mana.

The primary thing you need to know going into it is that it's very, very different from other Mana games. It basically uses the setting, characters, and music from the Mana series to forge a level-based action game. The story's pretty questionable for the most part as well, and it comes off as much more "Saturday Morning Cartoon" than I would have hoped for in a Mana game.

If all of this sounds pretty terrible, that's pretty spot on, but where the game redeems itself is the interesting use of physics and the unique fighting mechanics. The game uses the Havok Physics engine extensively in combat - not just for ragdoll enemy deaths like most games, but for any object in the level, and even occasionally the level itself. Anything you see can be either pushed down a hill or grabbed, swung around, and thrown using a whip that's attached to your character's hand. This is important in battle because enemies don't really take any damage if you just whack them, but if you throw something at them to startle them first they wound pretty easily.

It becomes a game of finding a nearby object (or small enemy), throwing it at an enemy, and whacking it until it's dead. Whacking stunned enemies also means you'll get more item drops and increase your chances of leveling up. Where this is pissing off RPG gamers is that level-ups don't persist through each level and you can actually go back to any level you've already beaten and replay it whenever you want. This makes it less of an RPG and more of an action game, and it feels a lot more experimental than you'd expect from Square-Enix.

I'm not too far in so it remains to be seen whether or not things will stay interesting, but so far I kinda like it. When I think about going back to either Dawn of Mana or Odin Sphere I keep gravitating toward Dawn of Mana, so it must be doing something right. Then again, it may just be the fact that Odin Sphere kinda sucks. I'll talk about that later though, for now I gotta go do some work!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've played a bit more Etrian Odyssey last night and found out something interesting: the A button acts like a fastforward button if you hold it. I decided to go down to the 4th floor to do some Taking so that I can get the revive potion, and in looking up the info for that I ran across that holding A fast selects attack for all party members and even speeds up combat. You can use it like fastforward because you can hold it only durring combat or only durring action selection. Its nice!

captaincabinets

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACMI in Melbourne are hosting a "best of the IGF". I got to play (for a short time) Aquaria, which frankly I was pretty excited about. Underwater exploration always gets me hot.
It's pretty amazing - the visuals aren't outrageously good but colourful and appropriate, the music could not be more perfect, and it's very easy initially to get lost or go round in circles, which is great. It's just a real shame that there's combat.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i felt like it was the sort of game i should reserve judgement on until i have the chance to sit down and play it for a few good hours.

did you get to play everyday shooter?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did not. I had limited time (and the place got swarmed by schoolkids at one point), but I'll be going back pretty soon.

I also played gamma brothers, which was cute but honestly a little boring, and armadillo run, which was the incredible machine with the wackiness (aka sense of fun) stripped from it. I guess it would be useful for physics students.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished episode 2 of vanilla doom. yay!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Touch the Dead!

It started out stronger than it ended, though. It went from a fun prison area to a creepy hospital to boringmilitaryindustrialfacility all too quickly. But there was a swamp section in between.

It was still effectively tense most of the time, and I had to think a lot about ammo conservation and effectiveness of my four weapons. The boss battles were fairly simple, but still pretty hard even once you figure out the tricks. I unlocked "furious" mode at the end, which I'll probably try out whenever I go back to the game.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing Dig Dug Deeper, deciding to start playing the game ApM sent me that I will play the least. This seemed like the easy option since it's an arcade game.

It's not terrible! The graphics are faithful and nice, but they gave the player character an american superchin which is pretty lame. I really enjoy the music, some nice loungey stuff. It's all on the CD so I can listen to it outside the game. Yay! I should upload it to gamemp3s!

Anyway, gameplay is very similar to the original game. You start above the level, which doesn't serve any purpose except to move to the next area of that world, and if a monster should happen to escape the underground, you'll have to take them down up here.

As I said, the rest of the game is virtually identical, however they added new features such as power-ups (rare, you can only get them by killing enemies with style), new enemy types (basically super versions of the ones we've already seen) and more objects to interact with. You can now push boulders which is very handy, and there are also toxic gases that fill in the corridors killing anything it touches, and there is also a rock that explodes, so you can do combos for more points and such. They are nice additions but they could have done more, making the game a little more strategic for those who want to go for the high score. Also, there should have been some kind of water item that floods the level! So yeah, inoffensive, pretty faithful to the original game.

Unfortunately, the controls are stupid. It's all grid based, so when you're just a LITTLE to the right of a block on the grid, and say you press down to dig directly beneath you, the guy will walk to the right and dig there instead. It's a total pain in the ass and pretty stupid! I'm pretty sure the original game didn't have this problem. But yeah, apart from that, it's a pretty decent remake, just completely unnecessary. Shame they didn't do more with it, but I guess they were afraid of angering purists.

Above and below shots:

I wonder what I should play next.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dig dug arrangement

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serena blazkowicz blazing her way through hell. episode 3 is vicious, but full of options. the level design opens up a lot, as though you've proven you can make your own way through.

mine eyes can but weep as they bear witness to the majesty . . . the bfg 9000.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am pleased to report that impossible mission for the nintendo ds is not the worst remake i have ever played. it really adds nothing new besides graphics and sound, though you can play with the original graphics and sound or in a bizarre hybrid that sticks the pixel spy from the original into the bond-like ambience of the new game. the d-pad and buttons are used to do the platforming on the top screen, while the stylus is used to put together the puzzles on the touch screen. it works well enough if you're okay with holding onto the stylus while using the buttons.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDIZD is finally out. It's a remake of DooM episode one although It doesn't really feel like episode one. New enemies and additional weapons, ZDoom effects all over the place and a high level of detail in the level design which makes it look more cramped than it is in some areas. There are times when I really felt like I needed more ammo to kill things, maybe that isn't so on lower difficulties. I'm only up to map five so far since I got a little lost in places but otherwise it's quite a good WAD though not something you have to essentially have on your HDD.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this just in: i am too tough for hell to contain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, KDIZD has the same start to crate time as the original episode one only the walking distance between crate and man is longer.

Should I award it like a half mark or something?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that rating was bullshit, barrels totally don't count as crates.

Also, Impossible Mission DS sounds tight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrels are a derivative of crates as both can store objects of various types.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I realized how much I love SNES games, so I started a new game of Super Castlevania IV on Wii. I plowed through to Stage VII in one sitting; in probably less than half an hour, too. I didn't die until the later parts of Stave VI, when unfortunately I bit the dust twice.

Playing a game like this and being able to progress through it quickly is really satisfying (I don't think I could do it with Castlevania 3). Since I'm not great at 2D shooters, this will have to do! My only complaint so far is that Stage 3-2 doesn't last long enough; it contains literally my favourite game music of all time.

I was going to maybe nab another NES game or something on Virtual Console, but I have only 400 Wii points! Arrgh!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Barrels are a derivative of crates as both can store objects of various types.

So can my ass, but I don't see anyone calling it a crate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you're hanging around with the wrong crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrels in doom aren't really crates, though - they're canned explosions. they exist to allow for greater strategy, rather than as an arbitrary container of resources (which are in plain sight in doom).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck yeah i just finished impossible mission ds with like three hours left on the clock.

i am taking a shine to this game.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
barrels in doom aren't really crates, though - they're canned explosions. they exist to allow for greater strategy, rather than as an arbitrary container of resources (which are in plain sight in doom).

yes!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrels in general people.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally broke down and got Super Paper Mario. I just played it for about three hours straight, I think! I'm in the Bitlands now. God, I am just so happy with this game. It's refreshing to play a title that's genuinely funny. I don't want to play it too quickly because I want to enjoy it; at the same time, it keeps goading me on with its personality. The whole "gerbil" thing was impressively humorous.

So far I think my favourite little bit of dialogue was the short conversation between Luigi and a pair of Goombas. "Hi there, uh, bad guys. How's it going?" And, "Uh, awkward..."

Why are games like this such a rarity? This is honestly the most "mature" title I've played in years; I'm not even being facetious or anything.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe if by "mature" you mean "fluent" - fluent in the tropes of jrpgs. the translation staff (one of whom i met) is clearly very familiar with the conventions of jrpgs, and the script is very self-aware, constantly making jabs that only an audience that was equally familiar would get. a string of aggressive wink-winks nudge-nudges really isn't my definition of maturity: i actually find the script tedious and juvenile. but you're only up to the bitlands, which is admittedly the game's high point (as long as you get the joke).

tonight i replayed four of the episodes of kirby super star. that game has so many great ideas; it's sort of a codex of the platforming game. but as far as i'm concerned, this is the reason why it's the best-designed game in the kirby series: in other kirby games, if you're running along at high speed, and you press the attack button, kirby will come to a dead stop as he performs whatever static attack animation he's equipped with. in super star, he will rush forward using a charging version of the attack, maintaining the speed and flow of the game. in other kirby games, the problem is compounded by the fact that many of kirby's abilities and combinations (which was a terrible idea from the start) just aren't very useful or mobile. in super star all of kirby's abilities are versatile and contextual.

i played umihara after that. i like to say it's one of the most perfect games i've ever played, by which i mean that everything about it feels so deliberate. there's not anything in or about the game that isn't necessary. i still like the superfami game better than the playstation one, partly because of its consistant, understated visuals. and partly because it just seems better suited to the simpler hardware.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
a string of aggressive wink-winks nudge-nudges really isn't my definition of maturity.

Sure beats another case of, "In a world..." etc. etc. I disagree with you quite completely on this, but I don't feel like explaining myself any further. In fact, I kind of don't feel like discussing games much anymore in general.

Oh well, I'm still here to draw stuff, I guess. Actually, screw that; maybe I'll just quit the internets.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade! NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!

I don't really explain myself on the internet anymore, too. It's just too much hassle and a waste of time, especially when the majority of the time it's like talking to a brick wall. I walk away as soon as I can see things aren't heading into a useful area of discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Oh well, I'm still here to draw stuff, I guess. Actually, screw that; maybe I'll just quit the internets.

oh, don't be like that.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Lestrade wrote:

oh, don't be like that.

no do it

Dess how do you get to be a girl in Doom? I'm guessing it's a hack because I used to go through the WADS frame by frame and there ain't no ladies in Doomland.
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
Lestrade wrote:

oh, don't be like that.

no do it

Dess how do you get to be a girl in Doom? I'm guessing it's a hack because I used to go through the WADS frame by frame and there ain't no ladies in Doomland.

Femdoom, courtesy of dess' blog.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Labyrinth not two hours ago and went through all the courses. Now I have to go back and beat all my times hellafast.

Fun, Fun, FUN!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, contrary to all the ambivalence I've encountered I'm really enjoying Doom 3!

http://community.livejournal.com/dailyvideogame/72461.html

Anyone still using LJ, please feel welcome to join up.

Last edited by antitype on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
aerisdead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

Femdoom, courtesy of dess' blog.

I would only play that hack if it ran on the Petticoat 5.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doom 3 would be a really great game if there were no enemies.

i mean, the engine is nice (indoors only) and would make a great system shock esque game (because of the insane darkness). but sadly that's not what happened.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, my feelings are exactly the opposite. I was a little bit afraid that it was going to try to be a System Shock sort of game at the beginning, when the PDA was introduced and I thought I might get stuck with the task of mopping up the bathroom or something. Hell breaks loose in pretty awesome fashion, though, and though I'll admit I've wished for a moment of respite beyond checking my PDA in some room for 10 seconds at a time, I really appreciate the relentless pacing. It begins to feel like a desperate fight at times — I've made it through end-stage battles with pinkies and imps with 2 health, and when I stepped into that airlock I shook my head in disbelief. It's fucking Doom, and it's brutal.

I think it looks gorgeous outside, too.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the monster closet thing wears thin (actually the only place i remember it being really well done is when you pick up the chainsaw. it was appropriate then.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't entirely disagree, but I think the flashlight toggling keeps it engaging (and creepy).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 29 of 85

Jump to: