The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi all, I am looking for friends
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

icyclam is good for these forums?
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
BAN
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
(comedy yiffed by aderack) long live IC!
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

icycalm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Hi all, I am looking for friends Reply with quote

I was surprised to log into my cpanel earlier today and discover that insomnia has had a few visitors from the main page of GQ.

And I say I was surprised because it is a fact of lifr that many of the head honchos around here hate my guts. God help me if I know why but anyways.

So then I checked the GQ frontpage and, sure enough, there was an insomnia banner there. A banner, if I may add, which I didn't even know we had.

So I am here. Please don't assrape. Or knock yourselves out, I am kinda enjoying the assraping I am regularly treated to at LPN and, in any case, I now have my own forums where I can express my opinions without having to worry about trigger-happy hatemongering admins and their evil sidekicks (mods). Matter of fact, there are no mods on the insomnia forums and never will be. There are no admins either except me, of course. And the day I fuck with someone's opinions (by using the edit/delete/lock buttons) is the day I quit the internets.

Amen to that.

But I was planning to register here anyways, the fact that you linked insomnia just made me do it sooner. There are two reasons I am here. I will proceed to explain both of them in this thread later. I gotta get breakfast now. See ya soon, space cowboys.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man. I linked to insomnia because I like another god. I'm slightly indifferent to you, so if you cause drama I won't hesitate to ban you. Just a warning! Your site isn't bad, so I know you can contain yourself if you want to.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Hey man. I linked to insomnia because I like another god. I'm slightly indifferent to you, so if you cause drama I won't hesitate to ban you. Just a warning! Your site isn't bad, so I know you can contain yourself if you want to.

-Wes

I wonder what it is with you American kids and drama. You all seem to hate it for some reason... Oh, well that's your problem I, guess.

As for your ban threats, ban away dude! I've been banned and unbanned from so many forums, that you'd just be adding a feather to my cap.

BAN BAN BAN you big boy you with all your neat-looking extra buttons!

Also, it seems that you, like 99 percent of IC posters, just don't "get" me.

I am not "containing" myself on my site.
I am not going on a rampage on other sites.

I am simply being myself everywhere I go. If people treat me nice, I treat them nice. If they treat me like shit then I return the favor. With interest usually, cause that's what I'm like.

I am going to type a hugeass post now. brb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's the hugeass post. I am now going to tell you why I joined these forums. And I'll do that whether you like it or not. If you don't like it then just click on some other thread you lazyass lurker you. (If you have the attention span of a fly then you can scroll to the bottom where I've neatly summarised my reasons bullet-point style.) Or you can just give up and die, I could care less.

When shapermc first mentioned GQ on the insertcredit forums, I thought that the project didn't have a chance. And it was not only because a 16-year old who hadn't even had sex yet (and whose first system was probably a PS2) would be among the staff. It wasn't just because of the cheeky tagline or the orange color scheme. No, the main reason I thought that GQ would be dead on arrival was that the magazine would be quarterly. I mean who the fuck would want to wait 3 months to get a review/preview or whatever.

And when I took a long at the contents of the first issue my doomsday prophecies for GQ were simply reinforced. Looking at the contents, all I could see was reviews for big-name games like MGS3, SH4 and KD - with the longest most pompous-sounding titles that Toups could up with in his wildest dreams. I pointed my browser elsewhere, such was the force of the 100-megaton pomposity that struck me so violently it hurt my brain. Yeah, I gave up on GQ before even reading one sentence. Ajutla and the pompous titles did it for me.

ANYWAYS.

After the MTV fiasco, I was forced to re-examine my stance vis a vis GQ. I MEAN IF ITS ON MTV IT HAS TO BE GOOD RIGHT?

Right.

So I actually downloaded the second issue and "flicked" through it. And to my surprise, I couldn't see any reviews and such. And so I kept flicking, reading the odd paragraph here and there (the only article I've read so far in its entirety is dhex's one about NGJ - props to dhex, I really enjoyed it). So the mag was NOT going to be about reviews and such and so the "quarterly" business didn't matter anymore.

Anyways, so now I kinda like the mag. I am going to sit down, read both issues cover to cover, and write an article about it. And attach a score at the end from 1 to 5. We have a section on insomnia where we'll be reviewing videogame sites and magazines, and scoring them. That's what we do instead of just linking our buddies' sites. There will be no bannerlinks on insomnia. If our readers want to find out which site/mags we like, and why, they can just read our reviews.

So I will be writing the first such review and I will be reviewing this site. What I'd like to do when I've finished the review is post it here and maybe some of you can correct me if I've made any glaring mistakes or omissions.

OK, that's one reason out of the way. Now for the second and final one.

I post on many forums where people complain all the time how bad the reviews and articles suck on all the major sites/mags out there. Bitch bitch whine whine and no one ever does anything about it. GQ looks nice and all but it is not going to solve this problem. Because, at the end of the day, when a new game comes out we all run to the IGN or whatever for the review because there's nothing else out there. We all run to IGN for the pics, the news, the previews. And if you deny this and you lying to yourself man.

So I made the best-looking videogame site out there (with instantly updatable PHP and whathaveyou) and I invite people to come forward and show us what they can do. I know there are a lot of people here who can write (and everyone can write better than the IGN fools, for that I have no doubt) and I invite each and every one of you to submit reviews/impressions/articles here.

Here's the summary for those of you with short attention spans:

I joined these forums to:

1. Post my review of GQ and get feedback on it before I publish it on insomnia
2. Get people interested in writing for what will soon become the no.1 alternative videogamesite on the internets

Other than that I'll leave you all alone and won't be posting outside of this thread. Later.
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
I post on many forums where people complain all the time how bad the reviews and articles suck on all the major sites/mags out there. Bitch bitch whine whine and no one ever does anything about it. GQ looks nice and all but it is not going to solve this problem. Because, at the end of the day, when a new game comes out we all run to the IGN or whatever for the review because there's nothing else out there. We all run to IGN for the pics, the news, the previews. And if you deny this and you lying to yourself man.

I'm sure you've heard this before but I guess I'll restate it. One of the reasons we started Gamer's Quarter was precisely because the people who want "the pics, the news, the previews" and other such information-based journalism already have a host of (some actually pretty excellent) sites to fill that desire. IGN is mostly terrible but Gamespot tends to have informative, cleanly written and concise reviews with balanced and informed opinions. There are already a host of specialized independant news sites with different focuses that will post news, previews, pictures, and reviews as well, for people who have more specific tastes. Our purpose has never been to satisfy people's need for information. If anything, the internet is already overloaded with information, anyway. If we were just a news/review site, we'd just be adding to the noise.

No.

What the Gamer's Quarter has always been about, and admittedly this is true to a fault, is commentary and perspective, which are things that are seriously in short supply. We are here not simply to line up a bullet point of facts regarding the content of the game but to explore the context of the game as well: whether that context be the lives we live around the video games, the stories of the people who make them, or the larger role that those video games play within both video game culture and culture at large. We are here to ask Big Questions about videogames and occasionally even answer them. And we are here to share different ways of looking at videogames than the usual old numerical breakdown approach. We are here to tell stories, to share visions, to inspire debate and to make people ask questions.

But we aren't here to compete with IGN. If that's your stated goal with gameinsomnia, good luck. I don't see that as a battle worth fighting, nor one in which I'm capable of participating. One of the reasons I agreed to write for the Gamer's Quarter was precisely because it's quarterly. I write (and play) at a very slow pace. Even if I had advance copies of games I wouldn't be able to churn out a review that I'm happy in anywhere near the short amount of time major gaming sites do. It's not my thing.

The reason why I write, in the first place, is simply because I believe I have something worth saying that hasn't been said before. The reason I write for a quarterly publication is because I believe that the things I have to say will be just as relevant 3 months after I say them as when they were first conceived.

I do want to say this, however: I don't hate your guts. I like your writing. And when you aren't complaining, I enjoy you as a poster. But, at least on the internet, you are the sort of person that makes forums a worse place to be. The reason why is that a forum is there not to discuss forums, but to discuss whatever the forum was made for in the first place. We all registered at insert credit because we like talking about videogames. Not because we like talking about moderators and who is banning who and crap like that. And whenever someone consistently complains about it, and makes it the subject of discussion, well. It's annoying! That's all there is to it! If you lack so much confidence in yourself that you view learning some temperance in your behavior as "backing down", then there's nothing I can do about it. But you will continue to be banned from online forums and be hated by people who post there, for what it is admittedly a very stupid reason. And I hope you understand me when I say that you have no one to blame but your stubborn self.

There, a long, meandering post. You shoud link this to Marco and shit, he'd be all like "T00PZ! YOUR BACK!"

Last edited by Mister Toups on Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
Anyways, so now I kinda like the mag. I am going to sit down, read both issues cover to cover, and write an article about it. And attach a score at the end from 1 to 5.

Please attach like 5 needless numbers on the end as a joke. Like 3.45672 out of 5. I really think numbers are trivial if you can write well.

Anyways, you will probably enjoy issue 2 better than 1. We focused in a little more and pushed further from standard reviews.

Also, what was it that gave you the impression initially that we were more news and review oriented? Just so that we can avoid giving that impression to others is why I ask.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your insomnia banners.
The choice of colors and fonts are very pretty.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i give gamer's quarter a 3.7 out of noodles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of comments to reply to, but right now I'll only say a few things on scoring, because in my opinion it's the most important point raised so far.

All the alternative game journalists seem to think that scoring is useless.

You guys are simply not thinking big enough. That's why all the alternative game sites out there never get big enough to challenge IGN and co.

Imagine that you have a site which, over a sufficiently long period of time, builds a database of hundreds, even thousands of reviews. Great, well-written reviews all of them.

And then a 16 year-old boy wanders in blindly and starts checking the SNES reviews. Now, you have 325 SNES reviews, the boy just wants to pick a couple of games to play, how teh fuck will he choose which reviews to read? If he reads all of them he'd waste a few months (or a few years if they are Tim Rogers/Toups-size reviews).

Similarly for the site/mag reviews. If we were planning on reviewing our buddies' sites, then scores would be unnecessary. However, reviewing (or just linking) our buddies' sites, is pointless (as I am sure you all realize even though you have adopted this policy for your own site).

We will be reviewing hundreds of sites and websites. Scores are absolutely essential. Just ask Roger Ebert.

In conclusion, please sign up to our forums. Thank you, I'll be back for more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only roger ebert review i ever found useful didn't have a score.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamesarefun.com is kind of attempting the same thing. Gamefaqs.com kind of already has the same thing done. Granted it's all user-submitted and many of the reviews are retarded but it's already there.

If you are hoping to have better quality reviews than those sites, I suggest finding better writers. So far the only stuff worth reading on that website has been written by you.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
You guys are simply not thinking big enough. That's why all the alternative game sites out there never get big enough to challenge IGN and co.

Imagine that you have a site which, over a sufficiently long period of time, builds a database of hundreds, even thousands of reviews. Great, well-written reviews all of them.

And then a 16 year-old boy wanders in blindly and starts checking the SNES reviews. Now, you have 325 SNES reviews, the boy just wants to pick a couple of games to play, how teh fuck will he choose which reviews to read? If he reads all of them he'd waste a few months (or a few years if they are Tim Rogers/Toups-size reviews).

You have a point. Also as you have stated we are not trying to compete with anyone really. I don't think scores are useless, I just think that most sites need to greatly restrict their own score methods, and abide by their own internal set up. Then on top of that, combine theirs with other sites so that things like Game Ranking and Rotten Tomatoes can get an accurate picture of the game.

See, if site A has 7.5/10 as average (which is based on US school systems as a C letter grade meaning average) and site B has 5/10, this leads to Game Rankings and Rotten Tomatoes to bring up impressions of the same game just because everyone is working differently. Then you have sites like IGN that really seems to only use 6 - 10 as their grading scale (even though their internal logics state that 5 is an average game) with variations of this such as 6.3 or 7.4. Why not just use a 4 star rating? It is very strong to use 4 stars. Movies are a little closer, still with variation between 4 and 5 stars.

All I am saying is that the difference between a 7.5 and a 8.2 is still going to be the same as 3 stars in the future, say 5 years in the future. That is my main gripe with rating games.

We are also not really appealing to that 16 year old kid. This is more of a collection of essays to read. So, the reason that I requested a goofy number is bring attention to us not using them. Nothing else. I prefer to put the content over a number. A number will just encourage people to jump to that point ignoring the content.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scores are pretty useless, unless one is familiar with both the publication's biases, the author's biases and their own tastes vis a vis those biases.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
If you are hoping to have better quality reviews than those sites, I suggest finding better writers. So far the only stuff worth reading on that website has been written by you.

The two sites you mentioned are so bad, I won't even think of mentioning them in the same breath with insomnia.

Anyways, thanks for the compliment. In my opinion, however, and the opionion of many of our readers, the best damn article in the whole site is "Violent Knee Attack, bitch." it by another god.

But even that's not important. I am not trying to build a "one-trick" website.

Our goal is not to write 10 good articles like the IC guys and then live the rest of our lives pimping those 10 articles. The goal is to have all our articles be above a certain standard which we hope will be way way above dumbass sites like the GAF or what have you.

Damn that site is retarded.

As for better writers, I challenge everyone here (and everyone else on the whole interweb) to come forward and put us in our place with their mad writing skillz.

I am not trying to become a celebrity. I am trying to make the best videogamesite (one word) on the planets. I've heard enough whining. I want to see some action.

You know what pisses me off most about IC? There was so much good content hidden away in those forums, so many people who could write 10 times better than Brandon Sheffield and co., and yet they never got a chance to see their stuff on a real website. And then a 17 year old kid wiped them away. I can't even contact all those people and ask them to write for insomnia...

What a fucking waste.

Edit: shaper, your gripes with scores are really of a technical nature. When you have a scoring system out of 5, things are pretty simple. It takes me exactly 3 seconds to decide the score of a game I am reviewing. If I absolutely love it then it gets 5. If I like it very much, it gets a 4. Etc. etc. It's really a very minor issue. I am sure you can see that in a mainstream publication scores are necessary if for no other reason, then to attract a large readership. If scoring is a concession we have to make in order to attract the mass of gamers out there, then it's a concession we are prepared to make. At the end of the day, our words will eventually have the power to influence the tastes and buying habits of hundreds of thousands of gamers. If you couple that with the fact that there will never be a single ad on the whole site, and that we will never sell out to greedy Hong Kong exporters like IC and LPN have, then you have a site which people will trust.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the quality of writing on those sites is bad. Gamesarefun has the most needlessly long reviews of any website I've ever visited. Their news is good, though.

The point is, though, that need is more or less already filled. If what you are attempting is just a refinement of that, well, that's admirable enough. Like I said, good luck. It's the not the sort of thing that really appeals to me; if completed it would probably be like pitchfork media, which wouldn't be bad.

What we really need is something like the all music guide, which I don't see your website becoming. There already is an all game guide but it's woefully incomplete and not particularly clearly written. Frankly I don't think videogames are at a point where something like an all games guide is really possible. Ten more years, perhaps. Right now, no. There isn't enough Regular, Good Games Journalism to warrant its existence. You can't just fiat it into place.

Either way, your website isn't the sort of thing I could participate in. I have a hard time writing reviews in the traditional style and I certainly can't do it on a timely basis. I'm not interested in your challenge to demonstrate my writing skill. I think it's already been established and I'm comfortable and confident with where I am. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find some better writers. The Violent Knee Attack article is an unfocused wash, with some good points buried in it. If you are aiming to have a site that's mainly informative, though, articles like that won't do you any favors.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm actually failing to see what makes insomnia's toilet humor any more acceptable than IGN's. Actually, icyclam reminds me a lot of IGN PSP's mailbag guy.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
I've heard enough whining. I want to see some action.

Yea, that is pretty much what started up this project.

As long as your challenge applies to our magazine putting out the content I accept. Although, I think that unknowingly your challenge was accepted before you put it out there. As... that was pretty much the point in the first place.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know what pisses me off most about IC? There was so much good content hidden away in those forums, so many people who could write 10 times better than Brandon Sheffield and co., and yet they never got a chance to see their stuff on a real website. And then a 17 year old kid wiped them away. I can't even contact all those people and ask them to write for insomnia...

there is another view of that, especially in light of everything that has sprung from people who participated in the IC forums...

let us assume, illuminati style, that IC was an attempt to force more people to accept a certain mode of thinking on games (and to infuriate those who are deeply offended by first person prose on the subject) via subterfuge and sly style osmosis rather than brute force. everyone who decided to get cracking on something else because of IC and the ease of publishing on the web is, in their own way, carrying on this tradition, and in one sense, only the most motivated end up producing something of substance (good or not is immaterial in regards to proliferation). it's not like there's much of a barrier in terms of web publishing if someone is already posting on other sites.

at the end of the day, some of this influence is undeniable, especially in the proliferation of single sentence useage and elipses. (which i would point to as being the worst, grammatically, structurally and morally, of all the IC influences, while i see navel gazing as relatively benign) on the other hand, with an IC as Illuminati model...who can say whether or not their true aim was to create more single sentence, single idea model of writing, which helps undermine the transmission of complex ideas while building drama (usually of the cheap, holden caufield variety)

now, the only other publications i can think of in english which push this model are the rupert murdock owned newspapers. the ny post comes to mind. which also opens the possibility that IC was a newscorp stooge the whole time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your site (insomnia) has been ok/good so far. Your mildly annoying and so was violent knee attack bitch; it didn't seem to have much of anything to say. The genji/gunz reviews are informative though the gunz review was a little annoying. Specifically the 'Korea' bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Hmm. I'm actually failing to see what makes insomnia's toilet humor any more acceptable than IGN's. Actually, icyclam reminds me a lot of IGN PSP's mailbag guy.

-Wes

oh gosh

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
icycalm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Hmm. I'm actually failing.
-Wes

Exactly.

--------

As for the rest of the comments, I have this to say:

Several of you didn't like another god's article. I loved it. Marco loved it. A bunch of people signed up on our forums because of it. Toups didn't like it. So what? I can find a few hundred thousand people who wouldn't even manage to finish a single toups-paragraph. As for Shnozlak, I have yet to read any of HIS articles, so I'll simply ignore everything he says. This thread is for writers only.

Realize this: every writer has his/her own style. Every writer should have his/her own style. I mean hell, can you name a single writer whose style appeals to every single human being who has ever lived? Exactly. So Insomnia will eventually have many writers, each one with their own unique style.

As for my "challenge", it was not a challenge directed to the GQ crew. I never asked Toups to write for us. I see 170 or so posters in your memberlist and I was addressing them. Shnozlak and co. should stop bitching/criticizing and start writing. Let's see what they can do. Otherwise they can kiss my ass.

And Shnozlak, you need to ask an adult native English speaker to teach you the difference between: "you are", "you're" and "your".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and something else.

If you think that Insomnia is "toilet humor" material, WHY TEH FUCK DID YOU LINK US ON YOUR FRONTPAGE MORON?

I guess your frontpage is advertising ground for useless/shitty sites that your buddies run.

And that's not the only thing wrong with this place.

Now you can go ahead and use your edit/delete buttons to put words in my mouth.
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the Gunz impression.
There's this one part that bothers me. Well, bothers me enough to comment about it:

"And that's the thing. Like most other Korean games, Gunz is not exactly mindblowingly different. It's not innovative. It's just the game that you'd expect from a country that plays both Counterstrike and Tekken."

Koreans in Korea don't play Counterstrike. At allt.
Only the ones in America do.

Another God likes the taste of Americanized Koreans.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
icycalm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another god needs to check his facts more.

We all have our faults and everyone of us will improve (except the GQ crew, of course, they are perfect). It's not like we've done this before you know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I guess I got that one wrong.

BUT!!

I do like the taste of Americanized Koreans.

Seriously.

Does anyone know why they taste better?

_Marcel Duchamp
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No MSG?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't that lead to stringyness if stored too long?

maybe the answer then is freshness?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
If you think that Insomnia is "toilet humor" material, WHY TEH FUCK DID YOU LINK US ON YOUR FRONTPAGE MORON?

GOOD CALL!!! Check the front page now asshole, I was trying to do you guys a favor.

I think it's toilet humor because of things like this:
icyclam wrote:
Have you watched a movie just to see Kate Beckinsale in a leather outfit? Ok, I'll admit to that last one.

Which sounds EXACTLY like something you'd read on IGN.

And this:
icyclam wrote:
Resident Evil 4 motherfucking is a good game... Your douchebag friends... So what the fuck did I just say?

You can't make it through three sentences without cursing! I guess that's different than IGN, but it is in no way better.

Listen man, I know you're trying to recruit writers for your website, and I'll tell you right now, the best way to do it is going to be to control that temper of yours and stop burning bridges. The title of this thread is meant to be ironic I know, but I'll reiterate the irony: You're not making any friends here.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in kind of a predicament right here, so...

icyclam may be excessively abusive on the forums (i.e. this thread), but those last two quotes were from me. And I don't think that it's toilet humor as much as it is me being honest with how I speak. I know it's not games journalism, but I'm not a journalist. I write about games in a way I'd like to read about games.

I mean, this is one of my favorite reviews ever. And yes, I did just link to Maddox.

I would really like to say, "You know, I'm sorry for the way we write," but I kind of don't want to apologize for it. icyclam's just an asshole when it comes to forums especially when his site gets called "toilet humor". But he loves games as much as any of you guys do. As do I. That's why Insomnia even exists. So, I guess now it's just, "sorry for Icy being a douschebag in the forums."

I have no idea what my point is right now. I think I just felt it was necessary to respond because sometimes people get into real shit on the forums, and that isn't necessary at all.

Wow, wtf, I sound like a complete pussy. Thanks, assholes.

_Marcel Duchamp
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:

I guess your frontpage is advertising ground for useless/shitty sites that your buddies run.

Just so you know it is not his site. He manages it and does a damn fine job. If you want to know about the links I have told him to use judgment on what the site is doing and how useful it is when linking. It took a bit of convincing for me to put up gamesarefun. The other half of it is link sharing.

I think you need me to PM you more poetry icyclam.

Also, don't directly insult other forums members.
icycalm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Also, don't directly insult other forums members.

How about I insult people INDIRECTLY? In all caps.

Bah, indirectly insulting people is insulting. To the people you are insulting.

So I'll just insult you like any good Greek would do, i.e. IN YOUR FACE.

YOU ARE ALL MORONS.

Will that get me banned? Or should I post a hentai pyramid and quote it a few times... Hmmm.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need a good tsunami so you can get all emo about life and philosophy and stuff again, man.

like, what's it all mean?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have time for that.

I'll be banned soon.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

time's just like, a construct, man. you've got to deal with the time in your mind before your mind can catch up with the times.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait wait. I TAKE IT ALL BACK. You called my bluff!

PLEASE put our banner back on your frontpage! We got 23282034324 hits within 24 hrs after you linked us!! Please please legendary SuperWes, I'll be your bitch and whatever!

And I'll be real nice too, never insulting anyone, never causing drama/controversy/actual discussion. PLSTHXVERYMUCHOKAYSORRYLOLIREPENT!

... ... ....

Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
PLEASE put our banner back on your frontpage!

ok, but please make a smaller banner.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this discussion controversial yet?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, just stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
icyclam wrote:
PLEASE put our banner back on your frontpage!

ok, but please make a smaller banner.

Hey shaper, you are cool. The banner is no big deal, I was just joking. You really should ask everyone to send you same-size banners. Check out how neat Marco's links look on DPS now that he's fixed them. I am sure that everyone would comply if you asked them to re-send you banners.

Also, don't you think that link-exchanging sucks? I mean when your readers follow one of your links, they are placing their trust in you that you will only recommend sites that you think are worth their time. Linking the craptastic GAF or your friends' boring sites might be good PR, but it's not very professional.

Also, your frontpage needs a pro makeover. And your mag needs a more accomplished layout designer guy. I mean you've been linked on MVT for christasake. Appearance is almost as important as content and, if you want your ideas and opinions to reach a wider audience, just as important.

I will stress all these things in my review but I am only mentioning them here because I care.

Also. You asked me a question a while back. I'll answer it now. The reason I assumed that GQ would be about news/reviews/etc. was because you were making a game mag and that's what game mags have traditionally done. You came on IC to say "I am making a game mag". You didn't say "Hey! I am making a revolushionary game mag y'all!" Also, I saw a Toups SH4 article in the contents and I knew Toups had written a SH4 review. I also saw an MGS3 article and, because MGS3 had just been released at the time, I assumed it would be a review. It might still be, I haven't read it yet. So there you go.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
Also, your frontpage needs a pro makeover. And your mag needs a more accomplished layout designer guy. I mean you've been linked on MVT for christasake. Appearance is almost as important as content and, if you want your ideas and opinions to reach a wider audience, just as important.

Yea, well, I mean, I can only work with the tools I have. I had someone working on a re-design for the masthead of the magazine, but I have not heard from him in over a week. I am more than willing to take help in this area.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
You really should ask everyone to send you same-size banners.

I was actually planning on working on this some time this week. Just been busy as hell.

And yes, we know that it would be nice if the front page had a better design, but nobody stepped up to do it so I put something together real quick. Check the FAQ. If you want it to look better do it yourself.

The people who do most of the non-writing stuff for this site have full time jobs, girlfriends or wives, and don't live off of our parents' money. We're doing the best we can with the time we've got.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i for one like the frontend. it's very simple. and simple is the new complex.

by masthead do we mean the listing of contributors or the nameplate (i.e. the title of the publication on the front page, which for some reason many folks now call a masthead...)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameplate.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bold retitling of sorts or just a polish? i'm not terribly down on the new courier-ish no smartquote thing, but it's not terrible either.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
a bold retitling of sorts or just a polish? i'm not terribly down on the new courier-ish no smartquote thing, but it's not terrible either.

I told him "Same yet different." But like I said I have not heard from him in over week.
icycalm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
we don't live off of our parents' money.

So Wes, can't you even get through a single post without a miserable attempt to slander me.

I am 27. My real parents are dead dude. DEAD.

I've studied/worked/researched for years. I have 3 degrees. I won 50,000 euros in Monaco a couple years back.

I can build websites in days, recruit people to my cause in minutes, write articles in hrs.

I am sorry you cannot balance your life as well as I can. I am really sorry. That doesn't mean you are allowed to slander others who can.

SuperWes wrote:
We're doing the best we can with the time we've got.

Of course. It's the same here. Maybe you need to motivate a couple more people then. Also, there's a couple things you can do to make the site/frontpage look better within minutes. That's all I am suggesting.

The font in the forums is too small for one. And not a very pleasant one to look at (IMHO). Why don't you go in your admin panel, click the EDIT STYLES option and play around with font types and sizes for a while. On the frontpage, resize the banners/ask people to send you new ones. Go to phpBB.com and check the hundreds of board styles they've got there.

As for the mag layout, it is a longer-term goal of course. Maybe it would help recruiting people to your cause if you actually, you know, pimped your mag on other forums. Like IC. Using GQ banners. Or maybe that's too... cheap for you?

Hey, I am only suggesting things here. I won't take it personally if all my suggestions are ignored. I just wanted to contribute something because this is a REAL game forum. Not like LPN where I spam all the time.

Also, I could definitely re-design your site and forums, but as you've noticed I have my hands full now. Why don't you guys ask Marco? He can do a great job once he decides to sit down and do something.

k, see ya soon
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
The font in the forums is too small for one.

I requested him to use small fonts. You are the first person I have seen note on it, but I will keep an eye open about it. I like the font still.

Also, about banners in signatures, yea we have some of that. sorta.
icycalm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'm actually failing to see what makes insomnia's toilet humor any more acceptable than IGN's.

Apparently, Endless Chris likes insomnia and will join The Cause.

As a friend of mine would say:

TOILET HUMOR ME MORE!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with you and "causes" ?

These things aren't that dire, you know.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are less dire causes.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: