The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official TGQ Virtual Console And Live Arcade Games Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
It doesn't.

okay, i guess i'm wrong!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Here's something I just realized. It would have made traditional business sense to have released Paper Mario 64 on VC a few weeks ago, to drum up anticipation for Super Paper Mario. But they didn't. This is coupled with the delayed release of Ocarina of Time, several months after Twilight Princess; should we take this to mean that the VC is actually a more profitable operation than new games, and instead of that traditional model they're hoping to drum up support for the VC rerelease? Will we be able to calculate a model of VC dates?

It also makes sense to drum up a second wind for the game a couple months after release to keep sales going for a longer peroid of time. I belive the term is that "the game has legs."

EDIT: I agree with Chris: Boom Boom Rocket is pretty weak. I kind of wish that the whole game worked like Hard Mode works where the arrows travel in arching firework-like paths. I also wish that the explosions were a bit more intuitive and that they glowed and blew up with the beats, not just on a line.

The description of "DDR+Fantavision" is way more accurate than I thought it would be. Glad I didn't buy this game.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's games!

Punch Out!! (not Mke Tyson's Punch Out!!) (NES, 1 player, 500 points)
Bonk's Revenge (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, 600 points)
Virtua Fighter 2 (Genesis, 1-2 players, 800 points)

Hella awesome shit here. I'll be picking up Punch Out!! and Bonk's Revenge. Is Virtua Fighter 2 any good on Genesis? Seems kinda silly to be playing the original 3D fighting game in 2D.

Also: Carcassonne, a board game, is due out on Xbox Live Arcade on June 7th. AWESOME! I've been waiting patiently to try out a good digital version of a geek-board game. I've always wanted to get into that whole culture, but I've never had anyone to play with.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Bonk's Revenge (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, 600 points)

oh shit yeah.

(i mean, i have a copy of the hucard, but i'm glad this game is on the virtual console because it is bright-colored platforming happiness.)

it's totally hot that european boardgames are showing up on live arcade. i assume you can play them online?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
it's totally hot that european boardgames are showing up on live arcade. i assume you can play them online?

If you can do it with UNO, you best be able to do it with Carcassonne.

Live Arcade is pretty rad. Sure it's got some crap, but I'm glad there's a place for stuff like this to be released on consoles.

In related news, I got Mortal Kombat 2 for the PS3 over the weekend. It's good, and it's a very well-done port, but I think overall I like MK3 better. MK2's still great and all, but it feels kinda barren after having played the shit out of Ultimate MK3 on the 360.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Is Virtua Fighter 2 any good on Genesis? Seems kinda silly to be playing the original 3D fighting game in 2D.

It's interesting to mess around with if you had a friend stupid enough to actually buy it, but no. It's only good from a technical aspect, and even then it's not much more than interesting.

ryan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Hella awesome shit here. I'll be picking up Punch Out!! and Bonk's Revenge. Is Virtua Fighter 2 any good on Genesis? Seems kinda silly to be playing the original 3D fighting game in 2D.

I didn't mind it. Actually, I think it makes a pretty good 2D fighter. It's more like VF Remix, with similar art for character selection and the lack of some characters introduced in 2 (Lion). You could get the Genesis Collection on the PS2 or PSP, both versions have this. The PS2 version is $19, and it has a ton of games Sega has released on VC and probably will release. That's the version I played, which I assume is going to be on par with the VC release.

Big Huge Games, of Rise of Nations/Legends fame, is bringing Settlers of Catan over to Live as well.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more downloadable games hit Xbox this week. A Gyruss remake for $5 and 3D Ultra MiniGolf Adventures for $10.

I'm hella interested in MiniGolf. I'm a MiniGolf fiend, but at $10 the demo will have to be pretty impressive.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased Punch-Out!! Without hesitation.

I have only played it for 8 minutes but it's pretty hott, still.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:

In honor of Punch Out!!'s induction into the virtual console I watched Rocky Balboa yesterday. It was damn good.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, can anyone explain what the hell the 1.7 PS3 firmware patch does? I read it about three times and all I get from it is that I can use my PSP for PS1 save games (for games I don't play!) and I can use rumble on controllers that I can't hook up to the system...

What exactly is this update giving us?

aerisdead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herpes.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Hey, can anyone explain what the hell the 1.7 PS3 firmware patch does? I read it about three times and all I get from it is that I can use my PSP for PS1 save games (for games I don't play!) and I can use rumble on controllers that I can't hook up to the system...

What exactly is this update giving us?

It'll say what it does here once they get it put up.

BUT

according to IGN, the update allows you to play the PS1 games you buy for the PSP from the Playstation store on your PS3 instead of only on the PSP. That sounds pretty significant to me! Also, they're adding in support for the rumble/force feedback in the Logitech wheel that you own.

AND

You've got a PS2 to USB controller converter, so you should be able to get rumble in BC PS2 games if you use a PS2 controller, right?

I don't know, it sounds like a pretty significant update to me.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
Herpes.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

attention virtual console thread: i finally finished splatterhouse. now i must play hard mode.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!

We should totally do that soldier blade score thing you suggested a while ago, dess.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah we fucking should. i should get that shit together.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfox 64- sorry, 'Lylat Wars' just came out in the UK. It's great, but the Gamecube controller seems to lack the nuance the 64 controller had. You don't have that fine grading of control with the analog stick- craft movements are either 'barely movin' or 'sudden lurch'. Is it better with the Wii classic controller? Please tell me it is!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the control stick(s) on the classic controller are a lot better - they were clearly designed with n64 emulation in mind - so i'd be surprised if it wasn't.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thnx
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but! on the classic controller you don't get the "wow this is better than the original" button mapping that you do with the wavebird.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would totally go for the soldier blade HS thread, but it would look like this:

Deets >>Dess>>>>>>>>>ME >:-(

Anyways, if anyone wants we should do it. Three people is enough to start! Actually, this is kind of making me wish that the Wii were more like the 360, because then we would be doing this w/o needing to create a thread for it.

JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating the thread is half the funnnn

Also I totally fucking suck at Soldier Blade. Your ship is insanely fast considering the size of the screen and it seems like everything that kills you is some gigantic sprite twice as big as your ship.

Edit: actually uhhhh nevermind. I went and finished the game after continuing a bunch, then started a new game and cleared it with one miss. The game is a lot easier once you know what it's going to throw at you! I'll check out hard mode next.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
aerisdead wrote:

In honor of Punch Out!!'s induction into the virtual console I watched Rocky Balboa yesterday. It was damn good.

-Wes

Man, that's amongst the worst films I've ever seen. It's worse than Crocodile Dundee 3.

So Starfox isn't much better with the Wii Classic Controller. I missed a lot of hits I used to be able to get no bother because you just can't get the same level of control with this stick. You can't keep the crosshairs still in one spot with the same accuracy and steadiness as you could on the 64, unless you just move the ship and let the crosshairs settle. I think I might write Nintendo a letter of complaint or something, because I'm not really happy about it.

Oh yeah, and the texture color tinting isn't emulated correctly, either. Remember how enemies used to flash red when hit? That's not in here. Instead, everything flashes or tuns black, instead. This means that there's one boss near the end whose weak spot becomes invisible when it should be glowing bright red...

Kororinpa and Excite Truck are fun, though!
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soldier Blade hard mode is really interesting. The enemies in stage 1 alone are more aggressive than the same ones in stage 6 on normal, the formations of popcorn enemies fire aimed suicide bullets at you when defeated, that kind of thing. Unfortunately, while I enjoy the increased challenge after finishing the game on normal, the higher difficulty just exacerbates the balance issue that one faces after dying - if you don't have a weapon pod, you're pretty much fucked, regardless of how many lives you have in stock. It was fairly manageable on normal difficulty, but... hmmm. I'll see how I feel about the game when/if I see what the last 3 stages are like.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo' shit today!

* Gradius III (SNES, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points)
* Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis, 1 player, 800 Wii Points)
* Battle Lode Runner (TurboGrafx 16, 1-5 players, 600 Wii Points

So I've got a few questions! Will Gradius III have the infamous slowdown? Is this Wonder Boy the same game as the Turbo one that came out a few weeks ago? Is Battle Lode Runner worth getting if I've already got Lode Runner on both the N64 and GameCube?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

battle lode runner is multiplayer lode runner. multiplayer. it is no lode runner you've ever played before. and it was one of the titles that made me jealous of the japanese virtual console.

what you need to know about battle lode runner: the single-player isn't worth touching. the multi-player, however, is great. it's based on bomberman's multiplayer, but with lode runner's mechanics. so if you can picture five lode runners running around, trying to blast the ground out from underneath each other without getting trapped themselves - and then they let the monsters in, who start chasing after whoever's closest - it is pretty crazy and pretty great. made for parties, like most hudson multiplayer titles, and the wii should suit it just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Mo' shit today!

* Gradius III (SNES, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points)
* Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis, 1 player, 800 Wii Points)
* Battle Lode Runner (TurboGrafx 16, 1-5 players, 600 Wii Points

So I've got a few questions! Will Gradius III have the infamous slowdown? Is this Wonder Boy the same game as the Turbo one that came out a few weeks ago? Is Battle Lode Runner worth getting if I've already got Lode Runner on both the N64 and GameCube?

Gradius III better have slowdown. I don't see why it wouldn't based on the emulation quality of the previous SNES games I've played, anyway. Wonder Boy in Monster World is the sequel to Dragon's Curse, basically.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Wonder Boy in Monster World is the sequel to Dragon's Curse, basically.

except dragon's curse came after monster world.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the game that was relased for the Genesis in the united states as "Wonder Boy in Monster World" was released in Japan as "Monster World III," while Dragon's Curse was a port of Monster World II and my head just exploded
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PCE-VC site bestows upon us a vision of the future, and it has Ninja Spirit and Blazing Lazers in it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazing lasers / gunhed bores me, but ninja spirit is still one of my favorite pce titles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the demos for Pinball FX and Eets last night. Eets was disappointing. I was expecting something really good and indie and instead I got The Incredible Machine mixed with Lemmings. Both of those are good games individually, but put together they're kind of meh.

Pinball FX is pretty great though. I'm a big fan of good video pinball, and this is certainly good. The tables feel like they're tilted toward the player a bit more than usual, making the game play a lot faster than real pinball, but aside from that the physics are really, really tight. I ended up buying the game ($10, maybe a bit too high), and one of the tables is a lot better than the demo one while the other is a lot worse. I tend to play video pinball a lot more when it's on portable systems, so we'll see how much this gets played!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, eets is bleah. i have no idea why it gets the kind of praise it does.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesssss, Ninja Spirit. This is the number-one TG16 game I wanted.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castlevania, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, and Shocker this week. The first two games I want to buy, but the last one... I don't know wtf it is. Anyone else know?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Shocker

Could "Shocker" maybe actually be "Shockman"? If so, this is what the orange guy says:

Quote:
Shockman
US Release: 1992
US Publisher: NCS
Developer: NCS

Known as Schbibin Man 2 in Japan, this title is very similar to the popular Megaman series. Allows you to choose between a boy or girl character, although both are referred to as "Shockman". A simultaneous two player mode evens out the package.

Wii Virtual Console Chance: Low to good
A decent action title that has some chance to be released in the US. However, its Japanese only sequel is substantially better, so let's hope that games like it will finally have a chance to come out here. NCS is still around, so it's possible a US publisher could look into that if necessary.

So it's a Megaman clone? Interesting!

EDIT 1: I also found this

Quote:
Shockman is actually the second game in the 'Schbibinman' series. The first title never saw the light of day in the West and is a neat little platform action game along the same lines as Megaman and Gunstar Heroes. Schbibinman 2 was released in the States as Shockman, and although it's graphically a big step up from the first title, most PC Engine fans generally agree that it's a weaker game, casting aside many of the neat ideas that made the first game so much fun to play.

However, for those of you that haven't played the first Schbibinman this is going to be less of an issue. When reviewed on its own, Shockman is an enjoyable romp that will keep platform addicts happy for a while. It's not a perfect game by any means, and if you've not downloaded the aforementioned Gunstar Heroes (or Contra/Probotector) then you should try those first.

What's odd is that the first guy refers to a Japanese-only sequel while also saying that this is the sequel. Odd. So does this mean that there's a Schbibinman 3 that's really good?

EDIT 2: And I found this!

Apparently there is a Schbibinman 3, and there's a lot more info on the other two games as well.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessssss, Ninja Gaiden is coming! Now as soon as Ninja Gaiden II comes out, I will be very happy indeed.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's games are Final Fight, Mighty Bomb Jack, and Ordyne. As usual, I have no idea what the hell the odd Turbo game is on the list, but luckily I can abandon the orange site now and use Nintendo's own site to figure it out.

Wait a minute, I guess it's not up there yet. Let me check the orange site.

Quote:
Ordyne
US Release: 1992
US Publisher: Namco
Developer: Namco

A shooter in the vein of Konami's Parodius, in the sense that it seems to be a parody of similar, more serious titles available. You play as a guy flying around in a strange carnival style airplane, shooting down all sorts of colorful enemies. Despite its cartoony appearance, the game is actually challenging. A fun diversion in a sea of more serious shooters.

Unlike many similar titles, your character can collect crystals from destroyed enemies to spend in shops he may come across along the way.

Wii Virtual Console Chance: Good to High

An almost surprisingly entertaining title. While it's unclear how interested Namco might be in a nearly forgotten title such as this, there's definitely a lot of other games worth ignoring in its place.

So it's a pretty good Namco shooter that's a bit like Parodius. Sounds alright!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
but luckily I can abandon the orange site now and use Nintendo's own site to figure it out.

Hmmm, I just clicked on a random game (Excitebike) to see how their set up was, and the very first thing they say to describe Excitebike is, "Face curvey curves..." Yeah, there is not a single damn turn in that game Nintendo.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall of Beef wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
but luckily I can abandon the orange site now and use Nintendo's own site to figure it out.

Hmmm, I just clicked on a random game (Excitebike) to see how their set up was, and the very first thing they say to describe Excitebike is, "Face curvey curves..." Yeah, there is not a single damn turn in that game Nintendo.

Ha!

Yeah, I like how they describe Ordyne as a First Person game.

Huh?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"curvey curves" is an amazing phrase.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Ordyne, I own it even though I don't own a system to play it on. So I just use emulation.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ordyne is good times. Had I a Wii, I'd probably get ahold of it.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone with a PS3 (wes!) Calling all Cars is out. I may play it this weekend.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Hey everyone with a PS3 (wes!) Calling all Cars is out. I may play it this weekend.

I played this over the weekend! It's good (but not great). I can see it being a lot of fun in multiplayer, but unfortunately my wi-fi kinda blows, so playing online, which is sort of the point of the game, wasn't possible. I know it's a small game, but it feels a bit too shallow. It's pretty and has a great sense of style, but the game's nothing more than playing tag in cars. Meh.

The VC Update for today is as follows:

Ninja Gaiden (NES - 500 points)
Ninja Spirit (TGFX16 - 600 Points)
Pac-Man (NES - 500 Points)

Ninja Spirit any good? Damn, I'm such a poser.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY FUCK. Ninja Gaiden AND Ninja Spirit? SHIT FUCK SHIT FUCK I need Wii points!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninja spirit is better than at least 90% of the games you own, wes.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've finally found something to put my last 800 points towards. I'm looking at you, Ninja Spirit.

I was having fun in Military Madness until the computer broke out the artillery. Ugh. I still love that game. Despite having bought a TG16 with a few games (Bonk, Dungeon Explorer, and some hockey game) for $20 off ebay some years ago, I never put much time into it. I was aware of Military Madness though, but its high price scared me away, so high-five to VC for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 11 of 20

Jump to: