The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Somebody give me a crash course in Cheesesteaks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Somebody give me a crash course in Cheesesteaks. Reply with quote

Because Teach for America just offered me a job today! I'll be in Philadelphia teaching underpriveleged kids for the next two years! The real world is going to be something else. I can't wait.

P.S. Seriously, does anyone want to tell me anything interesting about Philly? I've never been there. I know about the bell and the annoying sports fans and that it'll be cold and that's it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the Philly airport once and they had a nice USO...

The closest thing I know to cheesesteaks is that Penn Station out here in St. Louis rocks my face.

Perhaps you should watch a movie on this town..

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went to philly once. it was nice. a dude i knew taught down there for a while.

good luck and hope you don't get special ed.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
good luck and hope you don't get special ed.

My wife worked with special ed and esl kids for a year and found it exceptionally rewarding. That's why she's a nurse now dood.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my friends was stabbed by a special ed student while in one of these programs (the nyc version) and another, when she was a teacher, had students who had previously raped and assaulted other students and outsiders. all sorts of people get stuck in special ed, especially in underperforming districts.

why? loot. in nyc you get 11k for a normal student and something like 17k for a special ed student. so your bad behavior types get stuck with genuine special needs students and create a calvacade of shit. hence my "keep your head down and good luck" type thing because no one who is well-intentioned deserves to get fucked over like that.

esl is totally different.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be teaching "secondary english". I am nearly positive that means high school english, and not ESL in this case. If they give me special ed, they'll have to do it on the sly.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secondary english sounds like high school english.

unless they mean ESL under a different name. either way, good luck!

my wife does a lot of ESL work because [university x] lets in a lot of people into their masters of social work program (among others) who shouldn't have gotten in, especially foreign students. she's very good at it. i have no idea how she does it, but i am an exceptionally bad teacher.
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know the girlfriend of one of the ladies who runs food not bombs in philly.

so if you're ever really hungry i guess?

that's about as far as my knowledge of philadelphia goes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of Philly are you going to be in? I went to college there, so I'll admit my knowledge is kind of old and college-centric, but:

South St. is a good Haight-Ashbury-type area. It's worth a day just to see the sights, and if you like what you see, the parallel streets nearby have the even-more-alternative shops. If you like video games (maybe you do?!) you can buy import stuff, sticks and that kind of thing here.

Chinatown is only like four blocks square (and may have gotten wiped out by city planning at this point) but it has the essentials: cheap fresh vegetables, bootleg movies, foul-smelling candy and a big parade with kung-fu demonstrations on Chinese New Year's.

University City is really over-gentrified and silly, but it has a good grocery store and a better variety of food (try the food trucks!) than most places in the city. There's also a good but pricey movie theater and a fairly good arcade with motown on the jukebox.

The historical district is also pretty silly, but if you take the walking tour you'll walk by a bunch of neighborhoods that are actually interesting.

You should see Boathouse Row and the Schuylkill river park at least once every season, and a bunch of times in the spring and fall. There are bike trails farther up the river, which I've never seen myself but have heard recommended. The art museum and zoo are also in this neighborhood and easily bus/foot accessible.

All this is based on not having a car; if you have a car you will have a lot more options which I don't know about, but you will also need to be careful because the freeways are horribly designed and Philadelphia drivers are seriously trying to kill you, whereas public transit just gives you bruises.

As for cheesesteaks, there are several schools of thought. It's worth trying out a bunch of different places, because they really do taste different depending on where you go, just be aware that you can feel yourself dying in the hours after you eat one.

Only see the Liberty Bell if it's still on anti-terrorist lockdown, because it's hilarious that way but boring otherwise. People are not even kidding about the sports fans; they really are horrendous.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulkor wrote:
South St. is a good Haight-Ashbury-type area. It's worth a day just to see the sights, and if you like what you see, the parallel streets nearby have the even-more-alternative shops. If you like video games (maybe you do?!) you can buy import stuff, sticks and that kind of thing here.

So St Rx!

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you meant Philly and not really Cheesesteaks, but I made a [small] project a few years ago of eating cheesesteaks in different states.

I'm not going to go into detail, but the standout was at a Stuckey's in Bristol, Virginia, right next to the Tennessee border.

I'm pretty sure the cook didn't give a shit. I heard arguing to the effect that his shift was long over and he was off that day anyway.
It might have been the last thing he made that day, as he was on his way out the door.

Velveeta, fried onion, sliced beef, oversized hot dog bun. (Like the bun for a foot-long)

It was pretty bad, but ironically this is at least superficially close to how some say the genuine article is made.
Edit: I was confusing velveeta with cheez whiz.
I'm convinced that hot dog bun, especially an untoasted one is incorrect. Floppy. It fell apart.

Fuck the "genuine" article. I like the kind with peppers, provolone, tomato, lettuce, onion, beef, some kind of sliced roll.
dizzyjosh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask everyone you meet, especially old people and crazies, what up with MOVE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE)! **

where you going from? and T4A is pretty awesome, from all my friends' who've gone through it.

**i may give bad advice.
Bulkor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye wrote:
Fuck the "genuine" article. I like the kind with peppers, provolone, tomato, lettuce, onion, beef, some kind of sliced roll.

I'm with you on everything but the lettuce and tomato, since in my experience they get turned into grease rags before the steak is even in its little paper tray thing. Anything but a roll is just crass, chicken doesn't dice as well as beef, and provolone is the only real cheese option. You have to watch the chef real close to make sure they don't choose cheez whiz for you, though. Constant vigilance is your only defense.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, since I went to [university x] I can't help but think this is a jibe against me.

Though, you are right. They let me in there without even having to take the SATs just because I wasn't requesting any financial aid and all universities have quotas for foreign students.

dhex wrote:
secondary english sounds like high school english.

unless they mean ESL under a different name. either way, good luck!

my wife does a lot of ESL work because [university x] lets in a lot of people into their masters of social work program (among others) who shouldn't have gotten in, especially foreign students. she's very good at it. i have no idea how she does it, but i am an exceptionally bad teacher.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is University X NYU? Cause my girlfriend's just finishing her MSW there and from her stories there seem to be a ton of people (and not just international students) who have no place there at all.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, but you're sort of close.

msw tracks tend to have a lot of dedicated people; but without additional ESL support in a lot of cases i have to wonder how much of a disservice the university is doing to them.
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump (another) old topic, but I just wanted to say that I've been in Philly maybe six times, and not once have I had a cheesesteak, despite numerous attempts, which makes me just mad simply thinking about it.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Philly for two weeks and I fucking love the place. For those of you familiar with the area, I've been looking for houses/apartments with a couple of roommates and we'll either be moving into some place Northern Liberties or South Philly.

I have jogged for miles along the Schuylkill River. It is smelly but gorgeous, especially the neat Boat Houses.

Right now I'm leaving Temple U (where they house all of us TFA people while we teach summer school for training) at 5 45am everyday and getting back at 5pm, at which point I have to write and write and write lesson plans.

I get to ride a schoolbus for the next four weeks.

This is also to let everyone know why I am not playing videogames until August.

Peace out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: