The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, GTAIV
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: So, GTAIV Reply with quote

There's a trailer, apparently. dhex mentions it in his staff thread; however, I wanted a more general discussion of it here.

Lots of people are disappointed that the series is going to be set in New York AKA Liberty City again, mainly because people really liked the expansiveness of San Andreas and I guess going back to Liberty City implies a more constrained environment like GTAIII and Liberty City Stories.

Personally, I'm all for it. I've been saying that my ideal GTA game would take place in a world the size of San Andreas that's all a single city or metropolitan area and the possibility that GTAIV might actually conform to this ideal makes me all frothy. Now, if they go through with the other natural step for the series, that being actual consequences connected to the gameplay, I'll probably choke on my froth while I sleep.

I never really got the attraction of the countryside in San Andreas. Okay, so it was a nice change from the city streets and running over somebody with a combine harvester was pretty fun the first couple times you do it; after that, the countryside because something that you had to go through to get to the actual interesting parts of the game, a spatial chore of a design decision without the fun parts of an actual road trip, the most glaring being that you were doing it by yourself*.

So, GTAIV has a huge amount of potential to either be a fever-dream game on the same level as Dwarf Fortress or more of the same with prettier graphics and hopefully a better aiming system. We have almost no information to go on. The time is obviously ripe for unfounded, wild speculation.

* - Okay, so maybe you're playing it with some friends. Any game is pretty much fun when you're playing it with your friends for the same reason that road trips are fun, despite being comprised mainly of slowly-moving scenery and gas station bathrooms that run the whole spectrum of cleanliness.
purplechair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prediction is that there'll be multiple characters and BALTIC MAN is just the first one to be revealed.

I was hoping they'd take it outside of America again, although I guess it'd be a bit less credible to have your character going round and shooting everyone in London. Unless they were a 16-year-old. (SATIRE!)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will probably be the first GTA I buy since... GTAIII!

And, the whole time while watching that trailer I couldn't help but think "gawdamn I wish that was the city for Crackdown"

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
AJ 187

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slightly disappointed that this isn't using GTAII as a base, but otherwise it is looking really, really good.

I hope they make a PC version. Sad
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I alway wanted them to go back to one big city, I liked SA but I didn't really want it all over again. On the other hand, this city looks too much like New York so it means it may not be as interesting as the one in GTA3 which was designed for a game. So..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

And, the whole time while watching that trailer I couldn't help but think "gawdamn I wish that was the city for Crackdown"

The cunt in the trailer better be a fucking parkour fanatic or an escaped russian super soldier, because Rockstar can get fucked if they think I'm walking up fire escapes to get to roofs.
Joe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

The cunt in the trailer better be a fucking parkour fanatic or an escaped russian super soldier, because Rockstar can get fucked if they think I'm walking up fire escapes to get to roofs.

Take the elevator?
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

I'm confused as to how this video could change someone's mind. It just looks like GTA. But with a Russian immigrant!

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:

POST OF THE WEEK
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wes: it looked hot, pulls some koyanisquatti bullshit out of its ass but well and wasn't like hookers hoookers hooooooooookers. perhaps i'm easily led.

it's not like i'm going to buy a ps3 but a non dx10 pc version would find its way into my house eventually.

also: i call total bullshit on the top down gtas beyond their hilarious hari krishna line slaughters. the design is horrible and it's basically impossible to play. it's the "i only listen to vinyl" of games.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got into the GTA series, so I initially thought this was an older character getting out of jail. I was clearly wrong by the end of the trailer. Do the characters even go to jail? All I did was drive around and rock out after hating the targeting system and on-foot controls.

DeusJester said I was dumb for that. I miss Matt.
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex, I'm pretty sure there's a 360 version coming as well. I don't know if you own one of those or not, but that's always an option.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's on PS3 and 360, and if the past is anything to go on then we can probably expect a PC version sometime after it's released on console.

I was a bit disappointed that it was set in New York/Liberty City because New York is kind of an overused setting for anything at this point. The sense of scale is pretty amazing though, as it actually looks and feels like a real city from the trailer. The level of detail is impressive too, as well as the way the setting captures the vibe of New York.

We're going to have to wait another month before we get anymore information on the game. Game Informer has a ten page preview coming up in their May issue, so there'll probably be a lot of information on just how "different" things will be this time around.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
wes: it looked hot, pulls some koyanisquatti bullshit out of its ass but well and wasn't like hookers hoookers hooooooooookers. perhaps i'm easily led.

See, I don't see much that's implying it'll be anything but a prettier version of the original games. Sure, the trailer does koyanisquatti shit, but that doesn't translate to "game," all it does is let them get away with showing sped up gameplay that gets people doing frame-by-frame analysis.

GTA was never marketed as "the hooker game" by anyone but people's friends and Jack Thompson. The trailers are meant to get across their own feeling rather than the game's, and that's how Rockstar's stuff has always been promoted. The feeling doesn't translate to the product, at least not by design.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
See, I don't see much that's implying it'll be anything but a prettier version of the original games. Sure, the trailer does koyanisquatti shit, but that doesn't translate to "game," all it does is let them get away with showing sped up gameplay that gets people doing frame-by-frame analysis.

i
know
what
a
trailer
is
la
la
la

but what i don't understand is how you feel you're able to pull a coherent implication ("a prettier version of the original...") but the coherent implications of others ("some koyanisquatti bullshit out of its ass..." i.e. "that's cool") are somehow suspect. there being very little information one way or the other, this seems at the very least premature.

Quote:
The feeling doesn't translate to the product, at least not by design.

you seem to be implying the trailers are unconnected to the product. which may very well be possible, as it's early marketing.

i remember all the swaying ass in the vice city promos. there was so swaying ass here. it was almost too serious. that's a good sign for at least interesting-ness. i don't care if it does new stuff or just the same old stuff; if the quality is good and the environment compelling, then i'd pick up a pc version at some point if i can run it. i'm not really into mainlining novelty so how much or less different in mechanics it is from san andreas doesn't seem to be as interesting as the potential creation of a story/game interface that's just a wee bit more complicated, interesting and well-crafted.

otherwise you end up like those fucking crazy people in game forums who are like "WE WERE LIED TO STALKER WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A 1:1 RECREATION OF CHERNOBYL WITH ACTUAL RADIATION POISONING FROM THE DVD CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!"
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex will you marry me
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
it's the "i only listen to vinyl" of games.

No, this is the "i only listen to vinyl" of games.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you win. game over.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
dhex, I'm pretty sure there's a 360 version coming as well.

Not only is it coming out for the 360 too, there are supposedly going to be two 360 exclusive downloadable "chapters", featuring story and such that the main game is missing.

Which I am kind of pissed about. What kind of game developer starts promoting their expansion packs before the game itself has even had any real previews?
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
Joe wrote:
dhex, I'm pretty sure there's a 360 version coming as well.

Not only is it coming out for the 360 too, there are supposedly going to be two 360 exclusive downloadable "chapters", featuring story and such that the main game is missing.

Which I am kind of pissed about. What kind of game developer starts promoting their expansion packs before the game itself has even had any real previews?

Well, downloadable content is one of those things that's being promoted for the new systems so it's not really suprising to see developers hyping stuff that's in the pipeline for after release of their games. I'm kind of excited about it myself, so long as it's free or they don't charge a whole lot for it.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm not that pissed about the fact that Rockstar will be providing downloadable content.

It is more the fact that they have already deemed it to be exclusive to the 360. I don't own a PS3 (or a 360, for that matter) but considering both systems have the functionality for downloadable content, it doesn't make sense to me that they would make it 360 only.

Especially considering GTA's PS-orientated past.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they'll manage to cook something up for the PS3, especially if they end up charging whatever amount of money for it.

That's kind of funny, now that I think about it. In the next generation where console exclusivity only happens with first-party developed games, what will seperate the other AAA titles from each other will be what kind of exclusive downloadable content they can provide for a given system.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: So, GTAIV Reply with quote

Quote:
I never really got the attraction of the countryside in San Andreas. Okay, so it was a nice change from the city streets and running over somebody with a combine harvester was pretty fun the first couple times you do it; after that, the countryside because something that you had to go through to get to the actual interesting parts of the game, a spatial chore of a design decision without the fun parts of an actual road trip, the most glaring being that you were doing it by yourself*.

If nothing else, it gave you some nice "flyover" country, as well as acting as a buffer between a few area types.

I really think the GTA series, in its modern incarnation (despite the neat "SimAnt" aspects of, say, 2, I can never get past the super-limited "draw" distance an overhead view provides while driving) is really a singular achievement in gamedom; some of the richest attempts at "living breathing" (even if it has to be smoke and mirrors to some degree) and fun tactical adventures that use the same engine as the rest of the sandbox world.

I didn't like the RPG-ish aspects San Andreas was putting in there; I think there's an elegance to a character who, barring the financial resources or knowledge to get some hidden weapons, is largely the same at the begining of the game as the end. This in counterpoint to Samus or Link, both of whom live in universes so cleverly arranged around their abilities at a certain point in the story it makes my teeth hurt. (on the other hand, the territory and empire building can be a fun sidequest.)
Redeye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be good. Maybe he will get caught and end up on some kind of rehab/electronic incarceration plan. The rehab might be chemical partial lobotomy/aggression suppression (ala Clockwork Orange), maybe with a chip added. Have to evade/trick his enemies instead of fighting them. Throw in a tracking anklet to complicate things, and there would be some interesting maneuvering going on. Better learn all of the shortcuts, switchbacks, and hiding places near your home and place of work.

The antagonists could constantly try to push him out of his Legal Zone, he would try to find ways to make a fake signal (hire a hacker/etc.), then the enemies might find a way to send a fake signal from an illegal area or just jam his signal to get him arrested. Plus they could triangulate him and neccessitate the use of decoy signals. Or maybe a subgame where he can jam the signal himself to briefly evade opponents equipped with RDF. Gotta get away and back to Legal Zone before timer runs out, then reactivate signal.
To overcome the chemo-lobotomy/etc., he might experiment with drugs.

This would be the middle part of the story.

The beginning could be fairly standard, and the end is obvious.

For extra points he could try to build/run an empire on the side.

What fun.

Maybe not.

I got kinda bored of GTA:SA. I just hope they make this one tighter.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a list of things posted over at sb.net by Mr. Mech, it appears that my dreams have been realized/Rockstar is monitoring message boards and stole my idea, in that the city will be "slightly smaller" than San Andreas; except that it will be all city with no countryside.

Additionally, there aren't going to be any helicopters or airplanes and probably no boats -- everything is going to take place on the ground and on the streets.

There's loads of other stuff, including some movement away from the mission-based structure and more "freedom" for the player in terms of what they want to do -- it sounds like the whole city will be open from the start, for example.

I have to say that I'm pretty excited.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to miss the copters. The look of the various cities was realistic enough that flying around through them felt like a little bonus of something I don't get to do in real life. One of the more interesting non-violent bits.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From a list of things posted over at sb.net by Mr. Mech, it appears that my dreams have been realized/Rockstar is monitoring message boards and stole my idea, in that the city will be "slightly smaller" than San Andreas; except that it will be all city with no countryside.

i don't know what kind of focus groups they run, but it's a safe bet that all large design houses have on-staff "virtual psychodemographers" (aka SPIESZ)
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an interesting post on Guardian about how this game "still won't feature a female protagonist."

After reading that I now really, really want a female protagonist in GTA.

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first gta has women player characters.

in gta2 you're person-in-black, so i usually just assign person-in-black a female gender.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
After reading that I now really, really want a female protagonist in GTA.

You've got to admit that this would make pulling over and sexing up prostitutes to get your life back a lot more interesting!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:

Which list? (I'm forgetting what "sb.net" actually is URL wise)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

in gta2 you're person-in-black, so i usually just assign person-in-black a female gender.

Yeah, I meant one that is more story driven like they are in 3D. Not that there isn't a story in those, it just takes a back seat to pitting gangs against each other.

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying that they need prostitutes of both genders since GTA3.

Kirk - selectbutton.net. I'd cross post it, except that the sb.net forums have been crapping their pants recently. If they can get it up (heh heh heh), I'll repost it here.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

Yeah, I meant one that is more story driven like they are in 3D. Not that there isn't a story in those, it just takes a back seat to pitting gangs against each other.

Again, I've kind of shunned to the overhead view GTAs, despite their fine open-ended qualities, because of the driving.... but come to think of it, it's not the 3Dness per se that's constrained the GTA3+s from being linear/simply branching; it's the more elaborate cut scenes, dialog, and story. Some of that might be driven by what's implied by having a 3D world, but it's theoretically a different decision base.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really prefer a 3D GTA that played like the 2Ds as well. Let me choose sides, play them against each other, etc., all with a decent driving engine.

List! (stolen from Mr. Mech on the sb.net forums)

* The protagonist's name is Niko Bellic. (Likely to be Crotian in origin)
* Niko was persuaded to move to Liberty City by his cousin Roman, who claimed to be living a wonderful life there with two beautiful women, fifteen sports cars, and lots of money etc, but he was infact telling a lie in order to hide his own failures. Roman is the only person you know in Liberty City at the beginning of the game, and he becomes one of your major connections at the start. Niko is a tough character whereas Roman is friendly. Roman is heavily in debt and a lot of people are after him - he needs Niko's support. They are constantly bickering.
* Variations in the terrain cause realistic changes in the walking animation of Niko. The physics have also improved and character movements are more realistic.
* Multiplayer will exist, but it will be something that coincides with single-player and will not be an MMO.
* The MetLife building now bears the name Getalife, the Statue of Liberty is now the Statue of Happiness, and DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) is called BOABO (Beneath the Offramp of the Algonquin Bridge Overpass).
* In Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar have recreated 4 of the 5 boroughs in New York, as well as part of New Jersey. Broker is the GTA IV equivalent of Brooklyn, Manhattan is now called Algonquin, Queens is now Dukes, the Bronx is Bohan, and New Jersey is Alderney.
* There is only one city. There may be motorcycles, but there will be no planes, rollerblades or unicycles, and I wouldn't expect jetpacks or Harriers. Rockstar wants the city to feel realistic and fit the style of the character.
* The city is almost as large as San Andreas, but will not have any useless space like countryside or desert. Every space will be cram-packed with detail.
* The city will be highly contrasted between daytime and nighttime.
* Freedom is emphasized. You continue to take orders from mission givers, but you are not forced to spend your time being a slave to them. You can go see who you want to, practically when you want to. You just call someone up and see if they are available.
* The story unfolds in a number of different ways. R* is giving people more freedom, more choice and more sense of control over their destiny - the structure of the storyline is quite different to previous games.
* Contacts will be called from your cell phone. Its LCD screen has options for Phonebook, Messages, Organizer and Camera. Niko's Phonebook has options such as: City Contact, Docks Friend, and Cab Contact. The cell phone will allow the player to call contacts instead of meeting them in person, which should make the player feel more independent.
* Game Informer playtested the Xbox 360 version. It is to be identical to the PS3 version except for episodic content.
* The voice talent for GTA IV will be less big names and more suited to the characters. The soundtrack will also be geared more towards the feel of the city and less focused on big names.
* The game will load once and then never again, and not even during interior transitions.
* It is implied that there will be greater emphasis on pedestrian AI, and they will come with all sorts of temperaments. They will also be seen doing realistic things like smoking a cigarette, reading a book, sitting on a bench, etc.
* You will also see a lot more of pedestrian criminals being arrested by the police.
* Rockstar have now spent over 3 years developing the game, and Dan Houser compares the leap from GTA III to GTA IV, to the leap from GTA to GTA III.
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have a "Scarface" style ending where all your enemies are gunning for you just can't win, and then you have to watch your characters funeral. They haven't got the stones for that though.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to think of how some of those will be adapted to some of the traditional GTA conceits, like the way you could totally ignore traffic laws.

I just hope they don't further the San Andreas RPG character-building ideas. There's such an elegance in NOT having to power up your character... more Mario than Samus or Link.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtaiv is a weird acronym. it looks like just a jumble of letters and i as soon parse it as "gee tee ay aye vee" as "gee tee ay four".
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
gtaiv is a weird acronym. it looks like just a jumble of letters and i as soon parse it as "gee tee ay aye vee" as "gee tee ay four".

gta4

dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting how many of these gradually-becoming-depleted cash cow franchises (GTA, Tomb Raider, I'm thinking the next Zelda?) are starting to grab onto "addition by subtraction" as a design principle. Did everybody get bowled over by SotC or does it reflect rising development costs or what?

Ketch wrote:
They should have a "Scarface" style ending where all your enemies are gunning for you just can't win, and then you have to watch your characters funeral. They haven't got the stones for that though.
Or you end up controlling so much of the city you rank-up from Crime Boss to Real Estate Developer.

Then you run for mayor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
It's interesting how many of these gradually-becoming-depleted cash cow franchises (GTA, Tomb Raider, I'm thinking the next Zelda?) are starting to grab onto "addition by subtraction" as a design principle. Did everybody get bowled over by SotC or does it reflect rising development costs or what?

Well, like I said, I'm going to miss the aerial views.

Even more than the "broken Dodo plane" in GTA3 (since I had already played GTA:VC with its copters) it might make me think to the playing original Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast; I remember longing for some kind of helicopter or other way of seeing the world.

(I think Crazy Taxi is one of the first 3D "living breathing cities" with an emphasis on sreet layout and traffic patterns, which is why I was missing the time to explore it at leisure.)
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:

Probably the latter in terms of next-gen development, I'm guessing.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, manhunt 2.

http://www.rockstargames.com/manhunt2/index2.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
So, manhunt 2.

To PS2, PSP and Wii.

Man, Rockstar are awesome.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know...

I kind of really like mental asylums as settings.

DAMN! I didn't care about this game at all previously.

(side note: those character models looks like crap even for the consoles its heading for.)

Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gang, some of you may or may not have noticed that I've been mostly absent for the past week or so. That's due to a wicked bad thunderstorm we had that fried our router and knocked me clean off the internet. I haven't got it back yet but I'm still around here and there, though I don't really like posting on these forums from a computer that isn't my own.

I will, however, make an exception! New GTA IV news, of sorts. Game Informer's Andrew Reiner, so far the only journalist to see GTA IV in action, took questions from some of the fansites and answered them. There's twenty five total. I haven't read them all yet but he does confirm right off the bat that helicopters will be in the game, just not airplanes. Follow the link to read the whole thing.

http://www.gta4.net/news/3864/game-informers-gta-iv-qa--the-answers-are-in/

Oh, and if someone wanted to they could cross post this to my GTA IV thread at Select Button. That'd be real nice of you. Thanks, I'm out.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New 14 page preview from Official Playstation Magazine UK. No scans yet that I can find, except for three new screenshots.

http://www.gtagaming.com/images/gtaiv/opmuk/1.jpg
http://www.gtagaming.com/images/gtaiv/opmuk/2.jpg
http://www.gtagaming.com/images/gtaiv/opmuk/3.jpg

Summary follows.

Quote:
* The main character, Niko Bellic, is in his mid-thirties "on the run from a dark past". He's not customizable as it was possible in GTA: San Andreas, but you'll be able to style him with different outfits. The reason for this is that after they got Niko's physics and look "dead right", it was difficult implementing features that will allow the customization of his body.
* The borough, Staten Island, was not added to the game because the team decided that it would not be a fun location to play in.
* Missions are more realistic, longer, varied, and will have multiple possible outcomes.
* R* is still deciding whether bridges will be used to cordon off certain areas. Dan states that it's not a block for block recreation.
* This time round they're trying to make Liberty City feel more fluid, and there not being any "dead spots" or "irrelevant space" as you drive through it.
* There's no more loading screens when crossing islands or entering interiors; certain interiors are see-thru and you can move through them seamlessly.
* The mob will be featured in GTA IV, just not as lead characters.
* "Virtually none" of the characters from the previous games are returning, and a lot of them are dead anyway according to Dan.
* More side-activities are promised, and pedestrians and traffic flow is different depending on the time of day.
* Pedestrians are a lot more intelligent, realistic and diverse, using mobile phones, cash machines, eating snacks, reading news papers and interacting with each other through laughter, threatening remarks etc.
* Your mobile phone can be used to set up deals or arranging ambushes - you can call the shots. More on this promised later.
* Driving and shooting is more organic, fluid, and precise.
* Despite earlier rumors, the game isn't trying to be photorealistic, but things such as artificial intelligence and the behaviors of pedestrians reacting to things such as a weapon being pulled out in front of them has been worked on a lot.
* As stated before, there isn't any planes, but players will be able to pilot helicopters. The reason being that there is not enough room for flying, and crossing the map will be too fast this way. One airport is confirmed to be in the game.
* The goal of GTA IV is to make the city look more populated than anything else people have seen before in a game like this.
* Houser states that no-one has attempted to recreate a location of this size, and with so much detail, ever before.
* The use of Sony's SIXAXIS controller for the PlayStation 3 has not yet been decided on.
* As expected, there's no more pop-ups of buildings and trees as we've seen in the past.
* Work on the game started right after the release of GTA: San Andreas in November 2004.

Nothing concrete, but missions with "multiple possible outcomes" sounds promising. Pop-in is finally eliminated, supposedly. No load times, yay. "Driving and shooting is more precise and organic", what does that mean? The game is still six months away, so I imainge we won't hear anything definite about how it controls until closer to release. Probably still being fine tuned and such. Development started right after the release of San Andreas, I wonder how much time was spent in preproduction. I'll post scans when they become available.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
* The borough, Staten Island, was not added to the game because the team decided that it would not be a fun location to play in.

ha. art imitates life.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:

ha. art imitates life.

So I take it Staten Island isn't that interesting in real life either?

Also, le scans!

http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/cover.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/1.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/2.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/3.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/4.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/5.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/6.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/7.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/8.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/9.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/10.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/11.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/12.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/13.gif
http://www.jdrshq.com/opmuk/14.gif
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playstation official magazine wrote:
SONY'S GREEK ORGY MGS LEGO HAZE ON DRUGS HI-DEF ADV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: