The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lucky wonder boy (in monster world)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: lucky wonder boy (in monster world) Reply with quote

in the mood to play some wonder boy in monster land, i tried to find a copy of bikkuriman world, the anime-licensed pc-engine port of the game. the cheapest i found it was for fifteen dollars, which - i realized - is about half the price i could get the new sega ages monster world ps2 collection for.

i havn't made up my mind yet, but the monster world series comprises a bunch of excellent games.

a brief history lesson: ages ago, the world of wonder boy - a kid in a loin cloth who hurtles through a fast-paced version of super mario bros. - was torn asunder, split into hudson's adventure island series and sega's monster world series. the monster world series looked inward and found for itself a new identity.

wonder boy in monster land is a wonderful platform adventure game that plays next to nothing like the original wonder boy. in this game, wonder boy (his loincloth replaced by a diaper) braves a monster-infested world, purchasing weapons and armor, boots that increase his speed, and liquor from a grinning lizard barkeeper. in spite of the upgrading, it's a fast-paced game - an arcade release. and the real hilights are the bosses - pajamaed demons who swoop down at you from the air, hopping mushrooms who seed the ground with their mushroom babies. it got a home release on the master system, and - with the bikkuriman license - on the pc-engine.

monster world II - the dragon's trap - is set immediately after monster land and is in fact a cadashalike. you begin by playing through a lite version of monster land's final dungeon, then fight a lite version of monster land's final boss. at its death, the monster curses wonder boy, transforming him into a dragon. now he needs to wander a big, consistant world, slaying dragons and transforming into new forms, which grant him new abilities. it's a very ambitious and playable game. it too received a master system and pc-engine release.

monster world III is, honestly, my least favorite game in the series, not as interesting as monster world II or as playable as monster world IV. it mimics the original monster land's gameplay but not its fast pace, and involves a lot of shuffling back and forth between areas. it's a mega drive and genesis title, and was released for the pce super cd-rom as "dynastic hero".

though it is styled similiarly to the previous game, monster world IV is something else entirely. it's a linear platforming adventure game (with a hub world, where the plot develops) for the mega drive. it is gorgeous and amazing, dressed up in an arabian nights aesthetic. the protagonist, arsha, has a small blue companion creature she can use to float, double-jump, and more as the game permits. it's a lovely game, and i wouldn't mind replaying it, as i've never quite finished the last dungeon.

there's also wonder boy III - monster lair (monster world III is wonder boy IV), an arcade title that's more similiar to the original wonder boy than any of the monster world games. it's an autoscrolling platforming shooter - in fact, the second half of each stage has you fly and shoot enemies. it has two-player co-op, and isn't a bad game at all. it was released on the mega drive and (i think) genesis, as well as the pce super cd-rom.

so that's the series. all of these games are on the sega ages disc, in various forms (wonder boy in monster land, for example, can be played in its arcade original, master system, game gear or sg-1000 versions), plus the original wonder boy. i am going to mull over buying it, and everyone else can talk about what great games these are.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really, really need to get the Monster World Collection. You mentioned in another thread that the Konami Arcade Collection for the DS is the "rare compilation that gets everything right," which sounds like the perfect way to describe Monster World collection. The extra features consist of stuff like original scans of the sheet music for several games, multiple superplays of Monster World and design documents. It's also $30 or so, which is ridiculously cheap for an import game.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
You really, really need to get the Monster World Collection. You mentioned in another thread that the Konami Arcade Collection for the DS is the "rare compilation that gets everything right," which sounds like the perfect way to describe Monster World collection. The extra features consist of stuff like original scans of the sheet music for several games, multiple superplays of Monster World and design documents. It's also $30 or so, which is ridiculously cheap for an import game.

I really, really want it! BUT. I don't really want to play the games in Japanese unless I have to. Any word on whether they include the various versions for ones that came out in different regions? Also, how Japanese-intensive are they? I've never played a Monster World game outside of a few minutes here and there, but I've always wanted to.

-Wes
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
JasonMoses wrote:

I really, really want it! BUT. I don't really want to play the games in Japanese unless I have to. Any word on whether they include the various versions for ones that came out in different regions? Also, how Japanese-intensive are they? I've never played a Monster World game outside of a few minutes here and there, but I've always wanted to.

-Wes

Apparently it's incredibly thorough and has like EVERY version of monster world ever.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have every version, but it has most of them. It's missing the european version of Super Wonder Boy in Monster World, and the PC-Engine version of Monster's Trap, among others, but it's remarkably thorough otherwise. As far as the language-barrier is concerned, the only game that isn't in English that I'd recommend hunting down the translation patch for and playing seperately is MWIV. Other than that, you should be fine, wes.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! Just bought it to make myself feel better about spending $200 on John Mayer tickets.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was super excited about this game's release for a long time. And then the same thing happen with the Treasure Box, I don't feel compelled to get it right away. I mean, I will get it and love it (wonder boy iii!!!) but it's going to be when I want to play it. I have quite a list of games I'm working on right now and it will be a while until I get to it.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

important question!

what's the manual for the monster world disc like? because i've been flipping through the enormous manual for the treasure box after playing alien soldier. it has a complete manual for each game on the disc, full color and with lots of illustrations. is the monster world manual like that?

other crucial question: ps2 saturn pad compatible?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just stalling. It obviously has both of those things.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that's a "yes"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure, but it can't be any less complete than the Treasure Box. I think I've seen reviews that do state these things are true. Tim Rogers'?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean by works with the Saturn PS2 pad that it has a custom controller scheme just for the saturn pad? Because it's obviously going to work with it.

Also, yeah, now that you mention it I'm a bit curious about the manual too. I love what they did with the manuals.

Seriously, the Treasure Box is really an amazing thing. It's the criterion of games. I think that criterion (janus games!) should get into this market.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
I'm not entirely sure, but it can't be any less complete than the Treasure Box. I think I've seen reviews that do state these things are true. Tim Rogers'?

writing obnoxious; did not read.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he specifically sez the manual is lovely in that review, man.

Also:

Shaper, I'm considering "collecting" the Sega Ages titles. I certainly want to pick up Monster World, Decathalete, Dynamite Deka and Panzer Dragoon, for example.

They're almost all OOS on Play Asia now though ;_;
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
Tim Rogers'?

Man, fuck Tim Rogers. He didn't link to TGQ on his new site that I didn't even know existed until I saw that link right there just now.

I'll unfuck Tim Rogers if he adds a link.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know it existed either until I was linked by someone who I won't name for some reason or other.

He might have mentioned it on Selectbutton? But I quit it so I wouldn't know.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He indirectly asked me for help with this website. Which is to say he bitched to me about how hard writing wordpress templates can be, and hoped I would say "I will write it for you oh great and wonderful Tim Rogers who has clearly had hundreds of japanese girlfriends".
JamesE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi aerisdead I was looking for this thread

There was a Wonder Boy strip in the European Sonic the Comic, two series. It was pretty bad but you know, if you're a Wonder Boy completist it can be found online via googling "STC archive".

I'd like a collection disc of games that are like decap attack. Kid Kool,.Psycho Fox, that magical top hat adventure one with the bizarre Dizzy the Egg cameo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goodness.
Quote:
writing obnoxious; did not read.

I was under the impression that actionbutton was some kind of joke? I really don't like Brendan Lee's writing enough to actually think that, but there you go.
toups wrote:
t’s not as if you can’t make a shooting game that can handle a wide variety of ships without being “broken”. R-Type Final, for instance, admirably handles this task.

Goddammit toups.
toups wrote:
On the other hand, I’d reckon that at least Guitar Hero does a decent job teaching you fingering techniques and rhythm necessary to play a real instrument. It really is kind of revolutionary in the ways in which it’s mind-blowingly better than most of the bemani series

The ways in which Guitar Hero is "revolutionarily better than the bemani series" have little to do with gameplay differences and more to do with context and presentation.
Brendan Lee wrote:
[music games] are one of the most purely cynical forms of entertainment in existence.

Uh huh. To clarify my disagreement: criticizing that music games are "mavis beacon teaches nothing" is retarded as hell, because they are, usually, good and interesting arcade games that are usually well-designed, and which also do actually improve the player's abilities in some way. DDR is a friggin' weight-loss wonder. Playing 14-key beatmania increased the coordination in both my hands a hell of a lot in noticeable ways when I took up piano lessons again a year or two ago. Drummania actually develops the foot-hand coordination necessary to pay a real drum kit, among other playing skills. A guitar-playing friend of mine says that Guitar Hero is pretty good as far as improving finger speed and endurance goes, etc.

Yes james, you win.

Last edited by JasonMoses on Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
JamesE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the fact you didn't quote me mean I win?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[music games] are one of the most purely cynical forms of entertainment in existence.

i could see that. it's a lot like nintendogs. (heterotopia! simulacra! inauthenticity!)

that's making too much of a big deal out of it, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay. i bought it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
I didn't know it existed either until I was linked by someone who I won't name for some reason or other.

He might have mentioned it on Selectbutton? But I quit it so I wouldn't know.

You were apparently invited to write for it, actually?

Unless Tim is a dirty rotten liar (sometimes he is I guess?)

Also the site doesn't "officially" exist yet.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
toups wrote:
On the other hand, I’d reckon that at least Guitar Hero does a decent job teaching you fingering techniques and rhythm necessary to play a real instrument. It really is kind of revolutionary in the ways in which it’s mind-blowingly better than most of the bemani series

The ways in which Guitar Hero is "revolutionarily better than the bemani series" have little to do with gameplay differences and more to do with context and presentation.

Except that the note patterns of guitar hero actually resemble playing actual music, whereas you're pretty lucky when this happens in guitar freaks.

There's actual thought put into Guitar Hero's patterns... nearly every Bemani game I've played has felt arbitrary by comparison.

Of course I'm not a bemani expert or anything. I've only played a few titles. Drum Mania is probably the best.

DDR is still awesome though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
He indirectly asked me for help with this website. Which is to say he bitched to me about how hard writing wordpress templates can be, and hoped I would say "I will write it for you oh great and wonderful Tim Rogers who has clearly had hundreds of japanese girlfriends".

Sad

Actually, that was more like an invitation to, I don't know, talk about something. The WordPress template was actually coming along fine at that point. I just thought, hey, I haven't talked to Alice Lee for a while. Let's see what's up.

It's kind of disappointing to see this kind of remark Sad

superwes, i would link TGQ, really, i would, though it seems dessgeega thinks the writing on my new new website (not actually officially announced yet; still an early prototype) is "obnoxious", which would mean, if i linked you guys, then you'd get an influx of readers and potential forum posters that would find my writing interesting, and that might cause something of a conflict. at this point, i can only put up a link to you guys if dessgeega asks me personally. only then would i feel like it would be a good move beneficial to all. Sad

anyway i just came into this thread to talk about monster world, though now, i don't know.

yes, kumar, the manual is gorgeous!!
dark steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

please, 108, put up a link. it would really mean a lot to me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you're going to roll your eyes it doesn't come across as too sincere . . . . . . Sad
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

i am asking you very sincerely.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim that banner's gotta go. if i had time i'd draw you one (for money, you leech Wink ), though yeah.

edit--on second thought, i don't know...it's got a kind of lo-fi rugged charm to it maybe.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
JasonMoses wrote:
toups wrote:

Except that the note patterns of guitar hero actually resemble playing actual music, whereas you're pretty lucky when this happens in guitar freaks.

Toups, Guitar Freaks is the shittiest bemani game ever. It has 3 buttons, so there's no way to make the note patterns resemble anything other than random arbitrary nonsense. I think I've already written about why it sucks elsewhere, but the fact that the guitar sounds that play when you hit notes are synthesized pretty much sums it up. The only reason they even make new entries in the series any more is because of session-link play with Drummania. Playing a shitty game with someone else is still fun and all that.

Good note patterns like you've described are in pretty much every other good music game out there. I'm not sure how to prove this without taking individual video evidence or some shit, which - I don't think anyone cares enough to actually make that worthwhile.

I'm really considering writing something for TGQ on the subject, though. I get the feeling that it would be filled with way too many broad generalizations to be of any merit, however.

Also Tim I liked your monster world collection review.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

108 wrote:
It's kind of disappointing to see this kind of remark Sad

Sometimes we get disappointed.

(read: I've just been in a pissy mood for most of this week)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompers po pable wrote:
tim that banner's gotta go. if i had time i'd draw you one (for money, you leech Wink ), though yeah.

edit--on second thought, i don't know...it's got a kind of lo-fi rugged charm to it maybe.

it's made by rerorero (badmspaint.livejournal.com) and that dude is cooler than shit, so i think we'll do just fine with it Sad

i'll mess around with links, et cetera, later this week, when I'm not relaxing on the sofa with a beverage and some wonder boy (hence the revisiting this thread)
aerisdead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

I wouldn't say he was dirty and rotten...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

I wouldn't say he was dirty and rotten...

Actually, it's true that I meant to invite you. I just didn't send the email yet. I was thinking for some reason that you wouldn't bother unless there was something up there to show, first.

There's a rather specific mission statement behind this thing. If you'd like to hear it, go ahead and email me or something. Try the fancy email address listed on the site.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:
JasonMoses wrote:
toups wrote:

Toups, Guitar Freaks is the shittiest bemani game ever. It has 3 buttons, so there's no way to make the note patterns resemble anything other than random arbitrary nonsense. I think I've already written about why it sucks elsewhere, but the fact that the guitar sounds that play when you hit notes are synthesized pretty much sums it up. The only reason they even make new entries in the series any more is because of session-link play with Drummania. Playing a shitty game with someone else is still fun and all that.

Good note patterns like you've described are in pretty much every other good music game out there. I'm not sure how to prove this without taking individual video evidence or some shit, which - I don't think anyone cares enough to actually make that worthwhile.

Really?

I mean -- I've played Pop'n Music and Beatmania and I just... wasn't really feeling it. If anything those games are too complex and counterintuitive to actually feel like playing music.

This isn't to say that they're bad games. Just that Guitar Hero does something different with the idea that's pretty revolutionary.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guitar Hero does something different with the idea that's pretty revolutionary.

If you want to articulate what that is, exactly, that would be lovely. I've played Guitar Hero a bunch and it doesn't feel especially different to me from a gameplay perspective, outside of being more accesible, difficulty-wise.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reviewed this disc in my new blog!

there's actually not a lot there that's not in this thread already, since it pretty much delivered everything that was promised, and the original post was basically the first draft of what i wrote about the games. i just wanted to link my new blog again. it's relevant!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are the video options still all included (remove flicker/leave flicker, and 480p and the like?)

dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: