The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Credit Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Free Credit Report Reply with quote

One of the little things about games that can really tickle me is how the credits at the end of the game are presented. It can really make finishing a game just -that- much better. I can't decide whether my opinion of the game that precedes the credits influences how I feel about the preceding game or vice versa, but based on the fact that this list of memorable end-game credits corresponds to some of my favorite games in recent memory, there has to be some sort of correlation, right?

So, here are a few highlights:

1) Pikmin - After you beat the game, you are treated to a montage of all the different 'enemies' in the game in action, and a brief description of how they function within the game's ecology. It really adds a lot to the conflict inherent in beating the game (I would argue that manipulating the Pikmin to disrupt an environment is roughly analogous to slaying the majestic colossi in Shadow of the Colossus).

2) Elite Beat Agents - No special reason here other than it is another excuse to rock out to the songs from the game just one more time. "We're not going down...WITHOUT A FIGHT!"

3) Meteos - A zoomed-out version of the regular game, with the launched meteos exploding up into the credits on the top screen. There's a lot of room to play with, so there really isn't any danger of losing, but the tiny blocks and huge playing space make coming up with combos really enticing and challenging. As an especially nice bonus, the blocks you shoot during the credits go towards your totals in the score, and the rare elements you need to unlock new planets are much more common here.

4) Katamari Damacy - I saved this one for last because the credits put the entire rest of the game into perspective--important because I would argue that 'perspective' is one of the game's important themes. The end credits place the Prince on the Earth, this time rolling up all the world's countries (and a few non-nation land-masses like Greenland and Antarctica). It forces you to consider the idea of nations as things/nouns/signifiers/whatever just as arbitrary as everything else you have rolled up during the game, as though nothing that humans name is really anything more than just that: a name (and, in this case, a flag).

What other end-game credits make you not want to turn off the game just yet?
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Monkey Ball! Banana collecting through the 3D letters making up the names of the creators.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The credit sequence is the only reason I play through Altered Beast, it's better than the actual game that comes before it. Being able to punch the names off screen makes me feel better about having to plod through an experience that is the height of banality.
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interactive end credits in the secret ending of Star Fox are pretty awesome.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warioware wii has the best credit roll of any recent game i've played.

in star soldier gamecube, you actually shoot your way through the names of the staff for bonus points. any game where you continue playing through the staff roll (monkey ball included) is pretty swell.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Altered Beast

hell yeah! altered beast. i had forgot about that. the game is like a paul ws anderson movie only the ending actually tries to redeem what came before by letting you attack the people who made the thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: