The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Drive Unlimited

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Test Drive Unlimited Reply with quote

So I read a review of the PC version of Test Drive Unlimited, and the description of the free driving sounds positively wonderful. In short you are on the island of Oahu, nothing is artificially locked off, 1600 kms of cities, forests, rural areas, beaches etc. etc. Now I usually steer clear of driving games, due to the fact that I have no interest in cars, speed or racing, but I love to drive in the countryside in real life. Why don't I do that then? My car is awful and it costs money and I don't live in Hawaii.
Painfully long story short, has anyone got this on any platform? Are the graphics good enough (let's face it, graphics are win in this situation) for the experience? Is it worth my hard earned dollaridoos, considering I will not touch any part of the game with objectives?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that there are many PC gamers out here unfortunately. Well, not many with high end machines. The only driving game that I can think of which is similar (though, admittedly not much) is Road Trip PS2. It’s a ChoroQ game technically, but a bit better. It’s basically a GTA sandbox game with fairly simple graphics and all the people in the town are cars. The game is gigantic and you spend a lot of time driving. All the “rpg” fights are races in faux RC sense, and you upgrade your car in a very simplistic manner. It’s really silly and fun and involves a whole lot of country side driving.

I know that doesn’t really answer your question. I should mention that if you plan on getting this, there are a few Road Trip games (GC/GBA as well), but only the PS2 one is the good one. And please, ignore the cover. Most of the shit on the cover isn’t even in the game.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't TDU released on 360 and ps2 as well? To be honest, it would probably be better on a console. I have a big tv, for immersion's sake, and you wouldn't have to press discrete arrow keys to control a big fluid car.

Shapermc wrote:
all the people in the town are cars

Yeah that kills it for me a little. I had a look at Road Trip around the web, and it seems cool, but as a gamey game. Can you block it all out and just drive? The obstacle, as far as I can tell, is that to get a decent free driving experience, you have to upgrade your car. To upgrade your car you have to embrace the car-pg elements, which I guess includes collecting coins, completing quests, and talking to other cars, which takes realism, tears it up and sets it on fire. Also the graphics and art seem a little basic.

I guess it seems what I'm looking for is some vicarious driving, like a Microsoft Drive Simulator, and wanna know how close TDU gets.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the game kind of throws realism out the window.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road Trip is one of the best games released for the ps2. It has miles and miles of sprawling countryside, underwater exploration, sky exploration, weather and time change, emotion, suspense, a little horror, alien conspiracy, soccer, golf, curling, ski jump, mountain climbing, home customization, santa clause, sponsorship, snotty Lancia Deltas, rainbow roads, coin collecting, photo booth collecting, kidnapping, wind power, the wild west, recognizable family traits in cars, monster truck tires, betrayal, email, pleasant music... and you can just ignore all that and drive for hours down the open highway and never see the same thing twice.
aerisdead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Test Drive with my 360 and sold it without putting it in the machine. Every once in a while I debate if that was the right choice, but I'm not losing any sleep over it, really.
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNixon wrote:
underwater exploration.

Hot. I can seriously never get enough underwater gaming.

Also, another plus for console drivin': (the possibility of) vicarious driving under the influence!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: