The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I download H-L2 from Steam and it crashes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i died the first time as well. (at the end of hl2)

Quote:
it's the fucking shite alien levels that precede it.

yeah, no argument there. definitely got silly near the end there for valve.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finally downloaded the half-life 2 demo off of steam.

it freezes while loading the first chapter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gurble blurble glabber churble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Man, I don't know what you're talking about. I got to that part and had no idea what to do, and eventually you just die if you sit there too long.

Well, yeah. When I say you can sit there "forever" I don't mean it literally. Perhaps I should have said "Can sit there for freakin' ages".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saga continues.

Steam sent me a 10-step check list of things to try. First, they said update all your drivers. I got the latest driver from ATI and updated my BIOS from Dell. HL2 kept crashing. (I don't think I updated my sound driver, because I found it kind of confusing... more on that later.)

What finally worked was when I put "-nosound" in the launch options. (Interestingly, characters don't move their mouths when they're supposed to be talking, under this setting!)

Removing "-nosound", the game continued to run after I used the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to turn the Hardware Sound Acceleration Level to "Basic" (down from "Full").

So, now the game runs! Couple of weird issues, though...

The highest settings for shadows and a couple other graphic effects were no longer available. I'm not sure when that happened... I was fiddling with a lot of things, reinstalling drivers, etc. Also, every light source has a little white bounding box thing drawn over it, which you can see through walls. That, I'm pretty sure, only happened after I turned down the sound acceleration level... although I have no idea what that has to do with sound, so I might be wrong.

Also, when I tried to shut down my PC, it crashed and gave me a blue screen full of text... Turning it on again today, I got a warning message that there was a serious problem, and it has to do with my video driver.

Since I have the latest driver from ATI, I thought about going back to the Omega driver... But it also seemed likely that I should replace my sound driver first!

I guess I have an integrated sound chip on my motherboard, but I'm not sure. My sound "device" (according the DirectX Diagnostic Tool) is SigmaTel Audio HDAUDIO\FUNC_01VEN_8384DEV_7681SUBSYS_1 which means exactly fuck-all to me!! The driver is sthda.sys version 5.10.4991.0000 with "Provider: SigmaTel." However I could find no drivers or software support on SigmaTel's web site, and although I did locate sthda.sys on my computer with a simple search, it, nor anything called SigmaTel, shows up in my Add or Remove Programs window. There IS something called a High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB835221, but when I started to remove that, it made a big fuss about how all these programs might not work, you know, it made a much bigger deal of things than usual, so I got the willies. I've downloaded something that looks like an audio driver from Dell, but I haven't tried to install it yet since I don't know what to uninstall first.

And that about brings all of you up to date! Now I know why PC gamers don't have time for girlfriends. JOKING!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Omega Drivers yet?

Also, man, that sucks. This is one of the main reasons I hate PC gaming.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
david

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks, I tried them back when they were recommended, but they didn't solve the problem, so I got rid of them and installed the latest thing from ATI as part of following Valve's 10 steps to sobriety.

I might re-install them, but like I said, I'm not sure if I should be more worried about the audio.

And why would the latest ATI drivers not work with HL2? Hell, why would any ATI driver since 2004 not work?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because ATI updated things and HL2 didn't?

david

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. (You're saying it did, right.)

On the up side, I played HL2 for two or three hours last night and it is AWESOME. Best sci-fi setting I have seen in a game, by far. I love the decaying urban structures and industrial back lots, train tracks, etc. It brings it really close to home. I love the desolate beauty of that fog-shrouded coast, the wandering punctuated by violent confrontation. I am a convert to understanding the brilliance of advanced physics models in games. Was HL2 the first game to do this kind of thing really well? I love the pace, the setting, the openness within the constraints of a linear journey. I can't believe I already own Episode 1 (not to mention Half Life Source), ready to play as soon I am.

It's funny how everywhere you go, people are like, "my goodness, THE Gordon Freeman!" While they're talking to me, I'm usually stabbing the table with my crow bar, or using my gravity gun to toss around the crates in their secret insurgency bunker. They don't even care! I'm Gordon Freeman!

On another note, anybody know about Hammer, the Source level builder? Is it free?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see the research the proves that Alfonso Cuarón is a huge Half-Life 2 fan. This will be doubly nice since it will bring the circle full round because my roommate's boss told him to make the game they're working on look like Children of Men.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was walking the dogs yesterday, I found myself pondering the following:

It would have been très facile to disable the jump key and put Freeman in auto-sneak mode for the cutscenes. Why do you think they didn't?

And what does this mean for the future of the player's side of the bargain in games?
dmauro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Why do you think they didn't?

Because they're not jerks?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would they disable the jump key, etc?
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
why would they disable the jump key, etc?

They do it in Gears. Part of the reason is that they want you to concentrate on the story, and the other part is that they want to keep a steady tone of realism throughout the game. What they do is script the story scenes so that you've got a long hallway to walk down while the story goes on, and they cut back the player's actions, because he's putting down his gun and talking into his lapel. It forces the story to come across as somewhat realistic while not totally taking the control away from the player. If they didn't disable the player's actions, everyone would fuck around while the story takes place and it would look silly. By scaling back the player's actions they're able to keep a solid tone throughout.

It's kind of annoying, but it works better than any other option they had.

-Wes
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But dude Gears of War doesn't even have a jump key.

Last edited by Mister Toups on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If they didn't disable the player's actions, everyone would fuck around while the story takes place and it would look silly.

can't have anyone looking silly while playing a video game, now can we?

Smile

ok, i'm just being a dick, but this seems like such small potatoes. [insert poorly reasoned characterization of japanese desire to sublimate all individual actions to the state, attach this via "poisoning the well" fallacy to all console makers and then head out for lunch and maybe pick up stalker.]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The restrictions during cutscenes in Gears of War is honestly my biggest problem with the game. It always drives me crazy when I start walking so slowly and I'm thinking "if only this were a cutscene proper at least I could press start to skip the goddamn thing."
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
If they didn't disable the player's actions, everyone would fuck around while the story takes place and it would look silly.

can't have anyone looking silly while playing a video game, now can we?

That's the thing. It seems like a really bad decision, and it pisses you off a lot while you're playing, but the decision to do it that way wasn't arbitrary. It's easier to just let the player have total control and not limit their actions. That means there's no doubt they did it on purpose, and I would imagine that there's a beta somewhere where you can run down an extremely long hallway, running, and shooting, and teabaggin' the air during every story section. And I'm guessing that version kinda sucks.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you, I might prefer that version.

I appreciated the trust given in Half-Life 2 and as a result, acted during the cutscenes, paying attention to people that were talking to me, checking out documents on desks when they started rambling, etc.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
For you, I might prefer that version.

I appreciated the trust given in Half-Life 2 and as a result, acted during the cutscenes, paying attention to people that were talking to me, checking out documents on desks when they started rambling, etc.

Interesting. I usually tried to jump on the furniture and see if I could screw up the physics engine to get my character stuck in the corner before the game finally opened the door and let me go into the next room.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, the door should be locked and then opened by a character, not the game "unlocking" something for you. Although I seem to remember HL2 being pretty good about that.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Ideally, the door should be locked and then opened by a character, not the game "unlocking" something for you. Although I seem to remember HL2 being pretty good about that.

Pshh. A character = the game.

My point was that - while it's not the best storytelling mechanic in the world - it's probably better than some other options. The best option is really do make sure that all of the in-game story sequences add something to both the game's story proper and provide information that must be applied toward a decision you'll need to make, but I realize that that's not always possible.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Pshh. A character = the game.

True; it's also an abstraction, giving the appearance of independent action.

I mean, games rely an awful lot on illusion. Pointing out that it's all illusion doesn't mean it can't work to the benefit of telling a story and (perhaps more importantly) making the player feel like they're playing a consequential role in it.
dmauro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I usually tried to jump on the furniture and see if I could screw up the physics engine to get my character stuck in the corner before the game finally opened the door and let me go into the next room.

SuperWes wrote:
I would imagine that there's a beta somewhere where you can run down an extremely long hallway, running, and shooting, and teabaggin' the air during every story section. And I'm guessing that version kinda sucks.

Certainly HL2 benefits more from cutscenes than GoW, so do you think that HL2 would have been better if you weren't able to toy around with the physics while waiting for a conversation to end?

Anyways, I also found myself watching the facial animations and looking at fine details during cutscenes and just generally role-playing Freeman during cutscenes.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
I usually tried to jump on the furniture and see if I could screw up the physics engine to get my character stuck in the corner before the game finally opened the door and let me go into the next room.

SuperWes wrote:
I would imagine that there's a beta somewhere where you can run down an extremely long hallway, running, and shooting, and teabaggin' the air during every story section. And I'm guessing that version kinda sucks.

Certainly HL2 benefits more from cutscenes than GoW, so do you think that HL2 would have been better if you weren't able to toy around with the physics while waiting for a conversation to end?

Anyways, I also found myself watching the facial animations and looking at fine details during cutscenes and just generally role-playing Freeman during cutscenes.

See, the conversations in GoW realize that they're kind of annoying, that's why they last 30 seconds at the most, where a scene in Half Life can last up to several minutes. The point is that I fuck around in Half Life because I'm given me the freedom to do so. It breaks the feeling of immersion, and it's sort of forced to do so because the verbs built into the controls are "move" and "shoot," with their subset consisting only of minor variations of each. Remove the verbs that have nothing to do with storytelling, and you'll end up with something much more real feeling.

It obviously depends on what the goal of the game is, but I feel like it works well in Gears given its context and implementation. If the sequel features hallway cutscenes that are 2 minutes long I'll have no choice but to agree with you, but there's a reason they last as long as they do.

There's also the technological issue that showing the player-character realistically saying his lines while still allowing a full range of actions would be hell from an animation standpoint. Half Life benefits in this area by using the First Person perspective.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish i could get this game to run. i feel like i'm missing out on something important.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Scratchmonkey, I felt compelled to play along with the game during the cutscenes. It's basically like Valve is handing you the script and saying, "Here, this is your part -- improvise." I chose to stay in character, though I can understand why some would feel like they've got to fuck around because, well, the game lets them.

One thing I don't get is why some people would actually consider this to be a flaw. I mean, I talked with a guy who said he didn't like this because when he jumped on people's heads and shit it killed the suspension of disbelief -- because the characters just continue to speak to you as normal without stopping to ask why the fuck are you jumping on my head? -- and I was pretty much like ... Well, duh? I wouldn't hold my own ridiculous behavior against the game.

Also, about this game freezing on everyone -- I thought it was freezing on me for a while, too, but it turned out I was just being impatient and the game was actually loading. (I only had 512mb of ram and a dirt cheap video card in the machine I first played it on.) The sound would lock into a short loop and the graphics would hang for upwards of 20-30 seconds, if not a full minute, but then everything would suddenly snap into place and the game would run smoothly. Are you guys sure that this isn't all that's happening?

Last edited by antitype on Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that bugged me was when I first started playing on my friends computer, I was dicking aroudn and smashed a glass bottle on some chicks head. She just turned around and told me to knock it off.

Now imagine if she actually collapsed, and a pool of blood started forming on the ground around her. Nothing else happened. No punishment, no reward. Imagine people doing that. It would be like Valve saying "This is a real world. Don't fuck around."

Alternatively, it would probably also cause some people to just run around and smash bottles on peoples heads, it would still be more immersive. Imagine if one of the guards saw you do it and just laughed!

In conclusion, HL2 could have done somethings better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough. To be fair, I think the "Hey, knock it off" response is meant more as a reaction to having cardboard boxes and such chucked at her. Then again, I threw a few bottles (pretty sure they were plastic) in the faces of guards and they'd naturally whip out their stun batons and run toward me, which pretty effectively says don't fuck around. Unless you want to. For example: when the guard orders you to pick up the can and throw it away, I like to toss it at him -- because I'm just so defiant. And then I run away like a sissy. He stops chasing you after a while...

So yeah. It's not quite perfect -- they could've spent years fleshing out all the possibilities of interaction, I'm sure, but even as it is there's not much else quite like it.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I like your little story with the can. But the guards reacting like that is to be expected. I think people would have been really shocked if people were actually knocked out or even killed. I mean, I don't expect the game to be super duper interactive, but those little details could have made it even more memorable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly, but then giving you the power to kill any NPC would effectively give you the power to kill Alyx or anyone else, yeah? And I guess that could happen and it'd just be game over (TIME PARADOX!!!) but that's kind of silly. Not that there's anything wrong with silly, but. Like Scratchmonkey says, it seems to have something to do with trust, to a certain extent -- Valve are kind of hoping you're not going to try to kill everyone by smashing them over the head with a toilet. They want you to play along. You're on a set, and you're given a certain degree of freedom, but there is a script.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True! I suppose they hit a pretty happy medium.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superwes, I think I'm simply more impatient than you.

Also, the suggestion for having NPCs collapse after being hit with a glass bottle is something I would have loved to see in the game. It would just sort of be a funny one-off for the most part, but it would have been nice. The "hey stop it" reaction to having a cardboard box tossed at them is still better than what most games are doing I suppose.

I would really like to play through this game on a nice computer someday because I experience that freezing problem whenever I hit auto-saev points, and it takes FOREVER to start the game and load a level. It would be nice to have it just work. If the 360 port runs smoothly I'll probably grab that.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I just realized that I always considered what people are considering "cut scenes" in HL2 "talking points."

Cutscenes involve removing control from the characters. In Gears there are talking points and cutscenes: the cutscenes are where the game actually takes control from you, the talking points are where you have the restricted control or where your just talking while doing other things.

A game is only as serious as you're willing to take it though. I took HL2 pretty seriously.

antitype

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
You know, I just realized that I always considered what people are considering "cut scenes" in HL2 "talking points."

You're right. I never really have felt comfortable with calling them "cutscenes". Specifically because there is no cinematic 'cut' happening, and it all takes place organically, in real time. I like "talking points", that works.

Also: the word "cutscene" always makes me think of Ninja Gaiden.
dmauro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good post
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting sick of that guy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the hell is that

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Soviet army PBF gasmask which happens to look very similar to the headgear worn by the Combine soldiers.
antitype

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be this be the thread for bitching about Steam?

I never had much trouble with it before, on my old computer, but now I'm sitting here watching it update for hours and hours, usually just freezing at some percentage. Most often it seems to have no trouble jumping right up to 28-33%, and then it fucking draaaags the rest of the way... up to 98% once, and then freezes again.

I just want to play Episode One.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the steampowered.com forums because i know there's a fix for the getting stuck on update thing. i think you have to delete a settings file or something along those lines.

also episode one is HAWT (taunt taunt)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I bitched too soon. Just uninstalled everything, reinstalled, rebooted. Everything seems to be going swimmingly this time and Episode One is now installing from the disc. I guess I'll just let Steam download HL2 and whatever else I've got in the background. Oh! I'll bet I can actually run Lost Coast on this thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: