The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dhex
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this one's a bit thornier.

mother may loose custody of fat 7 year old
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

less thorny?

Quote:
Mom Taught Children to Fake Retardation
--------------------

By Associated Press

February 27, 2007, 2:32 AM CST

TACOMA, Wash. -- A woman admitted Monday that she coached her two children to
fake retardation starting when they were 4 and 8 years old so she could collect
Social Security benefits on their behalf.

Rosie Costello, 46, admitted in U.S. District Court that she collected more than
$280,000 in benefits, beginning in the mid-1980s. Most was from Social Security,
but the state social services agency paid $53,000.

Costello pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud the government and Social
Security fraud. Her son, Pete, 26, pleaded guilty earlier this month. Federal
prosecutors in Seattle said Monday authorities had not yet located her daughter,
Marie.

According to the plea agreement, Costello began coaching her daughter at age 4,
and later used the same ruse with her son. He feigned retardation into his
mid-20s -- picking at his face, slouching and appearing uncommunicative in
meetings with Social Security officials.

Social Security workers became suspicious and uncovered a video of Pete Costello
ably contesting a traffic ticket in a Vancouver courtroom.

Pete Costello is scheduled to be sentenced May 11 and faces from six months to a
year in prison, as well as $59,000 in restitution.

Rosie Costello is scheduled for sentencing May 17. Her standard sentencing range
was not immediately available, but in the plea agreement she agreed to repay the
government.
Copyright (c) 2007, The Associated Press

weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How many boys could successfully receive seven blowjobs in an hour? Surely even the adolescent male at the peak of his sexual prime needs at least a few minutes to reload."
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame society!

ETA: This is only funny if you read to the end of the article (Note: Still may not be funny).

Last edited by Scratchmonkey on Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why don't you write a social contract!?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"How many boys could successfully receive seven blowjobs in an hour?

i have never been so ready to die for my country.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing it for Science ITT
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think five in one day is a reasonable limit, based on my sadly constrained sample size.

anyway, i had to share this oldie because it was an extra jolt of wtf with my breakfast tea:

abortion limits democratic voters.

that's a tempting case to make because it seems intuitive, but iirc familial loyalty patterns (i.e. democratic kids stay democrats as they age, etc) have increasingly become an unstable predictor of political affiliation in one's young adulthood. (18-25)

now if someone wants to argue this case for why the number of live birth downs syndrome cases has dropped remarkably, then i don't think you have much to object to. but political affiliation is a lot like religious affiliation - it changes over time, sometimes drastically and sometimes glacially.

the case that stephen levitt and his partner made about abortion causing crime drops is also intriguing, though that's been challenged for obvious reasons, but it has that same kind of intuitive "sense" that makes me suspicious (because it makes sense on a gut level, which is generally bullshit when dealing with statistical correlation).

one prediction i'll make is the next five years are going to suck, crimewise. why? because we're hitting the 20 year mark of the mantatory minimum storm that came from getting "tough on crack" during the mid and late 80s. that's a lot of relatively nonviolent people who had their lives taken from them and tossed in with a far more violent population. what one might call, like, bad karma and stuff.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.modestneeds.org/explore/mission/

i'm going to do some background checking on this group. on the one hand it seems interesting, but on the other something is weird and i can't quite put my finger on it.

edit: apparently i am not entirely insane, perhaps:

http://netsquared.org/modest-needs-foundation
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSC is totally nonsense shit, but this story is too good / creepy to pass up:

two legos good, four legos better
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't text your cop when you want to cop from your dealer.

but hey, suspended with pay not bad there public schools.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the unvarnished truth which i will repost right here:

http://standingonthebox.blogspot.com/2007/02/your-guido-field-guide.html

Quote:
Monday, February 26, 2007
Your Guido Field Guide

I’d like to explain my feelings about Guidos.

You see, because this blog has made its “bones” on the back of an unwitting New York Guido populace, people tend to think I don’t like Guidos. This is generally true. I don’t like the vast majority of them. This is because the vast majority of the aforementioned populace have no regard for anyone but themselves, thereby making my job more unpleasant than it needs to be.

Guidos crave attention more than the rest of us do. They need this attention because they’re narcissists who want to feel special at all times. They inherently know they’re not better than the rest of us, but they require constant feedback from the gallery in order to continue deluding themselves into thinking they’re somebody. This is why they spike their hair and wear such absurdly garish clothing. It’s why they wax their eyebrows and take steroids and patronize tanning salons. They do these things because they need to stand out. They do these particular things because they have no other way of standing out. They have no other way of standing out because they’ve never developed the discipline to become good at anything.

So they shout at us instead.

“Real” Guidos – the hardcore ones who’ve mortgaged their lives for the almighty club - don’t do anything the world would consider useful. Think about the various societal pursuits we consider “useful,” then try to remember if you’ve ever seen a Guido employed in any of these professions. Have you ever seen a fellow apply hair glue and wax his eyebrows before performing surgery? Mind you, I’m not referring to Italian-Americans as a whole, here. Italian-Americans are wonderful people who’ve contributed massively to the building, maintenance and defense of the United States. As a group, they’ve done as much – or more – for the common good as anyone.

The way I see it, there are three types of Guidos.

1. The “Good” 25+ Guido. This is a guy with whom I can get along. Though I have serious reservations about his Saturday night entertainment choices, he’s a productive member of society who’s not out to make a hemorrhoid of himself in public. He understands the advantages of saying “please” and “thank you,” and would prefer to leave the club quietly and make it home in one piece so he can go to work the following Monday. He is what you might call a worker-Guido. I have friends who fit this description. I call them Guidos to their faces and they laugh, because Guido, to them, is not a pejorative term.

2. The Under-25 Guido. All Guidos younger than twenty-five can be considered “bad.” This is because they’re too confused to understand that being a Guido is counterproductive and fraught with tackiness. As a bouncer, I have no time for the arguments of younger Guidos, because they have nothing to tell me. Ever. Whatever they do is wrong, because they’ve proven themselves incapable of independent thought by dint of the misguided presentation of both their hair and clothing. They’re given something of a pass because they’re too young and stupid to know any better. This leeway, however, is accompanied by an outright forfeiture of their right to my attention or concern, because I refuse to waste either on their ilk. Younger Guidos are rarely considered dangerous when attempting Guido mischief because, due to their relative inexperience and pre-steroidal lack of physical aptitude, they can usually be frightened into capitulation.

3. The “Bad” 25+ Guido. This, arguably, is the worst type of Guido. He’s rude, crude, abrasive and violent. Most people outgrow these tendencies, out of financial/legal/professional necessity, by the time they reach twenty-five or so. This gentleman’s failure to do so has landed him in prison on more than one occasion. His criminal record has kept him from making money legitimately, so he sells lots of drugs, carries weapons, and lacks the ability to have normal relations – sans violence and drink-drugging - with members of the opposite sex. Like most of us, he wants money and he wants sex. Unlike us, he believes he can procure both only by force. When he comes across someone who refuses to play his game – a competent bouncer, for example, or a police officer – he becomes confused and says stupid things. This is an angry blog primarily because of this Guido. He is, however, the reason I have a job in the first place.

I hope this helps.

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on that note:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mohammedalsahaf.livejournal.com/

Start from the earliest post and go through.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha!

Quote:
I recently ran across an experiment in which people were asked if they would prefer to make $50,000 a year while everyone they knew made $25k, or $100k while everyone made $200k. Assume a constant value of money for both scenarios. Guess which option the majority chose?

from an email i got today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflation would mean the $50,000 is more sensible. But if that didn't occur, the $100k.

Last edited by Dracko on Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
This would be funny if it wasn't so jaw-droppingly incompetent.

The joke, that is.

Wait... is this real?

Jesus shit if it's not. I'm staying the FUCK away from Boston.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm pretty sure this is not real.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

though i honestly don't think i would be that surprised to find out it had been true.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Affolter admitted that under the product name Beyond Bomb, he made a range of pot-laced treats with names like Buddahfingers, Munchy Way, Rasta Reece's, Puff-a-Mint Pattie, Keef Kat, Stoney Ranchers, Puffsi, Trippy, Pot Tart, Budtella and Toka-Cola.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that weird story about the boston cd players placed in churches to go off during mass (they were "obscene" in some unnamed way) was, uh, weird.

unrelated: sex doesn't sell?

Quote:
The big turn off

Mar 1st 2007
From The Economist print edition
Using sex to sell a product does not work—particularly for women

SEXUAL allure is often hinted as being the prize for buying this or that. Yet advertising wares during commercial breaks in programmes with an erotic theme can be tricky: the minds of viewers tend to be preoccupied with what they have just seen and the advertisement is ignored. New research now suggests that even if the commercial is made sexually enticing, people still fail to remember it.

Ellie Parker and Adrian Furnham of University College London devised an experiment to test three ideas. The first was to confirm that men and women alike would struggle to remember the brand of a product that was advertised during a break in a programme that contained sex. The second was that commercials that had an erotic element would be recalled more readily than those that did not. Finally they wanted to know whether people would remember the advertisement more easily if its theme contrasted with the programme into which it had been inserted.

They recruited 60 young adults and divided them into four groups. The first and third groups were treated to an episode of “Sex and the City” called “Was it good for you?” in which the four female characters try to ascertain whether they are good in bed. It includes kissing, foreplay, nudity and sex scenes, and a discussion of the merits of sex, sexual failings and homosexuality. The second and fourth groups were shown an episode of “Malcolm in the Middle”, about the second-eldest of three boys raised at home in a dysfunctional family. It contained no such titillating material.

During a commercial break in the screenings, the researchers showed the first and second groups a series of six advertisements for products including shampoo, perfume and beer, all of which played on sex. The third and fourth groups were also shown a series of six advertisements for the same type of products that did not employ eroticism. They then asked their subjects about what they had seen. The results are published in the March issue of Applied Cognitive Psychology.

Those who had watched “Sex in the City” could remember little other than the programme. They were less able to name which brands had been advertised than were the groups that had watched “Malcolm in the Middle”, whether or not the advertisement tried to be sexy. Even when the researchers prompted their recall, by naming the type of product that had been advertised, the viewers of “Sex in the City” failed to remember what they had seen, compared with the groups that had seen more mundane scenes.

To test the second hypothesis, the researchers compared the recollections of those who had seen the advertisements that used the promise of sexual allure with those of the people who saw advertisements that did not titillate. They found no significant difference between the two groups. There was, however, a difference between the sexes: men were more likely to remember sexual advertisements (albeit not the brand advertised) whereas women were more likely to remember non-sexual advertisements.

Finally the researchers tested to see whether the people who had watched “Sex in the City” combined with non-sexual commercials and those who had watched “Malcolm in the Middle” combined with sexual commercials remembered what was being advertised better than those shown more homogenous fare. Again, they found no significant difference between the two groups; this time, men and women reacted in the same way.

Earlier work has suggested that sex and violence in television programmes deter people from paying attention to advertisements, but speculated that this may be overcome by using sex in the commercials as well. The new work suggests that this view is mistaken. It would appear that sex does not sell anything other than itself.

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a liberal/libertarian blogger cookoff

pretty funny, despite julian sanchez's cheesy intro. (though i like how they were all able to agree that the sauteed heart of glenn reynolds would make a fine ingredient)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the day i got deported from the u.s.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biosphere roundup:

http://dhex.wordpress.com/2007/03/04/biosphere-microgravity-patashnik-and-substrata/

i try to figure out what makes a modern ambient classic something other than a goofy-sounding joke.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texture, probably.

I've liked what I've heard o biosphere. They've done nice work with Deathprod.

top 10 orwellian moments of 2006.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i vote for ambience.

i keed.

no, i think it's the ability to build a mood as well as a texture; something that captures the attention on several levels.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more on prosper.com from someone i know:

Quote:
I don't know for sure, but I'd guess they sell bad debt off to the collections company for pennies on the dollar. So once something went to collections, I think I'd just write it off.

Think of it in terms of junk bonds, and what Milken taught us about high yields and high risks. Junk bonds go bad sometimes, and the amount of assets left to pick over may not cover the bond issuers liabilities to vendors and employees much less bond holders and everyone else in line. ...but the high yields can and do make a diversified high risk investment worth it. So, anyway, I'm not going to think of what I lend in terms of what happens when I get stiffed--I am going to get stiffed! I know that. I've planned for it.

I ran a screen from their "marketplace performance" page (http://www.prosper.com/public/lend/performance.aspx). I used 01/01/05 to 01/01/07 as the "loan origination" date and 01/01/07 as the "observation date". ...and here's what I got.

Performance metric AA A B C D E HR
Average lender rate 10.36% 12.39% 15.22% 17.21% 21.02% 24.50% 24.13%
Rate adjustment (interest and fees) -0.02% -0.05% -0.38% -0.39% -0.54% -2.45% -4.41%
Net defaults -1.07% -1.63% -6.24% -6.00% -7.72% -26.60% -46.68%
Prosper servicing fee -0.50% -0.50% -0.48% -0.48% -0.48% -0.44% -0.40%
Average annual return 8.78% 10.22% 8.11% 10.33% 12.28% -4.99% -27.35%

Yeah, the table didn't line up when I cut and pasted, but you can get the idea here. The average rate for taken bid for a borrower in risk category "D" was 21.02%, you subtract 0.54% for fees and--get a load of this--7.7% of that you would have lost to defaults. You subtract Prosper's fee on top of that, and you get a 12.28% return for that risk class over the course of two years. ...which isn't bad.

That's essentially what the credit card companies do. They make loans to a whole bunch of people with risky credit--knowing that some will default and charging a high enough interest fee to cover the defaults. If you can't make enough loans to diversify your risk--I don't think you should do this--you're just gambling. But as a way to diversify away from the stock market and commercial real estate for me, personally, this is a pretty good way to do that without going to a much lower returning floater--what, you get about 8% for like an EVF? or--GOD FORBID-- going to government bonds. ...even corporates are paying very little and, once again, for diversification purposes alone, I think this makes sense.

So anyway, if you've got $5,000 to invest and you loan $1,000 to five different people, I think you might be takin' a pretty big chance there, you could get unlucky and get hit with a couple of bad apples and you lose. ...but if you loan $500 to ten people or better yet, $200 to twenty-five people? I think you might be on to something. Anyway, I'd want to pick and choose the people I loan to too. ...and I find that loaning to a "group" thing compelling. So if I was going to loan, I'd average in a small amount when I saw a really good candidate, but I don't think I'd loan more than 5% of the total of whatever I was going to loan to any one person.

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at some point in the future i'm going to do a meat roundup with three cuts of london broil prepared identically (same weight, same size, separate beer baths of course but other than that...) - one regular supermarket cut, one "organic" cut and one cloned beef cut. and then i want to do some double blind taste tests on people i know (and myself, after everyone else has had a taste) just so the next time i get into some needlessly heated argument with someone about food purity i can say "well, my research indicates..." and hand them the abstract.

plus i'm curious about cloned beef but not willing to pay the apparent premium.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no real good news in the subgenius custody case. long story short: judges do not have a sense of humor; people are fuckfaces; divorce is ugly.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Please don’t be offended that I’m writing this to a bunch of people at once, I really do wish I could write individually but since this is an update I figured it would be easier just to update everyone who’s written in asking about my case at the same time.

Basically, although I did win the case, it’s now going to appeal. Orleans County has, of course, offered to pay all the expenses for my ex’s appeals case, while I still have to pay for my appellate lawyers, which it turns out are different from regular lawyers and require a new $10,000 retainer to hire. I’ll still be represented by the same firm, Lipsitz, Green, Scime, Cambria, but a different individual will be handling the case.

We go before the Fourth Circuit Appellate Division on June 2, and then they will make their decision within 30 days of that. I am cross-appealing to ask that the parts of the decision forbidding me to make or keep SubGenius art inside my home, travel with my husband for his job, and homeschool my son, be struck down. Until then, my son has to stay with my ex, though I am supposed to get “extended visitation.” So far, I have not yet been able to actually access that extended visitation, as my ex says it will take a court order in writing to make him comply, and all we have is a verbal order. I hope that will be straightened out soon.

In the meantime, I’m getting some desperately-needed R&R with my husband, as my mother-in-law generously gave me a ticket to come see him in England, where he’s been sent for work. I’ll be here in the UK for the next three weeks, then back to the daily grind in New York, waiting in place for the decision to come through and trying to spend as much time as I can with my son.

There was an incident that occurred during that brief day when I had won the case, but the appeal had not yet gone through, that is very hard for me to write about. The principal of my son’s school, Mr. Penrod, of Lyndonville Middle School, actually disobeyed my written and verbal instructions to keep my son at school so I could pick him up and have at least one night with him before the appeal was filed. Instead, Mr. Penrod, knowing I was literally on the way to get my son from his school, deliberately released my son to my ex, so when I got there he was gone. My ex took my son and disappeared with him that whole night, not returning my son until the appeal went through. I called my ex and begged him over cell phone to tell me at least where my son was, if he was still in the state or the country, or what, and he just laughed and said that I would never find them.

It was the most horrible night of my life, and it was made so much worse by knowing that this did not have to happen, but Mr. Penrod, who had been a witness in the case and was fully aware of the vicious hostility involved, chose to pick one parent over the other, directly in contradiction to the written order that I had sent him a copy of. I don’t know what to make of it. I contacted the superintendent of Lyndonville Central Schools, and she refused to take any disciplinary action against Mr. Penrod. My lawyer, Mr. Mattingly, is preparing a case for bringing charges against Mr. Penrod, so I will update you all again when I know more about that. I know a lot of you are going through your own custody issues, so I thought you might like to know that this kind of flagrant abuse can happen—your children might not be as safe at school as you think they are.

Anyway, that’s about it for me, I hope all is well with all of you! My finances are still in extremely dire straits—I am $2,000 short of the retainer fee I need to proceed with my appellate lawyer, even after my father lent me his entire life savings as collateral on a loan, so if anyone feels motivated and has some extra cash, it would be so very much appreciated. Thank you all so much for everything, all your concern and support really has made the difference. I would have given up long ago and just spiraled into a fog of despair without all of you, so thank you, thank you, I can never thank you enough.

Sincerely,
Rachel Bevilacqua

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.courttv.com/news/2007/0306/smsvengali_ap.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the deal with that subgenius case?
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads up!

If Arjuna has a "dancing" minigame, I think I'll have to get it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy fucking uh krishna? what? arjuna? do you learn to fight with a loving heart at the end? retire to the mountains? wtf? cool?

it beats shiva as ice girl though.

subgenius case: basically ugly divorce turned uglier when husband decided to introduce pictures of x-day silliness in court. the woman above didn't think it was a big deal; the judge turned out to be some kind of bluenosed piece of shit fuckface; declares her unfit for custody. a year later this shit is still going on.

it's one bitter-ass divorce, to be sure. i'm sure a lot of divorces are, this just has an angle (rather than false accusations of child abuse, it's true accusations of being in a postmodern religious organization and dancing naked with goofy religious burlesque symbols)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey some good news maybe
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i've gotten some weird emails in the last 48 hours about the policy paper i wrote last semester (CHL and nyc, perfect together) which apparently came about because someone i know tossed the link around to his brother, whose roomates aren't too big into the idea. why they cared enough to track down my gmail address is anyone's guess.

i can only shrug at this point. considering just how fucking ugly these things get, that a policy/culture war argument about weapons hasn't turned bloody (that i know of) is almost surprising. (but not really, but almost...then again very few of these sorts of national policy dickfights do turn violent, which i suppose is an argument in favor of national policy dickfighting over swordfighting.)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new new year's resolution in march: i am not going to read interviews with bands i like anymore. it's just too depressing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How so? Too human? Poor questions? They end up looking less like geniuses every time?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"existence is evil and everything is death and suffering and we suck as a race"

the ususal secular nihilist nonsense.

at least even the most hardcore christians have some kind of redemption at the end of the rainbow. david tibet comes off as less miserable, and he's an apocalyptic catholic.

also, i think becoming an artist in lieu of other pursuits, while noble (in my particular value system) would seem heinously out of place in theirs, presuming what they're saying isn't stoned shorthand for "this world is a burning house."
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do you think it's fine that a CD plays in all CD players but that an iTunes song only plays in an iPod? I don't. Something has to change," EU Consumer Protection Commissioner Kuneva was quoted as saying in a preview of an interview to be published on Monday.

i am officially an un-fan of apple at this point (the hate that dare not speak its name?) but this is fucking retarded to the max.

i mean, is it fair that RECORD CONGLOMERATES release something on BOTH vinyl and cds, when you need SEPARATE HARDWARE to play each of them?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
"existence is evil and everything is death and suffering and we suck as a race"

You know, on one hand, a part of me agrees to a degree (Except the existence is evil part, that's not nihilism, that's self-loathing with a soupçon of trite moral judgement), but on the other, it's such a boringly pathetic statement because it encourages absolutely nothing at all.

Nihilism is cute, but the most staunch professionally depressed artistes that make such platitudes never, ever take it to its natural conclusion. Either self-annihilation, if that picks your fancy, or self-focus and betterment.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Nihilism is cute, but the most staunch professionally depressed artistes that make such platitudes never, ever take it to its natural conclusion. Either self-annihilation, if that picks your fancy, or self-focus and betterment.

Ian Curtis would like a word with you.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough cookie for him, 'cause he's dead. Exception that proves the rule and all that.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNDEAD UNDEAD UNDEAD

Okay, that's enough English goth-pop for this early in the morning.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bauhaus created goth, man. As a joke. Don't blame them for kids thinking it's a good idea to run around dressed as vampires.

P.S. I <3 Bauhaus
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmission is a really great song.

killing yourself in the bathroom while listening to weeping by tg itt.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I secretly really enjoy Peter Murphy's solo stuff.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm slightly embarassed on your behalf.

unrelated: my first college suitemate had a friend whose roomate would jerk off in the bathroom while blasting a lorena mckennit cd.

ugh.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and 3 2 1 go

[url=http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/the%20things%20they%20say%204212_1023893]
"If we're crying and you're holding us and get a hard-on, we deduct points..."[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
unrelated: my first college suitemate had a friend whose roomate would jerk off in the bathroom while blasting a lorena mckennit cd.

A friend had a college roomate that kept his bottle of lotion on the radiator.

(For optimal jerking temperature, duh. I'm continually surprised by how many people give me blank stares initially, which is why I'm including the Obvious Footnote.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 5 of 48

Jump to: